Eastwood, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear

Eastwood Promoting Independence Centre, in Gateshead provides support for people who struggle to live alone allowing people live independent lives.

Eastwood is one of 4 Promoting Independence Centre's and can offer accommodation for up to 26 people at a time.

Eastwood is specialises in dementia and mental health care, physical disability and care for older people.

The staff at Eastwood work with outside organisations to help users of the centre to live independent lives.

Group: Gateshead Council

Person in charge: Susan Barnes (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Local Authority Owned , Registered for a maximum of 26 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Eastwood: click here

9.6 Eastwood has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.593)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Eastwood is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Eastwood in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.593 for Eastwood is calculated as follows: ( (171 Excellents x 5) + (59 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) + (7 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 246 Ratings = 4.593

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Eastwood is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 5.2 positive Reviews (26 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 5.2 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Eastwood?

Reviewer Connection to Eastwood

Very good experience no complaints what so ever.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

I was a little bit worried about coming to Eastwood as I have spent a lot of time in hospital and it would be a different environment. I absolutely loved it, it was what I needed. The move from hospital to here then home, it helped with my confidence and walking. The staff were fab and although I wasn't there very long, they felt like family.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

We were impressed by the care staff who were always cheerful and helpful.
As someone new to care homes, it was reassuring to see a "joined up" service involving the hospital, Council and GP practice.
We have discovered that a hospital appointment sent to Eastwood was not passed on.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

Everyone here has treated me with love, kindness and respect.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

I think the care, support and even friendship the staff and management have given to my mother has been tremendous.
The accommodation and food have been excellent.
The physio's have really worked hard on my mother and I can see the improvement in her strength and walking.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

The staff and carers have really gone above and beyond to help my mother after losing her sight. She stayed longer than intended and I can't thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

Staff are extremely attentive, friendly and helpful. The accommodation is clean and appears fit for purpose, if a little tired in some areas. The care my aunt has received to date has been second to none.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

Excellent caring staff. Super care of residents. Involved in activities.
Clean building. Good involvement of family members. Welcoming.
I particularly like the attitude of the carers to the residents - talking to them, encouraging them in activities etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

The staff are all very helpful, supportive, friendly and caring. The facilities are comfortable, clean and tidy.
The nursing medical care has been excellent

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed my experience at Eastwood. I feel that it has got me back on my feet and ready for home. I think the staff have done a good job getting me back home.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

It was quite simply a feeling that you were visiting and staying with good friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

My father spent seven weeks in Eastwood after a week in hospital with a fractured hip, he also has short-term memory loss.
The staff at Eastwood were marvellous and the home was kept spotlessly clean and was very good food.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

I was transferred from the QE hospital after a 2 week stay following a serious fall. My mobility was extremely poor on arrival but Eastwood organized a series of Physiotherapy sessions which have resulted in my walking being very much improved. They also brought in a specialist in age-related health problems who was able to diagnose, in one visit, a mobility problem I'd had for a long time but for which my GP couldn't find a cause. I was also checked for vitamin deficiency and kidney function
(an ongoing concern due to diabetes.) My diabetes was brought under control due to a different medication without damaging my kidneys even more - something else my GP hadn't managed to do. The care was excellent and the staff very patient and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

The centre provides an excellent service. They have returned my aunt to a confident mobile person, although the building is ageing, it is kept very clean and all the patients are good. I initially had a fight to get my aunt this service but I believe her stay has given her back the will to live and enabled her to return home safe and confident in her ability to do so.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

I was critical in hospital after an operation and caught sepsis and in intensive care. I cam to Eastwood with very little hope of recovering and low in mood, but I can honestly say they have saved my life and my way of thinking, I am so grateful and can say I am going home today and can look at my diary at all my lovely messages staff have left me.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

It seemed that little or no consideration to visitors - Was put in room to wait (it was 10:16 and the person we were visiting was just getting up for Breakfast (?) - then 2 staff brought a man into the room where we were waiting, an introduction would have made it seem more friendly- it seemed (in my opinion) no or little interaction/friendly involvement with visitors or the residents. The bowl of cornflakes our friend was given to her when brought down was 1) hardly any in there 2) her teeth were forgotten in room 3) her Daughter visited also and I don't believe was offered a drink as I wasn't either 4) No napkins were given to her( I had to get them for her). Doors open to reveal (Pads, storage items Cleaning supplies) - Staff seemed to me as they were cleaning up tables to make excessive noise - food (bits of toast on floor) - our Friend (the resident seemed happy enough) - I believe it was a true reflection of the Center but the Duty Management, I believe reflected poorly on the day as she seemed very cold and not interested, which unfortunately reflected on the visit. One Staff member seemed cheerful and put a ray of hope on the visit, and she seemed caring and professional. But that is 1 out of 6 that we saw/encountered.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Unlikely

Facilities: Poor

Care / Support: Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Treated with Dignity: Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Management: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Staff wonderful, great physio, good food. I feel well looked after and cared for. I felt people were helping all they could to make me well again.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed my stay at Eastwood. Food was good, staff spot on. Not bother at all when I needed any help.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

I've been treated well whilst I was at Eastwood. Staff were very good to me, I enjoyed the food very much. The building is very nice also.

How likely would you be to recommend Eastwood? Extremely Likely

It has been a good experience going to Eastwood, the staff have assisted in aiding my recovery. I have enjoyed my stay very much.

Submit a Review for Eastwood

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Eastwood

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Eastwood