Southernwood

Trafford, Allerdene Estate, Low Fell, Gateshead NE9 6LH

Southernwood Promoting Independence Centre in Gateshead provides support for people who struggle to live alone and allows people to live independent lives.

Southernwood is one of 4 Promoting Independence Centre's and can offer short term accommodation for up to 24 people at a time whilst allowing service users to meet new people and participate in daily activities.

Southernwood specialises in mental health care, dementia care as well as physical disabilities and care for older people.

The staff at Southernwood work with outside organisations to help users of the centre to live independent lives.

Group: Gateshead Council

Person in charge: Janet Regan (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Local Authority Owned , Registered for a maximum of 24 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Southernwood: click here

9.8 Southernwood has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.760)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Southernwood is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 24 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Southernwood in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.76 for Southernwood is calculated as follows: ( (224 Excellents x 5) + (59 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 288 Ratings = 4.76

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Southernwood is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 4.8 positive Reviews (24 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 4.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Southernwood?

Reviewer Connection to Southernwood

My mam was brought for assessment from the hospital she has been treated respectfully and kindly. All the staff are professional but lovely with it. The food is of a very high standard. My mam's room is lovely. The management are really nice also. I would highly recommend Southernwood for anyone's relatives as it's brilliant!

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I arrived at Southernwood as an emergency. I have been treated with care and dignity during my stay.
The is excellent and it is very clean.
The manager is excellent and always tries to help.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

When I came into Southernwood I had an infection in my toe. I was well looked after by the staff and now my mobility has improved. I am returning home today 25th April 17. But if I needed to come back for any reason I feel confident to return.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My father had to have respite care when my mother was hospitalised with terminal cancer. he suffers from dementia so could not look after himself at home. He was well fed, dressed and cared for. He suffered anxiety attacks/chest pains and the staff acted appropriately in arranging paramedics and contacting family members although it was a difficult time for us all it was a comfort to know he was safe and well cared for whilst we were working.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

From arrival to departure nothing was a trouble to the friendly and helpful staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

The staff are very helpful and pleasant. Made me very welcome. Looking forward to my next visit in August. I am so very sorry it might be closing for respite, please do not stop respite. Please.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Pleasantly surprised on my first visit to care home. Very clean. Rooms spacious. Essential furniture- plain cleanliness. Bathroom adjoining with all necessary equipment. My husband had a key worker overseeing his welfare. Staff were efficient, reliable and caring, going that extra mile to see that service users were content. Activities organised by staff. Outside entertainers came on occasion and were enjoyed by service users and staff. My husband was well cared for and wished to go again as he enjoyed the experience. I would strongly recommend this facility.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother was in Southernwood for assessment and re-rehabilitation. During her stay the staff were all friendly, welcoming and supportive to her and myself.
They cared for her very well and gave an honest and excellent assessment of her condition and behaviour.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

Staff very aware of problem facing service users and the difficulty of a small group of patients.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Felt very comfortable and welcome here. Staff treated me well and were able to accept how deaf I was and needed extra time to understand what was being said.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Clean and caring. My aunt thrived in the environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Following a period of ill health and a 2-3 week stay in hospital I was encouraged to stay in this care home facility before returning home. This proved to be the right choice as I have been extremely well looked after and thanks to the carers for retaining my independence and because of this transition I return for home tomorrow!

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

My mother suffers from 2nd stage alzheimers disease compounded by repeated water infections that require increasingly stronger antibiotics. Mam was admitted to Southernwood again for 24 hour care and and I must share my gratitude and external appreciation for the quality of care provided by all the staff at Southernwood. This home is to be commended for it's professional approach in dealing with vulnerable folk. I have no hesitation in recommending Southernwood as an excellent care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I have found the centre to be excellent. Both the staff and the food are first class. My only negative is the bed was too narrow. I have loved the company and the chatter. I have loved the day centre as I feel I have 'used my brain'.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I was in Southernwood from the 31st Jan until 14/1/16. I was very happy with the care given. All staff were there for me when I needed any support. My meals were nice, although I was also on build up drinks. Fully supported by all staff, very happy with my care, glad I came here before returning home.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Enjoyed my short time at Southernwood while waiting package of care. The support was outstanding by all staff cannot fault this service. If I need to go anywhere it would be Southernwood, very high standards. Good job we have support like this. Well done all.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother spent 4 short periods of respite at Southernwood since November 2014 until October 2015 and a 5 week period of assessment in November/December 2015 and on all occasions I was confident she was in very capable hands. My mother was very happy and had full confidence in the staff to look after her. There was a very happy family atmosphere which was very evident to me on my visits.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Having had my mother in for respite on three occasions this year, my family and I cannot thank the staff of Southernwood enough for their kind care and attention which was given to her. The standard of care was more than we ever expected and to know our mother was in good hands was most pleasing for the whole family, and gave us peace of mind to know she was being well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Love coming to Southerwood for my holidays while my son is on his holidays. He always emails to book my place which is great. Staff work very hard and are always smiling, treating everyone with respect and dignity, I would say all the staff. Love the day care activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Mum taken in for urgent respite care. Mum settled in very quickly - appeared clean, tidy, well fed and cared for. Staff friendly, very hard working, very supportive. I am impressed by the fact staff know what she has been doing, how she is coping. Very pleased with service provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

The staff are brilliant with my Nanna, who has serious dementia. They are pushing her to use her memory as much as possible, and she does seem happier while there.

They are looking after her well, and monitoring her closely. I felt very reassured that she was being well looked after. All the staff I met were friendly, and helpful and the whole building had a very lovely feel about it. Rooms are basic but very clean and have plenty of space in there.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mum was allocated respite care to enable my family to go on a much needed break. She received a warm welcome from staff and gave us very positive feedback when we returned and came to see her. Southernwood staff were very caring and monitored mum's health closely to ensure that she had access to medical support when needed. At all times they kept our family updated and could be relied on to do their best for mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother in law has recently become a resident at Southernwood and has been treated with absolute dignity, warmth and with a sincere caring attitude in this wonderful care home. The staff are very caring and they ensure all residents are very happy and feel cared for and wanted. The staff are also excellent when dealing with family members and could not do any more to ensure all involved are very happy and secure with the situation. I would highly recommend this care home to any vulnerable person who needs to be cared for and who wants to be somewhere which is very friendly and very safe. Thank you Southernwood!

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

The care at Southernwood is second to none. It's the best care ever my mother has received and this includes many hospital stays. Southernwood may not have the bells and whistles of the most expensive care homes, but the staff have show compassion and attention and have treated my mother with dignity and respect, which for me is most important. When my mother first went into Southernwood she was really frail within a week she was back to her lovely self and this was down to the care she has received. For the first time for as long as I can remember I can sleep at night knowing my mother is safe. My family cannot thank the staff enough.

Submit a Review for Southernwood

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Southernwood