Laurels Nursing Care Centre, London, London

Laurels Nursing Care Centre is thoroughly equipped to achieve quality care for up to fifty-eight residents, specialising in provision for adults diagnosed with dementia.

All professionals are trained in modern and innovative methods, making the most of the latest industry research to have a positive impact on the care of mental health.

The facility has its own separate EMI unit and is ideal also for individuals with mobility issues.

Person in charge: Donald McLeod (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Lambeth Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 68 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Laurels Nursing Care Centre: click here

8.4 Laurels Nursing Care Centre has a Review Score of 8.4 (8.409)

The Review Score of 8.4 (maximum of 10) for Laurels Nursing Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 8 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Laurels Nursing Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.0 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.365 for Laurels Nursing Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (56 Excellents x 5) + (28 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (2 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 96 Ratings = 4.365

The 4.044 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Laurels Nursing Care Centre is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 13.6 positive Reviews (68 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 13.6 Target = 0.294

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Laurels Nursing Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Laurels Nursing Care Centre

• Son-in-law of Resident/Service User
  • Stepdaughter of Resident/Service User

We cannot express enough gratitude and applause for this care home. It is being run so efficiently and with so much genuine care, love and concern for both it's residents and their families.
My step-dad received outstanding care, respect and dignity whilst there. Not only was it a care home, it was a loving home.
We would highly recommend it. Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Laurels Nursing Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Donald MacLeod, Manager at Laurels Nursing Care Centre responded to this review on 08 Nov 2017:

Dear Susan
Many thanks for your kind comments. We appreciate positive feedback.

Donald

Both my father and my mother were residents at Laurels Nursing Care Centre. I live in Australia and visited them three times a year. I never announced my arrival so therefore carried out "spot checks". The standard of care was always excellent. My parents were always well fed, well-dressed and happy. I never had any worries about their welfare when I had to return home. My father died in 2013 and my mother died very recently. The staff were as caring and considerate of me providing me with lunch and drinks whilst sitting with my dying mother. They also counselled and supported me. I recommend Laurels Nursing Care Centre unreservedly.

Donald MacLeod, Manager at Laurels Nursing Care Centre responded to this review on 12 Sep 2017:

Dear Anita,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this review. It was a pleasure to care for your mother during her final weeks. I will pass on your comments to the team.

Donald MacLeod
Manager

I visited my aunt today with my friend. My aunt was clean and nicely dressed. We chatted in the lounge and met several of the staff that care for my aunt. All were most helpful. It struck us both how attentive they all were, we took my aunt to her room - a most delicious meal was brought in for her. We were given coffees. What a lovely place.

My mother entered Laurels Nursing Care Centre as a double amputee, vulnerable, angry, scared and with dementia. A life well lived but abused with alcohol and a desperate addiction to nicotine. I loved my mother but she certainly was not the easiest person as dementia is an incredibly difficult mental disease. However, the outstanding and exceptional care and empathy shown to my mother at Laurels Nursing Care Centre will remain with me forever. As palliative care had to be administered, it was dealt with the most amazing and dignified compassionate managers. I will always be so grateful.

Donald MacLeod, Manager at Laurels Nursing Care Centre responded to this review on 09 May 2017:

Dear Joanna

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this review. It is wonderful to hear that your mother received such dignified and respectful care at The Laurels.
I will pass on your comments to the team.

Kind Regards

Dad taken to The Laurels by Social Services with Alzheimers as mum was terminally ill at home Dad seemed ok to start with. Environment depressing smelly, the ensuite "bathrooms" his handbasin was too small for a wash & the toilet (needed replacing) there is no room. Room kept being stripped. Faeces in his laundry. Lost a stone, Called GP myself. Dad not eating, the nurse did not speak English and no explanations. I was told to take a black bin bag of months of soiled linen to the launderette myself. Management changes going on. Council put an embargo. CQC review "required improvement" in most areas. Everyone got plastic aprons on for dinner. The dining room is the smelly common room, so they can just be sitting in there until food is put on tray table out of reach. Sorting the bill out with the head office was very hard work. I moved Dad as soon as I could. He is in a nice place with a "restaurant", lawned garden, tea making facilities and has no toilet issues at present. Wouldn't recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Laurels Nursing Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Facilities: Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Management: Very Poor

Rooms: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Our family would like to thank the Manager and the staff at The Laurels for the care and kindness you showed to him during his last months. It was a huge relief to us to know he was being well looked after, and to see how the staff enjoyed his company. It was such a consolation to see how he could still bring a smile to young people's faces. Death is sad enough without it being miserable too. Thank you all.

I am writing to say how thankful I am that my sister could spend these last months in the care of The Laurels. Whenever visiting, it was always clear that she was receiving much important kindness and care from the staff.
I mention especially her personal carers, but all staff seem dedicated people.
Unfortunately you were unable to see the full personality of my dear sister but I know she was appreciative of all that was done for her.
With my grateful thanks and good wishes for the future of The Laurels.

To the Home Manager and the staff of The Laurels Care Centre:-
Just a note to say thank you for the care and attention you provided for my Dad during his time spent at The Laurels.
It was your acceptance of my Dad into your Care Centre that helped me a lot when I was struggling to find a place for him back into his home Borough of Lambeth after a tough time dealing with Lambeth elderly social services due to an over stay under ‘respite care’ out of the borough in Croydon. Thanks to you, my Dad was able to spend the last year of his life in a caring and peaceful environment.
Best Wishes

Submit a Review for Laurels Nursing Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Laurels Nursing Care Centre