The Cambridge Care Home

5 High Street, Chesterton, Cambridge CB4 1NQ

The Cambridge has been purpose-built to provide care including nursing dementia care, as well as respite and palliative care. Care is also provided for those living with Huntington's.

The centre has modern care technology that includes electric profiling beds, while residents are encouraged to personalise their bedrooms. Residents can enjoy the large secure landscaped gardens that surround the home as well as a relaxing and peaceful sensory garden and a greenhouse.

Food requirements are discussed on arrival with the chef who prepares meals using fresh and local produce, with homemade cakes made to celebrate birthdays.

Residents have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of activities, such as sherry mornings, discussion groups and sing-alongs, with many visiting entertainers adding to life at the home. Trips and outings are a regular occurrence and friends and family are welcome to attend.

Person in charge: Elizabeth Addae (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cambridgeshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 90 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Filipino, Arabic, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Cambridge Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for The Cambridge Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 22 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Cambridge Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.485 for The Cambridge Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (162 Excellents x 5) + (64 Goods x 4) + (32 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 260 Ratings = 4.485

The 4.778 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Cambridge Care Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 18 positive Reviews (90 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 18 Target = 0.778

9.3 The Cambridge Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.263) from 22 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Cambridge Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Cambridge Care Home

For the short time my wife has been in The Cambridge, we have both been entirely satisfied with the care, the attention, the food and treatment being received during her stay. Disabled parking for me is good and the home nicely accessible for me and my wheelchair.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

This is the third respite stay that my mother has had here. I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful. My mother appears very content and comfortable and well cared for. I am very glad that the staff recognise my mother from previous stays and greet her. I am very happy with her care here.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have always found the staff friendly and helpful and never to busy to answer questions or address issues we may have. My father-in-law is very happy here and appears to have a very good interaction with staff members who again are always friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff looked after my Mother with skill and great compassion and care.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rooms are furnished nicely. You can bring some of your own things too.
Also, have own phone line. The carers are very good. Sometimes have to wait when using the call bell.
Food not very good often cold. The doctor visits twice a week if he's needed.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Careline Advisor at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 23 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the home and the care provided to your mother. We will endeavour to improve our response times to call bells and I will discuss with the chef the issue around food sometimes being cold. Our aim is to provide kind care and hope our families see the value in what we do.

Staff are friendly and helpful. They try and get everyone involved in the activities. They are always short staffed so sometimes it is hard to find help. My mother's nails are always dirty as they do not clean them properly. She has problems at night time as she is often left without a buzzer so she cannot call staff to get help when she needs it. The room always has a sticky floor and the window lock has been broken since she arrived. The conservatory in the living room is thick with cobwebs.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Don't know

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 09 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your positive feedback about the kind care given to your mother at The Cambridge Care Home. I apologise for not meeting the standards we strive to achieve in regard to your concerns and I will speak to the Housekeeping team in respect of the cleanliness of the Home and staff members regarding your mother’s nail care.

My relative is resident at Cambridge Care home whilst his wife recovers from an operation. The home is delightful. Room and public areas are clean and bright. All staff we have met have been so friendly, helpful and patient leaving us confident that our relative is being cared for thoughtfully and effectively.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is caring and my Aunt has commented that the nursing care (she has breast cancer) is very good. It is expensive.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 29 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your positive review in relation to the care of your Aunt at the care home. Through simple kindness and respect for your Aunt's needs, we hope to bring joy to those ordinary moments in each day. We appreciate the care may seem expensive however we aim to deliver an individualised package of care for each of our Residents.

This is a well managed and caring establishment. The staff are the strength of the place. They are well chosen - well trained and do a difficult job well. Room for improvement in the food - again difficult to please everyone but could be better.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 06 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your positive review. We aim to provide safe, welcoming and kind care to all our Residents and am pleased that this is evident to you. With regards to your concern about the food, I am sorry to hear that we have not met the rigorous standards we set ourselves. Our Catering Staff work hard to provide fresh, healthy and wholesome food for our residents; but there will be occasions where we do not meet everyone’s needs. I will be speaking to our Chef and ask him to speak to you, to see where we can make improvements in the meals that we offer.

The home is extremely well run. The accommodation is well kept and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. The number of staff is, however, minimal for the care necessary at all times.
My biggest concern, however, relates to the car parking. It is extremely difficult to get a space to visit a relative especially in the afternoons and this is believed to be largely caused by the occupants of the adjoining building occupying many of the spaces earlier in the day. This causes frustration and inevitable parking along the inner circulation roads and this impedes the ambulances when in an emergency. The position is much better at weekends and holidays when the other building is not fully occupied. This is a matter which must be resolved as a matter of urgency.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 22 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your very positive review in relation to the care of your sister. We are here to make a real difference in the lives of our residents and delivery of kind care goes a long way in achieving this. Regarding your concerns about the inadequate parking, we try to ensure that all cars have a legitimate reason to be at the home, however, I will discuss your concern with our Estates Department to see if a better solution can be found.

The care home has provided excellent care for my husband. The rooms are very clean and pleasant and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. They provide very interesting entertainment and encourage the patients to enjoy each others company. The food is appetising and nicely presented. The staff are always willing to discuss the patient and make very helpful suggestions concerning after care.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is lovely but could be cleaner in some places. Not very happy about things going missing in resident's room. i.e. A watch is missing for a long time and no one seems to know where it is, plus shoes go missing.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 19 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your kind feedback about the Home. I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy about a number of issues. I understand that the missing watch has now been found and you have seen and confirmed this with staff. I am reliably informed that the shoes have also been found. I have raised your concern with the housekeeping team regarding cleanliness and we will be monitoring this closely. Please be assured that we will do our utmost to maintain a better level of cleanliness in the future.

My mother has been a resident at this care home for only a few weeks, it was only ever meant to be short term whilst awaiting a bed in another care home. She has settled in so well and been made to feel so comfortable, she no longer wants to move to the other home! In my opinion, this care home is run by kindly staff who truly care, my mother couldn't be happier!

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 07 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your Mum has settled in well and is happy in our care. It is always nice to hear kind words about our staff and how much they care for the residents in their care.

After all the bad words you hear about care homes in the UK, this home is absolutely the reverse. My mother was very fortunate to pass the final months of her life in such a clean, sunny and caring place. The staff are absolutely first class, genuinely friendly, kindly and wonderful. Can't recommend them enough. Our thanks to all of you.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 09 Oct 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear your kind words about our staff, I'm so glad that your mother was well cared for in her final months. I will pass your lovely comments onto the home manager for you.

The care and attention given to Mum's needs are second to none meaning every day Mum, who has severe dementia, has a great quality of life, is always clean and tidy and well looked after. Because of 1:1 care staffing levels she is not a risk to herself or others. Brilliant. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administator at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 03 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased to hear that your mum is so well looked after, this must give you peace of mind when you are not there to know that she is not at risk.

What a wonderful care home. I helped with a fund raising event for my friend's dad who is in this home and I was amazed at how lovely all the staff were. Very helpful, very caring and loving. Home is very clean and tidy. I would certainly recommend this home to family and friends. Well done to everybody.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to hear the lovely comments about our staff and home. Keep up the fund raising.

Lovely caring staff providing a wonderful service and are for residents and relatives in a well-run home.
I visit most days and I am able to liaise with the staff regarding my father's care especially that he does not communicate in English anymore. Keep up the good work,

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 04 Apr 2017:

Thank you for sharing your lovely review with us, we appreciate your feedback. I am pleased that you are happy with The Cambridge and their staff. I will share your comments with the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

All staff are most helpful and kind to both residents and family members. Visitors are always welcomed and encouraged to be involved. I feel my mother is in safe and secure hands.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your lovely review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience with The Cambridge and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The home is modern and clean. I cannot recommend this care home highly enough, the staff are so lovely. My mother who is 98 years young has settled in exceptionally well due to their love and amazing care.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 19 Jan 2017:

I found great comfort in the holistic approach the Cambridge Care Home has to end of life care when my mother passed away. The staff were very supportive and caring at a difficult time in my life and their efforts were much appreciated.

How likely would you be to recommend The Cambridge Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. Please accept our condolences. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

We find on visiting my aunt that we are unable to find anyone to talk to about my aunt as to how she is and what she may need etc. It would be nice to have a name of someone that we can approach. Also, we are not sure on your policy on making sure she has a bath, who is responsible for washing of clothes etc as she doesn't know what to do. Also, as we do not live locally what is the policy regarding opticians, chiropody etc.

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Cambridge Care Home responded to this review on 25 Nov 2016:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I am based in South Africa, and it is very comforting to know that my father is receiving the care and attention befitting a man of 92. The staff treat him with dignity and respect and have no hesitation in contacting me by telephone or e-mail if there is a problem.

Submit a Review for The Cambridge Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Addae

Liz is a Registered General manager with many years’ experience in providing care and support for older people to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Having worked at The Cambridge Care Home for a number of years Liz shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident.

She extends this caring approach to her colleagues and works closely with them to deliver care and support to Residents in a way that means they gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby schools and clubs and is always keen to include the local community in life at The Cambridge Care Home.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Liz said:

“The best part of my job is having time to sit down and talk to Residents, which enables us to provide them with the best possible care.”

Outside of work Liz likes to relax cooking or sharing a good glass of red wine, and listening to jazz.

If you would like to find out more information about The Cambridge, Liz has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

T 01223 323774
W hc-one.co.uk
E thecambridge.manager@hc-one.co.uk

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Cambridge Care Home