The Granary, Bristol, North Somerset

The Granary offers a complete pathway of dementia care offering daycare, respite, residential and nursing dementia care.

A real home from home with caring staff and a wonderful environment with lots of light.

The home covers two floors with three separate areas on each floor, placed around a central circular atrium, which cascades light into all areas of the home.

Group: Shaw Healthcare

Person in charge: Caroline Carter (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Somerset District Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Detention Under Mental Health Act • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish, Romanian

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Granary: click here

9 The Granary has a Review Score of 9 (8.950)

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for The Granary is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 5 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Granary in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.4 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.533 for The Granary is calculated as follows: ( (32 Excellents x 5) + (28 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 60 Ratings = 4.533

The 4.417 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Granary is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 12 Target = 0.417

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Granary?

Reviewer Connection to The Granary

My mum (early vascular dementia & mobility issues) has only been in The Granary for a couple of weeks, and from the moment my wife and I visited to check if it was "okay", I was impressed by the space and lightness of the surroundings, the rooms were spacious and everything seemed up to date and modern.

The staff I met have, without exception, been the most helpful, accommodating and welcoming I have ever met in a care home. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them to make the residents lives easier, more comfortable, and safe. The way they treat the residents with respect is to be applauded. They constantly include all of the residents in conversation and it has been obvious to me that they care.

My mum has been anxious and worried for a long time now (she is 84 years old) and it is lovely to see that all of the staff treat her gently and kindly - nothing seems to faze them.

I thoroughly recommend The Granary if you are considering a home for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend The Granary? Extremely Likely

My wife has been looked after in The Granary care home since mid-April after being admitted under the provision of respite care. Throughout that period, the standard of care shown by management and staff has been exemplary and the general atmosphere is always very friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend The Granary? Likely

My father, who has advanced vascular dementia, moved into The Granary after being in Hospital. He was too ill to return home and The Granary was recommended by a Care Navigator. We have been pleased with the way the manager and staff have managed his care. His needs are complex and challenging, but staff are thoughtful and understanding. He has plenty of room to walk, which he does a lot and especially enjoys the garden. He and I took part in a singing session last time I was there, which was fun and stimulating.

I feel confident that the home has overcome past difficulties, which did give us pause for thought before we had seen the level of care for ourselves. The managers and staff deserve praise for the way they are caring for vulnerable and challenging people. They are really kind and make the place feel like home, as much as is possible. I feel comfortable to visit at any time and they do not make a fuss and just let me join in with whatever is going on at the time.

How likely would you be to recommend The Granary? Extremely Likely

My Father is in The Granary for enablement following a two-month stay in hospital prior to him coming to live with us. On visiting, we are very pleased to find my father in the best of health we can expect, having rallied after the lengthy hospitalisation. We found The Granary layout superior to most, the food that we have seen is excellent but paramount the staff are tremendous and nothing is too much trouble and residents are treated with dignity and respect. Not only is this apparent when visiting, but living at a distance, we never have a problem gaining a full report about our father as each and every occasion we telephone. Highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend The Granary? Extremely Likely

Although my mother was a resident for a very brief time, I don't hesitate to recommend this facility for the care of your loved one, the staff are extremely supportive, friendly, helpful and caring. The facility is clean, the individual rooms very comfortable. Please don't be swayed by the negative publicity, I highly recommend you arrange a visit and go and see for yourself, meet the lovely staff at this bright cheerful modern facility, I'm sure you be as impressed as I was!

Submit a Review for The Granary

May 2012

Paul

Paul Boon

Job Title: HR Manager

Joined: 2012

I started working for Shaw as the HR Manager in 2012 covering the Wales and South-West Region. I'm responsible for helping the managers with aspects of employing and supporting their staff team which is an incredibly varied and exciting role.

One of my main responsibilities is overseeing the recruitment of our staff. Working in care as a support worker can be a fantastic feeling. You get to make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people whilst earning a competitive salary. I meet people on a daily basis who are incredibly passionate about what they do, and its great to see our core values or 'wellness, happiness, and kindness' really being put to use when it comes to the care of our service users.

We are always on the look out for committed people who would like to compliment our existing staff team. If you would like to consider a career in care for the first time, or whether you are an experienced carer we would be happy to talk through the positions we have available with you.

If you would like to know anything please call us on 02920 365072 or you can check out our job vacancies at www.shaw.co.uk

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Granary