Sycamore Lodge

Lodge Lane, Nailsea, Bristol BS48 1LX

New to Sycamore Lodge is an 18 bedded general nursing service which is situated on the ground floor, just off the main reception with lovely views out to the surrounding garden.

Sycamore Lodge also offers a complete pathway of dementia care offering day care, respite, residential and nursing dementia care.

Sycamore Lodge offers a real home from home with a caring staff team and a wonderful environment with lots of light.

The home covers three floors and is placed around a central circular atrium, which cascades light into all areas of the home.

Group: Shaw Healthcare

Person in charge: Caroline Carter (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Somerset District Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 78 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish, Romanian

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Sycamore Lodge: click here

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Sycamore Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 10 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Sycamore Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.667 for Sycamore Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (80 Excellents x 5) + (40 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 120 Ratings = 4.667

The 4.513 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Sycamore Lodge is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 15.6 positive Reviews (78 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 15.6 Target = 0.513

9.2 Sycamore Lodge has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.180) from 10 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Sycamore Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Sycamore Lodge

My Dad who has suffered with Fronto Temporal Dementia for several years began coming to Sycamore Lodge for periods of respite care. In January 2018, due to the decline in his condition, he became a permanent resident.

It is a very tough period when trying to get used to a relative going into permanent care, and I can only praise the support that they and the team have given my Mum and myself during this time, and the continued excellent care they provide for my Dad. 95% of the time we visit unannounced and he is virtually always, dressed, having been shaved and showered. He seems happy, content and relaxed, having not shown any major decline further since January 2018. It must be one of the most challenging roles in the world, but I have only witnessed all the staff displaying compassion, care, warmth and patience.

I can only praise Sycamore Lodge and especially the kind care and attention they showed him today on his 83rd Birthday..

Well done to everyone and thank you....

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

My husband came to The Granary in August 2017 due to his Dementia that had become very difficult to cope with. The care and support that he and l have received is second to none. The staff are so caring and nothing is too much trouble. They always keep me informed of any problems that might arise and l can always contact them knowing l will always get any support and help. All the staff show great kindness and patience towards everyone. I visit the home at different times and have never found any problems regarding any care issues.

I would recommend this care home to anyone who finds themselves in this difficult situation of having to put a loved one into care.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

The overall standard of the home is good. Very friendly atmosphere, good standard of nursing care with a professional approach. Care support is also good. Recruitment of support staff and maintenance of continuity is a bit of a problem (but universal). Good efforts made by the activities team.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Likely

We can not fault the care and compassion shown to mum during her six months at The Granary. It is not easy to make the decision that full-time residential care is needed for your mum, but The Granary helped mum settle. The staff are outstanding, spending time to get to know mum, her likes, dislikes and how to settle her if agitated. What stands out is their care for Mum especially at the end of her life, ensuring she was comfortable. Mum needed soft food and meals to suit her need were always provided. A sincere thank you to all staff for all your tender loving care and support.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

I have been visiting the resident for 4 months. In that time all the staff have been friendly, helpful and pleasant.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

The staff at the Granary have helped in every way they can to make the difficult process of settling Dad in possible (I won't say easy).

I like the fact that the staff turnover is low. I regularly see the same staff which means they get to know Dad. I also like the layout of the rooms and multiple lounges etc ie it's not just a corridor with one big common room.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mum (early vascular dementia & mobility issues) has only been in The Granary for a couple of weeks, and from the moment my wife and I visited to check if it was "okay", I was impressed by the space and lightness of the surroundings, the rooms were spacious and everything seemed up to date and modern.

The staff I met have, without exception, been the most helpful, accommodating and welcoming I have ever met in a care home. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them to make the residents lives easier, more comfortable, and safe. The way they treat the residents with respect is to be applauded. They constantly include all of the residents in conversation and it has been obvious to me that they care.

My mum has been anxious and worried for a long time now (she is 84 years old) and it is lovely to see that all of the staff treat her gently and kindly - nothing seems to faze them.

I thoroughly recommend The Granary if you are considering a home for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

My father, who has advanced vascular dementia, moved into The Granary after being in Hospital. He was too ill to return home and The Granary was recommended by a Care Navigator. We have been pleased with the way the manager and staff have managed his care. His needs are complex and challenging, but staff are thoughtful and understanding. He has plenty of room to walk, which he does a lot and especially enjoys the garden. He and I took part in a singing session last time I was there, which was fun and stimulating.

I feel confident that the home has overcome past difficulties, which did give us pause for thought before we had seen the level of care for ourselves. The managers and staff deserve praise for the way they are caring for vulnerable and challenging people. They are really kind and make the place feel like home, as much as is possible. I feel comfortable to visit at any time and they do not make a fuss and just let me join in with whatever is going on at the time.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

My Father is in The Granary for enablement following a two-month stay in hospital prior to him coming to live with us. On visiting, we are very pleased to find my father in the best of health we can expect, having rallied after the lengthy hospitalisation. We found The Granary layout superior to most, the food that we have seen is excellent but paramount the staff are tremendous and nothing is too much trouble and residents are treated with dignity and respect. Not only is this apparent when visiting, but living at a distance, we never have a problem gaining a full report about our father as each and every occasion we telephone. Highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend Sycamore Lodge? Extremely Likely

Although my mother was a resident for a very brief time, I don't hesitate to recommend this facility for the care of your loved one, the staff are extremely supportive, friendly, helpful and caring. The facility is clean, the individual rooms very comfortable. Please don't be swayed by the negative publicity, I highly recommend you arrange a visit and go and see for yourself, meet the lovely staff at this bright cheerful modern facility, I'm sure you be as impressed as I was!

Submit a Review for Sycamore Lodge

May 2012

Paul

Paul Boon

Job Title: HR Manager

Joined: 2012

I started working for Shaw as the HR Manager in 2012 covering the Wales and South-West Region. I'm responsible for helping the managers with aspects of employing and supporting their staff team which is an incredibly varied and exciting role.

One of my main responsibilities is overseeing the recruitment of our staff. Working in care as a support worker can be a fantastic feeling. You get to make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people whilst earning a competitive salary. I meet people on a daily basis who are incredibly passionate about what they do, and its great to see our core values or 'wellness, happiness, and kindness' really being put to use when it comes to the care of our service users.

We are always on the look out for committed people who would like to compliment our existing staff team. If you would like to consider a career in care for the first time, or whether you are an experienced carer we would be happy to talk through the positions we have available with you.

If you would like to know anything please call us on 02920 365072 or you can check out our job vacancies at www.shaw.co.uk

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Sycamore Lodge