Townsend House, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire

Townsend House offers up to 40 residents compassionate, individualised residential, nursing and respite care. There is also a day centre within the home. Located just off the main street in the attractive village of Mitcheldean on the northern edge of the beautiful Forest of Dean, the home is situated in a quiet area close to all local amenities including shops, pharmacy, post office and library.

Cosy lounges and a bright conservatory are available to relax in, as is the secure courtyard garden on sunny days and social activities take place daily for your enjoyment. If however, you'd like a little more privacy, then your own bedroom offers a peaceful oasis. To give you the support you need when you need it, a friendly, professionally trained team are on hand around-the-clock to support you in how you wish to spend your day enabling you to continue to enjoy a fulfilling and independent lifestyle.

A dedicated Activities Coordinator organises a varied programme of events around each individual's requests, hobbies and interests. The team will be delighted to assist you to continue with existing pastimes, as well as give you the opportunity to try something new if you would like to. They make sure everyone is able to enjoy themselves to the fullest, be that with arts and crafts, a coffee morning or more individual pursuits. Visits from outside entertainers happen regularly. The home has access to a Trust minibus for trips out. Townsend House has strong community links and enjoys frequent visits from local people, popping in to chat about neighbourhood events.

A talented cook and kitchen team prepare tasty, home-cooked meals. The freshly prepared, delicious dishes are carefully balanced to get the best nutritional value and take into account individual dietary requirements and preferences. Seasonal produce is chosen whenever possible and of course, relatives and friends are always welcome to join.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Jerry James (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gloucestershire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

On entering Mitcheldean on the A4136 Gloucester Road from the A40, approach the roundabout with the Lamb Inn on the left hand side. Go around the roundabout and take the second exit up Hawker Hill. Keep following this road until it becomes the High Street when passing the church on the left.

Just after the White Horse pub and Mitcheldean Town Hall on the right, take the right turn into Court Farm Lane. Follow this narrow road uphill to the end where the car park just in front of Townsend House will be visable.

Visitors are welcome at any time.

Free parking is available outside the home.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Townsend House: click here

posted 14 Nov 2017

Nursing Care, Residential Care, Respite Care

9 Townsend House has a Review Score of 9 (9.024)

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Townsend House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Townsend House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.399 for Townsend House is calculated as follows: ( (107 Excellents x 5) + (87 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 213 Ratings = 4.399

The 4.625 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Townsend House is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 8 Target = 0.625

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Townsend House?

Reviewer Connection to Townsend House

I cannot emphasise enough how grateful I am to the management and staff for the support given to my brother whilst in their care and myself and my family through a very difficult time. The support I received was second to none and nothing was too much trouble when visiting or by telephone. Many thanks to all staff at Townsend House.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

The overall feel of Townsend House I found was friendliness, care and support. In the few months my father was there, the staff looked after him well. They were always compassionate and caring.

I feel confident my father was in good hands. The staff were especially sensitive when my father passed away quite suddenly at the home.

I felt I had made a good choice when trying to find the right place. I really liked the fact it felt like a family setting with certain staff having stayed there a long time.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

It is now over 18 months since Dad came to stay at Townsend House. The care and attention he has received in that time are second to none. All staff members treat him like a family member with care and dignity. Meals are always well cooked with a good choice each day. Dad now regards Townsend as his home which has taken all the pressure off me as his former carer. We could not have made a better choice of care home for Dad to live at.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My wife has been a resident for over twelve months. The staff are fantastic- very caring, accommodating and cheerful - even if they are short staffed. At a recent review, we raised some queries which have been quickly resolved. Thank you all for your hard work.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

Since our Mother has moved to Townsend House there has seen a marked improvement in her state of mind and wellbeing.
We believe this is due to the calm atmosphere and attentive caring staff who can meet Mum's needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

After just moving to the area we were pleased to find Townsend House after it was recommended to us. My 95-year-old Mother needed respite care for a week so we could go on holiday. We weren't disappointed, it was really nice and all the staff were so helpful. My Mother said it was the best care home that she had been in. She normally doesn't eat well when we are away but this time she ate well. I am so pleased to find Townsend House. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

The first time I came to visit someone I was impressed as soon as I walked in. It was a bright, cheery building with lovely pictures, flowers, and decorations. Very noticeable was the fact that it did not smell like most care homes/nursing homes I have previously visited. There was a nice fresh smell, and no smell in the rooms of the residents' either. This was the first thing that I noticed. The staff, have always been very kind and helpful, and although I can't comment on individual residents' care, I have heard no complaints from the person I visit. I would be pleased to be a resident there. (I am a health visitor and have been in many care homes - so can compare it)

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

Family were very impressed by the comprehensive nursing care delivered twenty four hours a day and couldn’t have imagined a better place for dad to have spent the last few months of his life . You were all incredible; always making sure dad felt safe, loved and respected. We can’t thank you enough for the support received during dads final days; there was nothing but kindness, empathy, courtesy and a great willingness to offer extra help whenever needed; Given the practical and communication problems integral to dad’s specific needs we want to thank you for the recognition and appreciation of his very distinct and individual character. We wish dad could have enjoyed the warmth of carers, the clean surroundings, positive atmosphere and excellent nursing care for a while longer but sadly this was not to be and we are left with only one thing to say and that is we are eternally grateful to all at Townsend House for looking after our dad who was so very incomparable and unique to us.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My father was transferred to Townsend House Nov 2015. He has received wonderful care since then. He is very content and calmer than we have seen him in the 4 years since my mother passed away. His specific needs (dementia and blindness) are met with kindness and understanding; all staff are patient and talk to him so he feels safe and he tells us how much he likes it there, something we never thought we would hear him say about a nursing home! When we visit one of the team will always fill us in on his day, answer any questions we have and a cup of tea is always offered! we feel like a part of a big happy family!
There are always reservations about a loved one going into a nursing home but all our worries were eliminated from dad's arrival at Townsend House and the professional but caring approach he received at that initial meeting has never waned since. The Manager, Nurses, Care Team, Housekeepers, Catering Team and Events Coordinator are a truly professional and genuinely caring team and we, as a family, cannot thank or praise them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

The staff in the lunch club day care are exceptionally good at their job showing kindness and caring above and beyond.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My partners mother goes to day care three days a week. We were apprehensive as the last place going and we really are relieved and so pleased with how all the staff treat her. They are patient, caring and work with absolute integrity. They go above and beyond their job role. They are so kind and helpful. We can totally relax knowing she is being taken good care of while we do the weekly shop etc. I sincerely am so happy that my mother-in-law loves going and we know she is being looked after so well with mental stimulation too. A very happy customer thank you

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My aunt has been here for about seven years. She was at deaths door when she arrived, no-one, least of all herself, expected her to live. Adjusting to being at Townsend House indefinitely has been very hard for her and she is frustrated that she remains here - frequently talking about "going home." Today we found her in a brighter mood, helped by new recruits to the staff - a male manager and male carer who banter and joke with her - she appreciates their humour.
We also appreciate the carers who have known her a long time, for whom she will do things eg. have a bath. The staff felt more relaxed than on previous visits. We enjoyed lunch in a private sitting room laid in the hope that my aunt would join us, but she preferred to stay in her room. We felt the home looked welcoming, was clean and had varied activities going on. My aunt did smell of stale urine, but might have been a result of her non-cooperation.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Likely

Stephen Clarke, Home Manager at Townsend House responded to this review on 30 Nov 2015:

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are pleased that you have commented positively about Townsend House. I would be very happy to discuss any of the matters you raise in more detail and please do make contact with me next time you're visiting the home.

My mother, was a resident at Townsend for six years, chosen as she'd lived and worked in Mitcheldean and knew lots of staff. Although she wouldn't have chosen to end her days in a care home, she appeared to accept it and be quite content. (Hard to tell ans she had dementia). But she was seldom distressed. I cam to regard it as a second home and was always made to feel welcome and the staff were very supportive to me through these difficult six years and extremely supportive when mum died. I'm glad she was there not alone. I am retired CSI (now CQC) inspector.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

This home has gone down over the last two years. Some of the carers are very hard working but others are lazy. The food has gone down rapidly. The menu's have a lot to be desired.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Robert Strzelczyk, Area Operations Manager at Townsend House responded to this review on 26 Oct 2015:

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is appreciated and the points you raise will be addressed. We are aware of the issues around quality of meals and the new home manager will be taking steps to address these as a priority. In relation to staffing, we do, unfortunately, have a shortage of our own nurses. We continue to work very hard to recruit into vacant posts but are not receiving applications from suitable candidates. I can assure you that agency nurses are used as a last resort. Overall staffing levels are under continuous review and I would like to reassure you that current arrangements are adequate to the occupancy levels in the home. I note your concern about standards, and again, would reassure you that we will review working practices in the home to ensure that all members of the team are performing to an acceptable standard. Please do not hesitate to discuss any concerns you may have with the home manager.

The home is quite pleasant and peaceful. Everyone looks after me and I've made friends with others I enjoy a good chat it's like home.

Was good when I came here but standards have slipped. Too many agency nurses used, short of staff. Food not very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Neither Unlikely or Likely

When my wife has become too much for me to care at home it was devastating for me. I had visited quite a number of care homes and I must admit that I was very worried for her. I visited quite a number of homes but all were not suitable.
Then I was told of Townsend house. As soon as I went there, I was impressed by the cleanliness and a 'non-smelling-' atmosphere. It was such a relief. During the time my wife has been here, my worries have diminished so I can sleep more easily. The ratings below will tell you how much I appreciate the love and care shown to my wife.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

I recommended the home to a friend for his mother as he was looking for one and gave him a list of questions to ask, which pleased to say they answered well and gave him confidence that he was doing the right thing.

Submit a Review for Townsend House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Townsend House