Bankhouse Care Home, Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire

Bankhouse offers a wide range of residential care options including dementia, palliative, convalescence and respite care and care for individuals who are living with Parkinson's and Huntington's.

A converted private house, Bank House has been extensively refurbished and redecorated to provide a homely environment allowing residents to feel relaxed and secure. Accommodation includes a mix of single and double bedrooms as well as three premier suites which have their own private access and ensuite wet rooms.

The varied seasonal menu includes an interesting range of highly nutritious meals, while the home ensures there are light snacks available throughout the day and a night-bite menu.

Residents are encouraged to continue with existing hobbies and engage in a wide range of organised activities including cake making, painting and quizzes to name but a few. The Pets as Therapy organisation also visits regularly, bringing friendly animals with them.

Person in charge: Janet Barnes (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Lancashire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 52 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Czech, Thai

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Bankhouse Care Home: click here

8.6 Bankhouse Care Home has a Review Score of 8.6 (8.563)

The Review Score of 8.6 (maximum of 10) for Bankhouse Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4 out of 5 from 13 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Bankhouse Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 3.986 for Bankhouse Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (49 Excellents x 5) + (61 Goods x 4) + (24 Satisfactorys x 3) + (9 Poors x 2) + (3 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 146 Ratings = 3.986

The 4.577 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Bankhouse Care Home is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.4 positive Reviews (52 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 10.4 Target = 0.577

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Bankhouse Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Bankhouse Care Home

My elderly mother entered Bankhouse last month after a period in hospital. She sadly passed away after a relatively short period. The nursing, care and administrative staff were all wonderful - they could not have done more to help my mother. They also made it as easy and caring as possible for my family and I who were obviously in a strange environment under difficult circumstances. We were pleasantly surprised by the friendly atmosphere and the warmth of the staff who at times are working under quite stressful circumstances. Thank you to them all.

Activities: Don't Know

We always find everyone here cheerful and helpful, ready to assist in any situation. We are so relieved that my dad is receiving such good care and is in such capable hands. Bankhouse Care Home also maintains a high standard of hygiene and cleanliness.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Bankhouse Care Home responded to this review on 04 Oct 2017:

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear that your dad is well cared for, this must give you peace of mind.

A very friendly happy atmosphere, very clean. Staff are very helpful and hard working. Nothing is too much trouble and they always have a smile for everyone. I have attended a number of events and summer fairs including, Macmillan coffee afternoons, Christmas fairs and had a lovely time, each time and always well organised and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to know that you enjoy the different things on offer and that you find a friendly atmosphere when you visit, it is the little things like a smile that makes all the difference.

My friend has been resident here only a short while, but we have found the experience very positive and friendly.

The staff are caring and kind and very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Bankhouse Care Home responded to this review on 03 Oct 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

Overall, my husband is very happy to reside here, now that I am unable to care for him at home.

The staff are caring, pleasant and willing to assist residents and visitors alike. My one concern is that staff are too few in numbers, in my opinion. I am impressed that they always do their best in spite of staffing levels.

It would be good if there were more trips organised for outside of the home, but this would require available transport which is suitable for residents. Should be considered by senior management. I await new owners/managers style etc with interest.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Likely

The home is set in a garden and is clean and well furnished.

The staff are pleasant and work in the best interests of patients, but at times, seem overworked. Sometimes there appears to be insufficient staff. Agency staff are used - who are very efficient - but do not know the history and personal preferences of the patients (not their fault). My husband appears to be comfortable and accepting.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Bankhouse Care Home responded to this review on 27 Sep 2017:

The downside; I was resident for one month and had to prove I did not have Alzheimer's disease. I had a communication problem with the medical nurse, one night my sleeping pill was not given then two nights later I was given two. Another night I was one pill short which came an hour later. There was a shortage of decent sized drinking mugs and the odour on the second floor was strong. My bedlinen was only changed once. Only able to converse with one resident. The upside; The site is nicely situated, the rooms are quite good. The staff were pleasant and the handyman very helpful. The food was quite good but delivery to the room erratic and could be better organised.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Rachel Elliott, Customer service Administrator at Bankhouse Care Home responded to this review on 03 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The care home has a lovely welcoming atmosphere. All the staff are friendly and cheerful and enthusiastic. My grandmother seems comfortable and well cared for and enjoys the food.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Service Administrator at Bankhouse Care Home responded to this review on 27 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Having looked at a few nursing homes for mother-in-law, my husband and I immediately liked the "feeling" of Bankhouse. We were right to choose it as the staff are very friendly and approachable and do a good job. Mother-in-law says the food is mostly very good. I think they are trying to improve with activities but not all elderly people want to be bothered with them. Maybe water provided in the rooms would be good.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Extremely Likely

A big thank you for organising my fathers 90th Birthday, it was a very special day.
My father will not normally venture out of his room and if it wasn't for the support of the staff, this celebration would not have materialised.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Bankhouse Care Home responded to this review on 08 Jul 2016:

Our dad was 90 on 15/6/16. On the 18/6/16 the home provided a lovely birthday celebration for our dad, everything was lovely and it's all thanks to entertainment manager that we managed to get dad in the conservatory for 3 hours. This is the first time since Christmas he has clear out of him room, so all in all it was a wonderful day!

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Likely

On first viewing we thought this care home would be ok and booked our neighbour in for one month post knee replacement. Within days I could see that the patient wasn't happy, tiny room, noisy day and night food inadequate and the continual leaving for hours just sitting in the lounge with no stimulation, we thought that with the brand name of this care provider (who I worked for in the past) we thought she would get the care and support needed for recovery. We very soon sourced a different care facility for her, hence she left after ten days. No water available. The cost does not equate to the care provided. Food and interaction should be of importance to these elderly people and this home didn't live up to any of these.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankhouse Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Staff: Poor

Management: Poor

Rooms: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Bankhouse Care Home responded to this review on 24 May 2016:

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience of care at one of our homes. Our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. If you would like to contact our customer services team you can email feedback@bupa.com so that we can discuss this feedback further. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Whilst visiting my mother in Bankhouse Nursing Home, I was taken ill and I would like to record my thanks to two members of staff.

The Sister in charge came to my assistance and carried out my temperature, blood pressure etc. She stayed with me during my episode and even asked me if I would like to lie down. Eventually after about an hour, it was decided I should go home and another member of staff organised for a wheelchair to be brought to me. He then pushed me to my car, ensured I got in safely, and drove me home. He then organised for someone to call and collect him from my home and return him to Bankhouse.

Submit a Review for Bankhouse Care Home

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Bankhouse Care Home