St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home

Foundry Lane, Halton on Lune, Lancaster LA2 6LT

St Wilfrids Hall Nursing and Care Home in Lancaster is a beautiful country house that has been sympathetically converted to provide residential and nursing care for up to 36 elderly people, including trial stays, respite breaks and convalescent care as well as long term care.

The care home in Lancashire was originally built as a substantial family residence and many period features have been retained following its conversion and extension into a care home of true distinction.

St Wilfrids’ focus is on providing elegant living in keeping with the home’s grand history. Residents’ bedrooms are decorated and furnished to the highest standards, and enjoy wonderful views over the Lune Valley. Bedrooms and communal rooms benefit from beautiful period features, including leaded glass windows, mullion stonework, an oak staircase and a beautiful day room featuring Walnut veneer panelling.

Residents are encouraged to bring important personal possessions to personalise their rooms. St Wilfrids operates an open visiting policy, where residents and loved ones may visit at convenient times. In common with all of their homes, St Wilfrids Hall’s care homes manager has a qualified nursing background.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Melanie MacDonald (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Lancashire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 41 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Profound & Multiple Learning Disabilties • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home: click here

The Review Score of 8.8 (maximum of 10) for St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.2 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.602 for St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (94 Excellents x 5) + (22 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 128 Ratings = 4.602

The 4.238 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 8.2 positive Reviews (41 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 8.2 Target = 0.488

8.8 St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home has a Review Score of 8.8 (8.840) from 11 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

My mum spent many happy months before she passed away last month. The staff did a wonderful job looking after her every need.
Thankfully I was able to visit regularly and found the staff to always be happy friendly and helpful. Even when I could not visist I was always able to get an update and be confident she was well looked after. Thanks to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

My Uncle has resided at St Wilfred's for two months. The care and friendship he has received is outstanding. A big thank you to the wonderful staff for the exceptional care you provide.

Another friend and myself visited our friend and do so every week. We have always been pleased with the way she is looked after and treated at St Wilfrids but yesterday the three of us were given afternoon tea together in the lounge - the whole experience was wonderful and will leave a lovely memory - our friend although she will not remember it, had a wonderful afternoon, and we can only say a very big thank you to all the staff.

There were not enough staff. The staff seemed caring enough when available, but residents weren't responded to quickly enough. My late father-in-law, who passed away at St Wilfrid's in December 2017, was left waiting for assistance for much too long during the night.
There was also an issue about his clothes disappearing after being taken to the laundry, and he was often dressed in someone else's clothes, which upset him. St Wilfrid's needs to employ more staff.

How likely would you be to recommend St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home? Unlikely

All the staff have been kind and polite. They could not do enough.

My mother is clean, comfortable and calm.

As far as I am concerned. I cannot fault this care home in any way at all my mother is quite happy and treated as I would have hoped for. The staff are very friendly and always willing to help. Plenty of interest is available to all due to the entertainment organiser, which I find very important. This place is most suitable for my mum.

A peaceful place. Very calming staff always around. Always helpful and have time to chat. Respond to your needs and nothing is too much trouble.

A beautiful home. Carers always conscientious and helpful and friendly at all times. A friendly and caring atmosphere.

My sister has been a resident for two years at St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home. I am a frequent visitor. At no time have I never had any reason to complain about the caring standards. The food is of a high standard, choice and presentation etc. The medical attention is excellent if a doctor is required it is dealt with promptly. To summarise. I am very satisfied with my sister's situation.

My aunt thinks the staff are very nice and it's a nice place to be. I find that my aunt is kept clean and well presented. The food is very good according to her. The bed is comfy and the activities are arranged regularly. The staff are always busy.

St Wilfrids is a small care home with a feeling of home from home. All care workers are very patient with our mother and very supportive to us. We are very happy knowing our mother is being well looked after in all aspects of her care. Residents are taken out to visit garden centres, etc and enjoy a lunch, mostly driven by a care worker in her car. However I am concerned regarding Doctors visits, would it not be possible for a Doctor to attend the care home once a week to discuss with the care workers the residents.

Alasdair Swan, Home Manager at St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home responded to this review on 09 Dec 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to review St Wilfrids, we really appreciate your feedback. At St Wilfrids we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities. There are weekly visits from the local GP surgery most of our residents are registered with, when they will see any residents registered with their practise.  Some residents have retained their own GPs from other areas who only attend when requested. We always welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope that you will continue to share your suggestions with us in the home in future.

Submit a Review for St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home

December 2016

Melanie MacDonald

I lead my professional Care Team in delivering the highest level of care and support for our residents.

My commitment to professional development has equipped me well for my role here, where I work hard to ensure that those in my care lead happy and fulfilling lives, whilst maintaining choice over the care and support they receive.

I believe in maintaining strong relationships with residents and their relatives and understand the important contribution that these relationships make to the successful running of a care home.

I feel that the Caring Homes philosophy matches up well with my own beliefs on care provision, and I am committed to ensuring that all our residents continue to receive the high levels of care and protection they deserve.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Wilfrids Hall Nursing Home