Lake & Orchard Care Centre, York, North Yorkshire

Lake and Orchard Care Centre is a specialist facility focusing on provision for complex mental health, as well as dementia care and assisted living.

The property has benefitted from extensive refurbishment, making the most of its potential as an environment for care provision and employing a team committed to bespoke provision. Staff are trained in assisting with physical and psychological conditions, with the home being dedicated to positive care pathways.

Based on a vision for dignity and independence, the home has landscaped gardens and is located in scenic North Yorkshire.

Group: Embrace

Person in charge: William Partridge (Service Managers)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Yorkshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 99 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Neuropathic • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Lake & Orchard Care Centre: click here

6.6 Lake & Orchard Care Centre has a Review Score of 6.6 (6.551)

The Review Score of 6.6 (maximum of 10) for Lake & Orchard Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 3.5 out of 5 from 4 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Lake & Orchard Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.1 out of 5 from 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 3.5 for Lake & Orchard Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (10 Excellents x 5) + (22 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) + (8 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 48 Ratings = 3.5

The 3.051 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Lake & Orchard Care Centre is based on 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 = 3

2. Target of 19.8 positive Reviews (99 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 1 Reviews ÷ 19.8 Target = 0.051

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Lake & Orchard Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Lake & Orchard Care Centre

• Son-in-law of Resident/Service User

The home is clean and tidy and the staff are polite and caring. The meals are very nice and there are always drinks available.

How likely would you be to recommend Lake & Orchard Care Centre? Likely

Alene Campbell, Operations Director - Embrace Care at Lake & Orchard Care Centre responded to this review on 19 Dec 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to lodge your review. I am pleased to note how happy you are with the services that our hard-working and dedicated team are providing. It is nice for them to have their good works recognised. All the best to you at this festive time of year.

I would discourage anyone from placing a family member in this home.
We found the cleanliness of the rooms/ bathrooms/ floors and clients well below even a basic standard.
We were advised on a number of occasions that it was due to a lack of staff and on one occasion we were advised: "we did not understand".
Clothes were all labelled, however, a large amount of items went missing and other people's belongings were frequently left in the wrong room. Laundry was very poor and even though we were advised we would deal with Special laundry items, expensive jackets were washed at 60° instead of them retained for us to take for dry cleaning.
The bed was never made up. A quilt cover or only a sheet on the bed. The quilt spent most of the time stored on top of the wardrobe.
I could go on, but safe to say I am glad we have broken ties with this place.
I would strongly recommend that your information needs vastly revising and that you were more honest about what you actually provide.
CQC revisit!

How likely would you be to recommend Lake & Orchard Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Staff: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

I was disappointed to read your review and find that you were unhappy with the service from our home. I have spoken to the home manager and he is not aware that any of your issues have been raised with us. I am sorry that this opportunity appears to have been missed, as had our staff been made aware, they would have been only too happy to investigate and address your concerns in a timely manner.

I can confirm that in the last month the home has been visited by officials from three independent bodies – safeguarding, the local council and an internal quality auditor – and all three have complimented the home on its cleanliness and the fact that there are no malodours anywhere within the building.

In relation to the other concerns you raise, again, if they had been mentioned to staff at the time they would have been investigated immediately. I have checked with the home manager and he is not aware of any complaints about items regularly going missing, the laundry service being unacceptable, or issues relating to bedding being inappropriate or beds not being made.

At Embrace we pride ourselves on providing care that is based on the needs of each individual resident. While we had no previous knowledge of the concerns raised in this review, for reassurance purposes, I have asked the home manager to carry out additional checks to ensure that our standards remain high and that our residents continue to be treated with the care and respect they deserve.

I have lived here nearly a year now I think and in that time I've made lots of friends and everyone is always nice to me. I'm never lonely now and always have someone here who I can talk to. I like the food because it is fresh and homemade every day and there is so much to choose from. The girls are great and always help me if they see me struggling and always try to give me a bath as often as I want as missed them when at home before coming here. The fancy seats are a miracle. Now it's nearly Christmas and I couldn't think of a better place to be, as now my family have peace of mind that i'll be safe and looked after while they get on with their lives.

How likely would you be to recommend Lake & Orchard Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mum has been in the home for about 4 weeks so I am still learning about the home. I asked her for her opinions but she is still quite confused so all comments and opinions are mine. I am very happy with the home- the food seems good, her room is an excellent size and has a rural feel to it. The carers all seem very helpful and are happy to let mum sit in the dining room so she can look out of the window.

Submit a Review for Lake & Orchard Care Centre

October 2013

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Lake & Orchard Care Centre