Penylan House Community Nursing Home

Penylan Road, Cardiff CF23 5YG

Penylan House has been providing residential, nursing, dementia and convalescence care for more than 50 years. The fully redeveloped modern and spacious, purpose-built facility now has 75 single, ensuite bedrooms, five well-furnished lounges and two dining rooms. Penylan House also boasts a large landscaped garden, a cinema room and hair salon.

Owned and operated by Linc Care, Penylan House provides the highest standards of accommodation and person-centred care, with highly experienced registered nurses and care assistants. RNIB Cymru and the Alzheimer's Society have worked closely with Linc Care, advising on both the layout and the interior design of the building to support residents with memory loss or dementia.

Activities are regularly arranged and specialist sensory equipment is used on a one to one basis and for group activities. A high quality and varied menu is provided and planned around people’s likes and dislikes.

Group: Linc-Cymru Housing Association Ltd

Person in charge: Kay Mitchell (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cardiff Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 75 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on Penylan House Community Nursing Home: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

The Review Score of 6 (maximum of 10) for Penylan House Community Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Penylan House Community Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 1.5 out of 5 from 1 positive Reviews in the last 2 years. (A 2 year period has been used as there were no positive reviews in the last 12 months)

The Average Rating of 4.443 for Penylan House Community Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (44 Excellents x 5) + (26 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 79 Ratings = 4.443

The 1.534 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Penylan House Community Nursing Home is based on 1 positive Reviews in the last 24 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 = 3 then divided by 2 = 1.500

2. Target of 15 positive Reviews (75 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 1 Reviews ÷ 15 Target = 0.067 , then divided by 2 = 0.034

6 Penylan House Community Nursing Home has a Review Score of 6 (5.977) from 7 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Penylan House Community Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to Penylan House Community Nursing Home

Having experienced the level of care in other care homes, I can say that without a doubt that Penylan House is the best by far.
I think the standard of care and management is so much better because its not run like a profit making business, its not about the bottom line, the ratio of staff is more than the minimum required by law, so if someone is off sick the place doesn't descend into chaos.

The carers and nurses wear the same colours, everyone is equal. All staff have time and kindness in abundance. including management.

I sleep at night. priceless.

And the place never smells.

My only wish is the carers were paid more, they do an amazing job.

Food sometimes not good (I have offered to cook) but mostly ok.

The food gripe is tiny when compared to all the pluses.

How likely would you be to recommend Penylan House Community Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Kay Griffiths, Nursing Home Manager at Penylan House Community Nursing Home responded to this review on 20 Jul 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Knowing families feel safe in the knowledge that their loved one is being cared for is the highest compliment we can possibly receive. It is great to know that we are being recognised as the caring and safe home we set out to be.

In a recent survey we conducted, 97% of our residents and relatives agreed that they are satisfied with the range and choice of meals provided at our home. We are however, always looking for ways to improve the services we offer, therefore we welcome your feedback about the food. We have a Food Tasting Group comprising of residents and relatives where ideas are regularly discussed and improvements to the dining experience at Penylan House are made. We will be in touch to invite you to join the group should it be of interest to you.

Excellent standard of care but sometimes let down by large turnover of staff and having to use agency staff. Great activities but unfortunately nothing on the weekends.

How likely would you be to recommend Penylan House Community Nursing Home? Likely

Kay Griffiths, Nursing Home Manager at Penylan House Community Nursing Home responded to this review on 17 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Firstly I would like to assure you that we are investing heavily in the recruitment and retention of staff. All our staff have a full week of induction along with ongoing training and support. Our staff turnover has significantly reduced and this is something we are constantly monitoring. We plan activities for the weekend however if you have any other ideas you would like to share with us, please let us know and we will do our best to arrange.

If I had to choose a care home in Cardiff I would certainly choose this one and have already booked it favourably to several friends. My family is very pleased that I am here. The staff are very kind and friendly and always smiling, which means a lot. They are most helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I don't yet know how long I shall be here.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are so pleased that you are enjoying life at Penylan House. Thank you for your feedback which we will share with our team.

Mother in secure unit. She feels safe and well cared for. The carers are always pleasant and helpful and nothing seems too much trouble for them. Sometimes at weekends they are understaffed but this isn't always the case. Her bedding and clothes are changed every day and she is encourage to get dressed as often as possible. The food could be improved on as she only takes liquids so apart from soup its mainly juice, it would be nice to see some healthy drinks, vegetable juices and freshly made smoothies.

Kay Griffiths, Nursing Home Manager at Penylan House Community Nursing Home responded to this review on 19 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to complete your feedback. It is lovely to know that we are succeeding in most of what we hope is seen as a caring and safe place for your mother to live.

I am always seeking ways to improve our service and look forward to meeting up with you to discuss how we can do just that whilst meeting your mother's dietary requirements. Thank you very much for the suggestions, we do our best to provide variety and choice, so new ideas are always welcome.

Our care staff numbers remain constant across the 7 day week with no reduction at weekends. There will be times when due to unforeseen circumstances (staff calling in sick), we may have less than normal. Having said that, I am sure you will appreciate our staff ratio is well above the norm and we are always more than adequately staffed.

The staff are well trained, work long hours caring for complex needs. Excellent forward looking manager. Rooms light and airy, communal rooms are varied. Wide range of activities which vary from week to week. Best of all is the availability of clinical community support- G.P. chiropody, dentist, in house hairdresser and clothes and accessory retailers bringing wares to the home. Lifestyle choices of residents encouraged enabling choice and control for residents. Also dignity in care is obvious.

Thank you so much for your review. Ensuring the wellbeing, dignity and choice of our residents is at the heart of everything we do at Penylan House. We value your feedback and we will share it with the team.

This is the second home my wife has been in. Have seen many others before deciding to come to Penylan. Care today is expensive. My wife has been in care seven years, so money gets a problem. Management and staff at Penylan meet all our needs.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Our home is well staffed and our staff are well trained and supported. We know that investing in and valuing our staff is central to the provision of good care. We strive always to deliver the best standard of care we can and as a not for profit organisation, all money raised in our nursing homes is invested in the delivery of person centered care focusing on individual preferences, choice and wellbeing.

This is the first time I have visited this type of facility. I am most impressed with the service provided. All the staff I have met have been friendly and helpful. I and my friend are Welsh language speakers and I have been able to communicate with some of the staff in Welsh. Diolch yn fawr (Many Thanks)

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Providing high quality care together with ensuring the wellbeing, dignity and choice of our residents is at the heart of everything we do at Penylan House. Thank you for your feedback which we will share with our team.

Submit a Review for Penylan House Community Nursing Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Penylan House Community Nursing Home

Piotr

Piotr Romanski

Job Title: Senior Care Assistant

Life before Linc…

I moved to the UK in 2011 and started my career in healthcare in Scotland, working as a Care Assistant before being promoted to a Senior Care Assistant. Before this I lived in Poland, working in a bank and also as a Sales Representative.

What my job involves…

My job involves helping elderly people who are not as independent as they used to be. I lead a team of Care Assistants on my shift, as well actively participating and supervising the delivery of care to residents to ensure their physical, social, intellectual and emotional needs are met. I work closely with the residents, relatives and external professionals such as GP’s to write and implement person centred care plans which are in-line with the resident’s personal wishes and preferences. I administer medication to the residents living in the Holly Community, as well as the ordering and administration of medicines management in line with policies and procedures. I also provide effective leadership for care staff through supervision, support and mentoring in all aspects of care, and Linc is supporting me to complete my QCF Level 3 in Health & Social Care.

The most rewarding thing about my job…

My previous job roles were very different. I had to sell products and convince people they needed what I had to offer. Instead of this I am doing my best to look after others by offering them the help and support they really need. My job is important and very rewarding. I feel useful knowing that I am able to improve the resident’s quality of life.

The most challenging thing about your job…

Working long shifts can be a challenge, but by making great relationships with our residents and other staff we can turn a long day at work into a very pleasant experience.

My message for someone considering working at Penylan House…

A friendly and honest approach towards residents and other members of staff is the key. We have to work together in the best interests of the residents, so good team work is crucial.

My message for someone looking for a Nursing home placement for their loved one…

As well as working at Penylan House, I also do some work through an agency as a Care Assistant on my days off in other local residential and nursing homes. I would strongly suggest people visit the different homes that are available and focus on the environment and the staff that work there, including the ratio of staff to residents. Paying special attention to the residents who already live there is the best and most genuine testimony of the quality of care the home provides.

Melanie

Melanie Hill

Job Title: Nurse

Joined: 2015

Life before Linc…

I previously worked as a Nurse for 6 years on a busy neurosurgery ward, and for 16 years as a Sister on a dialysis unit. Making the decision to move into a nursing home environment was a huge change, but one I’m really glad I made.

What my job involves…

I work on Willow, a 15 EMI nursing community. I lead my team of care staff to deliver high standards of person centred care. My role is varied, and includes medication, care planning, wound and catheter care, and GP rounds. I have to liaise on a daily basis with speech therapists, dieticians, psychiatrists and the tissue viability team. No two days are ever the same though!

Why I chose to work at Penylan House…

When I was looking for a new role I was impressed with how friendly everyone was, the standard of the facilities, and also the support offered by management to help me transition into nursing in a care home. The rolling rota is great, its means I can balance my work and home life commitments and I’ve built a team of great staff that I work with every day. Working with the same staff each day makes a massive difference to the continuity of care the residents receive. My staff team are wonderful!

The most rewarding thing about my job…

Seeing the residents happy and settled, knowing that their families trust us and know they are in good hands. Some of our residents no longer have the ability to say how they feel due to their dementia, but when they hold your hand and look into your eyes and smile you know you are doing your job well.

The most challenging thing about your job…

Working with residents with dementia means that things can be unpredictable. I have developed new skills in deescalating situations and creating a relaxed environment. You need lots of patience and a calm approach.

My message for someone considering working at Penylan House…

I have taken a complete change of direction by working at Penylan House. Moving away from a highly clinical and demanding senior role to a calmer pace where you have the time and space to build effective therapeutic relationships with your residents is invaluable and is what nursing is really about.

Penylan House is a wonderful place. It has lovely and friendly staff who are trained to deliver high standards of care. Above everything, the staff genuinely care and want the best for all of our residents.

James

James Marsh

Job Title: HR Business Partner

Joined: 2014

Within my job role I support our Nursing Home managers with the recruitment of staff to support our vulnerable residents.

Joanne

Joanne Maher

Job Title: Care Assistant, Nights

Joined: 2013

Life before Linc…

I had worked in a variety of roles including administration, hospitality and retail. This job is quite different to those I have done before. Our residents are more than just customers or guests, they are fully dependent on us for their care and well-being, so there is a lot of responsibility. I work nights as it helps me balance my family commitments which suits my personal needs.

What my job involves…

I take care of our all of our resident’s needs, including supporting them with their personal care, promoting their independence, and encouraging and supporting them with all aspects of their daily and nightly routines. It’s important to make them feel comfortable, safe, valued, and happy within their environment.

Why I chose to work at Penylan House…

I originally worked at Linc’s Nursing Home in Newport, Capel Grange, but transferred to Penylan House as the shift times were more suitable for my personal commitments. The home has a good reputation for providing excellent care and the standards are really high. The home is friendly and welcoming, and the team I work with is great.

The most rewarding thing about my job…

We are like one big family! Staff and residents get along really well. We all support and help one another to the best of our ability. Working through the night can be hard, but I go home knowing I have made a difference to somebody’s day, whether that is just taking the time to sit and have a cup of tea and a chat with a resident, or telling them a joke and seeing them smile. Knowing you have had a positive effect on them is a great feeling, and making sure the residents are happy and content makes the staff happy too.

The most challenging thing about your job…

Seeing resident’s health decline isn’t easy. When they become unwell seeing a resident in discomfort or frightened takes skill and experience to handle and support them. We work within a great team of trained carers and nurses who do everything they can to ensure the residents don’t suffer and are treated with the dignity they deserve at all times.

My message for someone considering working at Penylan House…

Do it! It is such a rewarding job and you’ll be supported by great colleagues. The job has challenges, but everyone is friendly and its really rewarding.

We do everything we can to provide the best levels of care. We are all trained in the ‘Eden Alternative’ which allows us to deliver person centred care to each individual. We are there to make your loved one feel safe, happy and supported as much as possible. We are all here to work in the best interests of the residents, and their comfort and well-being is the most important thing and why we come to work.

Flor

Flor Nessbert

Job Title: Care Assistant, Nights

Life before Linc…

Before I joined Penylan House, I had worked in care before, but out in the community visiting people in their own homes, as well as undertaking some voluntary care work.

What my job involves…

Getting to know each resident well, so I can meet all of their needs in a respectful and dignified way. Working at night means we get to support the residents with all of their care needs at night, including personal care, supporting with eating and drinking, and most importantly making sure they feel happy and settled.

Why I chose to work at Penylan House…

I wanted to work in a place where the residents come first, and the approach towards them was warm and caring. The training I have received whilst working for Linc is much more detailed than other companies and I have been able to put this learning into practice.

The most rewarding thing about my job…

Sometimes helping a resident with what seems like the smallest of things can make them smile and be happy. What can appear as a little thing to us can be big things for the residents so it’s important we get to know them well and what makes them happy. Talking to them and finding out what they did for a job and their personal history before entering the home is extremely interesting, and it makes you proud to be part of their life. When supporting our residents who have dementia it is rewarding to see that the person is still there, no matter how much their condition may be effecting how they present.

The most challenging thing about your job…

Every night shift can be different! Sometimes we have to be extremely patient and when a resident is unwell it can be hard to see, however knowing you are doing all you can to make them feel better and reassure them that everything will be fine is a rewarding part of the job. Some of the residents can become confused and frightened at times, so you need to remain calm, think about the individual you are looking after, and do everything you can to support them.

My message for someone considering working at Penylan House…

It’s a great place, with opportunities to grow and develop. I was pleased to have recently been asked to support the manager with the recruitment of new care staff by sitting in on the interviews and then taking them on a tour of the home afterwards. As well as making sure we get the right staff, it’s important to make sure it’s the right job and place for you!

Your loved one will be well looked after by a hardworking and dedicated team of staff. The environment is clean and safe, and there is always lots of activities designed personally for them.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Penylan House Community Nursing Home