Finney House

Flintoff Way, Preston PR1 6AB

Finney House is a purpose-built care home which provides residential, general nursing and palliative care for people over the age of 65. It also offers dementia palliative care. Residents receive a high standard of one-to-one care in a pleasant and friendly environment. The highly trained and dedicated staff strive to enrich the lives of both the residents and their families, through the home’s state-of-the-art facilities, which residents are encouraged to make full use of.

Each resident has their own bedroom with a flat-screen television and ensuite facilities. There are also activity rooms, libraries, sensory gardens, a hair and beauty salon, a wellbeing room, and an onsite cinema. Residents can spend time socialising in the home’s hubs and lounges, or relaxing in the quiet areas.

Meals can be taken in the home’s bistro-style dining rooms or in the resident’s bedroom, with room service available 24 hours a day. Meals are well-balanced and nourishing, prepared in the home’s kitchen, with a wide choice available at all mealtimes.

Group: London & Manchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Jane Swift (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Lancashire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 64 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Finney House: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Finney House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 22 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Finney House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.641 for Finney House is calculated as follows: ( (194 Excellents x 5) + (47 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (2 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 262 Ratings = 4.641

The 4.703 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Finney House is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12.8 positive Reviews (64 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 12.8 Target = 0.703

9.3 Finney House has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.344) from 22 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Finney House?

Reviewer Connection to Finney House

• Son-in-law of Resident/Service User

Can’t fault the place. Lovely rooms, lovely staff, and feel really happy my grandma has found a place she is happy in. Very very impressed.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

Very clean, modern environment. Staff/carers are very friendly and attentive and always willing to provide Mother with good care.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Likely

Finney House is a lovely place to visit. It’s clean, welcoming and beautifully decorated. My mother-in-law has been staying there since August 2017 and she is really happy! It looks like a very smart hotel. She always tells us that she couldn’t be in a nicer place and how clean and beautiful it is. Everyone is friendly and helpful and they take good care of my mother-in-law, who has dementia. She eats well and takes all her medication correctly - things she struggled to remember to do before. Staff are also good at talking to her and making her feel important. I am also impressed by the activities on offer throughout the week to keep residents mentally and physically active and entertained. Thank you, Finney House!

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

Very comfortable room, friendly staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Likely

My grandad was recently in your care and was not very well. I just want to say thank you to the staff for looking after him and doing everything they could to make him comfortable. Also, thank you for supporting the family on the day of his passing.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

My father's discharge from the hospital was an overly lengthy and stressful process but within 2 days of asking the team at Finney House to help out, he was then successfully transferred into the care of Meadow House on the first floor of Finney House.
This facility is first class but without motivated and experienced people caring for our loved ones, it means little.
All the staff we have met at Finney House passing through the front reception, dining room, past the nurses' station and into my father's spacious private room have been very polite and attentive to patient and family alike.
First impressions mean a lot and nothing is too much trouble. Any settling in queries or an odd minor concern over medication have been quickly and efficiently dealt with.
It is not an easy transition from a hospital into a nursing home but the Finney House team have endeavoured to help at every step of this difficult journey.
My dad and his family are happy we made the choice of Finney House.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

My father-in law was a resident at Finney House earlier this year, I can not express the high quality care he received during his stay. The staff, carers and nurses were nothing but professional and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. The home was fantastically furnished to a very high standard, extremely clean, very warm and welcoming, but the care is what attracted us to this place. I would highly recommend to everyone and anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

My sister was admitted to the Finney Care Home in July after suffering from cancer for several months. A few days later she died. I live 200 miles away and I had contacted the home every other day and left my work and evening telephone numbers so that they could contact me. However, on the night she died they say they only had my work number and it was only when I telephoned that evening that they told me she had passed away. As a result, I said that I would travel with my husband the next day and collect her personal items. We even had a call from the home at around 10.30pm to confirm that her body had been taken away to the funeral parlour and we again confirmed that we would be there the next afternoon. Upon arrival, we were told that her friend had collected her things. This caused no end of trouble as we had no keys to her house and had to call out a locksmith. There seemed to be a total lack of communication between the staff who work there.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Unlikely

Sarah Tanham, Director Of Operations at Finney House responded to this review on 12 Sep 2017:

Thank you for your feedback, we value any feedback we receive and take any complaint or concern seriously. We are not aware that you had visited the home during your sister's short stay with us so we are unable to respond to your comments in the ratings with regards your sister's experience of her care. With regards to your experience when you visited following the sad loss of your sister, we are dealing with this through our formal complaints policy.

We cannot fault the care and compassion shown to our Aunt at Finney House. She had recently spent the last three weeks of her life there receiving palliative care before passing away peacefully at the age of 104. All the staff there were friendly and very caring not only to our Aunt but also to the family. The home itself is beautiful, spacious and spotlessly clean. We would be happy to recommend it to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

I stayed at Finney House while my daughter went on holiday.
My problem is my limited mobility.
I do not need nursing care or assistance.
My stay at Finney House fulfilled my requirements.
Luxurious accommodation.
Some members of staff did not give 100 per cent commitment.
Standard of food could be improved.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Likely

Sarah Tanham, Operations Director at Finney House responded to this review on 29 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at Finney House. If you would like to contact us regarding the food standards and staff commitment so we can learn and improve our service we would welcome your feedback. We strive to deliver the best care in all the services we provide at Finney House and welcome any feedback to help us deliver consistent high standards.

I would like to comment on the care and compassion offered to my mother in law in her final days at Finney House. She had been in and out of the hospital from her previous residential home during the previous six months and was admitted to Finney House on Christmas Eve after eventually securing her discharge with the help of the Manager. I will never forget walking in on Christmas Day and seeing her smiling, beautifully washed and dressed, she looked content and happy. As a family we were welcomed at any time none more so than Boxing Day when all including her family including her Great Grandchildren turned up to see her, she was delighted. Sadly my mother in law only experienced the great comfort and care offered for two weeks as her health declined quickly, but we will never forget the care she received in her final days in the wonderful surroundings of Finney House.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

This home provided care for my mother in her hour of need. The staff are exceptionally caring people who did their level best to make her final months as pleasant and comfortable as possible. The structure/decor is new and excellent but it's the staff who ultimately MAKE the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

My husband went into Finney House for rehabilitation after a long stay in the hospital, unfortunately, it became apparent that his cancer had returned. From the moment he arrived at Finney House he felt at home, the Manager was excellent and made him feel important so much so I sighed and let go. Nothing was too much trouble, the staff were amazing and caring in every way.
My husband had massive trauma's and the nurses were excellent and fought to keep him there but 3 times he had to go to the hospital but kept asking to go "home" to Finney House.
On his final arrival back after a hospital stay, it felt like a giant weight was taken off my shoulders. Although he has another 2 trauma's we were able to keep him there until he passed away.
On his final days, the staff were amazing and supportive - there are no words that I can express that could thank them for making his final days comfortable for us both and our families.

Fantastic place for loved ones to end their life.

Heartfelt thanks.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

Finney House is a beautiful and luxurious care home. My mum was admitted to Finney House from hospital on the 23.12.16 for respite care. It was with trepidation that as a family we had to put mum into a care home. Right from the start of her care, the staff are caring and supportive and remain so to this day. The care given is second to none. Nothing is too much trouble, even for the client, relatives or visitors. The food is of excellent quality and if your relative eats in the dining/ restaurant......you can eat with them. Highly recommended as a care giver.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

My mother required nursing care. Many homes were visited in the area trying to find a suitable place for her --- It must be said that standards do vary!

I didn't consider the new, purpose built Finney House as an early choice; I thought the cost would have been too high. In fact fees were below others in the area but everything was streets ahead of alternative homes.

Mum was admitted after a stay in hospital for treatment for an inoperable condition. From day one she was treated with care, staff were friendly and always sympathetic when dealing with her condition. Nothing was too much trouble! Visitors were always made to feel welcome.
As mothers condition deteriorated the care was always excellent, treatment was dignified right up to the end.
Thank you to everyone for making mums last few weeks so peaceful.

I would have no hesitation recommending the staff, care or Finney House to anyone in this situation.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

Mother was admitted to the home at the end of November suffering from a non-operable brain tumour. Whilst her stay at Finney House was relatively short (7 weeks) the surroundings and level of care we experienced were first rate. We must have looked at around 10 homes before making our choice, and though it has to be said many didn't have vacancies, there were many we wouldn't have chosen even if they had a bed.

Mum never once complained or asked to return home after her treatment. I think this is a testament to the staff, surroundings and level of support she received.

If I have any complaints it would relate to the food. Whilst there is a choice, other homes with resident chefs were able to offer tailored menus to tempt the fussiest of eaters. Hence my rating of good and not excellent.

Would I recommend if faced with having to find a nursing place for a relative? - yes.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

My mum was resident at Finney House the last two weeks of her life and we cannot thank the staff enough for their care of her. They all went the extra mile to treat mum with dignity and care and it never seemed just a job to them, they looked like they really cared. For the last few days, mum was relatively unconscious but that did not stop the continuing care and dignified treatment. We ended up stopping at the home for around 24 hours before mum died and the staff all made sure that we were okay as well and although they left us in private with mum, we knew that if we needed anything we only had to ask. The home itself is so luxurious and well built with an obvious care for the resident's needs. I cannot praise everyone enough. Thank you so much for the care that mum received in her final days.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

When my wife first told me about Finney House I thought the price was too much and didn't think Finney house was a good idea. We looked around and in reality, the price was that much different than other care homes in the area.

I decided to visit Finney House to see for myself what they had to offer, I was totally taken aback at the place spending much of the time with my mouth open in amazement. The decor, the fitments, the rooms and just about everything was perfect, such a great location for a special gentleman's palliative care.

We put his name down straight away and he moved in. Then came the care, the staff were outstanding (I even have moist eyes typing this) they were very kind and thoughtful, not only to my father in law but also to his many visitors. I cannot praise them enough and I mean all of them from management down.

In my father in law's final days, my wife was at his bedside for over a week, she was looked after just as well.

I cannot recommend Finney House enough

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

Finney House is the first truly person-centred care home I have encountered. The manager has a sensitive approach to all aspects of the resident's care; physical and emotional well- being. The staff treat my mother as an individual, not just a "task" as I have seen in other care homes. Every aspect of Finney House is of the highest standards, focusing entirely on providing excellent personalised care for each resident, which eases so much the emotionally traumatic time of their lives. The highest level of care in a five-star hotel setting.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

After a long search to find a suitable care home for my 90-year-old father in law, we reached the point when the new Finney House was ready to inspect. Finney House is exceptional in terms of the standard of accommodation and very high professional standards of the management and staff who are all clearly passionate about their role. These first impressions have been completely validated during the time my father in law has been there. There has been a noticeable improvement in his general health, following a period in hospital. I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this care home to anyone looking for exceptionally high standards of care and accommodation.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

I was a resident in Finney House. The people there are really nice and kind. They looked after me really well. It is a lovely home.

How likely would you be to recommend Finney House? Extremely Likely

My father moved into Finney House to receive palliative care. Prior to his move, I was in regular contact with the manager, deputy and administrator, all of whom were exceptionally helpful. I had a thoroughly accompanied walk around the building and was able to see immediately that the facilities were outstanding with great attention to detail. From the moment dad moved in I knew that I had made the right choice. The staff were welcoming to both dad and me. Nothing was too much trouble. Dad was made comfortable and was consulted in everything that affected him. The medical staff were up to date with what dad needed and everything was in place to ensure his care was personal and appropriate. As dad was receiving end of life care, I was able to spend as much time with him as I wanted and as I was there almost full time, I saw first hand that the ethos of the home was excellent. Dad received care that was dignified, professional and compassionate. I have nothing but praise for Finney House.

Submit a Review for Finney House

posted 18 hours ago

Please contact Jane Swift on 01772 286113 for up to date information on our vacancies

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Finney House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Finney House