Amberley House Care Home

358 Ubberley Road, Bentilee, Stoke-on-Trent ST2 0QS

Amberley House Care Home, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire

Amberley House Care Home is located in Stoke on Trent’s Bentilee area and is ideally situated for local services and public transport. This 76 bedded home is situated in its own pleasant grounds and provides general and dementia nursing care. Accommodation is provided in single en-suite rooms that are arranged over two floors. Communal areas include two dining rooms, two lounges on each floor and a hairdressing salon. The ground floor accommodates frail elderly residents requiring general nursing care and the first floor residents requiring dementia nursing care. Please contact the home for further information.

Group: Priory Adult Care

Person in charge: Gillian Harper (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Stoke on Trent City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 74 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Amberley House Care Home: click here

6.8 Amberley House Care Home has a Review Score of 6.8 (6.789)

The Review Score of 6.8 (maximum of 10) for Amberley House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 3.1 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Amberley House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.7 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 3.086 for Amberley House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (19 Excellents x 5) + (12 Goods x 4) + (22 Satisfactorys x 3) + (13 Poors x 2) + (15 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 81 Ratings = 3.086

The 3.703 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Amberley House Care Home is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 14.8 positive Reviews (74 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 14.8 Target = 0.203

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Amberley House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Amberley House Care Home

• Son-in-law of Resident/Service User

I visited a very dear friend this morning, who is a resident at Amberley House, I was impressed with the cleanliness, and homely atmosphere. The staff were friendly and helpful, pleasant and kind to everyone they met. They helped us to take our friend for a walk in the garden, which is beautifully kept in line with the appearance of the interior.
I was impressed with the security measures in place. I feel human nature seems very quick to criticise, but in my view I feel it is only right to recognise good practice also. Keep up the good work.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberley House Care Home? Likely

Activities: Don't Know

My mother-in-law has only been at this care home for 7 weeks. She has settled in well. I find the care home is a very pleasant home to visit, it's very clean, smells nice, the manager and staff (that's all staff) are very friendly to myself and my wife who come to visit. Everybody makes you very welcome and are always on hand if we need to ask anything, always very helpful. My mother-in-law is very well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberley House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Decoration and cleanliness is second to none. Clean and friendly environment. Carers brilliant but unfortunately not enough of them. Consequently, personal care (ie washing/dressing) was not completed some days until 5pm. Daily routine was better when the dining room was separate to the main lounge. Overall very content with the time my father spent there. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberley House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Every time I visit my Nan she is left waiting for the toilet for long periods of time. My Nan is often crying and does not seem to have a drink available. On a number of occasions I have visited, her red button has been over the far side of the bed or unplugged, she can't possibly reach. It seems to me that the home is dreadfully understaffed - the staff I have spoken to mostly seem kind but are always too busy to have any time to chat.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberley House Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Facilities: Poor

Care / Support: Poor

Treated with Dignity: Poor

Food & Drink: Very Poor

Staff: Poor

Management: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Julie Anderson, Home Manager at Amberley House Care Home responded to this review on 31 Aug 2017:

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience in relation to Amberley House. Priory Adult Care is committed to providing the highest quality of care and making a real and lasting difference to everyone we support.

If you would like to raise your concerns directly with us, please contact our team on 01905 82 88 54 or email adultcare@priorygroup.com. Please be assured that we take any concerns seriously and always seek to address any issues raised to us.

There are not enough staff to patient ratio ever. I often wonder the corridor to look for the staff after 10 minutes and waiting for someone to answer the buzzer. Staff on occasion have been rude - with a witness in rooms. There was a time my nan needed the toilet buzzer buzzed for 15 minutes and on arrival was told she had just been and could not possibly need to go again. I have only met 2 carers that are kind and genuine.

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Care / Support: Very Poor

Treated with Dignity: Very Poor

Staff: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Julie Anderson, Home Manager at Amberley House Care Home responded to this review on 25 Aug 2017:

The home is a joke, we are in the process of moving my father due to the management. The carers are caring but the management is shocking, telling relatives that they cannot be involved in their care and that they will be making the decisions without speaking or working with families. Also, the bullying and spying that goes on to stop you taking loved ones out of the home for a bit of 'normality' is unbelievable. I wouldn't recommend anyone putting their loved ones in here unless you want them sat in a room, too small to swing a cat round, and have extra residents in, so they aren't getting the care they deserve.

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Facilities: Very Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Staff: Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

My mum was in this care, with severe dementia, every time I went to see her she was always in her room, 24 hrs a day, when my mother was coming to the last stages of her life, I begged the house manager to call me, I asked this on numerous times, she promised that she would phone me straight away, she never phoned me up to tell me, my mum was dying, lucky I got to see her before she passed, I would not recommend any one, thinking of putting their elderly relatives in this home. There was one carer who treated my mum well.

Care / Support: Poor

Cleanliness: Very Poor

Treated with Dignity: Very Poor

Food & Drink: Very Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Submit a Review for Amberley House Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Amberley House Care Home