Minster Grange, York, North Yorkshire

Minster Grange is a versatile York care home that welcomes many specialist needs. Areas in which the team are skilled and experienced include dementia care, physical frailties, respite and palliative care.

Residents can expect a personalised approach to their care, with employees getting to know their needs in order to have an impact that is positive and satisfying over the long term.

Home-cooked food support each resident's choice of diet, and the home has specialist equipment such as beds and hoists to help with mobility.

Group: Lifestyle Care plc

Person in charge: Alison Redhead (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: York City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 83 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Minster Grange: click here

9.2 Minster Grange has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.155)

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Minster Grange is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 12 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Minster Grange in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.613 for Minster Grange is calculated as follows: ( (94 Excellents x 5) + (41 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 142 Ratings = 4.613

The 4.542 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Minster Grange is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16.6 positive Reviews (83 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 16.6 Target = 0.542

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Minster Grange?

Reviewer Connection to Minster Grange

• Father of Resident/Service User

From the very first day that my husband was taken into care at Minster Grange, he was treated with respect, but also with love and kindness.
He was treated like they would have liked their own parent to be treated by all the nurses and carers.
And at the same time considering his family's needs.
I can't see that we could have asked for any more than they gave him and us.
Thanks to all of them.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

As the father of a newly moved in and very recently disabled resident being my son, I felt that it was now time to put my fingers to the keyboard and leave a few comments about the care and support that we as a family have received from Minster Grange. We feel as a family that the care and emotional support provided by all staff and management has been second to none. My son has been treated with the utmost respect and dignity with all aspects of care especially the personal career as 44-year-old young man this is all a new experience for him and us, his illness and disability was all very sudden but thanks to Minster Grange, the transition has been made all the easier for him to deal with, from anything about wheelchair pressure sore information to pain management from the nursing staff which again is all new and not something anyone generally knows nothing about. At present we are over the moon and thank our lucky stars that they found him and he found them and have no worries at all.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

My father in law is receiving excellent care, exactly suited to his needs. His life is infinitely more varied than at home. For instance, in the last two weeks, he has played cards, danced and enjoyed guitar music, observed the antics of meerkats, gardened and enjoyed chats and a glass of wine with carers. It makes it easy to talk to him and he is more animated than previously. Because he is eating and sleeping regularly, his general health is better. Perhaps the single best thing the carers have done is to give him a key to his room, so he feels he has private space which is important to him.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

On the whole, my siblings and I are very happy with the home, staff, food and cleanliness. The staff are always very obliging and friendly, like an extension to our family.
Only one blot in the review and that is the large funding rise due in April. Where we understand why we have to use a lot more of our mother's money, we wish to just let you know that it seems a huge rise. Hopefully, the carers (who are excellent) will get a rise sometime. They deserve it.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

Alison Redhead, Home Manager at Minster Grange responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

I'm delighted to be able to confirm that carers will be getting an increase from April. I agree they do very much deserve it and it's a privilege to work with such dedicated people.

This care home delivers what is of first importance CARE. Management and staff are always available for discussion. My wife has been a resident for two years and I can go home and sleep at night knowing she is in good hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

My mother is well cared for, the staff are friendly and welcoming. The home is clean and bright and the rooms are spacious.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Don't know

My mum has Huntingtons disease and this care home has a specialist unit for HD. Although mum is on the dementia unit, we feel so confident that mum has access to the specialist unit and trained staff. The staff and management are excellent and always make themselves available to help with all our questions and anything we need. The home is very clean and well presented. We can't praise the staff enough on how they help us all.
Highly recommended care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

My father has been in Minster Grange for 2 years and he has been well looked after and cared for throughout this time. The home is kept in good condition and the staff are very warm and friendly to my dad and his visitors. The environment is safe and I have no regrets in choosing Minster Grange for 24-hour care.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

I am very satisfied with the excellent service.
My wife seems comfortable and well cared for.
The staff are so friendly and the manageress and under manager are very accessible.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

We visited a number of homes before choosing Minster Grange. We like the friendly and helpful management team, the large, light rooms and the convenient location. As my aunt settled in we got to know the care team who were wonderful with her. Taking time to chat and get to know her as a person. Visiting was easy and we were always made welcome. It was difficult for my aunt to socialise with other residents as she had limited mobility and a number of those in nearby rooms were not great at holding a conversation but staff did what they could to support this. There were a couple of local outings which my aunt enjoyed in the early months. Sadly my aunt passed away after a few months- but the end of life care was fantastic and I am truly grateful to her team, at Minster Grange for everything they have done for our family.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

My mum in law spent approx. 5 weeks at Minster Grange as she was coming to the end of her life and we could no longer manage her care needs at home. We were made welcome from the first day and the staff were warm and caring. My mum-in-law could not fault the home and said all the "carers were lovely". Family visited daily and as mums needs intensified the nursing staff dealt efficiently with the changes in her condition. We were kept fully informed and involved and I am happy that we made the right decision in choosing Minster Grange.

How likely would you be to recommend Minster Grange? Extremely Likely

My mother was a guest at Minster Grange for the last 6 months of her life. I say guest, in respect of the personal dedicated kind care both my mother, and now grieving father received. Equally on professional nursing and medical fronts, the care my mother received was second to none. Never was either my father or mother tolerated or ignored, but were always treated with the utmost dedicated respect irrespective of their age and mother's terminal illness, like any guest would receive in a 5 star hotel. I'm presently a Minister of Religion, but prior to this was employed myself in senior management positions both within the NHS and Private Sector. My wife is still presently practising as a Nurse within the NHS, so my comments and appreciation, are not only subjective, but professional in their observation and integrity. My appreciation is not only limited to the medical care, but the whole ethos and professionalism from walking through the door in all departments of Minister Grange. So to finish, all I can say on behalf of my father, extended family, and the many friends who visited mum, Well Done, and Thank You Minister Grange!!!

Submit a Review for Minster Grange

August 2013

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Minster Grange