Apply for this Job
Add to My Job Folder
Job Title: Cleaner/Kitchen Assistant
Job Role: Domestic / Domestic Assistant
10 Jan 2018
Cambridge Nursing Home
View all jobs posted by Cambridge Nursing Home Ltd
Hours: Full Time or Part Time
Contact Name: Nicola Cawthorn
Your role as a member of the Ancillary Staff team encompasses tasks
of, Kitchen Assistant, Cleaner and Domestic Help. Please note that we
consider you as part of the care team even though you may not be
directly providing care to Service Users. £7.55 ph.
General Job summary
- To ensure that the physical, psychological, emotional and
spiritual well-being of all Service Users is maintained at the
highest possible level in the pleasant, safe and harmonious
environment of the Home.
- To maintain Confidentiality at ALL times
- To be aware of their responsibilities in maintaining the Health
& Safety of all and staff
- To be caring towards all Service Users
- When necessary to help with the feeding needs of SUs who are
incapable of feeding themselves, serving meals in a presentable manner.
- To take care of the clothes and personal belongings
- To ensure that SUs are suitably dressed at all times
- To tidy rooms and wardrobes ensuring the resident's rooms are
clean and tidy at all times
- To ensure clothing and bed sheets are laundered daily/weekly
- To take reasonable care to prevent damage to clothing, equipment etc.
- To participate in activities for the general leisure and social
care of the Service Users when necessary.
- To remove and dispose of clinical and other domestic wastes and
place in the appropriate containers for disposal.
- To participate in the assessment and reviews of to assess the
needs of each SU when requested.
- To monitor the needs of each SU and report any change of needs to
the Senior Care Assistant, Registered Nurse or Senior Registered
Nurse as appropriate.
- To encourage SUs to learn new skills, take up new interests and
activities and maintain those they already have when necessary.
- To seek to understand the emotional and personality problems among
residents and to work through such problems with the assistance of
other professionals in group sessions where necessary.
- To assist in various leisure activities outings where necessary.
- To help residents when necessary in casual shopping (but never
proprietary drugs -see drugs policy) to assist residents in
selection of clothing.
- To assist the Cook in the preparation cooking and serving of food
and beverages (including snacks).
- To highlight to the Cook, any shortfall in the service and
suggestions as to how to overcome them.
- To undertake simple cooking duties.
- Transporting and serving of meals.
- To undertake general kitchen and dining room duties (e.g. washing
up, setting up and clearing away equipment and tables).
- To work with the Cook as part of a team to meet quality assurance standards.
- The reporting of any defects with the equipment to the Quality
- Restrooms must be cleaned and disinfect sinks, countertops,
toilets, mirrors, floors, etc.
- It is your responsibility to replenishes bathroom supplies when
needed and report to the Quality Control Manager when they are low.
- Metalwork should be polished, such as fixtures and fittings.
- Floors must be swept, mopped, vacuumed, using a broom, mop and
vacuum cleaner when necessary.
- Other work may be required such as scrubbing, waxing, polishing
floors and shampooing of carpets.
- All kitchenettes must be cleaned and disinfect sinks, countertops,
tables, chairs, refrigerators, etc.
- Furniture, equipment, partitions, etc. must be dusted when necessary.
- Wastebaskets must be emptied on a daily basis and moved to the
- Other Duties include cleaning rugs, carpets, and upholstered
furniture, using vacuum cleaner and sponge where necessary. Walls,
windows, door panels, partitions, sills and woodwork must be washed regularly.
- Ensure room in question is properly ventilated before commencing
- All Service Users are to be provided with bibs in order to
preserve their clothing.
- To wear appropriate protective clothing and aprons as instructed.
- Be familiar with and put into practice the cleaning policies and procedures
- Check all cleaning equipment etc. ready for use.
- Collect rubbish from rooms and lounges.
- Sweep and wash/vacuum corridors
- Clean lavatories and bathrooms with disinfectant in the water
- Replenish toilet rolls
- Wash hand basins with disinfectant and sanitizer
- Start cleaning rooms, (i.e.) windows, skirting boards, tops of
wardrobes, under the beds.
- Clean buckets, wash mops and cleaning clothes and dusters and
- Put rubbish outside in the paladins. Suitable gloves must be worn
to handle this.
- Carry out any other duties as instructed by the Registered Nurse
in charge and the management team.
- To be fully aware of emergency fire exits and equipment
- To be able to use emergency equipment if necessary and be able to practice
- To know of and put into practice when required the drill for
emergency evacuation in case of fire.
- To report all accidents and incidents, however minor to the Nurse
- To report defects in equipment to the management and comply at all
times to the policies of the Home in relation to Health & Safety
policy at work