This job is no longer available, please click here to search all available jobsAdd to My Job Folder
2018-03-15 Care Homes Job Title: Activities Coordinator -14h
Job Setting: Care Home / Nursing Home
Job Role: Activity Coordinator
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2018
Job Location: Greenwich , London
Salary: per hour £7.80
Hours: Part Time
Contact Name: Kasia Zarychta
Job Title: Activities Co-ordinator – Care and Support
Reports To: The Registered Home Manager
Responsible For: There are no subordinate staff reporting to the post holder
Job Context: Avante Care and Support is a major provider of quality residential and community care for older people and those with special needs in Kent and South-east London.
Job Location: The post will be based at one of Avante Care and Support’s residential care homes.
Job Summary: To offer flexible and meaningful activities, based on Avante’s Philosophy of Care, with spontaneity and variety, helping to meet residents’ social needs, which encompass maintaining and building relationships, fun, as the antidote to boredom, helplessness and loneliness, this may on occasion be outside of the usual working day. Working with all care partners, including staff, families, volunteers and the local community, to enable the residents to live as full a life as possible.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
1. Offer meaningful activities to residents as a means of continuous growth in the quality of life, providing a sense of purpose for residents, according to their needs and as agreed in their individual care plan.
2. Offer stimulation of body and mind, both planned and spontaneous, to encourage the residents to live the life they choose within the local community, using the social model of disability.
3. Work with staff, families and volunteers within the home and local community in order to enhance the care and support for residents.
4. Create opportunities for residents to give care and support as well as to receive care and support. Enable and encourage residents to contribute to the decision making that affects their daily life.
5. To work creatively with staff in the care and support of residents in promoting both physical and emotional well-being, including personal care.
6. Examples of activities that would be beneficial:
a. Music and Movement (gentle exercises) to encourage movement of feet and hands.
b. Quiz games, draughts, darts, etc.
c. Ball games, skittles, etc.
d. Sewing groups.
e. Painting groups.
f. Reminiscence therapy: old newspapers and discussing life experiences.
g. Gardening, planting of seeds, etc.
h. External activities in the surrounding community, swimming, shopping, etc.
i. Organise outings on a regular basis and entertainment in the home.
You will be expected to attend Eden Alternative training, which will be provided by the Organisation, to at least two days in-house training level. All activities should be based on the Eden Alternative, providing a person-centred approach and living environment.
7. Promote Avante care and Support’s Equal Opportunities Policy, ensuring an awareness of differing ethnic, social, cultural backgrounds, and sexual preferences when providing care and support for activities.
8. Record care and support information on residents’ progress and complete necessary reports as appropriate.
9. Attend training sessions/courses necessary in the performance of these duties.
All staff are required to:
1. Work to Avante Policies and procedures, Guidelines and Work Instructions, as set out in the Residential and Corporate Quality Manuals. All staff are to take responsibility to ensure they are conversant and with and receive training on, the updated amendments when issued.
2. Manage self and all administrative policies and procedures to meet deadlines within set time frames, as well as being flexible able to adapt to changes in priorities on a day to day basis and as the service develops.
3. Be confidential at all times. Provide support to service users, relatives and staff as the position demands, as access to confidential information may be seen.
4. Show courtesy and respect to service users and their relations at all times to ensure they enjoy the highest quality of life, respect and confidentiality.
5. Attend and participate in training sessions and staff meetings.
6. Maintain good working relations with colleagues at all times.
7. Assist in the induction of new staff.
8. Participate in supervision and appraisal using the Avante procedure and documentation.
9. Advise immediately any defects in plant or equipment used for the care and safety of service users and their relations as well as staff health and safety.
10. Keep Line Manager informed of any concerns or changes in staff which could affect the smooth operations of the Department.
** All relevant Work Instructions will be issued to the post holder.
This job description is provided to assist the post holder to know what his/her duties are. These duties may be amended or added to from time to time following consultation with the post holder, without change to the level of responsibility appropriate to the post and the salary, in order to provide the best service and assist with the smooth running of the home.
GCSE minimum Suggestions Grade D in English and Maths
NVQ 2 in Care (Dementia)
Successfully undertaken Eden Alternative Training or be willing to do
Experience in recreational activities
Be able to help create an elder centred community that takes into account the uniqueness of the individual
Good written and communication skills
Think creatively, be spontaneous and flexible
Basic computer literacy
Be aware of dementia and how it can affect the brain and the person
Sympathetic approach to caring for dependent people from a variety of cultural backgrounds and traditions
The ability to work as part of a team
Be able to communicate well with people at all levels
Be willing to undertake training and competency awareness
Continuing Professional Development
Department of Health
Avante Dementia Strategy
Care Management Matters
Other Activity Journals
Local and National Policy:
NHS meetings and Policy for People with dementia type conditions
Health Commissioning – GP/Social Services
Health and Social Care Act
Sharing of Best Practice:
Knowledge transfer learning from others and colleagues in health and social care
Based on the Fundamentals of Care Management
Please note: If you are shortlisted, you will be invited to attend an interview. We regret to inform you that due to the high volumes of applicants, we do not write to candidates, who are unsuccessful at the shortlisting stage. In the meantime, we would like to thank you for the interest you have shown in Avante Care & Support.
This job is no longer available, please click here to search all available jobs