Hamilton House Care Centre

6 Drayton Lane, Drayton, Portsmouth PO6 1HG

Group: Shaftesbury Care Group

Person in charge: Mary Walsh (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Portsmouth City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 60 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Hamilton House Care Centre: click here

9.3 Hamilton House Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.320)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Hamilton House Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hamilton House Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.737 for Hamilton House Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (127 Excellents x 5) + (36 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 167 Ratings = 4.737

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 4.583 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hamilton House Care Centre is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered beds ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 12 Target = 0.583

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hamilton House Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Hamilton House Care Centre

• Brother-in-law of Resident/Service User

My mother was only in Hamilton House for two weeks before she died but she was treated very well indeed and the Manager runs her team extremely professionally and well. My mum really liked her.

How likely would you be to recommend Hamilton House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The thought of putting my dad into a care home filled me with dread until my dad came to live at Hamilton House. The moment I stepped inside it felt like a "home from home". The wonderful carers who treat my dad with such respect and compassion always making time to ask him about his life and family. I love the communal areas where carers sit with the residents and have a well earned cup of tea with a lovely chat. The residents enjoy being part of their duties- watching them bustle about always busy but also finding time to simply chat or hold hands. This is what makes Hamilton House very special. I hear laughter and sometimes when a resident does something unexpected like kiss the hand of my baby I see a tear in their eyes. They really have a wonderful team on floor 1. If I end up needing care this is where I would like to be "home from home". My children love to visit their granddad and are always made very welcome. To know my dad/granddad is spending his precious time with these wonderful carers means everything to us so for that- I thank you.

My main concern about my husband's care was that he should be kept comfortable and he was. He was encouraged to take part in things when he was able to do so. He was always treated with respect and courtesy. I had every confidence in the staff capability and commitment and I felt that my husband was in the "best place!"

Mum has only been in this home since the 17th of February 2016, she was transferred from hospital after a large stroke on the 24th of January 2016. I had originally viewed this home on the 9th of January, and had made the decision there and then that this was the home I wanted as her 'forever home'.
Due to social services and NHS wrangling mum was not able to have a 'full experience' of life at Hamilton House. We are now at end of life care.
My first impression of this very special home and all it's staff have been confirmed in this very short space of time. I cannot sing their praises highly enough. Thank you to the management and staff.

Excellent care, always understanding of needs. The last week of my aunts life the support I received as her next of kin (niece) by all the staff was excellent, as one very young carer put it, when asking how I was that I was important to them all, just as much as my aunt.
Found this so re-assuring they were all absolutely wonderful.

My father was admitted to Hamilton House for 10 months until January 2016, following a diagnosis of terminal cancer. He arrived a weary and ill man who had spent the last few years of his long life caring for his wife, to the point where he physically could not manage this anymore.

At Hamilton House he found not only rest and genuinely loving, attentive care but also an opportunity to rediscover himself and talk about the things that had been important to him, all through his life. The staff all told him it was his home, and he came to believe this and to trust in their ability to look after him.

During his time at the home we feel as a family that the professional and dedicated care he consistently received, enabled him to achieve the best quality of life possible and we could not have asked for better or more professional care, including the support given to us, particularly in his final weeks.

Our thanks go to the Manager and all the staff at Hamilton House.

From the moment my mother in law entered Hamilton House she was cared for in a professional manner. I made a request for a very quick place and mother-in-law was in the home within 5 days. During her staff in a very satisfactory room she was well cared for. Due to infections she had to stay in her room a lot and although she was visited by family everyday in the records it showed a member of staff spent time with her most days to interact. The staff kept us as a family fully informed of my mother-in-laws progress and regression. My mother-in-law passed away recently while in the home and the staff treated is with great dignity. We were given the full facts of the passing as it was too quick for us to attend. My mother-in-law loved seeing the 2 cats which the home had living. They never entered the rooms but have enjoyed seeing them run down the corridors.

Cared for my late husband with extreme kindness, compassion and courtesy. I cannot fault the care given to him during his short stay in any way whatsoever. I was kept fully informed of all aspects of his care.

Just want to say what a lovey place Hamilton House is, how well it is run how kind and lovely and thoughtful all the staff are without exception. The place is always clean and well organised with a super ethos which seems to put the residents at the heart of all consideration. Very impressive.

The staff work hard and remain pleasant even in difficult circumstances. So far nothing has been too much bother and the home is kept very clean. The atmosphere is friendly and there is nothing negative to be said.

I can't fault the staff at Hamilton House. They made not only my mother feel at home, I also felt at home. The registered manager has a good team of staff. The staff cared for my mother like she was their own. The staff are professional, have respect, caring and are dedicated to their work role. I couldn't thank them enough. My mother was happy at Hamilton House and settled in in days. I thank all of the staff and medical professionals in mums care for looking after her in her final days. Thank you to a caring team.

My mother was cared for and loved by the staff at Hamilton house for 7 months until her fight against Alzheimer's sadly came to an end last month. Mum went into Hamilton house for end of life care and survived a further 7 months which was wholly down to the fantastic level of care she received at Hamilton. I couldn't recommend it more highly. As a nurse, I have high expectations and was well aware of mums care needs and even the small details were not overlooked. I am very grateful to all of the staff for making the last few months we had with mum comfortable and as stress free as possible.

My sister-in-law was admitted to your care in March 2015.
From the moment I entered the building I could feel the warmth and love of the whole place.
I knew from the beginning that she would be happy here and subsequently my brother. And she was.
I have nothing but praise and wonderment for the family of care people that the Hamilton is.
The care she has been given up to her passing away in October was very comforting for me.
I cannot fault the Hamilton on anything.
Good luck to you all.

This home was recommended by a friend. They had looked at a large number of homes in Portsmouth, none of which they felt was right for their mother. They told me that Hamilton House Care Centre met all their wants for their mother feeling that the care and home was second to none. The moment I went to the home I too felt it was the place for my wife. Her subsequent care far exceeded my expectations both for my wife and at times for me. Everyone who visited my wife were amazed at the compassion shown, the caring ethos of the staff, the attention to detail, the maintenance of dignity and the cleanliness of the home. The staff are all direct employees and all seem very happy with their jobs which exudes to the home. 6 of the staff were at my wife's funeral. Thank you for a wonderful home.

Submit a Review for Hamilton House Care Centre

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Hamilton House Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hamilton House Care Centre