Fir Villa

Camel Street, Marston Magna, Yeovil BA22 8DB

Owner: Marston Care Ltd

Person in charge: James Dale (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Somerset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 24 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £540 – £900 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Fir Villa to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Weekly charge is based on size of room and needs of the individual.

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

There is no restriction on visiting although the home would ask visitors if planning to come after 7pm they let staff know before hand

The home has a large easily accessed car park at the rear of the premises

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Fir Villa: click here

The Review Score of 7.8 (maximum of 10) for Fir Villa is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 3 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Fir Villa in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.2 out of 5 from 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.6 for Fir Villa is calculated as follows: ( (26 Excellents x 5) + (6 Goods x 4) + (2 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 35 Ratings = 4.6

The 3.208 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Fir Villa is based on 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 = 3

2. Target of 4.8 positive Reviews (24 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 1 Reviews ÷ 4.8 Target = 0.208

7.8 Fir Villa has a Review Score of 7.8 (7.808) from 3 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Fir Villa?

Reviewer Connection to Fir Villa

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

Fir Villa is my elderly relative's home. She has dementia but she is very able to voice what she likes and dislikes and she likes her home. She refers to Fir Villa as 'my home' and that was something I never thought I would hear. She tells me she is very happy. She likes the staff because they are kind, friendly and helpful. They are always welcoming when I visit and they smile. She likes the food, 'plenty of good vegetables'. She is always joining in with the activities. I can see she is well cared for but also see she is relaxed and happy. I couldn't wish for a more professional, warm and friendly environment for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Fir Villa? Extremely Likely

I visited this lovely home recently to catch up with a distant relative. I was greeted and welcomed warmly by a member of staff who showed me to where my relative was and immediately offered us refreshments. The home was beautifully decorated and clean, there were fresh flowers everywhere. All the residents I saw were happy and smiling and joining in with the afternoon activities which were being led by an enthusiastic and clearly brilliant, talented and imaginative coordinator. My cousin was so engaged in the activity, she hardly noticed I was there which is how it should be. Staff did offer us the option to go somewhere more private but I felt so welcomed into the activity group I was happy to stay and join in. All the staff I encountered seemed happy and professional but spent time with residents just chatting.
When I left, I felt reassured that my cousin was content, well cared for and most importantly happy. I have visited several homes in the past but have never been so impressed.

How likely would you be to recommend Fir Villa? Extremely Likely

Whilst my mother is more than satisfied with the care that she receives at the facility, the food is disgusting requiring food packages to be sent.
My mother appreciates the empathy of her care givers and also the fact that they brought animals on the grounds, such as sheep and donkeys and also they allow my sister to bring in her Labradoodle !!

How likely would you be to recommend Fir Villa? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Denise Read, Owner at Fir Villa responded to this review on 24 Aug 2016:

We are very disappointed with the comments made in this review and feel they are unjust . The person writing this review has never visited the home, or sampled the food, or raised any issues with us. This particular resident has very definite likes and preferences and doesn't always want the food on offer even though there are 5 meal choices for every meal. As a result every Tuesday this resident gives us her own shopping list which I then personally go and purchase for her so that she is able to eat exactly what she chooses. These are her own preferences such as smoked salmon and her own preferred brands/labels. We make every effort to accommodate her special wishes even down to a particular brand of chocolate digestive for her to have with her cup of coffee. We also facilitate trips for her to go out and make her own specific purchases in the company vehicle with a member of staff to assist. With regard to the " food packages" that are sent these often contain items such as chocolates rather than any essentials of a good healthy diet. Therefore, with respect, I again reiterate that I believe these comments are most unfair and had the home been contacted by this particular reviewer they may have received a fuller picture of what actually happens.
It is also worth mentioning that we carry out monthly forum meetings with residents as well as six-monthly quality assurance and the feedback from all of these is always positive with regard to the food provided and written evidence of this can be seen by anyone visiting the home at any time. Visitors often come to the home to have lunch with their relatives/friends and we are often complimented about the" lovely food". I have also spoken to the daughter of this resident today who is the main person involved in this residents care and she has confirmed that she is more than happy with everything in the home and all we do and provide.

Submit a Review for Fir Villa