Dove House, Ashbourne, Staffordshire

Dove House is a converted Victorian residence, situated in picturesque countryside, where adults with care needs can achieve a relaxing and satisfying lifestyle assisted by a skilled team and personalised provision.

The focus is on a friendly and home-from-home atmosphere, whether for residential or nursing requirements, or specialist needs like dementia, mental health and physical disability.

Within a property of charm and character, clients have their personal preferences respected and access to a secure garden and conservatory.

Group: Midland Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Monica Taylor (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Staffordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 42 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Admission Information: Residents aged 65 years and over. Ages 50+.

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £395 , Personal Care Shared (per person) from £395 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Dove House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Dove House: click here

9.8 Dove House has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.825)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Dove House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 15 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Dove House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.825 for Dove House is calculated as follows: ( (149 Excellents x 5) + (26 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 177 Ratings = 4.825

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Dove House is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.4 positive Reviews (42 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 8.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Dove House?

Reviewer Connection to Dove House

• Great-grandson of Resident/Service User

My Mother had been in care with Dove House for just under two years. I can honestly say that from the moment she lived with the team at Dove House she has been cared for and loved by the amazing staff who you can clearly see are dedicated to the residents.

The home is spotless as are the residents. My mother loved her food and as the kitchen has a viewing window you know that the quality and cleanliness are second to none.

Dove House made the last two years of my mother's life comfortable, happy and most of all she felt safe and secure.

Thank you to the manager and the wonderful team for all you have done for my mother. You will alway hold a special place in my heart and my eternal gratitude.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

This care home is amazing. All the staff are very caring and show a great deal of love and respect for the lady (my dear friend of 20 years) that the staff care for. I call very often to the home and there is always a warm welcome from the staff. Food wise, the kitchen has a big open window so you can see what is being served for your loved ones. There is always at lunchtime, fresh veg, meat and the food always smells great. On a personal level, I think all the staff do a great job in looking after the residents.

Thank you all at Dove House for the love and support you show my dear friend. May I also say that my friend is very pleased and happy to be with you at Dove House. Please keep up all the good work you do. Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

My mother of almost 91 years old has been a resident of Dove House for over 2 years. She has dementia and she recently had her hip pinned at the local hospital but they never gave her any exercise. However, I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at Dove House and the care they have given my mother. It’s far better than the hospital.

Dove House have got her appetite back with some perseverance of a member of staff feeding her, to the point where she is now feeding herself again. They have got her weight bearing and walking a little with a zimmer - I can’t believe the difference in her.

We read so much about how awful some of these homes are - and we’ve seen some of them - but thank goodness for Dove House and for the manager who runs it all. The food is lovely, the place is clean and the staff are great. It’s not an easy job but thank you all. I would highly recommend Dove House to anyone.

Activities: Don't Know

Owing to a change in circumstances my mother moved to Dove House in August 2017. She was depressed, very reluctant to leave her room and refused to visit the lounge or dining room. The management and staff at Dove House have shown her great kindness and patience. The transformation has been remarkable! She now looks forward to spending at least a couple of hours in the lounge each day and even joined the residents Christmas party at the local pub.
Mum is full of praise for all the staff and so am I. Nothing seems too much trouble.
Her room is nicely decorated and kept spotlessly clean.
This is mums 3rd nursing home and by far the best. One huge difference I've noticed from the others is that everyone seems to have time for a chat or to listen and that little bit of time makes a HUGE difference.

Activities: Don't Know

My mother has been in Dove House Care Home for 7 years. Always spotlessly clean warm and welcoming, good food a home from home just the place you want for someone you love to live in.
A highlight for us is the Christmas outing - residents, relatives & staff off we all go to the restaurant at the end of the lane for Christmas Lunch is within walking distance for many, though I must admit mum likes a ride in the car. What a wonderful opportunity for us all to socialize together a special day for us, well organised by the manager & staff which create priceless memories.
I would highly recommend Dove House. I live 5 hrs away and keep in touch with the manager as I can't visit every week nothing is ever too much trouble for her which fills you with confidence. Caring professional staff & management who always make you feel welcome what more can you ask for. You should all be very proud of your achievements "THANK YOU"

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

We moved my mother to Dove House in 2016 from another care home as she tends to walk around a lot due to her Dementia and this was not possible at her previous home.
We immediately found that Dove House was perfect for us as there are lots of rooms for my mother to wander to all interlinked around a central courtyard.
There are plenty of staff who are always extremely pleasant and professional in their dealings with me and with my mother and she is encouraged to take part in the many activities that are carried out on a daily basis.
On two occasions a doctor has been called to see my mother and each time I have been notified immediately.
We have our own room with a private bathroom on the first floor.
I would recommend Dove House to anyone looking for a care home in the Burton, Uttoxeter areas.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

Dove House care home is quite simply a wonderful environment for everyone involved - the residents, the staff and the visitors. My Nanna has been there for a few years and the staff care for her as if she is one of their own - they're polite, helpful and treat her with nothing but the utmost respect. Staff members have built an excellent rapport with my Nan and the fact that they are able to share jokes with her and make her laugh demonstrates not only their commitment to the job but also the dedication they have to ensure residents don't feel sad, forgotten or alone. The manager is a lovely woman who never fails to go above and beyond to provide what's best for her residents and I have no doubt in my mind that she is 110% committed to Dove House. Overall, the care my Great Nanna receives puts my mind at ease because I know that every employee at Dove House does everything they can to look after her, day in and day out.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

For the past 2 years, we have been very fortunate to have mum cared for by the staff at Dove House, Sudbury. After a recent fall, my mother was admitted to the hospital, having an operation to pin mums hip.

Being almost 91 years of age mum has now lost confidence is very anxious. You hear bad rumours about care homes but you should never have to fear going into our hospitals! Even the manager of Dove House has stayed at the hospital with us until 10 pm at night. How fortunate we are that Dove House has such caring staff – I can’t praise them enough, nothing is too much trouble. A new bed has already been ordered for mums return on Wednesday. I give three cheers to the manager and staff at Dove House – you are all truly amazing – so thank you again for your superb care.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

My Uncle was at Dove House from February this year until the 20/9/17 and received the most wonderful care from the staff. Nothing was ever too much trouble for them and my Uncle was extremely happy there until he passed away. Therefore, I would have no hesitation in recommending this home to anyone seeking care for a loved one.

The staff and management have the most wonderful attention to detail with the care they provide which is everything you only want for a loved one.

Dr S Nagra, Director at Dove House responded to this review on 18 Oct 2017:

We thank you for your kind words about the caring staff at Dove House. All our residents ar treated as part of our extended family.

This is a very caring home. The manager and the staff put residents first every time which is so important. Any concerns I have are dealt with immediately to make sure I am completely at ease and I'm sure I would not have the care for my husband anywhere else to the high standard he currently receives. I could not fault the manager or the staff and feel my husband, who has dementia, is in the best possible place. It's a beautiful place in equally beautiful surroundings. There are lots of trees and wildlife for him to see and hear - it's wonderful. The food is great, I've been there at mealtimes and there is always a choice of good wholesome food. Of course, if it were an ideal world, I would be at home with my husband but unfortunately, he needs more care than I can provide for him at home. Dove House really is a special place.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

I have got my nana and my uncle in this care home and I cannot rate the care given to them enough. I would highly rate the home and the care given to my relatives. Nothing is too much trouble, the carers are all brilliant. My nana is quite a picky eater and the chefs in the home are really good. The manager will go above and beyond to make sure her residents are all looked after and kept well.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

The staff are very caring and explained everything about mums care, kept me informed. Thanks to all the staff for looking after mum. They talk to all the residents having a laugh and sing a long, plenty of drinks coming round for residents and visitors.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

My father was at Dove House from April 2014 until his death in October 2015. Dad was treated with kindness, care and respect by all the staff at Dove House, and his wishes were respected. When Dad became bedridden from July 2015 until his death, his care could not have been better. The staff always kept us informed of how Dad was, how he was eating and drinking, and always telephoned to let us know if they had to call out the Doctor or District Nurse. We were always made welcome, and they were very caring and supportive to the whole family when Dad was so ill.

We are glad that Dad was at Dove House when in last few months - on his last visit to a local hospital he was in for only 28 hours but because he had been kept on a hard bed he developed a bed sore - something that had not happened all the time he was at Dove House.

Our local GP, who also cared for residents at the home had told us that whenever he had asked for anything to be done for a resident it was done straight away.

It was a very sad time for Dad and all the family when Dad could no longer be cared for at home, but we knew he was in good hands at Dove House.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

The care my mother receives here is amazing, she is looked after by kind, caring, compassionate and professional staff. The home is spotlessly clean, warm, bright and cheerful. The food is very good and there's always a choice. Staff are wonderful, very approachable and always have time for me whenever I visit. The Manager has the best interests of the residents at heart and organises activities and fund raising events for the benefit of residents. There is always a sense of calm in Dove House and all residents present well - maintaining dignity is at the forefront of all care.

How likely would you be to recommend Dove House? Extremely Likely

Our mum was in Dove House for 7 years and the care the staff provided was very good, the home was warm and fresh, the meals were very tasty as I have had dinner and tea with mum. You can go any time to see your family member. It is a big decision for families to put the care of a loved one in a home but mum was very happy and safe there.

Submit a Review for Dove House