Oaklands Court

Vines Cross Road, Horam, Heathfield TN21 0HD

Oaklands Court is a pleasantly located East Sussex care home, from the luxury portfolio of Chanctonbury Care, that is well-respected throughout the surrounding community for the standards of care its residents and their loved ones have come to expect.

The accommodation has been purpose-built to offer a comfortable lifestyle to its forty-three residents, who also experience a wide choice of nutritious meals, relaxing social areas and an activities programme.

Carers have a depth of qualifications that allows the service to continually meet high standards of professionalism for a range of personal health complications.

Group: Chanctonbury Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Karen Pratt (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 43 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

All visitors welcome at any time. If visiting outside of normal working hours, please let inform beforehand.

On site parking for all visitors.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Oaklands Court: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Oaklands Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Oaklands Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.714 for Oaklands Court is calculated as follows: ( (149 Excellents x 5) + (31 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 189 Ratings = 4.714

The 4.814 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Oaklands Court is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.6 positive Reviews (43 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 8.6 Target = 0.814

9.5 Oaklands Court has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.528) from 16 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Oaklands Court?

Reviewer Connection to Oaklands Court

• Respite Resident/Service User

My mother-in-law was a resident at Oaklands Court for the last 3 weeks of her life. We had removed her from another very substandard care home. Arriving at Oaklands was a breath of fresh air because not only do they have a well-designed purpose-built building, but crucially, everybody on the staff was imbued with the same caring and compassionate attitude. Nothing was too much trouble concerning both patient care and dealing with us, the family. We were all deeply grateful for the wonderful care given to my mother-in-law. Oaklands Court is a very special place.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

My father in law went into this home and was very well looked after for the last 4 weeks of his life.
The home is very clean and well organised.
The room was a nice size and laid out well.
Staff were very kind and caring, even the chef came to see my father in law to see what sort of food he liked, and they tried very hard to find him something he could eat.
Lots of activities going on each day.
I would thoroughly recommend this home, also the whole home smelled nice throughout.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

In the short time, he has been at Oaklands, we are very happy with the facilities and the attention he is receiving.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

I had a comfortable room.
Allowed to bring my cat, greatly appreciated.
Everyone friendly and welcoming.
Some interesting activities.
I am managing in my ground floor flat but if I need care again, I shall ask if you have a vacancy for me. You already have my daughter-in-law's father happily living with you.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Kate Russell, Marketing Manager at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 07 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted you are managing at home and that you would consider us for future care if needed, we would love to welcome you back. Please do pop in to join us for a cup of tea, or a home cooked lunch, and a catch up if you are passing by.

After our visit, we really felt that our mum would be happy to stay at Oaklands Court. The staff we saw were very friendly and helpful and the home was clean and didn't have any of those "home" type smells, of which mum is particularly keen to avoid.
At her medical assessment, the nurse went over all aspects of her stay and advised us that most residents have lunch in the dining room but have breakfast in their room. This was very good as mum needed to stay active to prevent her seizing up. Mum also requested to be helped with a daily shower. She is very competent and able to do most things herself, just needing assistance with the shower and dressing. She is able to self-medicate and move about with just a stick and an arm to lean on.
The staff, she said, were really busy during her stay and she did not get her shower at all and stayed in her room for the entire 10 days. The visit from a miniature pony, however, was the highlight of her stay.
Not the "care" we expected or paid for!

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Unlikely

Kate Russell, Marketing Manager at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 22 May 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback - we take all comments seriously and welcome your feedback. This has been reviewed with the home manager as part of our quality monitoring procedure, and she is happy to be contacted if you would like to discuss this further.

My first visit to a care home and it was such a lovely surprise. The welcome we received at Reception (with a sign updated daily with the menu for the residents) was our first indication that this was somewhere that put people, and making them comfortable, their priority.

The care with which residents are treated is exemplary and the facilities are spotless. My grandmother has now been resident for just a couple of months and there are engaging activities every day. Residents are treated with respect and are given a home at the point in their lives when they can no longer cope alone.

Thank you to all the staff for taking such good care of my grandmother, who is not the easiest of people and thus an even greater test of the care provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Kate Russell, Marketing Manager at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 29 Jan 2018:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review and to share the experience of your first visit to a care home. Your kind words shall be shared with all team members who will be delighted to hear your feedback. Thank you.

It is never an easy decision for your loved one to go into a care home then you have to choose the "right" one. When I visited Oaklands Court Immediately knew that this was the one. The atmosphere was warm and friendly and the building light, airy and clean and the management and all the staff were so welcoming. My father is being given the excellent care and as a visitor, I am always welcomed as part of the "Oaklands Family". The other day one of the lovely carers was completing a questionnaire for my father and asked him are you happy with your care? To which he answered "yes" then she asked, "are you happy living here"? To which he answered "yes I am happy" I think that says it all don't you!

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Rebecca Hignett, Development Manager at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 05 Dec 2017:

Thank you so much Wendy for your lovely words about Oaklands! We are so thankful for our wonderful caring staff and are so glad that your father is so happy at the home.

It is a very lovely home, all the staff were quite good. They did everything you asked and I didn't have to wait long. They did it straight away.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Rebecca Hignett, Development Manager at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 29 Aug 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words. We hope you come to stay with us again soon!

I cannot praise Oaklands Court highly enough. The staff are, without exception, kind, warm and caring. There are lots of things for mum to do and she enjoys joining in all the activities which are numerous and well organised.

The home is immaculately clean and my mother is well looked after. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and they are genuinely thoughtful to both residents and family alike. They treat mum with great respect and it is a great comfort for me to know she is there.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Rebecca Hignett, Development Manager at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 03 Apr 2017:

Thank you so much for your lovely words about our home and our staff - we are very lucky to have a fantastic group of people working in our home.

The rooms are a good size and with a good size bathroom area. The home was sparkling clean and bright throughout.
The most impressive thing about Oakland's Court is the number of staff and how friendly and helpful all staff are. They genuinely seem to enjoy their work and like all the residents. They take enormous care over details.
The food is fresh and wholesome. The setting is lovely with private courtyard garden and all security is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Maureen Taylor, Operations Director at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 07 Dec 2016:

Thank you kindly for taking the time to send a review.
As a director, I thank you and agree with your comments about the staff at Oaklands Court. We consider ourselves blessed to have such excellent, compassionate and loyal staff .... indeed they are our greatest asset.

My Mum was very happy living here. She loved all aspects of life from breakfast through to supper (enjoying the lovely tempting food that was on offer) the staff are absolutely superb and always willing to go the extra mile to help. Attending activities when she was able, enjoying them all, often talking about what she had done. There was no pressure for her to do anything she did not want to.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Rebecca Hignett, Associate Manager at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 10 Oct 2016:

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are so happy that your mum enjoyed staying with us.

My dear mum was only at Oaklands nursing Home for four months but in that time I cannot thank the staff enough for looking after her. They were so kind especially when we knew mum did not have long to live. Dementia is a terrible disease but the staff showed such kindness. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

My Mother was moved to Oaklands from Eastbourne Hospital for End-of -life Care.
As a family could not be more satisfied by the care and kindness she received. Nothing was too much trouble and the staff always found the time to discuss my mothers care and any concerns we had. We were unable to care for her at home because of her nursing needs, but Oaklands provided the next best thing.
We cannot thank the staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

Maureen Taylor, Operational Director at Oaklands Court responded to this review on 29 Mar 2016:

Thank you kindly J.
I am so pleased we had a bed available for Mum at this special time.

My mother has been in the care home for 5 years and whilst able to she joined in with all the activities and thoroughly enjoyed herself. She is now frail, 102 and stays in her room (her choice) but the nursing care she gets is kind and appropriate to her needs. I find the home a very friendly place and someone is always available to speak to when I have even the smallest concern. The staff certainly do their very best.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

The home provides a caring homely environment with the residents being treated as individuals. There is always a calm and relaxing atmosphere in the home with friendly helpful staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Oaklands Court? Extremely Likely

My mother was moved to Oaklands when her previous nursing home was closing down. The moment I walked into Oaklands I knew it was the new home for my mother. There is a lovely day room opening onto a conservatory and courtyard garden. Oaklands only had one room available a good sign of course. Mother had Alzheimer's and has died recently. The care she received was superb and I knew she was content. On every visit we were always made welcome and were well looked after. Over the last two days of my mothers life, I saw the care first hand and the care for my mother and me at the end of her life was as good as one could possibly ask for. I am hugely grateful to Oaklands for everything that they did form my mother and for us as a family.

Submit a Review for Oaklands Court

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Oaklands Court

Karen Pratt

Job Title: Manager

Joined: 2013

Karen Pratt joined the team at Oaklands Court in 2013 as deputy manager. In March 2016 she stepped up as registered manager when Maureen Taylor became the Operations Director.

Karen has been involved in care and nursing work for over 30 years. She worked in the NHS until 1997 when she became a nurse for nursing homes. Before joining Oaklands Court, Karen worked at a Nursing Home as registered manager for 12 years.

Karen is a highly qualified nurse, having worked in both hospital and care home settings for three decades.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Oaklands Court