Halvergate House

58 Yarmouth Road, North Walsham NR28 9AU

Halvergate House provides a range of both short and long term residential care to ensure residents have their needs met in a comfortable and friendly surrounding. The period building has been specially refurbished and modified to offer exceptional care for people living with dementia and those with physical disabilities and illnesses. Convalescent care and day care is also available at Halvergate House.

A range of caring roles are carried out by well trained staff including personal care and nursing care for those aged between 45 and 65 requiring nursing care due to disabilities.

All rooms have en-suite facilities and have been thoughtfully decorated and furnished with the individual needs of each resident in mind. Every room has been fitted with a call system to provide a safe environment for residents to live in.

A range of relaxation and activity areas can be located throughout the home including a lounge area with a piano and a large outside area that is well maintained throughout the year.

Group: East Anglia Care Homes Ltd

Person in charge: Andy Blakesley (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 50 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Stroke

Weekly Charges Guide: Nursing Care Single £618 – £753 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Halvergate House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Halvergate House: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Halvergate House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 6 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Halvergate House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.2 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.714 for Halvergate House is calculated as follows: ( (51 Excellents x 5) + (18 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 70 Ratings = 4.714

The 4.15 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Halvergate House is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 10 positive Reviews (50 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 10 Target = 0.400

8.9 Halvergate House has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.864) from 6 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Halvergate House?

Reviewer Connection to Halvergate House

My elderly mother spent the last few weeks of her life at Halvergate House.

She was treated kindly by the manager and colleagues throughout her final weeks. She was developing quite severe dementia and staff at all levels treated her with dignity and compassion. In her final few days she needed considerable nursing care and (as far as I can tell as a layperson) this was provided skilfully by the nursing staff. They were tactful and clear in their explanations of how events were unfolding and they supported us and gave me time in making informed choices.

I am grateful to the staff at all levels who cared for my mother - and for me and the family. They gave us time and space. I found the staff's skill and sensitivity immensely helpful as my mother was dying and also in the hours and days after her death.

How likely would you be to recommend Halvergate House? Likely

Initially I was not sure but as I was shown around by a lovely lady, I felt more happy and relaxed about the home, in fact, they made me feel very welcome. Since mum has been in the care home my initial feelings have been confirmed and mum has been made to feel very welcome and friendly (like family).

How likely would you be to recommend Halvergate House? Extremely Likely

My mother has a long history of complex and multiple health problems, both mental and physical. She can be very challenging and aggressive, even sometimes violent. Her current behaviour, which is caused by her advanced condition of vascular dementia coupled with mobility issues and other illnesses, has proven too difficult for two previous Care Homes to cope with, and indeed they both failed my mother quite badly. However, at Halvergate House the staff and manager have persevered with my mother and have discovered a management regime which works astonishingly well. They have shown professional levels of care and understanding, and have found, by allowing mother some freedom to explore her surroundings, and providing exactly the right level of support on good days and bad, that she can still have some quality of life. This is a remarkable achievement in a frighteningly difficult and challenging case, and they are to be commended very highly.

How likely would you be to recommend Halvergate House? Extremely Likely

My mother is a challenging person to care for and Halvergate have proved to be professional, caring and supportive of all our family.
I am grateful that they have been able to improve my mother's physical condition and provide the best of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Halvergate House? Extremely Likely

Mum spent 1 month in Halvergate House before she got very ill. My first impressions of the home were beautiful; situation, rooms, cleanliness, d├ęcor and facilities. I found the manager extremely polite, accommodating, warm and compassionate. The same with a few staff I met on that day. Mum's stay was for me everything I wanted. Good care and good quality of life. Excellent food, kindness and I found this anytime I visited day or night.

During Mum's final days, the 24-hour care by nursing staff and carers alike was second to none. She had the best most professional care I could have wished for. I cared for Mum for many years so I guess I expected the same level of care and I got it.

How likely would you be to recommend Halvergate House? Extremely Likely

Sadly, my father died in November 2015 but this event was hugely tempered by our whole family's feeling that he could not have received better care anywhere than at Halvergate House. The friendly, cheerful and caring staff were always ready and willing to tend to his every need with appropriate respect. He was especially appreciative of the high standard of cuisine and we know he sent compliments to the kitchen more than once! Unfortunately, he was severely hampered by his problems in partaking of the activities available so we feel we are not really qualified to pass judgement on that aspect but we have no reason to think them anything but 'good' as would be in keeping with the general high standard observed elsewhere. Certainly we do believe that my father was made to feel as comfortable and even 'loved' as it is possible for any staff anywhere to fulfill this function. We would like to extend our very grateful thanks and kind regards to all and would happily recommend Halvergate House to anyone.

Submit a Review for Halvergate House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Halvergate House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Halvergate House