The Gables Care Home

1595 Wolverhampton Road, Oldbury B69 2BJ

Group: Absolute Care Homes (Central) Ltd

Person in charge: Kerry Jackson (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 51 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Gables Care Home: click here

6.2 The Gables Care Home has a Review Score of 6.2 (6.244)

The Review Score of 6.2 (maximum of 10) for The Gables Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Gables Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 2.3 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 2 years. (A 2 year period has been used as there were no positive reviews in the last 12 months)

The Average Rating of 3.95 for The Gables Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (16 Excellents x 5) + (51 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 80 Ratings = 3.95

The 2.294 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Gables Care Home is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 24 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 4 then divided by 2 = 2.000

2. Target of 10.2 positive Reviews (51 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 10.2 Target = 0.588 , then divided by 2 = 0.294

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Gables Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Gables Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

My family chose this home because it's near to where I came from. I have been here about 2 years. I have a nice bath which is lovely. I go to bed when I chose and get up early for breakfast. I like the meals, especially breakfast - eggs and bacon. We play bingo and dominoes. We have a remembrance group, take our own photos, I receive my medication from the nurse. I like to go to bed early and watch TV.

How likely would you be to recommend The Gables Care Home? Likely

I find the home is nicely decorated and my room is lovely. Although The Gables outside are not looked after. They are over grown and they could do with a gardener. I enjoy the meals, cooked dinners and puddings. Drinks throughout the day and night. The staff are kind and helpful. Activities lady does bingo and we have singers and entertainers, church services, hairdressers. I am all right here.

How likely would you be to recommend The Gables Care Home? Extremely Likely

Kathleen Felton, Home Manager at The Gables Care Home responded to this review on 27 Jan 2016:

Thank you for the kind words about The Gables - we’re delighted to read how likely you are to recommend the home. In relation to the garden, this is definitely something we can look to improve, especially in time for the warmer weather so we can all enjoy the sunshine outside. I’d love to hear any ideas on anything you’d like to see in the garden so I’ll be in touch to talk further. In the meantime, I will discuss this with the maintenance team. Thank you again. Kind regards, Kathleen Felton.

The home is well situated overlooking Bury Hill Park. I have been here a few years. I find everyone is helpful. I have a nice room and I like to join in the activities; play bingo, cards, dominoes. We have shows and singers and church services. I enjoy the meals and like the puddings. I like to go to bed early, the night staff bring me a bedtime drink. I sleep well. I am settled.

How likely would you be to recommend The Gables Care Home? Extremely Likely

Laundry system failures. Found dirty clothes on chairs in room, taken myself to wash at home. Clothes hanging in wardrobe not ownership of resident. Proper printed name tag on garments but still items go missing. Not enough staff about to take residents to toilet regularly- left to wet pads instead. No staff available to accompany residents to take out to venues. Residents state how boring it is sitting all day in lounge doing nothing. Room cleaning and toilet adequate but under bed and furniture leaves much to be desired. Regular garden control would be helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend The Gables Care Home? Likely

Their are some fantastic carers and some not so good. We can never find a carer when we need one, dads buzzer rings for ages sometimes before anyone appears. My dad needed moving up the bed as he was uncomfortable on one occasion and we were told he would have to wait while the staff had a goodbye party for a nurse who was leaving!!! I immediately approached the manager who was wonderful and sorted it. There have been occasions where the nursing staff have referred to my dad as 'giving up' when this was no the case and even if it was to comment on this in my opinion inappropriate.

How likely would you be to recommend The Gables Care Home? Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Care / Support: Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Treated with Dignity: Poor

Food & Drink: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Kathleen Felton, Home Manager at The Gables Care Home responded to this review on 14 Dec 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for The Gables Care Home. We appreciate everyone’s feedback and make sure we act upon it in the best way we can. I’m pleased that you think some of the carers are fantastic, and that some things have been handled well. I am concerned however that you are saying you sometimes have to wait for your dad’s buzzer to be answered, and that you feel some of the carers are not so good. This is not acceptable and is something I’m going to be looking into immediately. Our aim is always to put our residents first so if you are happy with it I would like to discuss the issues you have mentioned with you in more detail so we can get a plan in place to address them. Thank you again for your comments.

I have been in the home a number of years, I have a nice room over looking the park. Enjoy the meals and puddings. I have friends and company. I like theme days, singers and parties, fish and chip suppers, cheese/wine parties. The priest comes from the local church. All the staff are kind and helpful. I receive my medication from the nurse daily. My room is clean and tidy. Gardens badly in need of attention.

How likely would you be to recommend The Gables Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have been in the home about 5 months. I have a nice room and I have made friends. All the staff are very helpful and caring. I receive my medication from the nurse every day. We have entertainers, singers and parties, sherry afternoon. My family visit regularly, i have a nice bath or a shower. I enjoy the meals cooked 3 course lunch and pudding every day. Teac, coffee, orange juice, Horlicks at night.

Submit a Review for The Gables Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for The Gables Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Gables Care Home