St Mary's Care Home, Middlesbrough, Cleveland & Teesside

St Mary’s aspires to high standards of personal care for nursing and residential requirements, including dementia care and care for those with Parkinson's and Huntington's disease. Respite and convalescence provision is also available from a team of professionals who prioritise the dignity and respect of each individual.

Situated in the rolling countryside in the village of Linthorpe, the facility has been purpose-built to provide comfortable and secure accommodation. Residents can eat and socialise in spacious dining rooms while enjoying well-furnished lounges, access to secure gardens and bedrooms with memory boxes to aid cognitive ability.

Freshly prepared meals are made to suit personal taste and diet, which are assessed soon after each client’s arrival.

Many group and individual activities add to the atmosphere of the home, including painting and gardening clubs, with themed events, such as garden parties, taking place each month.

Person in charge: Anthony Dulson (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Middlesbrough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Tagalog

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St Mary's Care Home: click here

9.7 St Mary's Care Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.705)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for St Mary's Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Mary's Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.705 for St Mary's Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (188 Excellents x 5) + (53 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 251 Ratings = 4.705

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Mary's Care Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Mary's Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to St Mary's Care Home

My Dad has been looked after with respect, dignity, professionalism and utmost care since he joined the St Mary's family in December 2016. Nothing is ever too much trouble and all the staff are fantastic, looking after Dad like we would ourselves.
Dad's health deteriorated recently and he sadly passed away, however, the team always ensured he was kept comfortable and relaxed and they catered for his medical needs with utmost dignity and care.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there for Dad and all our family for the last five months of his 89 years. Words can't express our appreciation.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 31 May 2017:

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My grandad has been at St Mary's Care Home for over a year now. He has really settled in, the care staff are really very caring and very friendly they make you feel welcome at all times. My grandad has really come out of his shell since he s been at St Mary's, he has a lovely bedroom with all his home comforts. The food is lovely and my grandad is a fussy eater but the cook will always make him something else if he doesn't like what's on the menu. I also think the manager is very approachable and very polite he always speaks to me when I come in he is always about if you need to speak to him. St Mary's is such a lovely place it's just like home from home it is always spotlessly clean, I'm so glad we picked this home its the best decision we could have made because my grandad is so happy there.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer srevices administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 10 Apr 2017:

I'm so glad to hear that your Grandad is very happy and that he he has come out of his shell. I t is lovely to hear that it is like a home from Home. The Bupa Customer care team.

The staff are kind, helpful and friendly. Patients don't seem to have much to do or talk to. I know they have dementia but more interaction would be nice. Floors could be a bit cleaner and new clothes (with name tags) seem to vanish. But generally, it's a nice, comfortable home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff are very friendly and caring. The cleaners do a very good job keeping the home extremely clean and odour free. The care that they give my mother is what I see them giving to other residents. Excellent, well done, St Mary's Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Likely

My daughter has had dementia for 6 years and is only 57. She had to move from residential care to nursing due to her condition. Deteriorating. The staff are so supportive towards my daughter and her needs. The food is outstanding and there are daily activities for her. I would highly recommend this home to everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jamie, National Development Manager at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 31 Mar 2017:

My sister required nursing care due to her illness deteriorating. The staff at St Mary's were very reassuring as we were very anxious about how the move would affect her. There so many different activities daily which keep her occupied. Highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

St Mary's is set in a nice location with access to local amenities e.g cafes, community centre, Church, pubs, park and museum, which she particularly enjoyed. There is good parking and the views over the road and gardens are very pleasant. The rooms are well sized, clean and bright. There are plenty of staff including nurses and they are friendly and helpful. The manager is friendly, helpful and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

You are always welcomed at St Mary's Nursing Home. My mother gets treated very well indeed. Her dignity is always respected. She is always well looked after, the staff, carers, cleaners and management are very aware of her needs and always well cared for.
I cannot praise this nursing home any more than I have as 'excellent' and value for money too. They can make their rooms as homely as they wish as well. My mother really likes it here too. If at any time we need to know mother is unwell they ring us, and we can visit anytime.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jamie, National Development Manager at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 24 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My mother is a resident of St Mary's I would like to say that I really appreciate the service from the manager, staff and nurses. Not only is my mother being well looked after but we are made to feel very welcome on our visits and kept fully informed about her. St Mary's is in a nice area with many good amenities. The food for residents is very good with a choice of menus. The home is secure and safe and the rooms are bright and with good views.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Tom Meyer, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 20 Mar 2017:

We are thankful for your review and happy to hear your mother is well looked after and feels safe.

My father was very well cared for at St Mary's Care Home. He was always dressed smartly and all his hygiene needs were met. My Mum and Dad quickly became part of the St Marys family. The staff are compassionate, kind and sensitive to the needs of the family. Anthony the manager is approachable, he is always visible in the home ensuring the residents have everything they need. I can't thank Anthony and the staff enough for how they cared for my Dad.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Robert Coleman, Contact Centre Team Manager at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 16 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your review, Sarah. It is great to hear that both your Mum and Dad became part of the St Mary's family so quickly.

My mum has been a resident for nearly 3 years. We tried 3 other homes in the area for respite care and my mum and our family were unhappy with all of them. There is no place like your own home but as we were unable to cope at home I feel very lucky to have got my mum a placement in St Mary's Care Home where she has settled so well.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

My mother has been very happy at St Mary's for several years. She has found a new lease of life and is socialising well.
Physically her health has improved and she is thriving on the good food and hygiene regime the staff provide.
As a relative and visitor, I am very welcome anytime and the staff always make an effort to tell me how my mother has been, they obviously know her well and respond to her particular needs and wants.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 24 Jan 2017:

Since Dad first walked into St Mary's, he has been made to feel welcome, safe and cared for. All of the staff made us (his family) feel welcome too and they always take the time to talk to us and answer any questions that we have. Dad has advanced dementia and other health issues. The nursing and care team have taken the time to get to know him, his individual likes and dislikes and make him feel special. The rooms are lovely but it is the staff that make St Mary's such a special place for Dad and for us when we visit. The food looks wonderful with a varied choice and I have noticed the staff taking the time to ensure all residents are catered for every time. The manager and his team have gone out of their way to help us and reassure us in what has been a very difficult time when Mum passed away. I would recommend St Mary's to anyone looking for outstanding care.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 24 Jan 2017:

In unexpected circumstances my dad had to go into care as my mum was admitted to hospital. The staff from day one went above and beyond to not only help him settle but reassure family members. The care observed was second to none and nothing was too much trouble. Sadly my mum passed away and the funeral today could not have been bearable without the staff's care and help. They not only provided care for my dad but support for my family and me. To date, I cannot fault any aspect of this care and as a qualified nurse, it reassures me that the care in this home is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. Please accept our condolences. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I visit the care home quite a lot. Always find it so friendly and welcoming. The summer fetes are brilliant and good day to be had. I love mixing with the wonderful staff and residents.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 30 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

St Mary's care home is a very friendly and welcoming home. On several visits I have found the staff and manager always being aware that all residents needs are met. Staff and residents are like one big family such a close bond with one another. The standard of cleanliness is very good and the residents seem to have a wide variety of meal choice. Always plenty of activities available. Altogether I would highly recommend st Mary's care home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jun 2016:

I visited St Mary's to establish whether it was a suitable place for my father who has dementia and other health problems. The manager since that first day guided me through a very painful and emotional time. He advised when my Father would be ready to leave his home and started a strategy that would ease my Father into his new environment. By the time he was in need of the care home full time, my Father was happy in the company of the staff and his fellow residents! Dad has been living there now for almost 2 years and has settled really well, thanks to the staff. They are a good team and look after him on all levels, health, mind and spirit.
They are also appreciative of my situation and help me to deal with my own issues.
I feel welcome there and I know Dad feels at home. He enjoys his food and is aware of others and helped to interact more and join in activities. Just being in the company of others has helped. I am happy because I know he is safe and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 24 Jun 2016:

Since my mother took up residence in St Mary's Care Home I have not had any worry about her. She was well looked after. The care she received in my opinion was first class. If there were problems they informed me instantly. The manager and staff are excellent to the needs of my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 18 May 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The care provided to my father was excellent. My father felt very comfortable and safe with all staff members which was of great comfort to the family. My father was treated with dignity and all staff displayed an inherent sense of care.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care for my husband is first class. The staff are competent, dedicated, kind and fun to be with. The home is well run and well managed. The home has a friendly homely atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am extremely happy with the care my husband receives at St Mary's! All the staff are very caring and kind. The Manager and his team are very attentive and nothing is ever a problem. All the meals are delicious, highly nutritious and presented beautifully. I am always invited to dine with my husband, the whole team are so very generous. My husband is very lucky to be receiving such outstanding care! A big thank you to all at St Mary's.

Submit a Review for St Mary's Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Mary's Care Home