Movilla House, Newtownards, County Down

Movilla House Nursing Home is purpose-built and is situated in two acres of woodland garden and lawns in the town of Newtownards, Co. Down.

Movilla House has a friendly atmosphere providing specialised nursing care for elderly and has an enviable reputation for high quality care. Staff are trained to the highest standards and chosen for their warm, friendly and caring attitude.

The philosophy is to provide residents with a clean, secure and relaxed atmosphere where each individual will consider Movilla House their home. They promote the core values of privacy, dignity, freedom of choice, independence and fulfilment.

A dedicated activity co-ordinator is available for residents and can arrange for them to take part in as many or as few activities as they wish.

The home is inspected by the Regulation & Quality Improvement Authority, who have remarked on the quality of food and presentation of special dietary needs.

Owner: Movilla House Nursing Homes (NI) Ltd

Person in charge: Rosemary Lappin (Matron)

Local Authority / Social Services: South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 50 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Bipolar/Manic Depression • Head/Brain Injury • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: No Smoking. Ages 18+.

Weekly Charges Guide: Nursing Care Single £704 – £748 , Nursing Care Shared (per person) £644 – £659 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Movilla House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority* Report on Movilla House: click here

* The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Northern Ireland.

9.6 Movilla House has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.575)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Movilla House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.9 out of 5 from 8 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Movilla House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.875 for Movilla House is calculated as follows: ( (84 Excellents x 5) + (12 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 96 Ratings = 4.875

The 4.7 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Movilla House is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10 positive Reviews (50 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 10 Target = 0.700

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Movilla House?

Reviewer Connection to Movilla House

• Son-in-law of Resident/Service User

My aunt was a resident within this beautiful nursing home. All the staff from nurses, carers, activity coordinator and housekeeping teams were excellent.
They offered great care and compassion. All the staff work well as a team offering support to all the family. They make you feel part of their extended family.
My aunt sadly passed away and I can honestly say I was well supported.
Great appreciation to them all and to the home manager you have a wonderful team supporting you.
Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Movilla House? Extremely Likely

This must be the best-kept secret in the world of Nursing Homes. The care taken over the residents, the entertainment and the friendly and quite normal approach of the staff to those who live there is truly amazing. In the area of entertainment even in the period coming up to easter baby chicks were laid on and a lamb to be fed etc. The food is also fantastic. This place a cross between a hotel and a nursing home! I can say this is the best nursing home I have visited or had a family member stay in.

How likely would you be to recommend Movilla House? Extremely Likely

My mother aged 97, has been a resident in Movilla for the past nine months. During this time Movilla has lived up to its motto "Always trusted to care". The building is bright, cheerful and welcoming, set in well-maintained grounds. My mother's room is comfortable and kept clean and fresh. Food is excellent; nutritious and tailored to suit individual requirements, essential for a diabetic. A wide variety of activities is available. However, what matters most is the quality of the staff. That quality is very high; residents are treated not with respect alone, but with affection. Individually and collectively, staff members create a warm, welcoming environment which greatly benefits residents and their family members. The knowledge and expertise of nursing staff give additional reassurance. In short, Movilla House is a well-administered, efficient organisation through which residents receive quality care in a pleasing and happy environment and can be highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend Movilla House? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident of Movilla House for almost a year and is now one of the Movilla House 'family'. He is very content and well looked after and this gives us peace of mind to know he is safe. The home is bright, clean and well looked after with no smells and it is a pleasure to visit dad there. The staff are all so friendly and approachable. The food is excellent and all home made and individual tastes are catered for. There is always plenty going on with special events, entertainment and church services. I would wholeheartedly recommend Movilla House to anyone looking for a caring home for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Movilla House? Extremely Likely

My Father has been a resident of Movilla Care Home for almost one year. The care he has received has been second to none with great attention to his emotional well-being as well as his physical health. The care staff themselves go above and beyond the call of duty to take great care of him. The food is excellent, plentiful and nutritious and the chef in residence tailors the menu to the residents' needs. The staff have encouraged him to take part in all the many activities available as there is an excellent and dedicated Activities Organiser. Communication with the family is good and we are kept up to date with any changes in my Father's care.

How likely would you be to recommend Movilla House? Extremely Likely

I would definitely recommend Movilla House to anyone who is looking for a nursing home for their loved one. My experience I have found every staff member very supportive and sympathetic to every bit of my mother's needs. The home is very clean and I have never experienced any bad smells when coming into the reception area.
The food is very nicely presented which is very important when you have someone like my mother who would eat with her eyes, if she didn't like the look of anything then she would not eat it. Needless to say, as well as the food looking good, it is very tasty (as I have already tried it for myself). I also like the fact that Movilla House has an open door policy, you can visit anytime night or day. I find that very comforting because I feel they have nothing to hide. When a resident is poorly the level of care is fantastic, and I do go home with peace of mind knowing that I have left my mother in good safe hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Movilla House? Extremely Likely

My husband has been in Movilla for a while now and I feel that he is very well looked after. Both myself, and my husband have excellent relationships with the staff. They are extremely helpful, caring and friendly. They always have time to reassure me and they go above and beyond on a daily basis. The care they provide to my husband is second to none.

How likely would you be to recommend Movilla House? Extremely Likely

My mother has been a resident at Movilla House for two years. As I live overseas and only get home to visit her twice a year, it is of the utmost importance to me that I feel I can trust that she is being given the best care possible. I have consistently found the staff to be very attentive, patient and kind. They address the residents by name and are warm and caring in their interactions.
The home has undergone major refurbishment this year having been newly painted throughout and fitted with new carpets, curtains and decor. It looks completely refreshed and welcoming. The gardens are also maintained beautifully and I have enjoyed on several occasions arriving to find my mother outside with other residents enjoying a warm, sunny day. On my most recent visit I was happy to join her in a cupcake decorating workshop organized by the activity coordinator. A number of the residents gathered in the dining room to make icing and decorate cupcakes with a variety of toppings. They then ate them as tea was served and shared stories of baking in their younger days. A sing-along spontaneously broke out and was encouraged by the coordinator and everyone joined in. It was a delight to see. Also on the wall was a collage of drawings by residents from another workshop and I was happy to see that Mum had also participated in that. These activities and opportunities to gather socially are a wonderful asset.
My siblings and I feel very fortunate that our mother is at Movilla House and we are confident that she is receiving the best of care.

Submit a Review for Movilla House

February 2015

Jenny

Jenny Bell

Joined: 2014

I was promoted to General Manager of Movilla House in October 2014 and I am responsible for overseeing its day to day running.

During my career I have worked in various sectors and this has given me a broad depth of knowledge. Having over 10 years experience in finance and management I have been able to put these skills to good use in Movilla to ensure its smooth and efficient running. Building on Movilla's excellent reputation I want to know that all residents are proud to call Movilla home, by providing our dedicated team with the resources to enable them to deliver an excellent, caring service.

I am passionate about Movilla House and my role, it combines my love of management and finance with the satisfaction of helping people.

Rosemary

Rosemary Lappin

Job Title: Acting Matron

Joined: 2004

In 1984 I qualified from Purdysburn Hospital (now called Knockbracken Health Care Park). Then I took time out to raise my family of 3 children – 2 daughters and 1 son.

From 2000-2001 I attended Return to Practice at Antrim Area Hospital and went on to work in Care of Elderly where I became interested in Palliative Care. I joined Movilla House as a Staff Nurse in 2004. I successfully completed the Princess Alice European Certificate in Palliative Care in 2012 and became a Sister in Movilla
House.

Louise

Louise Riley

Job Title: Sister

Joined: 2013

I qualified as an RGN in 1996 and completed an Honours Degree in Health & Social Care in 2013. I started work in Movilla House as a staff nurse in June 2013 and in February 2014, I was promoted to Sister.

Throughout that time my main focus has been in caring for elderly patients. I gained extensive experience throughout my years in the NHS but really enjoy the opportunity that working in Movilla House gives me for getting to know and care for residents and their families.

Georgie

Georgie Bell

Job Title: Activity Co-Ordinator

Joined: 2014

As Activity Co-ordinator, I am responsible for maintaining and introducing personal and stimulating activities. These are an important part of improving the quality of life of our residents.

I joined Movilla in 2014 as Activity Co-ordinator having also had this role in Bramblewood Care Home for 9 years.

I love that I am able to enhance the life of our residents.

Jonathan

Jonathan Francis

Job Title: Catering Manager

Joined: 1999

I joined Movilla as a cook in 1999 and was promoted to Catering Manager in 2007. Before this I qualified with NVQ Level 2 Hospitality and Catering, I gained experience working as a trainee in restaurants and progressed to the position of Chef.

I moved into the Nursing Kitchen environment when the opportunity arose at Movilla, this was prompted by Movilla’s excellent reputation and the high standard of the Food Hygiene Rating received.

Over the years I have been supported by an excellent team, they have helped add value to continually improve the dining experience at Movilla.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Movilla House