The Chestnuts Care Home, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

The Chestnuts is a modern and purpose-built home that caters for older people's care needs in Buckinghamshire. The home welcomes people with a range of needs, including those living with dementia.

Residents can enjoy a sociable environment with a person-centred care ethos. Support provided aims to ensure that residents lead a fulfilled life and enjoy as much independence as they are able.

The Chestnuts is a friendly home and staff take pride in creating a welcoming atmosphere for residents and their visitors. Residents enjoy a range of activities and access to wheelchair accessible grounds and gardens.

Heritage Care believe that everyone is unique and they should be able to lead valued lives in their communities treated with dignity and respect, no matter their age, health condition or disability.

Group: Heritage Care

Person in charge: Gill Edwards (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Buckinghamshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 64 Service Users

Admission Information: Self-Funders & Local Authority funded places available. Ages 65+.

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £655 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact The Chestnuts Care Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Visitors welcome at all times.

Plenty of parking for visitors onsite.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Chestnuts Care Home: click here

posted 13 Feb 2018

We currently have rooms available. Please contact us to discuss your requirements further and to arrange a visit.

8.8 The Chestnuts Care Home has a Review Score of 8.8 (8.754)

The Review Score of 8.8 (maximum of 10) for The Chestnuts Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Chestnuts Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.1 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.691 for The Chestnuts Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (142 Excellents x 5) + (10 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (7 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 165 Ratings = 4.691

The 4.063 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Chestnuts Care Home is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 12.8 positive Reviews (64 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 12.8 Target = 0.313

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Chestnuts Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Chestnuts Care Home

My mother in law resided at The Chestnuts for four and half years before moving into a nursing home this month. During her stay, she was treated with the utmost respect and dignity and we cannot thank the staff at The Chestnuts enough. They have always been so welcoming, friendly and treated my mother in law and ourselves with such professionalism. We were always updated, either during our visits or by phone, about my mother in law and we were more than confident that she was receiving the highest care and support.

The facilities, activities and the overall standard of The Chestnuts is exceptionally high and I cannot praise the staff enough for what can be a very demanding and at times stressful job. The care home was extremely welcoming, a home from home feel and was always immaculate.

It was sad to see my mother in law leave, but her needs became more complex so this was a necessary move.

Well done to all the staff, you are doing an amazing job and we thank you for it.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Davina Sellick, Head of Marketing & Communications at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 21 Aug 2017:

Thank you for such positive feedback about The Chestnuts. Our staff will be delighted to hear that the support, care and attention that your mother-in-law received was so very much appreciated.

The treatment and care of my aunt was second to none. She was quite happy to reside at The Chestnuts and was appreciative of the staff. Whenever my wife and I visited, we found the carers very good and kind. We were always greeted by our Christian names and offered refreshments. My aunt was always very clean and well dressed by the carers and she enjoyed chatting and having a giggle with them. When she was at the end of her life, the carers had a tape playing in her room of lovely hymns, which she would have appreciated being a life-long Christian. They also sat and read the Bible to her which was so very kind of them. My wife and I cannot praise her care too much. Many thanks to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff at The Chestnuts (Oak) are very caring and took care of my Great-Aunt very well. My Aunt would always say how great they were at taking care of her. On my visits I was always greeted warmly and offered tea/coffee etc. Staff would update me on Auntie since my last visit so that I knew when she was having her hair done or if the optician would be in. The staff would often mention that my Aunt had told them about her childhood and also that she laughed with them when they would get her up.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very caring home. The staff could not be more loving. People on reception always knew my name and were so pleasant. The activities were excellent. Would have no problem in going into a home like this.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Davina Sellick, Head of Marketing & Communications at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 10 Jul 2017:

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We will ensure we pass your comments on to the care team at The Chestnuts.

Mum enjoyed her stay of respite care. Things that particularly impressed her included: the quality of the food, the kindness shown to her by the staff, the lovely clean rooms and the help she received with day to day things.

Sharing her time with others stimulated her. The comfort of her room and the view from her window enabled her to watch people and feel a part of the world.

Mum hopes to become a permanent resident. Her daughter lives nearby. Thank you for the support desperately needed at this time.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Davina Sellick, Head Marketing & Communications at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 27 Apr 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words. Our team at the Chestnuts do an outstanding job, they will be delighted to read such nice comments. We look forward to welcoming your mother back to The Chestnuts very soon.

The standard of care and cleanliness is second to none. It is very cheerful and bright. It is a lovely home. The care and consideration given to my husband were excellent. Staff are very caring and friendly, very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Davina Sellick, Head of Marketing & Communications at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 09 Jan 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words. We delighted that you found the home, staff and support received at The Chestnuts to be of such a good standard. We will ensure that your comments are passed on to The Chestnuts staff team.

The help that I've received and the care that has been shown to my mother since she first arrived through respite and then onto a full-time placement has been wonderful. She has told me not to worry as the staff, food, room and care is better than she could have dreamed of.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Paul Roche, Transition Lead at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 29 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review of The Chestnuts. It is good to see that your Mother has settled in well.

I was extremely worried when it was confirmed that my mother had Alzheimers and would need to live in a care home. I need not have worried at all. The staff, throughout are just amazing. They truly are about the well-being of every resident. They are always organising activities and bring fun and laughter to the residents. Every aspect is carried out thoroughly and thoughtfully. I will be forever grateful to them all.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Paul Roche, Transition Lead at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 16 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review and your kind comments regarding The Chestnuts Care Home. Your comments will be passed onto the Manager and her staff.

I have just returned from two weeks respite care. The best I have received in ten years. The staff were kind and caring and my wife was delighted to collect me, finding me clean and contented. My first visit to the Chestnuts, I hope it will not be my last. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Paul Roche, Transition Lead at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 14 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your review of The Chestnuts. We are delighted to see that your stay with us was the best you have received in 10 years and hope to welcome you to The Chestnuts again.

I was rather apprehensive as it was my first visit for respite care. I needn't have worried. I was made welcome and looked after extremely well. The Chestnuts is bright, clean, colourful with the decor and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were all lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

I cannot recommend The Chestnuts highly enough. My mother has been there for about 3 and a half years and loves it. All the staff, I know from the cleaners, laundry staff, carers and management are so friendly and nice. All very caring, kind, nothing is too much trouble for them.
They have a variety of food and drinks which is all presented nicely. They have their rooms cleaned daily, they are spotlessly clean. They have a lot of activities, are taken out regularly if they want to go, coffee at the day centre, the pub and trips to museums. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. If they are unwell you are notified straight away.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very happy with everything.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

As a family we have been extremely privileged to have our relative at The Chestnuts.
My father first went for respite 9 years ago. Due to his declining health we had to look to long term care.
We were fortunate enough to get a place at The Chestnuts.
In almost 7 years we have witnessed the wonderful care given by all staff. Not only to my father, but, to all the family especially my mother. Their support to us all has been amazing.
The welcome starts at the front door and goes throughout the building.
We are always informed of any medical concerns. They listen to Dad a lot. Should a name come up that they did not recognise, they would ask us and build on it.
All the staff know us by our Christian names and keep up to date with new babies etc, so that they in turn can keep Dad up to date as much as his Dementia allows.
We all are extremely sad that Dad has to move to nursing care, however, we know he has had the best of care available.
The dedication of the staff is unbelievable. Their patience, kindness and understanding is a credit to them all.
As a family we would highly recommend The Chestnuts. A home where a loved one may be cared for in such a homely safe environment.
We would have no hesitation in recommending such a happy home.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Likely

Earlier this year my Aunt and Uncle were moved into The Chestnuts. Initially all was well. Then my Uncles mobility declined. And the manager decided that he wanted my Uncle moved. Without considering my Aunt or Uncles feeling or without discussing the move with the family! They just moved him, after nearly 63 years of marriage they have separated them. We have been given no information about where he has gone and I hold the manager of The Chestnuts responsible for this.

How likely would you be to recommend The Chestnuts Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Care / Support: Very Poor

Treated with Dignity: Very Poor

Food & Drink: Very Poor

Activities: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Safety / Security: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Alyson Williams, Communication Assistant at The Chestnuts Care Home responded to this review on 13 Jan 2016:

We were very sorry to hear that this lady did not have a positive experience of the home.

We strive to meet the individual needs of all our residents and it is always unfortunate when a person’s level of need changes and it is necessary for them to move to a different kind of care.

90% of relatives who responded to our annual survey at The Chestnuts this year reported that their relatives rights were acknowledged and acted upon. 100% of relatives felt staff were friendly.

We always see families as partners in the care of their loved ones and strive to work with them and the care managers and placement team from the local council who arrange the placements and moves for many of the people we care for.

Submit a Review for The Chestnuts Care Home

January 2014

December 2013

Investors in People

Recipient: Heritage Care

Date: Sunday 01 Dec 2013

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Chestnuts Care Home