Waters View Residential Home

85 Harwich Road, Little Oakley, Dovercourt, Harwich CO12 5JA

Waters View Residential Home, Harwich, Essex

Waters View Residential Home, in Harwich, is a comfortable residential home that welcomes long-term needs, temporary respite and day care. Care workers, many of whom have been at Waters View for a number of years and either hold or are working towards NVQs, build up strong relationships with residents in order to make sure their personal needs and preferences are understood.

At Waters View there is always a focus on being a home-like environment. This vision is helped by the home being a lovingly converted private house, with rural surroundings and secure gardens. All rooms are en - suite and individually decorated to ensure that home from home feeling.

Assisted bathing is an addition that helps those with mobility issues and there are many homely comforts for residents to enjoy, as well as nutritious meals and strong links with medical services.

Owner: Mr & Mrs A Bradshaw

Person in charge: C A Bradshaw (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 15 Service Users

Admission Information: We can take private or social services referrals. We will carry out a pre admission assessment to ensure that we can offer any prospective Resident the high level of individual care they need and deserve. We can also take emergency placements. Please call us to discuss the admisisons procedure.. Ages 60+.

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £624

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

We strongly encourage visitors to maintain our Resident's links with their family and friends and to help us keep them stimulated and happy. Visitors are warmly welcomed at all (reasonable) times. Any prospective Resident and family members are welcome to visit at any time but may wish to call us in advance to ensure the Assistant Manager is present to answer any queries.

There are spaces immediately to the front of the Home for visiting families, friends and healthcare professionals.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Waters View Residential Home: click here

posted 20 Apr 2017

We currently have day care places available - flexible days and times to suit you or your loved one's needs. We offer high quality, individually tailored care in our small, homely and friendly residential care home. Contact Carol on 07787 531407 for further details on this opportunity for your loved one.

9.7 Waters View Residential Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.651)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Waters View Residential Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Waters View Residential Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.651 for Waters View Residential Home is calculated as follows: ( (121 Excellents x 5) + (33 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 166 Ratings = 4.651

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Waters View Residential Home is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 3 positive Reviews (15 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 3 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Waters View Residential Home?

Reviewer Connection to Waters View Residential Home

• Father of Resident/Service User

I have only been here for about 4 - 5 weeks after having a bad fall and now unable to walk without a frame, also serious heart and kidney condition.
The family would not allow me to go home alone.
The council gave them two addresses of care homes.
When visited them were not impressed.
A local friend gave them this address which they immediately located and were very impressed with it and very happy for me to come here.
The location and home is very attractive and clean.
At first, I just wanted to go home, but after being here a couple of weeks I changed my mind.
The care ladies work 12 hours a day and very hard - day and night.
They are all so kind and helpful, will do anything for us, no complaints, only love and help.
The cooks are great, very good meals and lots of drinks all day.
The staff are absolutely first class.

How likely would you be to recommend Waters View Residential Home? Extremely Likely

I am extremely happy with the care of my father. Also, I am happy with the answers I got about my concerns of my father's wellbeing. The staff treated me with the utmost respect. Waters View is a wonderful facility. I know my father is in good hands.

My father in law went in for respite after a long stay in hospital, he was looked after so well, with so much care and attention he is now well enough to go home at 91. Lots of thanks to all the staff, wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

My mother has been a resident of Waters View for over six years and has consistently been treated with great care and dignity. Many of the staff have been there for a number of years and that stability is an enormous strength of the home. They are very warm and friendly to residents and visitors alike. The environment is homely and comfortable and I have observed how staff give individual attention to residents.
Although my mother is not well enough to participate in activities, I am aware of the events arranged for residents. Special times such as Easter, Christmas and Mothers' Day are always marked and friends and family are encouraged to participate. It is always easy to discuss my mother's care with staff and I feel confident that my mother's needs are met and that she is comfortable and safe.

My Mother has been at Waters View for a number of years and what continues to impress me is the patient, calm, kind and professional care she receives from the management and staff. Being a small home they have a small and constant team which is really reassuring for my Mother and us as her family. She is treated as an individual and with respect which is becoming increasingly important as sadly time sees her needs increasing. We are also kept updated on all matters relating to her and feel that we are an active and valued part of the planning for her care. The cheery hello and caring atmosphere whenever we visit makes our time at the home as enjoyable as it can be at times when things can be upsetting as sadly dementia can result in.

My Mother-in-Law has been cared for now for a number of years at Waters View Residential Home. She is always treated with dignity and respect which is especially important now as her condition becomes frailer and challenging for the staff. We as a family always have a cheery welcome and the home always feels a happy, safe and positive place. The offer of a hot drink and homemade cake is always welcomed by us! This Christmas, despite Mother-in-Law, probably not really knowing what was going on, efforts were still made to have her room decorated and include her as much as possible in the festive spirit and events. A special touch was the visit of 'Father Christmas' to all residents including those who need to/chose to stay in their rooms and a small thoughtful gift from the home. It made our visit that morning a cheerful and positive one - thank you.

I was very pleased with the way my friend was looked after. Staff very friendly. The food was excellent. Been in today to see another friend and he is still very well looked after and he was very happy with the food.

A well run home, the assistant manager and staff are always welcoming and professional. A clean and well run home. Compared to some, I would have no hesitation settling a loved one in this homely care home. The assistant manager knows all residents well and is polite and professional at all times, from what I have seen, the residents are and as they should be a priority. A lovely home.

Mum has been in Waters View since beginning of March 2016 and is very well looked after. She mostly stays in her room, but whenever the staff are called to her they treat her with utmost respect and care and have all become quite fond of her, and that is more important to me than anything. I know she is safe and now she is settled in, I don't feel I have to visit every day like I did in the beginning, which takes some of the pressure of me and my husband.
However, I will not score everything as excellent as I feel that the decor is dated and tired in the home, and there is sometimes an unpleasant aroma - which obviously cannot be helped and I know the staff do their best to clean carpets etc over night - and I accept that my Mum's room is difficult to clean well when she is in her chair all the time. I have said value for money is satisfactory but that is a statement against all care homes not this one specifically because they are all very expensive.

C Bradshaw, Co Owner at Waters View Residential Home responded to this review on 09 Aug 2016:

We thank Cheryl for her many positive comments and have spoken to her about the comment about aroma. She confirmed to us that it is occasional and in the hallway which has the shared toilet (rooms have their own en - suite facilities) and bathroom off it. We acknowledge that very occasionally there may be a light smell, especially in the hot weather, if the toilet has just been used but also endorse Cheryl's comments about our attention to cleanliness - we try very hard and succeed in the main not to have any unpleasant smells. We deliberately keep the d├ęcor and furnishings 'old fashioned' in style to reflect the tastes of our Residents and how they like their rooms to be. and encourage, as Cheryl's Mother has, to add their personal furniture, pictures and ornaments to their rooms.

Mum's first home had a lot of problems with CQC. Mum had to have a safe guard as hygiene wasn't done. In September 2015 we finally got mum into Waters View. Mum settled quickly. She has dementia and finds changes hard. We had to visit every day at old place. Now she is happy and settled. The staff always very helpful and treat mum with dignity. Nothing is ever to much trouble. She has her hair done every Monday and looks well and healthy again. She looks like my old mum again. We were asked if we would like to have Xmas lunch there. The outings are fun and all clients love going on them. For the first time I can miss a day and not worry about mum as I know all her needs and support are giving to her.

Mum is well looked after. The room is not very satisfactory. She has a chest of drawers with is broken. This has been in this state for over 6 months. The floor the last two times I have been there is not clean. My mum would never live like that.
Care for mum is very good, and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Waters View Residential Home? Likely

Cleanliness: Poor

C Bradshaw, Owner at Waters View Residential Home responded to this review on 05 Jun 2016:

It is pleasing to see Della's mainly positive remarks about the care her Mother receives and has received with us for a number of years. With regard to the cleanliness of the bedroom we take pride is providing a homely atmosphere part of which is carpets in the bedrooms which can prove at times difficult to maintain/clean but we think them far homelier than linos or other similar floor coverings (these are easier to clean but we do not think they give a homely feel in the bedrooms and communal areas). We have a check list for the rooms which include cleanliness and now we are aware of this concern will speak to Della to try and see what dates the room was not clean and ensure this does not occur again. With regard to the drawers these have been replaced (prior to this review being received by us) and we did speak to Della when she raised the concern about 3 weeks ago with us saying we would try to mend or if not able to order a new set - the handy man tried another mend (they have had his attention on a previous occasion) but advised that a new set of drawers would be best and thus they were ordered. We have also asked that if possible the family sort through the drawers as they are for really designed for clothes but currently have quite a few books and magazines stored which make the drawers quite weighty leading to problems with the drawer runners (the problems in the past). We will speak to Della to provide this feedback to her in person and ensure that the action we have taken meets her concerns.

The staff are extremely caring and look after the residents with compassion. The atmosphere is homely and my Aunt has confirmed to me how happy she is living att Watersview. The home is always immaculate, and welcoming to visitors. I would recommend.

I am always impressed with the kindest of the staff at Waters View. They are patient, friendly and considerate. We are always offered a cuppa. They keep everything clean and tidy and it is very homely. The food prepared on site is always fresh, tasty and healthy. The residents seems to enjoy the traditional, home cooked meals. The soft furnishings are traditional but homely so the bedrooms do not feel clinical.
My impression is that the care provided is ideal for fragile, gentle residents in need of care and companionship. They can feel calm and safe at Waters View.

My wife's grandmother unfortunately had a shorter stay than expected as she passed away in her sleep aged 97 years old on August 13th 2015. Having had a three month wait to get a room at Waters View because it is so well run and staff with so much care and understanding of the aged. Therefore her stay was brief, I had knowledge of Waters View as an ex neighbour resided there for four years previously. My family visited my ex neighbour regularly everyone is treated with respect, the food is all home cooked even the cakes and biscuits. Its both clean and tidy and everyone smiles.

Submit a Review for Waters View Residential Home

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

February 2015

Helen Dye

Job Title: Assitant Manager

Joined: 2007

Helen started with Waters View in 2007 and now heads a tight knit, dedicated and experienced team providing a high level of individually tailored care to the Residents at Waters View. She has NVQ in Care level 3 and is working towards level 5 in Care and Level 3 in Business management. As well as the day to day running of the Home Helen also trains and mentors the staff in gaining their own qualifications, most of whom have NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Care.

Tracy Cooper

Job Title: Care Supervisor

Joined: 2004

Tracy has been with Waters View since 2004. She is integral in supervising & mentoring our dedicated caring team and supporting the Assistant Manager in delivering first rate, individually tailored care to our Residents. As well as a wealth of practical experience Tracy also holds a NVQ level 2 in Caring.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Waters View Residential Home