Hollybank Rest Home

41 Winchester Street, Botley, Southampton SO30 2EB

Hollybank is a small, friendly family run home, in the beautiful old village of Botley, Hampshire. Built in 1883, Hollybank is a lovely Victorian House, with a large garden.

Residents are encouraged to live an active life where possible and to pursue personal hobbies and activities. The priority is for freedom of choice in a homely and comfortable atmosphere.

The home has completed a six-bed extension, and refurbished the whole building, and every room in the home has its own en-suite wet room.

Now there is a beautiful lounge /dining room, a second smaller lounge area, and a relaxation/ treatment room to name but a few of the new features.

Owner: Hollybank Rest Home Ltd

Person in charge: Erin Langley (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hampshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 23 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Hollybank Rest Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.9 (maximum of 10) for Hollybank Rest Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.9 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hollybank Rest Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.934 for Hollybank Rest Home is calculated as follows: ( (212 Excellents x 5) + (15 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 227 Ratings = 4.934

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hollybank Rest Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 4.6 positive Reviews (23 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 4.6 Target Reached = 1

9.9 Hollybank Rest Home has a Review Score of 9.9 (9.934) from 19 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hollybank Rest Home?

Reviewer Connection to Hollybank Rest Home

My sister and I moved our 90-year-old mother to Hollybank a month ago. Our mum has had Alzheimer's for several years and has been in a home for the last four of them. We wanted to move her care home because she had become isolated, did not sleep, had shown signs of aggression towards other residents and was generally unhappy. But we were very frightened that the move to a smaller unfamiliar home would be bad for her. How wrong we were. Everyone at Hollybank has been kind, professional and understanding. Our mum has thrived there in just four weeks. She sleeps through the night, smiles all the time and is eating and drinking regularly. She looks clean and tidy every time we visit her and loves all the music and the garden. The staff at Hollybank really do care, sitting with residents to encourage them to eat and drink, putting an arm around them and making them smile if they need it. It feels like a happy place. In short, it is just like home. The best move we have ever made.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin Langley, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 15 May 2018:

Thank you for your kind review. I am really pleased to hear how happy you are with Hollybank. Your mother has settled very well and we have really enjoyed getting to know her over the last few weeks. We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback as it enables to evaluate how we do things. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the rest of the team. Thanks again, Erin.

My nan spent her last few months at Hollybank and we feel truly blessed to have found this wonderful home where she was treated with care, compassion and respect. My nan suffered from dementia and had presented with challenging behaviour in a different home.
The staff at Hollybank took my nan in at incredibly short notice and as a result of the compassion she was shown, she really started to turn around. She made some wonderful friends at Hollybank and they were always spoiled for group activities to do together. My only regret is that we didn't find Hollybank sooner and on behalf of the whole family I would like to express our appreciation for everything they have done; we couldn't have hoped for a better place for my nan to spend her final days.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin Langley, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 07 Mar 2018:

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are so pleased to have had the opportunity to know your nan. She was a lovely lady with a wonderful sense of humour. I am pleased to hear that you and your family were happy with the care that she received whilst she was with us. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the rest of the team. Thanks again.

Kindest Regards,
Erin.

I am absolutely delighted to have found this care home for my mum. All the staff here are very friendly and really do go that extra mile to care for the residents. My mum's quality of life has been greatly enhanced by being here. She is very happy and content and so am I and my brother knowing she is being taken care of. The home is very warm and welcoming and my mum's room is so cosy. Everything is immaculately clean but also retains a very homely atmosphere.

I would certainly recommend this home 100% as being the perfect place for your loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin Langley, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 21 Feb 2018:

Thank you Melody, for your kind review. Like you, we are very pleased with how well your mum has settled in. It’s lovely that all her visitors and even her GP have said how well she looks when they’ve popped into see her. I will be sure to pass your comments onto the whole team. It’s certainly useful to hear how our residents and their relatives think we are doing. Thanks again, Erin

Right from the first enquiry at the home, the staff were helpful and caring. The home is warm and homely, beautifully clean and well appointed. Rooms are bright and welcoming and there is a lovely garden for residents to enjoy in the summer.
The food served is good and varied and residents have plenty of activities to keep them stimulated. We felt the care and happiness of mum was the sole objective of all staff and that her quality of life would improve so the transition was actually easier than we'd imagined.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 22 Jan 2018:

Thank you Ruth for your kind review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on the to the rest of the team. Getting it right means a lot to us so receiving feedback is very important, thanks again, Erin

Very caring staff providing a friendly homely atmosphere. The whole accommodation throughout is very clean. There are no nasty smells and the decoration to the rooms and day room etc is excellent. Food from the kitchen is very tasty, nutritious and varied. They have a good range of events planned, and encourage (weather permitting) residents to take an interest in the garden. Very secure accommodation with all alarms, call system etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you Bruce. I am pleased you are happy with what we’re doing at Hollybank. We take pride in making sure we deliver top quality care so it is always great to hear feedback like this! Thanks again, Erin

Upon visiting I was made to feel very welcome by the very friendly staff. Straight away I got a very good feeling about the whole place.
The home is very clean and the activities provided ensure fun is had by all.
The surrounding area is nice and quiet so residents are ensured of peace and quiet at all times.
The Manager and staff were very informative and explained what happens on a daily basis and that there is always adequate staff on at all times to ensure residents receive the best care always.
It’s not often I review places etc but this home deserves a 10/10.
Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin Langley, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 11 Jan 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review, Cheryl. The team at Hollybank work very hard to ensure that our residents receive the very best care so it is always reassuring to receive such positive feedback. Many thanks, Erin.

I am very happy that my mum is now living in such a lovely home. She is obviously very happy and looks very well cared for. I think that the staff who come into contact with mum are very friendly and looking after her well.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin Langley, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 10 Jan 2018:

Thank you very much for your kind review. Your mum has settled in very well at Hollybank. She is keen to join in with activities and also made some good friends already. Thank you for your feedback, it’s always useful to hear how we are doing.

From the minute Mum and I stepped into Hollybank we knew it was a home where she would be happy. It has the most wonderful happy atmosphere, is very clean with a very comfortable homely lounge and dining area. The residents are obviously all very well looked after and look very happy. The activities are varied and interesting and the staff go out of their way to entertain the residents. The food is excellent and home cooked with a lot of variety and is presented in an appealing way. I am so happy that my Mum is now living in Hollybank and I cannot speak highly enough of it. Thank you to all of the staff for your excellent care, it is much appreciated.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin Langley, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 30 Nov 2017:

Thank you, Carol, for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
We are pleased that you are happy with the range of activities on offer. Your mum has certainly got stuck in already, she particularly enjoyed making the Christmas pudding! We have lots more exciting events planned for the next coming weeks. I hope she enjoys those just as much!
I will pass your compliments on to the whole team, it is always useful for us to receive feedback on how we are doing.
Many Thanks
Erin

I searched just about every home in the area.
When I visited Hollybank it stood out as the most suitable by a long margin.
My mum has slightly complex needs that have been met beautifully.
What ever time I visit there are always smiles on the staff's faces and it always smells clean.
They do go the extra mile for their guests.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin O'Shea, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 21 Aug 2017:

Thank you Jane, for your lovely review. Your mum is an absolute pleasure to be around and we are so very pleased that you chose Hollybank as her home. It is really important to us that our residents are happy and well cared for and that their relatives feel at home so it is really comforting reading this knowing that our hard work is paying off. We are always looking at ways to improve our service so your feedback is greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Erin.

Everything was very nice and I enjoyed the company. I live alone and so it was nice to be in company. Everything was perfect. Rooms, beds and food were very good. Staff were good and nothing to complain about. Would love to go back again for longer.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin, Registered Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 28 Jul 2017:

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really enjoyed getting to know you during your visit, although how it flew by! Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot to know that out temporary guests are as happy as our permanent ones. You are welcome to come back at any time. Do pop in and join us for a cup of tea when you're next passing!

It's a lovely home. I came here 4 years ago for a week's respite and decided that it would be the place to come should I need to live somewhere permanently. I have now been here 3 years and have never looked back. I'm so happy here.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you Beryl for your lovely review. We are so very happy that you chose Hollybank as your home. The sense of friendship and family between everyone at Hollybank is important to us so it makes my day to hear that you are so happy with us.

Dad moved into Hollybank Rest home in Christmas 2016. He was 94 and suffered from advanced dementia.

He was extremely tired and withdrawn in his first week. The staff reassured me "we will get your dad into a routine”. Within a few weeks, they succeeded. They built up trust with Dad and he felt happy, safe and special.

The staff were always caring and compassionate. A very proud team, young chefs and the domestic staff all showed great respect and care towards Dad as well as all the other residents.

After Dad's 95th birthday he started to become physically poorly and had difficulties maintaining independence. He now needed a nursing home.

Dad sadly did not get this far. Hollybank provided palliative care for the last weeks of his life. The care provided to him was dedicated and exceptional. I am and will be forever grateful to this home. For someone that had advanced dementia, Dad knew he was in a wonderful home. A special place.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Erin O'Shea, Manager at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 17 Jul 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review Vanessa. Your dad was an absolute gentleman who we were all extremely fond of. We strive to give the best quality of care at Hollybank. The views of our residents and their relatives are so important to us so your kind words are very reassuring to hear. Thanks again.

After visiting a number of care homes in the last few years I came to the conclusion that for my mother (then 95) a small family friendly establishment was the kind of home she would settle into quickly.
Hollybank is such a place. Owner, manager and staff create a living space that brings the best of family life in modern, clean and well-maintained surroundings. Private rooms and lounges are kept tidy throughout the day.
A well-kept garden allows residents and their families to make the most of summer days. The catering staff are amenable and provide good choice menus, however, residents wishes are always considered should they not like what is on offer. Entertainment and activities are well planned, relatives receive monthly updates on events via meetings and emails.
Residents key workers make sure their personal needs are met and dignity is maintained. For the last 30 months, I have been extremely pleased with the care my mother has received at Hollybank.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Glynne Pusey, Director at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 19 Jun 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to give us this valuable feedback.
It is great to hear how people that use our service feel we are performing.
We are always looking for new ways to keep improving and keep our standards high.
It is so important to us all for our residents to feel safe, well cared for and to enjoy every day.
At Hollybank we want to make a difference.
Your comments will be passed on the Staff

I cannot praise Hollybank enough. My grandmother required a rest home and we visited many. Hollybank stood above all others. Upon entering the building, security/safety of the residents/staff was clearly a priority with specialist access and exit systems. It was welcoming, fresh and light walking into the entrance hallway. The staff go that extra mile to answer difficult questions and assist residents. The food is amazing, cooked fresh daily, accounting for residents dietary needs, in the professional kitchen. Live entertainment acts that attend are fabulous and engaging for the residents. She spent nearly 8 years there until recently. I know that she enjoyed Hollybank very much, it was her home, the staff her extended family until she sadly passed. Even then the owners attended her funeral to pay their respects. It is my belief that you will not find a better rest home in the South Hampshire area to care for your elderly loved one. Simply brilliant, well done Hollybank Rest Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Glynne Pusey, Owner at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 12 Jun 2017:

Thank you so much for your feedback it is so important to us.
We really do want to make a difference and provide the best quality of life possible.
As you know we treat all our residents as our extended family.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
I will pass this on to our team.

I can spend my days how I choose to. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Nice homely atmosphere and a pleasant environment to be in. I would definitely recommend Hollybank to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Glynne Pusey, Director at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 28 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your review.
We are very pleased you're happy at Hollybank and feel part of our family.
We are always looking at ways to improve our service. On the Entertainment side we are now offering even more opportunities to get out in the local community!
We have regular trips to the surrounding garden centres to see what we are planting this year, coffee morning at the local church, outings to the shops and are now planning our trip to the seaside!
I hope you take part in our take-out club where we are going to have that yummy Chinese, Indian or the food we say is naughty but nice!

Very caring and attentive. Carers go out of their way to help. Transport to the Doctors, even home when I'm able to go home.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Glynne Pusey, Director at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 18 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your review, It's great you have enjoyed your time with us.
Should you require any respite in the future we would love to welcome you back.

Very caring, helping getting wife out of hospital (broken hip) into here and looked after us very well. Taken me to the Doctors, chiropractor. Home to check.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
Glad we could be of assistance.
If we can do anything to help in the future please just give us a call.

Very happy place. Always someone to talk to. The food is good, plenty of variety and choice. The rooms are very comfortable and cleaned to a high standard. Staff are all friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Glynne Pusey, Director at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 31 Jan 2016:

Thank you for your review.
It is lovely to hear you are happy with our service.
We really do want you to enjoy being at Hollybank and we will continue to try and provide you with the best service we can.
Please do let us know if you feel we can improve anything in the future.

This is by far one of the best care homes in the area in my opinion my nan was there for a total of sixteen months before she sadly passed away - the staff are amazing - Angels without wings - my nan was so well looked after, fed well with lots of choice, she was very happy there and spoke highly of everyone involved in her care - the levels of professionalism as well as empathy, care and high standards across the board were second to none - I'm really glad as a family we chose Hollybank.

How likely would you be to recommend Hollybank Rest Home? Extremely Likely

Glynne Pusey, Director at Hollybank Rest Home responded to this review on 17 Nov 2015:

Thank you so much for your kind words.
We try to provide the best service we can, your feedback is so important.
We strive to find new ways to keep improving and make sure our clients always come first.
Caring is a passion and passion can’t be taught, our team is handpicked to make sure our clients are treated with the dignity and respect they deserve.
We use the MUM test as suggested by CQC, is this how you would like your mum to be cared for!

Submit a Review for Hollybank Rest Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Hollybank Rest Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hollybank Rest Home