St Josephs

Aylesbury Road, Tring HP23 4DH

Purpose built in 1993, St Josephs is found in the idyllic country town of Tring in Hertfordshire, providing care for those needs that arise from both old age and dementia.

An already established care home, St Josephs was one of the original care homes to identify the need for specialised, specific environments, built to cater for the needs of residents experiencing a dementia. It was with this in mind that the purpose built, single storey, courtyard style area was created.

The specialist dementia environment at St Josephs has been awarded dementia accreditation from Hertfordshire County Council for the last three years.

There is a choice of single or companion en suite bedrooms, all of which may be personalised.

St Josephs offers a choice of lounges and dining areas, a private family lounge/reading room and a garden conservatory. The beautifully landscaped, private gardens at St Josephs offer a safe environment, with easy access pathways for outdoor activities.

St Josephs offers long term residential care and short stay respite breaks for older people. The home specialises in the care of older people with dementia related needs and benefits from a safe and secure dementia environment.

The home's Activities Organiser arranges a varied social calendar of meaningful, appropriate activities and entertainment, including trips to places of interest.

Group: B&M Care Ltd

Person in charge: Emma Pead (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hertfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 48 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £850 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact St Josephs to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St Josephs: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for St Josephs is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Josephs in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.558 for St Josephs is calculated as follows: ( (141 Excellents x 5) + (81 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 233 Ratings = 4.558

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Josephs is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.6 positive Reviews (48 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 9.6 Target Reached = 1

9.6 St Josephs has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.558) from 21 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Josephs?

Reviewer Connection to St Josephs

• Volunteer

It is now one year since mum became a resident and I am extremely grateful to St Josephs for being able to relax knowing mum is being taken good care of. Despite some trying circumstances, the staff remain calm and approachable. There is a relaxed atmosphere with relatives always welcome and involved in activities if wanted. There is a very good activities programme and residents are encouraged to join in. Relatives are helped to deal with difficulties relating to their relative and I have found nothing but professionalism in a relaxed atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

I have been so very pleased, so many times, that we chose St Joe's for our wonderful Mum's dementia care. The team are so very caring, taking a truly personal interest in the individual - whether that relates to personal care or to making sure the person takes part in a particular activity that the team knows they will enjoy. The way Mum looks at some carers in particular makes it very clear how she is feeling, and this is a direct result of the efforts of the care and entertainments teams.When things need checking up, or changing, the team are very responsive - and the reality is that there will be things that need adjusting- perfection does not exist. For me, it's about the way the team correct things that is important.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

Staff always happy and smiling and my mum is too.

I am welcomed any time of the day or night and always welcomed with a friendly face on reception.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at St Joseph's for about 18 months now and we are very happy with the way that she has settled in and the way that she is treated. The staff are very kind, patient and always have smiles on their faces even though they work under difficult circumstances. I am so pleased that we chose this care home over any other one. I would highly recommend it.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My Dad is so well cared for at St Joseph's, I absolutely cannot fault it. The management and staff are amazing and are always on hand to talk about any concerns or questions. They go above and beyond to make the relatives feel reassured and the residents feel happy, safe and secure.

Every member of staff is friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. My Dad is extremely happy and content and enjoys the company and sense of humour of staff and fellow residents. He thinks he's living in a hotel! He's put on weight since he moved in as he loves the food, is always well presented and the home is kept immaculate.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

Since arriving in June, my father has settled in so well at St Joseph's.
The staff are fantastic, caring, respectful and very supportive both to residents, family and friends.
The home is impeccably clean, well organised and the residents' happiness and well-being a top priority.
Could not wish for more.
I feel confident that my father is receiving the best possible care, and is very happy here.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My children and I have been visiting St. Josephs since Spring 2017 as part of the new playgroup in the care home. We've really enjoyed getting to know some of the residents and the older adults seem to really enjoy seeing the children too. They've already seen the babies grow into toddlers and witness their first steps and first words.

We look forward to strengthening this bond as our relationships grow.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

I am a serving police officer and spent a morning with the residents and a retired police colleague to share our police local stories.
We had an extremely enjoyable day, the residents were all very pleased to see us. I was very impressed with the Activity Organiser and her staff who were all very enthusiastic and showed a great knowledge and understanding of each resident and their own particular needs.
A very clean and welcoming home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My son and I visit St Josephs' as part of a playgroup. The staff are always welcoming and we've really enjoyed the sessions, it's also lovely to see the residents enjoy the group as much as the little ones.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My mother has now lived at St Josephs' for nearly 4 years and during that time I have been extremely satisfied with the care she receives. The staff are invariably kind and patient. My mother always looks well presented with it being clear that staff support residents to maintain good standards of personal hygiene and appearance. Staff also seem respectful and mindful of my mother's personal characteristics, knowing her likes and dislikes. Staff appear cheerful and make time to chat to residents.

I am always kept informed of any incidents of ill health that my mother might have or any changes in her health or well-being. I am always made to feel welcome when visiting and never feel it is a problem to talk to staff about any matters relating to my mother.

Activities are offered to residents and it has been really heartening to hear of the outings and entertainment that have been arranged.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My Mother in law has been at the home for more than 6 years and she is very happy there. The staff are all very friendly and professional and we are always greeted with a smile. She enjoys the activities she chooses to join in with but also enjoys sitting in her room knitting. Any problems we have had have been discussed and resolved quickly.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My aunt was a resident for 4 and a half years. I was particularly impressed with the level of care she received during the last months of her life in the dementia wing, and certainly, when receiving palliative care, the level of kindness shown towards her by a number of staff was very touching.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

I can see that my Mother is comfortable and happy living at St Josephs it is a home rather than an institution and the daily routine is fitted around the residents. Despite being completely deaf, my Mother is encouraged to take part in a large number of activities going on and is happy to decide whether to participate. There are often photos of her doing activities, or staff will let me know - great, as it is likely she will have forgotten by the time I visit.
I always feel very welcomed, and know that it is ok to drop in whenever I fancy - very reassuring and wasn't true of some other homes I considered. My husband and I feel very much part of the St Josephs family.
I'm impressed with how the staff look after my Mother, and how they handle some of the more difficult elements of that role. When my Mother has had health problems, they have always responded quickly and also then made sure that I am kept up to date.
I know that my Mother is well looked after and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

St Josephs is a lovely environment full of extremely lovely staff. It is clean and very presentable. Lovely atmosphere. The residents are treated with high levels of respect and they always seem very happy when I go in!

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My mum had excellent care from a hard working and friendly team of workers.You felt like one of the family. Whenever I visited, my mother was in the lounge enjoying the activities and interacting as far as she was physically and mentally able.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

What a lovely home. Felt like it was my mum's front room, warm and welcoming. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the residents looked happy. At the moment it's in my top three. Really would give a ten out of ten for overall home from home experience.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

Since the activities coordinator started at St Josephs, I feel she really works hard with the residents, she does a lot of fundraising etc. I feel more at ease that she bonds with mum really well. She also keeps me up to date with mum a lot. She is a godsend at St Josephs.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

The activities leader at St Joseph's is the best I have seen in years. She is never done with fundraising for outings and nothing is too much trouble for her. The residents love spending time with her on their trips out to the beach, coffee, garden centres, out in wheelchairs just for some fresh air, to name just a small part of the daily activities she has lined up for them.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Extremely Likely

My husband seems happy and well cared for, although he cannot speak much to say so.
I appreciate the patience and professionalism of the carers, nothing seems to be too much trouble, although they work long hours. I and my family all appreciate the welcome we are given as visitors.
I particularly value the valiant efforts made by the activities organiser to try to stimulate the interests of very challenging residents.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Likely

On Saturday the 2nd of July, I visited a friend around 4.30pm. As I walked along the corridor, before the lounge, I noticed an elderly lady, sitting on the toilet, the door wide open, and in full view; of any visitor calling;
Not only was I shocked, but also aware of the lady's distress and loss of her dignity! It really should never happen! On chatting with my friend, I relaid what I had seen, and she said that is happened very often. I suggested she should approach management but was hesitant is doing so, as the home appears to be short staffed.
I do not agree, and decided to inform you of this event, it is surely never acceptable that this is allowed to happen.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Overall the home is a caring and safe environment for my mother. However, items such as glasses and even dentures have gone missing. I rarely buy new clothing for my mother as it gets lost very quickly, despite being named with sewing name tags. The residents spend most of the day sitting down and only move at meal times. A light exercise programme of say half an hour per day would be a good idea, especially for my mother who is partially sighted.

How likely would you be to recommend St Josephs? Likely

Emma Pead, Manager at St Josephs responded to this review on 01 Jul 2016:

A meeting has been held with the family re the concerns that have been brought up, and the family are happy with the actions the home has taken.

Submit a Review for St Josephs

Emma

Emma Pead

Job Title: Manager

Joined: 2005

Emma was recruited as a B&M manager in 2005 for St Matthews Care Home in Redbourn she transferred to St Josephs as Manager in May 2015 she has many years experience in the care industry. She has an NVQ 3 and Registered Managers Award (RMA). She has also completed the 'Leadership Matters in Person Centered Dementia Care' programme in conjunction with Dementia Care Matters and the Alzheimer's Society, accredited by Surrey University.
also has just done the Virtual dementia tour.

Sharon

Sharon Caple

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2000

Sharon has worked with B&M Care since 2000 and has a lot of experience working within the care industry. She was promoted to Deputy Manager from Team Leader at St Josephs in 2013. Sharon has completed her NVQ2 and NVQ3, and has the 'Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow' award through the Alzheimer’s Society. She is has completed her PTLLS course (Preparing to Teach through the Lifelong Learning Sector) so she will be able to deliver staff training at St Josephs.
Sharon has completed the Virtual Dementia tour, and is now currently doing her QCF Level 5.

Charley

Charley Mjekiqi

Job Title: Engagement Lead

Joined: 2015

Charley joined St Josephs in August 2015 and has worked within the care sector since leaving school, starting as a care assistant and Deputy Home Manager. Charley has lots of experience with working with the elderly and those that live with a dementia. She has completed her Engagement Champion course level 3 and has completed an Armchair Exercise course. Charley takes responsibility for organising a varied calendar of events and a engaging activities for the residents. also Charley has done the Virtual Dementia tour.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Josephs