Tusker House

57 Pine Avenue, Hastings TN34 3PP

Tusker House Independent Dementia Care Home is family run, offering a warm, friendly, relaxed atmosphere with a high degree of person centred care.

Situated in an excellent, quiet residential area about a mile from the town centre, the home stands in pleasant grounds with car parking space with access to our all weather glass ballustraded garden.

Loved ones are welcome to pop in at any time and the website offers additional information.

Owner: Mrs P Woolgar

Person in charge: Paula Woolgar (Proprietor)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 72 Service Users

Admission Information: Pre Assessment. Ages 65+.

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £750 , Personal Care Shared (per person) from £750 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Tusker House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Residents' families and friends are free to call at any reasonable time.
If wishing to view Tusker House for a loved one, please make an appointment with one of the senior management team to discuss individual needs.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Tusker House: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Tusker House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 13 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Tusker House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.699 for Tusker House is calculated as follows: ( (114 Excellents x 5) + (37 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 156 Ratings = 4.699

The 4.625 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Tusker House is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.4 positive Reviews (72 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 14.4 Target = 0.625

9.3 Tusker House has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.324) from 13 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Tusker House?

Reviewer Connection to Tusker House

Mum is getting excellent care and I am really pleased. She is clean and tidy all the time. She's always happy and smiling.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Extremely Likely

Tusker House Hastings, Manager at Tusker House responded to this review on 20 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your response. It is gratifying to know you are so happy with Mum`s care at Tusker House.

It was a very difficult decision to move Mum into a care home following the sudden death of Dad in November 2016, but we have not regretted the decision to choose Tusker House for one second.
From the first meeting with the Care Manager, (where we were told it is the residents' home and the staff work here), to date, we have always felt that Mum’s best interest is at the centre of her care at Tusker House.
All the management/care staff are amazing and their ability to deal with each of the residents in a caring, loving and professional way, while treating them as the individuals they are, is inspiring to see and a testament to the training and ethos of the home.
Mum loves the fact she can laugh and joke with the staff, who get her humour and joke back with her, bringing a big grin to her face.
We are always kept informed concerning Mum’s care and greatly appreciate the peace of mind we have knowing she is being looked after so well by everyone at Tusker House.

Paula Woolgar, Manager at Tusker House responded to this review on 03 Apr 2018:

Thank you, Lesley, for your touching review. It reinforces the faith we have in our team. It means a lot to the Staff that consider their role as much more than a job and more of a calling. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Our sister, suffering from dementia, has been a resident at Tusker House since January 2015 when she was in very poor health.
Since then with the proper management of her medication and the love and care given to her by the professional management and staff of Tusker House her health has improved.
We know she is happy and well looked after and we are very grateful to Tusker House.

Paula Woolgar, Manager at Tusker House responded to this review on 27 Mar 2018:

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we will pass your thoughts on to our dedicated staff.

Tusker House has changed my father's life and mine also. From the moment he arrived from his previous care home he became relaxed, content and generally looked and felt better. After he had been there a few weeks I realised the care was so superior and I began to stop feeling anxious and worried about Dad. I would pop in at any time of the day and he always had people around him, activities going on which he was encouraged to be part of and enjoyed and looked smart, clean and smiley. I would spend time in the living area where many staff were interacting with the residents and always at hand for their needs. They were gentle and full of respect and told lovely stories about the residents.
I can’t speak highly enough about the staff at Tusker House and the life my father now leads. This also means I can go away without worrying and feeling guilty. Dad is happy and well cared for at all times.
Thank you, everyone, who takes care of Dad, fantastic job.

Paula Woolgar, Manager at Tusker House responded to this review on 20 Mar 2018:

Thank you, Lynne, for your recent feedback. We are so very pleased that your father's move to Tusker House has been such a positive and rewarding one. Our staff quite rightly deserve your praise and are a credit to the home.

Tusker is managed and staffed by real people who really care about my Mum and all the residents. I go in most days at varied times, anytime between breakfast being served or supper and I'm never made to feel in the way or that I shouldn't be there - I'm always welcomed and this is important as time with Mum is precious.
She's always happy and clean, her room is always tidy, clean and her clothes nicely hung in the wardrobe or away in drawers. The activities are endless and a timetable of what's on can be found on the noticeboard and I am always included (and am happy to be) whether it's dance and movement, glueing and decorating pictures, puzzles, bingo or any one of the other countless options. Mum's health and well-being are paramount to me and in my experience to the staff also.
When the weather is fine, a good selection of outings are available and if I'm free I can tag along, giving me more treasured memories, of Mum happy and for the two of us, a bit of normality.

Paula Woolgar, Manager at Tusker House responded to this review on 19 Mar 2018:

Thank you, Louise, for your kind feedback, our staff work tirelessly to ensure the happiness and well-being of our residents whilst we support them in their home. It is so important that their efforts are acknowledged when so often it is taken for granted.

My mother entered Tusker House over 4 years ago after a torrid few years of deterioration and emergency hospital admission.
Her quality of life now has been transformed and not a day goes past without her family being grateful that she is where she is.
We chose a specialist dementia placement and never regretted it. Staff are the key to my mum’s happiness. They understand her humour, encourage her love of music and due to the low turnover of personnel, ensure she has consistent, familiar support.
My mother can be very challenging and this has been met with patience and compassion. Mum is described as “part of the family” at Tusker House. She says she is very lucky and we agree.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Extremely Likely

Very welcoming, professional and considerate. There was some difficult conversations to be had regarding Do Not Attempt Resuscitation which was due with care and consideration at all times. Very rewarding meeting.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Likely

We selected Tusker House for my mother in 2015 as her dementia meant she could no longer live independently. Tusker House stood out from all the others we looked at, particularly the friendliness of the staff and the lovely bedroom.
We have not been disappointed. Everyone there has displayed a caring and professional approach. Staff turnover is also very low so the staff have developed excellent relationships with my mother and understand her needs very well.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Extremely Likely

Tusker House suits my mother well. Staff are attentive to her needs. Food and accommodation are both group and management efficiency. Good retention of staff is a major feature of the strength Tusker House.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Extremely Likely

Debbie Bowles, Office Manager at Tusker House responded to this review on 28 Jul 2017:

Many thanks for your feedback.

My sister has been a resident in Tusker House for nearly two years and in all that time has been very well looked after. The staff are always pleasant, caring and efficient. The building is always clean and tidy and my sister's room is well appointed and comfortable and has a nice view from the window. Meals are freshly prepared and the diet varied.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Extremely Likely

Good clean home with plentiful caring staff, most of whom have served long periods, some over 14 years. All staff are courteous and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Extremely Likely

My decision to move my father into residential care was difficult but I found the manager and staff to be very supportive, reassuring and welcoming to myself and my father. The manager travelled an 80-mile round trip to assess my father and I felt immediately that she was very experienced in dementia care and understood my father's needs. Although he has taken a while to settle at Tusker House he is thriving, having put on weight, eating and sleeping well and is well cared for and looked after. The staff have kept me informed of any changes and developments and I feel very re-assured that my father is in safe and capable hands. The staff clearly value, respect and love the residents and it is a very happy and relaxed atmosphere in the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Tusker House? Extremely Likely

I am happy to recommend Tusker House. My mother came to stay for respite as she was not managing at home. She settled in very well and did not want to go back home, so she now lives there permanently. The staff made what I thought was going to be a difficult time, easy. Mum is very happy and has made friends. She enjoys the activities and outings. She has been well looked after.

Submit a Review for Tusker House

posted 25 Apr 2018

1 large ground floor room with en-Suite level access shower wet room, 1 large first floor room withe en-Suite shower wet room,3 single rooms with en-suite wc.

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Tusker House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Tusker House