Summerhill Residential Home

46 Glenwood Road, West Moors, Ferndown BH22 0ER

Summerhill Residential Home, Ferndown, Dorset

Summerhill is a Residential Care Home for 15 older people situated in a quiet leafy residential road in West Moors. The care home provides comfort and care to residents in a friendly atmosphere and a warm, informal setting - the care team are chosen for their kindness and understanding of caring for the elderly.

The Manager, Kirsty Hayward, and the care team make sure that residents feel valued and cared for as individuals. The service takes the time to really get to know residents and develop a personalised care plan that reflects what is important them, their needs, preferences and choices.

Group: Crosscrown Ltd

Person in charge: Kirsty Hayward (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dorset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 15 Service Users

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £745 – £800 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Summerhill Residential Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.) (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Summerhill Residential Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Summerhill Residential Home: click here

9.8 Summerhill Residential Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.804)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Summerhill Residential Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 9 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Summerhill Residential Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.804 for Summerhill Residential Home is calculated as follows: ( (87 Excellents x 5) + (19 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 107 Ratings = 4.804

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Summerhill Residential Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 3 positive Reviews (15 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 3 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Summerhill Residential Home?

Reviewer Connection to Summerhill Residential Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

My mother was a resident at Summerhill for the last 18 months of her life and now my aunt is a resident there. I have always been enormously impressed by the humanity of Summerhill and its "family feel". It was very reassuring to know that my mother was being so well looked after and was so happy at Summerhill in spite of all the tribulations of old age - and now I can say the same regarding my aunt.

In particular, the home is run with great imagination and humour. A great deal is done to keep the residents stimulated and as active as possible in mind, body and soul. All the staff I have met have been very caring and cheerful, with a very human approach to the residents. The food is excellent - real home cooking! I never heard any kind of complaint about Summerhill from my mother, nor have I from my aunt. I can recommend Summerhill wholeheartedly!

How likely would you be to recommend Summerhill Residential Home? Extremely Likely

The personalised care and the kindness of staff make this a safe and happy "home" for residents.

There is a good range of activities for residents to join in. Mum especially enjoys the visiting musicians and singers.

As a relative, I always feel welcome and am offered a cuppa and chair as soon as I arrive.

Thank you to the Summerhill team.

My mother was reluctant to go into a home, but when it became necessary for her to do so we looked at various homes. Summerhill Residential Home was definitely the best, most welcoming one. Mum has settled in very well and is exceedingly well looked after. The staff are very caring and it is a very happy place to be.

My Mother spent the last 18 months of her life at Summerhill Home and now my Aunt is also a resident. My Mother was very happy and comfortable with the excellent care that she received at Summerhill. She passed away comfortably with myself and caring staff at her bedside. As a result, it was natural that, when my Aunt needed to enter residential aged care, Summerhill was our choice. She is very happy and comfortable there and receives excellent care. I would have no hesitation in recommending Summerhill Care Home as a very friendly and excellent source of residential aged care. Thank you to the Manager and all the staff.

It was my very good fortune that Summerhill Residential Home had a room free when my mother needed full-time care in 2013. She spent her last 18 months very happily there, being looked after by the wonderful staff. My aunt (mum's sister) now lives at Summerhill. She said she never ever wanted to go into a home....she went in for a short respite stay and never left!
The manager really cares for her residents, almost as if they were family. Her choice of staff is amazing, all the nicest and most caring of girls.
As visitors, we are made most welcome and we're always able to stay as long as we like. There's always a cup of coffee, tea or even a meal available. The food is delicious and there's always a choice. The afternoon activities are varied and great fun.
I know my aunt would agree that the care she receives is 5 star and, living in Scotland, I can rest assured that she is happy and in very safe hands.

I cannot praise everyone at Summerhill enough. We had looked at several local care homes for my father when his dementia meant he could no longer live independently. He was unhappy in the first home we found but as soon as we walked into Summerhill the atmosphere was completely different from the other homes. It has a real family home feel, clean and nicely decorated and the staff and friendly and so lovely to my Dad. They have got the balance between professional care and a relaxed home from home feel just right. They have made my Dad feel nothing is too much trouble and he is more positive than he has been for a long time.

It's fantastic!!!!!
My father is 91 and suffering from dementia and has been at Summerhill since November 2016.
As a family we love the friendly staff, warm welcome and very homely feel - this is definitely like your own home and does not have any 'institutional' feeling. The staff are always pleased to accommodate any requests we have and nothing is too much trouble - you really feel that the Manager and all the staff enjoy working here because of the professional but relaxed atmosphere.
But.... that's not the best of it - the best thing is that my Dad really loves Summerhill too. He is happy and relaxed. Loves the food. Finds the staff professional but approachable and kind. Dad has always retained his sense of humour and Summerhill have certainly helped him to do this. When you come through the front door you are normally met by laughter. We definitely, feel this is the best medicine!!!!!
We definitely feel we have found the perfect place for dad to live.

My father had a stroke in December and after a few weeks in hospital we had to find him a residential care house. This was our first time having to find a home for a parent, and a very hard decision to make. We looked at quite a few homes in this area, some we liked and others we were not so sure of, but as soon as we walked into Summerhill Residential Home we were sure we had found a place we would be happy leaving Dad in. The atmosphere was quiet and calm, the staff on duty that morning, could not have been more helpful, and we dropped in on them with only ten minute notice on the day after Boxing day.
Since dad has been here he has recovered so much better from his stroke than we were told he would ever do, and we cant thank the staff, enough for the help they have given him, to gain some independence and more important some dignity back.
We consider ourselves very lucky to have found such a good home for dad, he seems very happy here and we can relax knowing he is in such good hands.

Mum has been at Summerhill for over a year now and her care has been excellent. We chose this home as it is just like a family home. The staff pay great personal attention to the residents individual needs. Nothing is too much trouble.
The manager will go out of her way to facilitate events for individual residents. This enabled my mother to attend her granddaughter's wedding with a staff member with her at all times.
Another resident interested in song and dance was escorted to a tea dance.
There is a warm and friendly atmosphere constantly with all (staffs, residents and visitors) being treated like one big family. Visitors are encouraged to join in with all activities.
We had a wonderful Christmas Day with Mum, staff and residents.

Submit a Review for Summerhill Residential Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Summerhill Residential Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Summerhill Residential Home