Sunhill Court

Mill Lane, High Salvington, Worthing BN13 3DF

Sunhill Court, Worthing, West Sussex

Sunhill Court Nursing Home is situated on a hill overlooking the Findon Valley, one of the most beautiful parts of the South Downs.

The home has a highly skilled team, led by an experienced manager, who are on hand to help with anything and everything.

All rooms are fully appointed and sensitively designed to meet the residents' needs. Each room contains a WC and sink, while over half include a wet room, high/low profile bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside cupboard, an easy access chair as well as a small table. Residents are encouraged to create a home-from-home with the addition of their own personal belongings.

Each room is equipped with telephone points and a television aerial socket and lower ground floor rooms benefit from doors leading onto the garden. To ensure a high level of responsiveness from staff, each room is also connected to the call bell system.

The garden has been designed to stimulate the senses, with year-round interest. A combination of extensive pathways and seated areas to enjoy the view makes it a much-loved area of the home. It is wheelchair accessible and safe for residents to wander whilst accompanied by staff or their family.

We hold regular staff meeting and resident's relatives meetings so that everyone can be involved in the running of the home.

Delicious and nutritious meals are cooked daily using fresh ingredients and a variety of diets can be catered for. Family members are welcome to stay for meals with their loved ones.

Group: Kenjaro Care

Person in charge: Mandy Peen (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Bulgarian, Spanish; Castilian, Polish, Romanian

Weekly Charges Guide: Nursing Care Single £800 – £1025

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Visitors are welcome at anytime

There is parking onsite for visitors

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Sunhill Court: click here

posted 27 Feb 2017

1 En suite room with wet room looking out onto our beautiful garden. for private residents

9.3 Sunhill Court has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.279)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Sunhill Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Sunhill Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.279 for Sunhill Court is calculated as follows: ( (66 Excellents x 5) + (46 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) + (5 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 129 Ratings = 4.279

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Sunhill Court is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Sunhill Court?

Reviewer Connection to Sunhill Court

My family was nervous about Dad being moved from hospital into a nursing home, and I feel we gave the management team at Sunhill a hard time with our constant queries, checks and frequent visits - yet the staff were never too busy to take the time to reassure us and to respond to our concerns - however, unjustified and trivial (with hindsight) they may have seemed to them at the time. Sadly, Dad was already very poorly when he was transferred to Sunhill, and he passed away just three weeks later, but during that time Mum and I visited him regularly, and usually gave him his lunch, which always looked delicious and which Dad always enjoyed. Dad had a beautiful ground floor room - with his own tv (which he had missed during his previous five-month stay in hospital), french windows, and a fabulous view over the gardens to Cissbury Ring. The carers were wonderful. Always smiling and gentle and respectful in their treatment of Dad - who was always very old-fashioned about these things.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Likely

I am delighted with Sunhill Court the staff and matron are delightful and always seem happy and never flustered. My husband now needs lots of care and he gets 100%. My only concern is that we are not always kept in touch e.g. if anything goes missing i.e. slippers, glasses, CDs. I don't know unless I go to his room. The place is always very clean and bright. It was a good choice and not far from me. I can see the home from my own property!

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Extremely Likely

The staff at Sunhill Court were extremely caring and attentive towards my mother during her final few weeks of life. The home itself is located in a beautiful setting and the Manager and staff do all that they can to ensure that it really is a home. From daily activities and entertainment to delicious meals, alongside compassionate nursing and personal care, the service provided is second to none. In Mum's final days, every staff member went out of their way to make sure that she was as comfortable as possible and were supportive and understanding to me and my siblings.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Likely

After battling with severe stroke damage for many years mum was then diagnosed with dementia. To watch this agonising condition slowly take my mum piece by piece again was the most difficult thing I have ever witnessed. Our only realistic option was to place mum into residential care. After a previous establishment failed her I was so grateful to find Sunhill Court nursing home. The manager and her team were so very kind and helpful throughout mums stay. Mum had a Lovely clean room with beautiful downland views,I know that she was kept clean and dignified and offered good food and experienced care every day. The home has good facilities and the staff are always attentive and patient with the residents. Thank you for making mum's last months a comfortable time.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Extremely Likely

My mother had Alzheimer's Disease and had reached the stage where she needed round the clock and complete care. She was with Sunhill for five years and in that time she was always kept clean, tidy and comfortable. Her room had a beautiful view and was of a good size with a shared wet room with one other resident. I always found the staff to be pleasant and attentive. There was always a nice atmosphere to the home and not too big so I felt reassured that mum would get the attention she needed.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Likely

My father was diagnosed with dementia in later life and went to live at Sunhill Court Nursing Home.

The management and staff were always approachable, friendly and knowledgeable about my father's condition.

The personal care, given to my father, was a 10/10. When visiting, he was always clean and tidy, this was also the same for his room and communal areas.

Every year Sunhill had a summer garden party and group activities weekly; these stimulated him and kept his spirits high.

My father always had a good appetite and that never changed when he moved to Sunhill. He enjoyed a balanced diet and was always given plenty of tea and soft drinks to keep him hydrated.

I was always kept informed of my father's condition throughout his stay.

A big thank you to the team at Sunhill Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Extremely Likely

Thank you very much for all the love and care, they are a good crowd.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Likely

When my Mother arrived at Sunhill Court in March she was very frail, undernourished and confused. As a direct result of the care she has received, there she is now thriving and engaging in everyday activities again, something which didn't happen at her home. I feel that the staff have given me my Mum back and I can't thank them enough for that.

All the staff, whether they be directors, managers, nurses, carers, cooks or cleaners are so caring and respectful to the individual. Some of the staff are from Europe and although English is not their first language, this is not a barrier to communication and they always have a welcoming smile. The conservatory where most of the residents spend their day is light, bright and well furnished with lovely views, the bedrooms are a good size. A lot of effort is put into seeing that there are activities for the residents to participate in should they want to.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Extremely Likely

Yasheen Rajan, Director at Sunhill Court responded to this review on 31 Oct 2016:

Many thanks for your kind words.
From the team at Sunhill Court

My father was at Sunhill Court for over 3 years and during the whole of his stay the care received was second to none. I cannot speak too highly of the directors, managers, nursing staff, care staff, catering staff and cleaners. Many from Eastern Europe who were all a delight and provided wonderful care alongside their British colleagues. On entering the home you always receive a warm welcome from staff on duty. The home always smells fresh which is due to the care staff and cleaners and the resident's common rooms are kept really nice. Where possible the residents are brought together in a common area where suitable activities take place. These also include visiting musicians and a variety of shows. Sadly my father passed away on the 7th October 2016 and I have to say how grateful to the nursing and care staff who not only looked after my father so well in him last hours but also looked after me and my husband. Sunhill Court thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Extremely Likely

A large conservatory for residents, but it gets so very hot, with an extremely inadequate air conditioning for size. The ratio of staff to patients is nowhere near enough as many need help and encouragement to eat. The language barrier is the most difficult, I as a much younger person find it hard to understand the carers, my relative is hard of hearing and often says the wrong answer when asked a question, a visual menu would be a good then person could point to the picture.
The TV's are on but cannot be seen due to huge conservatory windows, blinds are put down but not enough. The bedrooms are worn, and rooms are so small that they cannot have a bedside table next to the bed, meaning the resident cannot manage to have a drink on their own in the night, leave a book or magazine next to them to when they wake up in the morning. I have still found my mum in bed at 11 and did not have access to the buzzer to ring for help, she was distraught.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunhill Court? Unlikely

Management: Very Poor

Rooms: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Yasheen Rajan, Owner at Sunhill Court responded to this review on 05 Oct 2016:

I was disappointed to read your review. But at the same time, it is really helpful we understand concerns so we can act on them and improve the home. I have provided some responses below and would welcome the chance to discuss these issues with you.

1. I did feel the conservatory was hot on occasion. As a result, we did replace the air conditioning unit during the summer and the conservatory is now kept at a specific temperature depending on resident preferences, but we always ensure it doesn't overheat. Please let us know if you feel otherwise.
2. In terms of staffing ratios, this is obviously a large problem for care homes in general, although I do believe we are adequately staffed. We have 10 care staff on duty and a further 2 at lunchtime. This is far higher than any other care home I am aware of. We are limited by the number of staff we can put on a shift by the fees we receive to fund care, but we are trying to make sure that the staff we do have are very good and strongly supported by the management and owner.
3. Like most nursing care homes, we struggle to recruit locally and so we do employ a number of non-UK workers. We now have a strong policy with any new candidates that: English must be of a very high standard. In addition, the Home pays for English lessons twice a week for the care staff. Our care staff work really hard, and whilst in an ideal world, all our staff would be native English speakers, we need to work as best we can given the reality of the environment. But I shall redouble efforts to make sure the few whose English is intermediate is improved further.
4. I do actually believe our rooms are of a decent size. Many are at the higher end of what is normal for a care home. I am sure we can either create or fashion something so your mother can rest a book or drink near her bed and I will look into this immediately.
5. I have investigated this and would welcome the chance to discuss it with you as your mother is always one of the first up and in the conservatory.

Many thanks again for providing feedback.

This home is well maintained with ongoing care and maintenance from a permanent employee and contractors as required. It is brightly decorated with a mixture of wallpaper and painted walls as appropriate.
It is clean and bright with a lounge overlooking the whole of the Findon valley and extending to a distant glimpse of the sea.
There is a car park for a dozen or so cars which is approached by an unmade road which is under revue for resurfacing.
Staff are well trained, polite and appear to be appropriate in number.
Food is well cooked and more than adequate although not always entirely suitable to residents abilities to consume them. Due to the numbers requiring assistance with feeding it is not always possible to provide adequate supervision at meal times.

yasheen rajan, Owner at Sunhill Court responded to this review on 05 Oct 2016:

Thank you for your review and I am glad you feel that we provide good care and a good home for your wife.

Hopefully, work will start on the road surface soon!

I do note you comments regarding food and its suitability to different residents. I shall speak to the Chef in particular about your wife to understand if there are improvements we can make here.

As you point out, a number of our residents do need one-one feeding. In order to ensure we provide adequate supervision, the manager and other staff members including the nurse do assist at lunchtimes. I will continue to monitor this closely.

Many thanks again

Yasheen Rajan

Submit a Review for Sunhill Court

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Sunhill Court

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Sunhill Court