Whittington Care Home

40 Holland Road, Old Whittington, Chesterfield S41 9HF

Whittington Care Centre, in Chesterfield, is suitable for many nursing needs and residential care packages, while being advanced enough to provide care solutions for people with a form of dementia.

The service supports the UK National Dementia Strategy and carers are passionate about doing all they can to help individuals protect their life skills.

One-to-one sessions have shown to be effective where practised efficiently throughout the care sector, for which carers are well-trained and experienced.

Group: Four Seasons Health Care

Person in charge: Wendy Johnson (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Derbyshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 48 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Filipino, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Whittington Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Whittington Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Whittington Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.344 for Whittington Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (100 Excellents x 5) + (68 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) + (2 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 192 Ratings = 4.344

The 4.938 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Whittington Care Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.6 positive Reviews (48 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 9.6 Target = 0.938

9.3 Whittington Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.282) from 16 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Whittington Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Whittington Care Home

The family always feel guilty when a member of the family has to go into care but my Aunty enjoyed joining in all the social activities, especially a sing-song. The love and attention shown to her by all the staff was outstanding. I could visit at any time of day and night and she was always happy. Later on, when she needed bed care, she was treated exceptionally well. The staff became her family (especially the males). She loved them and they all loved her.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Marketing at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 20 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your comments about your recent experience at Whittington Care Home. Our residents’ wellbeing is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. We always appreciate individuals taking the time to give their feedback and we are very pleased to hear that your experience was so positive. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised.

Overall very good, the staff are amazing. I think the food could be improved on and this is the one thing my mum complains about the most. The activities are another area which I think could be improved on. I was told the residents frequently went out for meals but to my knowledge my mum as only been out once to the coast which she loved.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 07 Mar 2018:

Thank you for sharing your experience of Whittington Care Home. We are pleased to hear that your overall experience has been so positive. We always appreciate feedback and take comments seriously. Please reach out to us on your next visit to discuss any issues and concerns with us. We are always happy to help and always look at areas to improve. We look forward to your next visit. Take care.

In December my partner fell ill, the nurse rang 111 whilst waiting for a doctor. He deteriorated so 999 was called and he was taken to hospital. Thanks to her prompt action he was back home after 3 days. Two weeks later the same nurse checked my partner, once again with her professional approach, quick thinking and understanding of the situation he was given the required treatment and medication and did not need to go to hospital.
This reflects the quality of care the home provides. A big thank you to all the staff who contribute to the running of this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 23 Jan 2018:

Staff can only work with what they've got.
Understaffed, not enough carers.
A lot of food inappropriate ie. turkey curry when residents got sickness and diarrhoea.
Mum's been in 2 years always had to buy her cereals for breakfast, jam for tea, Actimels, now on pureed food and having to buy yoghurts!
Managers attitude towards staff is poor - that's why staff keep leaving. In 2 years the place has gone downhill.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 05 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your views. All of the staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and we are disappointed to hear that you feel this has not happened in your case. We appreciate all of your comments and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please reach out to us at the home to arrange a meeting. Thank you once again.

My mother lived at this facility for nearly three years. I found the staff treated my mother with dignity and respect and used her full first name rather than shortening it which she hated. She was included in all activities and encouraged to interact with others around her. She always looked well cared for and was encouraged with eating and drinking.
There was always familiar staff around and they always greeted us cheerfully and appeared to be well trained and to enjoy their jobs, My mother's wishes and preferences were always taken into account.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 19 Jan 2018:

Thank you, David, for your lovely comments about Whittington Care Home. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of our home and all of the staff involved here. It is rewarding to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. We approach every resident with the utmost dignity and respect and try to make their experience a true home from home. Thank you once again for your praise and kind comments about the team here. It means so much to us.

Very pleased with the care my mother received when staying for 1-week respite, met my mother's needs fully. Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 15 Jan 2018:

Thank you, Patricia, for your comments about your recent experience at Whittington Care Home. Our residents’ wellbeing is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. Your praise and kind comments about our team mean a lot to us. Thank you once again.

My stepmother was suffering from vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease and following another stroke went into Whittington Care Home. From the moment of her admission we, the family, felt she received fantastic care and attention. She seemed 'happy' and cared for by all the of the staff and was fed and given drinks, cleaned and given attention. After several more strokes, she became bedfast and the attention and feeding never dwindled. She was cared for to the very end. "Thank you. ABOVE AND BEYOND BY EVERYONE".

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is a caring and very friendly home. Everyone is made welcome. My friend is a resident and she thinks it is wonderful. The food is splendid and the staff are really kind and helpful and will do anything for her.
It is a clean and modern place and there is always plenty of staff around caring for the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Since I moved in during October 2016, I have been very settled. I have felt very welcome, secure, well looked after and comfortable. I have found that all the staff have been selected carefully and trained exceptionally well. All the carers know your name and when asked they do all they can do help and assist you. No request is too large or small and they all are pleasant and friendly. I have a great rapport with them all except one.
I might be wrong but she seems to have a grudge against me. All the staff except for her, smile and are cheery. She seems to be going through the motions but doesn't really want to.
I am the only resident that is gluten intolerant which puts and extra hurdle in front of the kitchen staff. They all go out of their way to make my meals interesting and varied, even though I cause problems. The meals are well cooked and served at the correct temperature.
I have no problem in recommending this nursing home as the best in Chesterfield.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

I did have a complaint to make about the way a member of staff communicated with my mother.
My complaint was listened to and I was reassured further investigations would occur.
On the plus side, I have witnessed the most wonderful care to not only my mother but to all residents.
The atmosphere in the home is always good and positive with good communication and constructive leadership.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

My main concern has been the meals. They are really poor. There has been a lot of problems. What worries me is that they don't seem to know who is on normal fork or soft, so they sometimes get soft instead of a fork. My husband is a good eater and I find the portions small. I must say there have been improvements with better working employees in the kitchen the food has been better but the attitude is a problem sometimes. I find the care-support is good. I find the staff very helpful and management will try their best to sort problems out. What I would like is bedrooms more homely, they are a bit outdated and furniture falling to bits.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Likely

Charlotte Jackson, Marketing Assistant at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 26 May 2017:

Thank you for your honest feedback. I will agree there has been some issues regarding the food and FSHC has been working very closely with our supplier, who provides our catering service to help improve the standards in this area. At home level, we have collected information via a food survey from our residents and relatives, this feedback has also been sent to our supplier and will continue to do so, to maintain consistency. I have informed the staff and kitchen manager to ensure your relative receives a bigger portion.
Many Thanks

My wife has been a resident for 3.5years. She has had the best care possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

I found the home and all the staff are very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Extremely Likely

The overall standard of the care home is good, apart from slight hiccups in the laundry department, which I do not like e.g clothes going missing, then seeing other people with them on.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Likely

My relative has been very settled since living at Whittington. She has been allowed her paino in her room- which we are very grateful for! I know she is very independant still but sometimes feel she could be "steered" a little more or guided with e.g. clothes choices. On xmas day she came in trousers she couldn't do up. (I'd picked out an outfit and discussed it with 2 members of staff as i knew things would be busier than usual on xmas day). The staff have a very caring, friendly way with the residents. I would appreciate it if my relative could be sat with any others she could converse with - i was assured there were others similar before i booked her in! I don't know if she sits in upper lounge.

How likely would you be to recommend Whittington Care Home? Likely

Wendy Johnson, Home Manager at Whittington Care Home responded to this review on 10 Feb 2016:

Hi Lorna, thank you for taking the time to review Whittington Care Home - we really appreciate your comments and feedback on the service here. I can assure you that our team do our best to assist residents in the decisions they make. I know your relative is very independent and chooses her clothes each morning - she declines our help with this, and as some items may not fit anymore this can cause issues. This is something we can look to resolve. She has also made a special bond with one of our other residents, and they regularly take walks around the home and eat meals together. I will be in touch to talk further with you, but if you have any concerns in the meantime please don’t hesitate to contact me.

From the first day my Mum arrived at Whittington the staff have been fantastic. I was worried about my Mum going into care, but I needn't have been. The staff are caring, professional and have time for you. I would without hesitation say that the staff at Whittington are a credit to your company.

Submit a Review for Whittington Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Whittington Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Whittington Care Home