Clarence Court, Glasgow, Glasgow City

Clarence Court provides nursing, respite, and palliative care for older people. Excellently situated in Glasgow's West End, Clarence Court is centrally located near to all the area’s amenities, including Victoria Park, Gartnavel General Hospital and the University of Glasgow.

The home is set across three floors and there are communal lounges and dining rooms on each floor, as well as ample outdoor space, meaning peace and quiet is never far away. The home has good wheelchair access and residents have TVs and telephones in their own rooms, as well as a good choice of communal areas in which to socialise.

Group: brighterkind

Person in charge: Laura Wilson (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Glasgow City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Over 65 Years. Ages 65+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Clarence Court: click here

posted 15 Feb 2018

Clarence Court offers nursing care

9.4 Clarence Court has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.364)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Clarence Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Clarence Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.614 for Clarence Court is calculated as follows: ( (104 Excellents x 5) + (60 Goods x 4) + (2 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 166 Ratings = 4.614

The 4.75 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Clarence Court is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 8 Target = 0.750

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Clarence Court?

Reviewer Connection to Clarence Court

I have nothing but praise for Clarence Court. The onsite administration has made themselves accessible at all times and was most helpful in navigating the enrollment process and endlessly responsive to my concerns for my mother's care and comfort. Since my mother's entry, I have had endless proofs of my mother's safety and care. I have been encouraged to have physical access to the home any time when I am in town and regular telephone and Skype access at all other times. Visitors are made welcome and all have come away praising my mother's situation, even where there have been reservations beforehand. Her designated nurses could not be more understanding and communicative of her sometimes daily changing state, keeping me informed of needs and wants. In my visits, I have seen the kindness and patience displayed to all, not just to my mother. This creates a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The activities, trips, religious accommodation, Skype and pet access provide enrichment to the routine and are remarkable considering the complexity in arrangements. For the first time, I feel supported and free from constant worry over my mother's safety and well-being.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

I have generally found the staff genuinely caring and conscientious. The staffing levels seem adequate the nursing care very good.

My father has been in Clarence Court for about a year and a half, and has settled in nicely and is content. He has steadily gained weight since suffering pneumonia shortly after he arrived and I think this demonstrates his level of contentment.

The standard of decoration within Clarence court has improved significantly since dad arrived I'm pleased to say, as that was the only element of Clarence Court which gave me cause for concern. It is also good to see that a driver has been engaged allowing the residents the opportunity to get out and about when the weather permits. I Know Dad enjoyed his trip to see the Christmas lights in George Square.

Communication is generally very good with care being taken to ensure that I am informed of any event or incident which effects my father.

All in all very pleased that Dad is staying in Clarence Court

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

All the staff are very nice and they are kind to the residents, which I think is the most important thing.The GP is very attentive and the medical care is very good. The residents' culinary needs are well catered for. There is a number of activities and a pleasant garden to sit in when the weather is nice. I would recommend this care home to anyone and know that relatives will have peace of mind if their relations are here.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Likely

Our family is very happy with Clarence Court and the care provided to our mother. All the staff are excellent, can we especially commend the Events/Activities Co-ordinator.
Mum's previous home did not have organised activities and this has made a huge difference to her quality of life.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

It's one of the hardest decisions I had to make as my mum with advanced dementia had deteriorated to the point she ended up in hospital for a month. I had decided on a place elsewhere at first (my gran had been in). My mum after only being in a week in the first place ended up with an infection through neglect. I had to log a complaint. Very upsetting.
So I decided to go to Clarence Court for a look. I was greeted by a member of staff who was so friendly, she gave me a tour of the home.
It was such a difference, very cosy and spotless, all the staff were friendly/helpful. I decided that day to move Mum here.
There was a room available and we had her moved within a few days. She was like a different person. She is settled, content, safe and happy apart when she is having her off days with dementia. But even then the staff know how to treat my mum.
I honestly cannot fault this place or the staff. It really is a blessing knowing I don't have to worry about my mum every day as she is well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

I have been visiting once a week for nearly two years and I find the staff all very pleasant and helpful. It is nice that there is a nice garden and I can take my friend out in her wheelchair, she likes the fresh air and admiring flowers and greenery. There are plenty of chairs so that we can sit out if it is a good day. The only thing I think is that the en-suite toilet although clean could be upgraded but I know my friend would not like any change.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

It was a very difficult decision for me to enter my mother into a care home. She had a brief spell in another home and I was very concerned about her, however, when she was transferred to Clarence Court things improved greatly. As far as I am aware the standard of care is really good and the staff at the home are on the whole very caring and attentive. Staff appear to get lots of training and are very understanding of my mum's condition which is key to looking after people with dementia. My mum is much more settled and at times appears happier than I can remember her being in the last year or so. The home is a pleasant environment and is always clean and odour free, making it a pleasant place to visit. The protected meal times are quite long, however, as I live locally it is not too much of an issue for me. More relatives meetings in the evenings would be good, but these are just small issues.
All in all, I am very happy and grateful that my mum is at Clarence Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

I have been extremely impressed by the staff at Clarence Court. The staff are very professional in their approach and attitude. All staff provide a real warm, caring and active role and responsibility in their care of our friend. I have always been impressed by the staff's keenness to provide an update on health and activities, their friendly approach and attitude toward myself. On observing the staff they fully engage with residents.

Care is exceptional and I would not hesitate in recommending Clarence Court.

The level of care, food and cleanliness within Clarence Court is of a high standard, ensuring that all residents are treated equally and fairly. The day to day organisation and participation of stimulating and enjoyable activities available for all residents to engage in is varied and encouraged. Seasonal celebrations / activities are looked forward to by the residents. Birthdays are celebrated with a gift, sing song and cake making the residents feel special.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

My aunt has lived in Clarence Court for over a year and I have nothing but praise for the staff and the level of care. Like many of the residents my aunt has dementia and it is a tribute to the staff that she is generally very content in the home, standards of hygiene and cleanliness are excellent, there are activities and outings, but above all each of the residents are treated with dignity, respect and, I would say, love.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

In the 6 months since my wife became a permanent resident, I have found this to be a good home for her. Being retired and living an easy walking distance away makes it possible to visit every day and at varying times. Because our GP being willing to call health is satisfactory.
My wife has Alzheimer's and her walking has actually improved. I always feel welcome and my 3 (adult) children are favourably impressed. There is a genuine and sustained attention to individual needs. The staff work as a team and there is a positive cheerfulness alongside a reliable professional practice.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

My mum moved to Clarence Court in May. The welcome she received was outstanding - flowers and a card along with friendly smiles. Everyone was very kind and attentive in supporting her transition to the home. She has settled well and is involved in lots of activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

Mum said the care home is very good and the food is good too. The carers and staff are very helpful she is very happy staying here.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

Very positive experience for residents and ourselves.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Extremely Likely

In the short time my wife has enjoyed her stay here after a transfer from another home which she had been in. Given the change she has settled in well and is able to come out with me daily in the care for afternoon trips. She also participates in activities of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Clarence Court? Likely

Submit a Review for Clarence Court

Recipient: brighterkind

June 2017

Recipient: brighterkind

Laura Wilson

Why did you decide to join brighterkind?

I commenced with FSHC in January 2010 as I wanted to make a difference to peoples lives and create a "home from home" environment.

What one thing do you enjoy most about your job?

No two days are the same it, has its challenges and keeps me on my toes. I love that we make our residents happy and give our relatives a sense of fulfilment knowing their loved one is being well cared for.

Are you a nurse?

I have been a registered adult nurse since 2009.

Why did you get into nursing?

It was always something I wanted to do and when I turned 21 I decided that if I didn’t do it now I never would. I have always had a caring nature and love the idea of helping people feel better.

Key qualifications and experience:

Bachelor of Nursing

NMC registration

Level 4 Management & Leadership

Worked my way from staff nurse, to deputy manager to home manager with the same company.

What was a defining moment for you?

There is so many, everyday something happens that makes me proud of my home, my team and the care we provide to our residents to make them happy. I am so proud of what my home has accomplished over the past 5 years.

Experience – what is your background?

Since leaving school I worked for 5 years for City Building Glasgow within there training department, in both apprenticeship training and vocational training. I completed my SVQ Level 3 in Administration, European Computer Driving Licence and Certificate in Personnel Practice. Whilst at university I worked for Cordia providing home care to clients within their own home.

I am passionate about…

Being the best I can be, I give everything - 110%. Providing good standards of care and believing that everyone should be treated the way we would like our own family to be treated.

What do you feel is your biggest achievement?

Becoming a nurse and graduating from university.

My favourite brighterkind value from our five values of Keep it simple, Do it from the heart, Make every moment matter, Sort it and Choose to be happy, is...

Do it from the heart

Because…

Caring for elderly is a rewarding job and I believe the right people for the job need to have the capability within their heart to genuinely care.

Contact details

To contact our home manager, Laura Wilson, call 01413 391 611 or email laura.wilson@brighterkind.com

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Clarence Court