Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home

Abbey Road, Auchterarder PH3 1DN

Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care home is set in tranquil, leafy grounds just off "Lang Toon".

The building used to be an elegant country house hotel and evidence of the splendour and glamour of the former hotel is still very much part of todays architecture.

The home has recently benfitted from a major, sensitive renovation, and now provides 51 rooms, many with stunning views over the gardens and the rolling Perthshire countryside. The configuration of this home also provides a number of luxury care apartments for residents requiring a little more comfort and homeliness in their care accommodation.

Balhousie Auchterarder care home really is more akin to a high end hotel for the elderly rather than a traditional care home. The home welcomes private and socially assisted residents and offer a range of bedrooms and care packages from £550 per week.

Group: Balhousie Care Group

Person in charge: Jozi Stables (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Perth and Kinross Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 50 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Admission Information: Ages from 60 to 100.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Independent Living Training • Sheltered Housing • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 17 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.723 for Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (152 Excellents x 5) + (45 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 202 Ratings = 4.723

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home is based on 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10 positive Reviews (50 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 13 Reviews ÷ 10 Target Reached = 1

9.7 Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.723) from 17 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

My mum became a resident of Ruthven Towers in 2016. As a family, we hoped that we had made the right choice of nursing home care for her and we were worried about what the future held for mum. From that day two years ago mum, has only been treated with kindness and compassion by all the staff, whether it's the care staff taking time for a chat and laugh with her or the nursing staff tending to her medical needs. From the manager down, we know we can discuss any problems/queries we may have regarding mum and it is so reassuring to know the door is always open!
It is lovely to see mum joining in the various activities the home has and I enjoy being able to take part in some with her so still making memories together.
Ruthven Towers has a real family environment, friendly and always welcoming!
We as a family, definitely know that we made the right choice for mum two years ago.

How likely would you be to recommend Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home? Extremely Likely

After exploring care facilities in two other regions for my elderly cousin, and visiting several, I was totally disillusioned and saddened by what I saw and learnt about these homes. I then visited Ruthven Towers.
I broke down on my investigative visit. My tears were tears of relief. Here is a home that actually does what it says in the brochure. I had found "The Hotel For The Elderly" for my Dearest Cousin. She has been there for 7 weeks now and I am just delighted. The leadership is strong and forward thinking, the management team work as a unit and are "resident lead", the staff are all patient, friendly and welcoming.
A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Ruthven Towers is indeed a warm, spacious, secure and stimulating environment. My cousin is not only cared for but genuinely cared about. The concern shown does not stop there, as the whole team are committed to reassuring the relatives and listening and responding to any worries they may have. Ruthven is just superb.

My mother moved into Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home in November 2017, following a hospital stay. It had become apparent that she would require full nursing care upon discharge. Someone suggested that we check out Balhousie Ruthven Towers and we visited the next day. The staff member who showed us around was delightful, as were all of the staff we met that day. The home was clean, cheerful, cosy and welcoming. My daughter and I could hardly believe our luck in finding this place! My mother moved into Balhousie Ruthven Towers soon after that initial visit and my time spent there with her as she settled in reassured me that our initial impression was entirely accurate. Balhousie Ruthven Towers is a wonderful place - beautifully appointed and staffed by well trained, compassionate and respectful individuals who deeply care about the people they are looking after. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Living abroad, I now have great peace of mind knowing that my mother is being looked after so well in such a lovely place.

On visiting Ruthven Towers for the first time, I was taken by the welcoming, cosy caring feel about the home. Now, many months later and after almost daily visits, I still have the same feeling, only more so.
It came as no surprise therefore when Ruthven Towers gained top marks in a recent Care Inspectorate Report for Management, Leadership, Care and Support. Led by an enthusiastic and capable management team, further recognition was achieved at 2017 Scottish Care Home Awards for Initiative. All this was due reward for the entire staff who are so approachable and considerate in what can be a demanding lifestyle.

There are many diverse daily activities, well organised, involving outings, musical events, engaging residents with animals and integration with the local community. Nursing care is of a high standard and continuous revision to menus on a seasonal basis provides for healthy eating. Altogether, a very reassuring environment and the home baking is such a treat!

I believe my wife is well looked after in an atmosphere of kindliness. She shows no evidence of stress or concern and seems to be free from any kind of anxiety. My impression is that she understands and appreciates the care she is given.

How likely would you be to recommend Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home? Likely

Prior to coming into Ruthven Towers, I had viewed many homes which left me feeling uneasy about putting my mother into care. I came to visit Ruthven Towers and felt instantly reassured as the home was welcoming, warm, clean, had a fresh smell and the staff were very friendly. Having to put my mother into care was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make in my life, however, I believe this is the closest thing to home for her. I know she is safe and very well looked after. The staff acknowledge my mother by name and this has helped her build up relationships with the staff which is so important and has put my mind at ease also knowing she is in 24-hour nursing care. The manager is very much in tune with whats going on in the home in relation to staff, resident and relatives. She is very hands on. She provides us with regular updates knowing I can go on holiday and still be kept in the loop. I can't thank the staff enough for the help, love and support shown to my mother and my family.

It is early days as Dad has only been in Ruthven Towers for five weeks. However, we are very happy with the standard of care which he has received. The staff are very friendly and approachable - from the Manager through to nurses, carers and auxiliary staff. Dad is very happy with how he is being looked after and has told us he will not move!
The home itself is spotless - everything is neat and tidy - both in public areas and in Dad's room. Food appears to be of good quality - I can only vouch for the homemade scones and cakes which are distributed daily with tea and coffee to residents and friends/family alike. All delicious!
Lots of activities are scheduled to suit a wide variety of tastes - musical, art classes, shopping etc.
Overall, we - and most importantly, Dad - are very happy.

Quite good but in need of improvement. Poor staff morale, high turnover of staff leaving shortages or inexperienced carers to cater for residents needs. Waiting times for care needs up to 30 minutes are excessive. Need more carers to access to suites very poor with regular lift breakdowns. Access to emergency ramp prone to freeze!
Food served cold due to access to kitchens via lift and cold plates. Staff need more support form management.

How likely would you be to recommend Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Kirstene Feenan, Marketing Manager at Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home responded to this review on 16 Jan 2018:

Thanks very much for your feedback. We will work with our management team and look into the concerns raised. Many thanks.

Our friend had been very unwell for a long time before agreeing to become a resident in Ruthven Towers. The difference in her well-being now, is nothing short of extraordinary. She has a beautiful, well-appointed room (which was well utilized yesterday when we held a birthday party there). All the staff we have met, from the manager, all the way through the team of carers, nurses, cleaners etc, have been so very helpful, caring and extremely pleasant. We are delighted that our friend is very happy and well cared for and that she has settled so well into her home in Ruthven Towers.

Mum became a resident in March 2016 after a spell in PRI which resulted in her not being able to return home.After viewing many care homes in the area we decided on Ruthven Towers as our first impressions were very favourable. We know we made the right decision as mum is very happy in her surroundings and us as her family are more than happy with her new home. Everything about Ruthven Towers from the rooms to the care provided to the staff and management are all excellent.They all seem like a big extended family and that's what we want for our mum.The activities and outings and baking and coffee mornings and entertainers etc all add to the already happy atmosphere.The staff are all brilliant they always have a cheery smile and time for a blether and if we have any concerns about mum they soon reassure us. Ruthven Towers was the right choice for mum and we are so happy knowing that she is getting the best of care and most importantly that she has settled into her new home and is happy !!

As pleasant a place to be during this period of a person's life, with friendly and helpful staff who are always there to assist, chat or "just be nice".

My mum has been in Ruthven Towers for 1 year now. She has dementia and is 90. She is very happy there, I am very happy with the care being provided at Ruthven Towers. It is a truly excellent home.

The manager is excellent, under her guidance this home has become excellent as evidenced by the score of 6 at the recent inspection. All the staff are caring, polite, patient and treat residents with dignity and respect. Activities are very good with a great variety.

There is a lot of emphasis on Dementia in the home, lots of initiatives to help improve the lives of residents with Dementia.

I cannot recommend Ruthven Towers more highly, very well done to the manager and her excellent team!

My Mum has been in Ruthven Towers for nearly two years and the level of care and attention she has been given is exceptionally high. The team members treat all residents in a very caring and understanding way and I have never questioned the service provided. The team know each of the residents as individuals and look after them as individuals. I visit regularly and the home is always clean, tidy and warm with a high level of refurbishment always ongoing to keep it immaculate and offering excellent levels of comfort to all. I particularly like the fact that after a period of time, once known, team members stop for a chat and take an interest in what is happening.

It can be a worrying time having an elderly relation in care but never do I leave feeling concerned or worried, as I know that due to exceptionally high standards my Mum is very well looked after.

My mother was moved to Ruthven Towers in July 2016. Right from the start, she was treated with dignity and care. The staff were excellent to her and all her liked and preferences are taken into account. They have regular activities and you can see from the photographs on the walls, that the residents enjoy them. Any illness or infection that my mother might get is identified early and treated likewise. Regular Cuppas and cake break up the day for them and as always when I visit, my mother is dressed well and spotlessly clean. I highly recommend this care home. My mother loves it!!

Our mothers transition into the "care hotel " went very smoothly, professional staff showed patience and sensitivity both to our mum and the family. The small sitting areas allow calm quiet areas to spend time with your loved one. Our mums new bedroom had a garden view, freshly painted, once personal belongings were placed it became very homely.

My Mother has been bedridden due to a serious fall resulting in brain damage since December. Since then she has been extremely well looked after and always looks cared for and even her lipstick is on!. The staff are brilliant with her and she is treated with dignity. Due the quality of care my brother and I can get on with our busy schedules knowing that she is content and cared for. Thank you all.

Overall I am generally very satisfied that my mother is being well looked after at Ruthven Towers ....long term tenure of staff gives cause for considerable easing of relative anxieties. I do hope the Balhousie culture allows this long term staff tenure to well continue and to further grow and develop. In general, we are very pleased we chose Ruthven Towers.

How likely would you be to recommend Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home? Likely

Submit a Review for Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Balhousie Ruthven Towers Care Home