Pebble Mill Care Home

2 Mill Pool Way, Edgbaston, Birmingham B5 7EG

Set in the heart of Edgbaston, Bupa’s Pebble Mill Care Home is just two miles from Birmingham city centre and a stone’s throw from Cannon Hill Park and its renowned Arts Centre.

The BBC’s fondly-remembered Pebble Mill Studio closed its doors in 2005 to make way for a family of world-class healthcare facilities like Pebble Mill Care Home. The famous history of this location is firmly stitched into the fabric of the home.

With superior standards of design, build and interior finish, everything you’ll find at Bupa’s Pebble Mill Care Home has been made with residents in mind. From the wide and welcoming corridors and communal spaces, to the wheelchair-accessible lifts and stunning interior décor in each of the comfortable en-suite bedrooms.

Each of the 62 bedrooms – many with garden and courtyard views – are fitted with a flat screen TV and 24-hour call system and are individually air-conditioned, ensuring the preferred temperature all year round. State-of-the-art salon and nail bar offers a tranquil space for relaxation, a spot of pampering or therapeutic treatment, whilst a collection of comfortable lounges and seating areas provide places to socialise or enjoy quiet contemplation.

Family and friends of every resident are welcomed into daily life at the home. Whether they’re helping the home to understand the passions and preferences of a loved one, taking an active involvement in planning their care, or simply popping in for a bite to eat, the doors are always open.

The team of nurses and carers has been selected for their natural compassion and real desire to make a difference. In addition to the fantastic surroundings and delicious food, it’s the people who make Pebble Mill such a reassuring and inspiring place.

You’ll find us in the Medical Quarter of Edgbaston’s Calthorpe Estate – at the corner of Bristol Road and Mill Pool Way.

Person in charge: Gareth Richards (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Birmingham City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 62 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Free onsite parking available.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Pebble Mill Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 8.7 (maximum of 10) for Pebble Mill Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 5 out of 5 from 3 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Pebble Mill Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.7 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.971 for Pebble Mill Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (33 Excellents x 5) + (1 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 34 Ratings = 4.971

The 3.742 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Pebble Mill Care Home is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 12.4 positive Reviews (62 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 12.4 Target = 0.242

8.7 Pebble Mill Care Home has a Review Score of 8.7 (8.713) from 3 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Pebble Mill Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Pebble Mill Care Home

Just let's say my husband and I could very happily live there. Very clean, staff very helpful. Our friend very, very calm which is lovely to see as all in all, all good.

How likely would you be to recommend Pebble Mill Care Home? Extremely Likely

Holly McGough, Customer Adviser at Pebble Mill Care Home responded to this review on 17 May 2018:

Thank you for your review. We highly appreciate your comments and are pleased to hear about your friend's positive experience. These will be passed on to the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I have been greatly impressed by the staff at Pebble Mill care home. Nothing has been too much trouble

How likely would you be to recommend Pebble Mill Care Home? Extremely Likely

Gabriella Mills, Customer Advisor at Pebble Mill Care Home responded to this review on 23 May 2018:

Thank you for your review of Pebble Mill. We are pleased to hear that you have had such a positive experience and appreciate your comments on our staff. We will share your review with the care home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother, who has gone as a nursing care resident, was taken on the second day of opening. She was the first there and I cannot speak too highly of staff and facilities. She seems settled and happy. I would not hesitate to recommend this home to anybody. It is better than a top hotel.

How likely would you be to recommend Pebble Mill Care Home? Extremely Likely

Natalie Krisman, Customer Service Adviser at Pebble Mill Care Home responded to this review on 10 May 2018:

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased to hear that your mother is well-cared for and happy in the home.

Submit a Review for Pebble Mill Care Home

posted 14 May 2018

Brand new care home opened in March 2018. Each of Pebble Mill's 62 en-suite bedrooms - many with garden and courtyard views all fitted with a flat screen TV and 24-hour call system and individually air-conditioned, to ensure the preferred temperature is achievable all year round. Bedrooms are available as single, twin and conjoined rooms accommodating individual and spouses or family members. We provide dementia, nursing and residential long and short term care.

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

Gareth

Gareth Richards

Joined: 2017

I quickly found out that I was too tall to realise my dream of being an RAF pilot, so before joining Bupa my career had gravitated towards managerial and director-level roles with some of the leading brands in the retail sector.

Moving into care home management might not seem like an obvious transition – and I suppose it isn’t. But I’ve always been eager to challenge myself, and the authentic values, kind spirit and caring ethos at Bupa really resonated with me.

Although Bupa itself is widely considered as being a highly-established and well-respected brand, there’s an extra feeling of pride in knowing that Pebble Mill has been chosen as one of the small group of care homes in our prestigious new Select Collection.

I’m already enjoying immersing myself in the local community, meeting like-minded organisations and learning about the unique and fascinating history of Pebble Mill.
Perhaps most importantly, I’m here to offer any help and advice I can to support families looking for care.

It’s been a privilege to be able to build my own team. Hand-selecting skilled and committed people that I know have the natural compassion and character that will ensure our residents and their families enjoy the best possible care and support.

As part of Bupa’s new Select Collection, people are often surprised by the range of facilities to be found at Pebble Mill. From the pizza oven to the roof terrace and children’s play area, this isn’t your typical care home. And I’d love the opportunity to show you why.

Fanny Mumba

Job Title: Deputy Manager and Clinical Lead

Joined: 2005

I’ve always had a heart to help people – ever since I was a child. There’s no better feeling than looking after someone and being able to improve their quality of life. Even if it’s just making them smile. That’s the reason I still love my job after nearly three decades in nursing.

I moved to the UK 15 years ago and for the past 13 years I’ve worked with Bupa. As an employer, I don’t think there’s anyone better – they’ve always been incredibly supportive when it comes to my personal career progression. They help me to keep my clinical skills up-to-date too, so I never feel like I’ve stopped improving my knowledge.

As the clinical lead and deputy manager at Pebble Mill, I’m excited to be here from the very beginning; building the team, bringing in new residents and setting the standard of care for the staff. It’s a beautiful new home, so it’s going to be a brilliant challenge and I want us to be a standards bearer for
great care, as well as being a homely and reassuring place to live.

This is definitely a hard job, but it’s so rewarding too. I get a lot of joy from seeing the colleagues around me grow and develop, but the most important thing is the residents. If after a long day I can drive home to Dudley knowing that I’ve done something positive and made someone feel happy, then I’ll be
happy too.

Kyle Ryan

Job Title: Chef Manager

Joined: 2017

After getting my NVQs at the Birmingham College of Food, I started honing my chef skills in various restaurants and hotels across the City, including the highly regarded and high-pressured kitchen at Birmingham’s Hyatt Regency.

But I’d always had something inside me that meant I wanted to make a difference – without moving away from my love of cooking. And that’s why I chose to work in the care sector… initially as an assistant chef in a local children’s home, and for the past two years as a chef with Bupa’s Netherton Green Care Home.

When Gareth – the manager at Pebble Mill – asked me to apply for the head chef at this new home, I didn’t need to think twice. I’m relishing the opportunity of building a like-minded team and running the kitchen alongside people who share Bupa’s ambition to set a new standard in the sector.

For me, there’s nothing quite like the challenges of care home cooking – it really is a uniquely rewarding career… and we constantly have to push ourselves creatively to keep surprising and delighting our residents – and to keep-up with the themed events and ideas of our activities team!

And it’s not just about creating tasty and attractive food – the nutritional balance is so important when it comes to improving the health and well-being of the people we cater for. It’s a privilege that so many families trust us to care for their loved ones, and that’s a responsibility we take very seriously.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Pebble Mill Care Home