Summerfield House, Halifax, West Yorkshire

Group: The Bondcare Group

Person in charge: Carl Stevenson (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 106 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Head/Brain Injury • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Summerfield House: click here

9.3 Summerfield House has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.303)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Summerfield House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Summerfield House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.784 for Summerfield House is calculated as follows: ( (156 Excellents x 5) + (27 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 190 Ratings = 4.784

The 4.519 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Summerfield House is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 21.2 positive Reviews (106 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 21.2 Target = 0.519

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Summerfield House?

Reviewer Connection to Summerfield House

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

Summerfield provided the perfect home for my mother-in-law who had been in a hospital for 8 weeks and was discharged there for palliative care.
The room was clean and comfortable - both for my mother-in-law and also for family members.
From the outset, all the staff were excellent - providing sensitive care and expertise.
The staff checked into the room at least every half hour ensuring my mother-in-law was okay.
I could see genuine care by all the staff for my mother-in-law and also other residents in Summerfield.
The staff did their absolute best to make my mother-in-law comfortable and pain-free, they kept her clean and readjusted her position to take pressure off her bed sores.
They continued to encourage her to eat and drink despite the fact that she wasn't interested.
The local GP was also very good - she visited and reviewed the medication prescribed by the hospital before making amendments to the medication package and setting my mother-in-law on an end of life pathway.

Activities: Don't Know

From my mother going into Summerfield House, we knew that we had made the right decision. It's very distressing having to put your mother in a nursing home but everyone that we came into contact with was so helpful and nothing too much trouble.
Her room was clean and very pleasant, the food was good but most of all a very caring staff. Unfortunately, she passed away two weeks ago but during her final hours when we had a break she was never left alone which was a great comfort to us.
Again from the cleaners to the top thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

My dad has been in this care home just over a year now after a long period in hospital. He was very anxious and upset by the move but has settled in very well thanks to the wonderfully friendly and supportive staff. Every visit I attend they are all always willing to help and nothing is too much trouble from any of them. The staff are always willing to listen and take on board any concerns. They look after the residents as if they were family members/loved ones (which is a stark contrast to some of the homes that I have visited) There is a lot of care and support for the residents (and their families as they have been very supportive towards me when things have not been easy) The facilities are always clean and tidy. My dad's room is always immaculate and clean. My dad is always clean and presented well, clean shaven, hair done, nails clipped and clean clothing. When residents do spill food/drinks or have accidents they are very swiftly taken to be cleaned up.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

My mother was initially resident on the Residents wing of the Care home however as her condition worsened she was accepted onto the Dementia floor. Mum was well looked after and treated with dignity during the two and a half years she was resident until her death at the home in October 2016.
It would have been appreciated by the family, however, if a representative of the Care home could have attended my mother's funeral so we could express our appreciation personally.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

From the moment my father came to live at the home, he was made to feel very welcome and part of the family. What was a very difficult time for him was made so much easier by the wonderful staff. Their professionalism and nurturing care shone through. My father has complex care needs and these are met daily on every level by the excellent, well-trained team of nursing and care staff. The staff also keep me well informed of his care needs, which gives us as a family peace of mind. All of the staff treat the service users with absolute respect and dignity and nothing is too much for them to do. You are made to feel welcome the minute you arrive at the home and they like to get to know the service user and all about them to familiarise themselves with the service users likes and dislikes. There are a variety of additional services provided and service users are encouraged to participate in social activities. I would highly recommend this home and all of the staff working there.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

My mother moved into Summerfield House as nursing care, she was 90 years old at the time. Throughout the 11 1/2 months, she was at the home my family and I were very satisfied and delighted in how she was looked after. The staff and management were helpful at all times and looked after her with great care and attention. She passed away on the 26th January 2017 at the age of 91 1/2, peacefully. Our thanks go to everyone involved.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

Care is good. The staff are kind and cheerful, daily logs are available to family members and are precise and informative. Staff are on the ball with medication and if any tweaking is necessary it is dealt with quickly. The food is lovely, carefully and attractively presented. Facilities are excellent, with kitchen/tea room for family, activity programmed is varied and regular.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

The home and provision within the buildings are basic but very nice and uncomplicating. The staff are welcoming and treat the residents with dignity and respect. The home provides entertainment on certain days for those able to participate.
Whenever there have been issues, they have always been dealt with in a timely manner and to a successful conclusion.
In comparison to other homes visited this is certainly up with the very best, immaculate in decoration and furnishings.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

Choosing a care home is difficult, especially when the person concerned cannot contribute, so I approached this by thinking "would I live here?". Summerfield House is bright, airy and has wide spaces for ease of movement. I was met by the manager, who was enthusiastic and proud (rightly so) of the home and answered all my questions. The resident's rooms are a good size and contain everything needed. The staff are all lovely and treat my Aunt with kindness, patience and respect, even though her condition has worsened and she can be 'challenging'! I can visit whenever I want to with no restrictions. The manager and other management staff are excellent. They are very approachable and always have time to answer any queries I might have. My aunt has now been here for 14 months, she is very happy and I don't worry about her care. Communal living will never be the same as your own home, but the answer to my question "would I live here?" is yes, and I would recommend it to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

Having to find a care home for my mother was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. However, as soon as I stepped into Summerfield House I knew I would like my mother to be cared for there. Summerfield House is modern, light and airy, the rooms are bright and everywhere is kept very clean and tidy.

The staff are exceptionally caring, dedicated and professional. They were unfailingly polite, respectful and thoughtful to mum and she was treated with dignity and felt secure there. The staff were always considerate to and made time for the family as well, when needed.

I can't thank the staff enough for all they did for my mum during more than two and a half years she was at Summerfield House right up until the end of her life.

The manager is excellent and extremely approachable.

Based on my experience I would certainly recommend Summerfield House in Halifax as an outstanding care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

My sister has been in dementia care at Summerfield House for almost two years, I am not an occasional visitor and see her almost every week, I must say at the outset that on my frequent visits I have never at any time had reason to bring any issue to the attention of the staff, the staff are excellent, I do firmly believe that the excellence of the facility is due to the excellent manager, I do point out that I am quick to complain and also quick to offer praise when it is due.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

My Dad has recently passed away and lived happily at Summerfields House for over two years, prior to this very sad but peaceful day (At Summerfields House).

Dad was extremely well cared for, and his needs were catered for with the utmost respect and dignity, even as his dementia became more advanced.

Visits to spend time with Dad were made a real pleasure, as the staff and carers are so genuinely caring and thoughtful, with all of the residents who live there and relatives/visitors, whilst always remaining professional, helpful and positive at all times.

I can not thank the Nursing Home enough for all that they have done for Dad and the family, always being there for all of us.

Our experience has been a very happy and satisfying one, and it makes me feel sad to see all of the bad media around Nursing homes.

Summerfield House is an excellent provider for the elderly, with an amazing caring feel about it and a loving atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

Mum has been on the Dementia Unit for over 3 years and during this time her care has been second to none. Placing her in a care home was the most difficult decision we as a family had to make. We need not have worried. From the minute we stepped inside the care home, mum was treated like royalty. We were welcomed by the manager who gave mum a big hug and reassured us that she would be fine. How right he was. This care home and staff are brilliant - nothing is too much trouble. The residents are well cared for in a clean, warm, safe environment with good food and plenty of entertainment including the 'Music Man' who frequently visits. Hairdressers and chiropodists visit weekly to ensure residents' needs are met. Either myself or my sister visit mum at different times every day and we have never had cause for concern. We are extremely happy with the care given to mum in this lovely home. I have and would recommend it to anyone with a friend or relative in need of 24-hour care.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

My wife is on the dementia unit. She needs one to one care. She is well cared for and is happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

Summerfield House is a warm, welcoming, modern clean residential home, with wonderful caring staff. You can visit at any time of the day or night, with no restrictions. There are lots of activities for residents to participate in if they so wish (baking, art, reading, singing, dominoes) and there is a large beautiful garden to sit outside when the weather is warmer.

To see the professionalism, care and dedication shown by staff to all the residents was of great comfort to us at a difficult time when placing our father in care.

We cannot praise this wonderful care home and the staff enough for the loving care shown to my father since he went to live at Summerfield House, where he happily spent the last 12 months of his life, and the family knew that he was being well looked after at all times.

If your loved one is needing a loving, caring, friendly, clean and modern place to reside in their latter years then please do consider this wonderful family run care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Summerfield House? Extremely Likely

Our family are very grateful for the genuine care and affection shown to mom during her (unfortunately) brief stay at Summerfield House. Obviously a nursing home will never replace your own home, but the staff carefully and steadily worked to help mom get involved in daily events where she started to make new friends and take an interest in herself again, having a hair do once a week. It was so very good to see mom regain her feet again, and eating good home cooked meals. Her progress was wonderful to see, and we enjoyed being with mom without the worry and stress of doing the necessary daily cores to keep her clean and comfortable. We even started to make plans for little outings, but sadly mom suddenly took a turn for the worse and passed away. The support and care we personally received during this short time was wonderful, and we will be forever grateful to the staff at Summerfield who helped us to enjoy a family life with mom again.

Submit a Review for Summerfield House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Summerfield House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Summerfield House