Barchester Hickathrift House, Marshland St James, Wisbech, Norfolk
Barchester Hickathrift House
Barchester Hickathrift House

Tel: 01945 430636

Hickathrift House provides first class, person centered care for both our Residential and Memory Lane clients.

Our focus is the individual; our dedicated staff team work closely with families and key professionals to develop a personalized package of care that is regularly reviewed to ensure that it adapts with the individuals changing needs to support and maintain individuality, dignity, privacy and independence.

Our dedication can be seen across the board – in our home cooking, hospitality, housekeeping, administration and in organizing activities for our residents.

Our most recent CQC inspection has shown us to be fully compliant in all areas, a copy of the inspection report is available on request.

Hickathrift House is located in the village of Marshland St James, situated between Wisbech and Kings Lynn. It is approximately 40 minutes from Hunstanton and 30 minutes from Sandringham.

We think you’ll find that we’re ideally suited to meet your needs.

Please feel free to drop in and see us if you’re in the area – the kettle’s always on!

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Sue Scarlett (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 52 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • No Medical Intervention • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: An assessment by our team prior to admission. Ages 60+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Barchester Hickathrift House: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Barchester Hickathrift House

(One single room with en-suite on our residential side of the home. We have Day Care & Limited Respite Places available for 2014)
posted 17 Jul 2014

March 2014

Green Leaf Standard

Date: Wednesday 12 Mar 2014

December 2013

October 2013

Recommendation Score: 9 (8.971)

The user 'Recommendation Score' ( 9 for Barchester Hickathrift House) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Tuesday 13 May 2014 by Joan B (Daughter of former resident)

My mother had her first stay at Hickathrift Care Home. We were very satisfied with her care and it had a very homely family feel. When mum came home she looked very clean and polished. We have had very bad experiences at other homes. I am mum's full time carer, she lives with me. So when she went to Hickathrift I could have a rest and feel at peace.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Thursday 3 April 2014 by Joan P (Wife of service user)

My husband has always enjoyed excellent service from caring and friendly staff, and always looks forward and enjoys his stays; good food and excellent accommodation and caring staff make his stays a pleasure for him.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Monday 10 March 2014 by Janice Towler (Daughter of Resident)

I would recommend this care home. The staff are always available and my mum is well looked after and very happy with all the services and care provided for her.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Tuesday 25 February 2014 by Sharon Worth (Daughter in law of resident)

Having had a very bad experience at a different Nursing/Care Home. I am above pleased with Hickathrift. Staff are always friendly, got time to talk to anyone also there for help and advice on anything and everything, even over the phone. The home is always clean, warm and very welcoming, not just to people who stay but those who are visiting. I would recommend this Nursing/Care Home to anyone. I hope that if I have to take up residence in a home it will be this one.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Monday 24 February 2014 by Marlene M (Partner)

Charles has been here for 1 year and has been cared for so well.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Thursday 20 February 2014 by Kevin Wilshire (Son of resident)

Because my mother receives such excellent care from all the staff working there, nothing is ever too much trouble, and Xmas Day lunch with my mother was excellent which was down to Lou in the kitchen and Ceri and Sue.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Tuesday 26 March 2013 by Joyce McKay (Resident)

I feel very safe and well looked after at Hickathrift, I feel very happy about the care I'm given, I feel coming to Hickathrift has made my life very happy and I don't have to worry about being alone anymore.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Friday 22 March 2013 by Charles R (Resident)

Having been a resident at this home for nearly ten years I consider the care,consideration and overall concern for my well being is above average.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Wednesday 20 March 2013 by Charles Balls (Resident)

I would recommend Hickathrift House for its high standard of food. I enjoy being with the staff and others, its a great meeting place.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House on Wednesday 18 July 2012 by Robin Pearson (Son-in-law of Resident)

Very good contact between staff and family. Even after a severe stroke they are giving very good care as Mother-in-law is totally bedridden and cannot speak or do anything for herself.

Submit a Recommendation for Barchester Hickathrift House

Please note this form is only for Recommendations & User Ratings. All submissions are verified by our team of editors, and we will contact you if further details are required. Fields marked in red are required

I certify that this recommendation & rating is my genuine opinion of Barchester Hickathrift House and in submitting it I agree to the terms of website use (carehome.co.uk/terms), which I have read and fully understand.

Volunteer

0.00

(Care Home / Nursing Home • Voluntary)

Wisbech , Norfolk

22 Jul 2014

Susan

Susan Scarlett

Joined: 2012

Description: My name is Sue Scarlett and I have been a General Manager with Barchester healthcare since 2010, coming to Hickathrift House during 2012. I am a qualified Learning Disabilities nurse with vast experience of working with the elderly, a role I thoroughly enjoy, especially learning about each individual resident. My main role at Hickathrift is to oversee the day to day running of the whole home, and to work with everyone who lives, works or visits Hickathrift, ensuring that they are happy with the home. I have two children of whom I am extremely proud, one beautiful granddaughter and I have been married for longer than I care to remember. Aside from my working life I am involved in dog rescue organisations, specifically for German Shepherds. I have a number of dogs of my own, including two rescued Shepherds and I am starting to train one of my dogs with a view to showing her, you may even see me at Crufts one day! Since arriving here I have endeavoured to make Hickathrift part of the community and have become involved with organisations in the village, inviting them to become part of our lives also.

Ceri

Ceri Mills

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2009

Description: Ceri has been with Hickathrift House since 2009 and worked her way up to Unit Manager in 2011. She was appointed as the Deputy Manager in 2014 and supports the General Manager within their role. Ceri is responsible for overseeing the day to day running of the home providing clinical support and guidance to the team and ensuring the delivery of care is second to none.

Laura

Laura Archer

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2011

Description: Laura is responsible for the administration of the home as well as providing support to the General Manager. She is supported by Tracey Hills & Kanita Oakey-Kierman, administration assistants, both of which have been with the company 20 years. Laura is happy to provide guidance and support on all financial matters within the home to both staff and families alike. Laura, Tracey & Kanita are now in the process of working towards their NVQ Level 3 in Business & Administraton.

Liz

Liz Wade

Job Title: Unit Manager for Memory Lane

Joined: 1991

Description: Liz works exclusively in driving and delivering the highest standards of care and dignity to all our residents and assists the Manager to offer the kind of support to families and loved ones that is valued so much.

Nigel

Nigel Coleman

Job Title: Head Chef

Joined: 2011

Description: Nigel is responsible for ensuring that our seasonal home cooked menus are great, the food is superb, the home made cakes taste like Granny used to make - and that our residents' diets offer the choice, nutrition and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Marilyn

Marilyn Strand

Job Title: Head of Laundry

Joined: 1992

Description: Marilyn joined Hickathrift House in 1992 as a housekeeper and started the Laundry in 1998, moving up at the head of the laundry department in 2005. She ensures her team provide a well run laundry service.

Robin

Robin Dunn

Job Title: Head of Maintenance

Joined: 2011

Description: Robin has been with Hickathrift House since November 2011 and is supported in his role by Barry Cordery, the Maintenance Assistant and Gerry Horobin, the Gardener. Together they are responsible for the upkeep of all aspects of the Home including interior decorating. Robin is also responsible for the Health and Safety of the home.

Tina

Tina Fish

Job Title: Activities Co-Ordinator

Joined: 2007

Description: Tina co-ordinates all the homes activities & events, ranging from 1 to 1 activities to larger events such as fete's. They get to know all our residents, finding our about their past, what they like and dont like before developing an activities plan for the home that is tailored to our residents wishes.

Care Home Idol 2013

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Hickathrift House