Barchester Hickathrift House, Wisbech, Norfolk

Hickathrift House provides first class, person centered care for both Residential and Memory Lane clients.

The focus is the individual; with a dedicated staff team working closely with families and key professionals to develop a personalized package of care that is regularly reviewed to ensure that it adapts with the individuals changing needs to support and maintain individuality, dignity, privacy and independence.

Their dedication can be seen across the board – in their home cooking, hospitality, housekeeping, administration and in organizing activities for residents.

Hickathrift House is located in the village of Marshland St James, situated between Wisbech and Kings Lynn. It is approximately 40 minutes from Hunstanton and 30 minutes from Sandringham.

Professionals think you’ll find that they’re ideally suited to meet your needs.

Please feel free to drop in and see them if you’re in the area – the kettle’s always on!

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Sue Scarlett (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 52 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • No Medical Intervention • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: An assessment by our team prior to admission. Ages 60+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Barchester Hickathrift House: click here

posted 05 Feb 2016

One Ground Floor residential room with ensuite on our Memory Lane community. Available now from £825.00 per week.

The user Review Score of 9.6 for Barchester Hickathrift House is based on 23 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.649 is made up of 4.764 Points relating to the ratings and 4.885 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

My mother moved into Hickathrift Care Home in March 2011. Although we experienced some difficulties, her time at the home was met with enthusiastic staff. My mum enjoyed the last years of her life within a caring home and it is through this I have some very fond memories. The staff were very understanding and showed a great sensitivity to any complaints or issues we raised. During the end of my mothers life I could not have asked for any better are. She was given great respect, dignity as we were as a family.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Hickathrift House? Likely

My dad was admitted with dementia but also has restricted sight and uses British sign language as his preferred method of communication. Normally he feel isolated amongst hearing people but the staff go out of their way to try and integrate Dad within the home. They are trying to learn signs to make him feel part of the home and he is now the best I have known him over the past 5 years. The family now do not have to worry that he is safe and being cared for by people who care.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Hickathrift House? Extremely LIKELY

My mum's condition has deteriorated quite quickly and during the last four years previous to her going into Hickathrift House she had been very agitated and angry. I believe that she has found a sense of peace there, the staff are very attentive and caring. It is a well run home and you are made to feel like you are still part of the caring team. They always have time for you and any concerns that you may have. It came recommended to me and I would recommend it you.

My husband has been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease for 6 years. He has been a resident of Hickathrift for 3 years. As a compulsorily retired GP , he was not the easiest or necessarily the most compliant resident initially, however he has been handled extremely sensitively throughout his period there. Last Christmas I spent 2 months in Australia with my 3 daughters and their families. On return I learned that my husband had become emotionally involved with a female resident. This was the second time this had happened. The staff dealt with my both my personal distress and my husband and his new attachment with great empathy and sensitivity. It was an exercise in good management of a very delicate situation. I shall always be grateful to them.

Of all the care homes I visited whilst searching for a place for my husband I chose Hickathrift for it's light, clean, airy, cheerful atmosphere and excellent rooms (each with a bathroom, toilet en-suite which I felt was so important). However, it was the staff who impressed me most and in spite of changes have always shown a consistently high standard of commitment. All this may sound very glowing ,but it is my own experience . This is what gives me peace of mind.

My grandmother lived at Hickathrift for 9 years and classed it as her home. The staff provided 100% care and her surroundings were more of a hotel and not a residential home. She was treated with the utmost dignity and nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff. Sadly she has now passed away but as a family we know if it hadn't been for the top rate care she received she would not have had the last 9 years still with us. Any residential home can have a good name, but without the brilliant staff as like Hickathrift it wouldn't really count,it is the staff who care that counts.

My mother started day care from August 2007. She then became a resident in July 2013. I am very happy with my mother's care. She has got vascular dementia so needs care and patience.

I usually visit my mother in the afternoon. Yesterday I went along in the morning. When I arrived, a care assistant was in Mum's room, at her side, helping her to eat a biscuit and chatting to Mum in a lovely, friendly manner. My mother has dementia and struggles to eat. It was so reassuring to see Mum enjoying some individual attention and being treated as we would care for her were she still at home.

My Mother in law attends Day Care and also for longer periods of respite. The staff are very helpful, friendly and care about my Husband & I as well as Mother in law. I feel very confident leaving her in their hands.

My Uncle has been in this home for a year, we have had only good things to say about Hickathrift. A wonderful homely and friendly atmosphere with much support for my Uncle from the fantastic staff. I have care of my Uncle and never have any queries about leaving him in the care of this home.

I have been coming to Hickathrift for over a year with an Aunt in memory here and Uncle in the normal unit. It has been a joy to see my uncle so happy and contented. The staff have been wonderful to him and helped him through his bereavement. The staff are so wonderful to me and make you feel so cheerful and pleased to visit. I love to be able to come and have lunch with my uncle. Its a really homely home and I am delighted with the care

I find the place and staff incredible. The place does not smell like a care home and has such a happy atmosphere, it is a happy place. The staff make it happy when I visit I feel happy and Pat is so happy. Pat has been so happy there and still is. She has a lovely room and there is always something going on to keep everyone stimulated. The food is like a five star hotel with choices on the menu. I really like going to visit as it doesn't smell of an old peoples home. I hope there is somewhere here when I need a place in the future.

Whilst my dad was in respite care (he now is a full time resident at Hickathrift), he was always treated with respect and dignity. The staff appeared to work hard for the residents, from activity workers to carers, to catering staff, gardeners and management. It is a very hard decision to leave a parent within a care home, but I felt his needs were well catered for at Hickathrift.

We have nothing but praise for the caring team at Hickathrift. My aunt recently passed away whilst a resident here and the love and care given to her was amazing. My uncle is still a resident, his support and care is amazing!

Would recommend this care home. One concern - my mother who is 91 years tells me she had elderly residents coming into her room late a night, not suitable.

Staff friendly and helpful, and my husband is generally happy to go and enjoy his days there. Can sometimes be a little disorganised with personal belongings, but overall very happy with service.

My mother has been going to Hickathrift for only a few stays and it is very ,very good. We have had very bad experiences with two other homes, but this home is wonderful in every way.

My mother was only in this home for a short time. The family were always warmly welcomed. My mother was always clean and beautifully dressed whenever we visited. The acre they gave her was with compassion and they were aware of all her needs. We could visit at any time. My mother dies suddenly and unexpectedly and arrangements were carried out with dignity and respect.

My mother had her first stay at Hickathrift Care Home. We were very satisfied with her care and it had a very homely family feel. When mum came home she looked very clean and polished. We have had very bad experiences at other homes. I am mum's full time carer, she lives with me. So when she went to Hickathrift I could have a rest and feel at peace.

My husband has always enjoyed excellent service from caring and friendly staff, and always looks forward and enjoys his stays; good food and excellent accommodation and caring staff make his stays a pleasure for him.

I would recommend this care home. The staff are always available and my mum is well looked after and very happy with all the services and care provided for her.

Having had a very bad experience at a different Nursing/Care Home. I am above pleased with Hickathrift. Staff are always friendly, got time to talk to anyone also there for help and advice on anything and everything, even over the phone. The home is always clean, warm and very welcoming, not just to people who stay but those who are visiting. I would recommend this Nursing/Care Home to anyone. I hope that if I have to take up residence in a home it will be this one.

Charles has been here for 1 year and has been cared for so well.

Because my mother receives such excellent care from all the staff working there, nothing is ever too much trouble, and Xmas Day lunch with my mother was excellent which was down to Lou in the kitchen and Ceri and Sue.

Submit a Review for Barchester Hickathrift House

March 2015

March 2014

Green Leaf Standard

Recipient: Barchester Hickathrift House

Date: Wednesday 12 Mar 2014

October 2013

Senior Carer

£comp + free training + benefits (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)
Wisbech, Norfolk

Sue

Sue Scarlett

Joined: 2009

I am the General Manager for Hickathrift House, having worked for Barchester for six years. I am a qualified Learning Disability Nurse with a vast experience of working with individuals who are elderly frail or have a diagnosis of dementia. My role is to ensure that all departments within the home work as a team to provide excellent care to the residents, ensuring that all aspects of care are person centered and completely meet the needs of the individual. I have been married for more years than I care to remember and have two children of whom I am extremely proud and a beautiful granddaughter. My hobbies include showing two of my dogs and volunteering for German Shepherd Rescue Elite, as well as spending time with my family and completing craft projects. I am always happy to sit and chat so please drop in and have a cup of tea, the kettle is always on!

Ceri

Ceri Mills

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2009

Ceri has been with Hickathrift House since 2009 and worked her way up to Unit Manager in 2011. She was appointed as the Deputy Manager in 2014 and supports the General Manager within their role. Ceri is responsible for overseeing the day to day running of the home providing clinical support and guidance to the team and ensuring the delivery of care is second to none.

Laura

Laura Archer

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2011

Laura is responsible for the administration of the home as well as providing support to the General Manager. She is supported by Tracey Hills & Kanita Oakey-Kierman, administration assistants, both of which have been with the company 20 years.

Laura is happy to provide guidance and support on all financial matters within the home to both staff and families alike.

Laura, Tracey & Kanita have recently completed their NVQ Level 3 in Business & Administraton.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Wade

Job Title: Unit Manager for Memory Lane

Joined: 1991

Liz works exclusively in driving and delivering the highest standards of care and dignity to all our residents and assists the Manager to offer the kind of support to families and loved ones that is valued so much.

Nigel

Nigel Coleman

Job Title: Head Chef

Joined: 2011

Nigel is responsible for ensuring that our seasonal home cooked menus are great, the food is superb, the home made cakes taste like Granny used to make - and that our residents' diets offer the choice, nutrition and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Sara

Sara Harper

Job Title: Activities Coordinator

Joined: 2010

Sara co-ordinates all the homes activities & events, ranging from 1 to 1 activities to larger events such as fete's. She gets to know all our residents, finding our about their past, what they like and dont like before developing an activities plan for the home that is tailored to our residents wishes.

Sharon

Sharon Wernham

Job Title: Head Housekeeper

Joined: 2015

Sharon joined the team at Hickathrift in May 2015. Her role is to lead the team of housekeepers and laundry staff and to ensure that they all maintain the high standards within the home on a daily basis, in a friendly, considerate manner.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Hickathrift House