Barchester Hickathrift House, Marshland St James, Wisbech, Norfolk
Barchester Hickathrift House
Barchester Hickathrift House

Tel: 01945 430636

Hickathrift House provides first class, person centered care for both our Residential and Memory Lane clients.

Our focus is the individual; our dedicated staff team work closely with families and key professionals to develop a personalized package of care that is regularly reviewed to ensure that it adapts with the individuals changing needs to support and maintain individuality, dignity, privacy and independence.

Our dedication can be seen across the board – in our home cooking, hospitality, housekeeping, administration and in organizing activities for our residents.

Our most recent CQC inspection has shown us to be fully compliant in all areas, a copy of the inspection report is available on request.

Hickathrift House is located in the village of Marshland St James, situated between Wisbech and Kings Lynn. It is approximately 40 minutes from Hunstanton and 30 minutes from Sandringham.

We think you’ll find that we’re ideally suited to meet your needs.

Please feel free to drop in and see us if you’re in the area – the kettle’s always on!

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 52 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • No Medical Intervention • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: An assessment by our team prior to admission. Ages 60+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Barchester Hickathrift House: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Barchester Hickathrift House

(One ground floor single room overlooking the gardens with en-suite located on Memory Lane. We have Day Care & Limited Respite Places available for 2014)
posted 23 hours ago

July 2014

March 2014

Green Leaf Standard

Date: Wednesday 12 Mar 2014

December 2013

October 2013

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.1 for Barchester Hickathrift House) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

Would recommend this care home. One concern - my mother who is 91 years tells me she had elderly residents coming into her room late a night, not suitable.

Submitted by Maurice H (Son of Resident/Service User) on Friday 10 October 2014. Review relates to September 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

Staff friendly and helpful, and my husband is generally happy to go and enjoy his days there. Can sometimes be a little disorganised with personal belongings, but overall very happy with service.

Submitted by Frances M (Wife of Resident/Service User) on Wednesday 27 August 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

My mother has been going to Hickathrift for only a few stays and it is very ,very good. We have had very bad experiences with two other homes, but this home is wonderful in every way.

Submitted by Joan B (Daughter of resident) on Monday 18 August 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

My mother was only in this home for a short time. The family were always warmly welcomed. My mother was always clean and beautifully dressed whenever we visited. The acre they gave her was with compassion and they were aware of all her needs. We could visit at any time. My mother dies suddenly and unexpectedly and arrangements were carried out with dignity and respect.

Submitted by Janice Claxton (Daughter of former Resident) on Tuesday 29 July 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

My mother had her first stay at Hickathrift Care Home. We were very satisfied with her care and it had a very homely family feel. When mum came home she looked very clean and polished. We have had very bad experiences at other homes. I am mum's full time carer, she lives with me. So when she went to Hickathrift I could have a rest and feel at peace.

Submitted by Joan B (Daughter of former resident) on Tuesday 13 May 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

My husband has always enjoyed excellent service from caring and friendly staff, and always looks forward and enjoys his stays; good food and excellent accommodation and caring staff make his stays a pleasure for him.

Submitted by Joan P (Wife of Resident/Service User) on Thursday 3 April 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

I would recommend this care home. The staff are always available and my mum is well looked after and very happy with all the services and care provided for her.

Submitted by Janice Towler (Daughter of Resident) on Monday 10 March 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

Having had a very bad experience at a different Nursing/Care Home. I am above pleased with Hickathrift. Staff are always friendly, got time to talk to anyone also there for help and advice on anything and everything, even over the phone. The home is always clean, warm and very welcoming, not just to people who stay but those who are visiting. I would recommend this Nursing/Care Home to anyone. I hope that if I have to take up residence in a home it will be this one.

Submitted by Sharon Worth (Daughter in law of resident) on Tuesday 25 February 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

Charles has been here for 1 year and has been cared for so well.

Submitted by Marlene M (Partner) on Monday 24 February 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

Because my mother receives such excellent care from all the staff working there, nothing is ever too much trouble, and Xmas Day lunch with my mother was excellent which was down to Lou in the kitchen and Ceri and Sue.

Submitted by Kevin Wilshire (Son of resident) on Thursday 20 February 2014.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

I feel very safe and well looked after at Hickathrift, I feel very happy about the care I'm given, I feel coming to Hickathrift has made my life very happy and I don't have to worry about being alone anymore.

Submitted by Joyce McKay (Resident) on Tuesday 26 March 2013.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

Having been a resident at this home for nearly ten years I consider the care,consideration and overall concern for my well being is above average.

Submitted by Charles R (Resident) on Friday 22 March 2013.

Review of Barchester Hickathrift House

I feel at Hickathrift House i am very well looked after. The staff are kind and also will go the extra mile to help me.

Submitted by Violet H (Resident) on Wednesday 20 March 2013.

Submit a Recommendation for Barchester Hickathrift House

(please write a short headline summary)

There are no jobs posted yet for Barchester Hickathrift House

Jayne

Jayne Masterson

Joined: 2014

My name is Jayne Masterson and I am pleased to have joined Barchester healthcare and the team at Hickathrift House in October 2014.

I am a qualified Registered Manager with vast experience of working with the elderly, a role I thoroughly enjoy, especially learning about each individual resident. My main role at Hickathrift is to oversee the day to day running of the whole home, and to work with everyone who lives, works or visits Hickathrift, ensuring that they are happy with the home.

I hope to ensure that Hickathrift remains an integral part of the community and to maintain involvement with local organisations within the village so they remain a part of our lives at Hickathrift.

Ceri

Ceri Mills

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2009

Ceri has been with Hickathrift House since 2009 and worked her way up to Unit Manager in 2011. She was appointed as the Deputy Manager in 2014 and supports the General Manager within their role. Ceri is responsible for overseeing the day to day running of the home providing clinical support and guidance to the team and ensuring the delivery of care is second to none.

Laura

Laura Archer

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2011

Laura is responsible for the administration of the home as well as providing support to the General Manager. She is supported by Tracey Hills & Kanita Oakey-Kierman, administration assistants, both of which have been with the company 20 years.

Laura is happy to provide guidance and support on all financial matters within the home to both staff and families alike.

Laura, Tracey & Kanita are now in the process of working towards their NVQ Level 3 in Business & Administraton.

Liz

Liz Wade

Job Title: Unit Manager for Memory Lane

Joined: 1991

Liz works exclusively in driving and delivering the highest standards of care and dignity to all our residents and assists the Manager to offer the kind of support to families and loved ones that is valued so much.

Nigel

Nigel Coleman

Job Title: Head Chef

Joined: 2011

Nigel is responsible for ensuring that our seasonal home cooked menus are great, the food is superb, the home made cakes taste like Granny used to make - and that our residents' diets offer the choice, nutrition and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Gemma

Gemma Cooper

Job Title: Head Housekeeper

Joined: 2011

Gemma joined Hickathrift House in August 2011 and has worked in many different departments within the home. Gemma was promoted to Head Housekeeper in September 2014 and is currently working towards an NVQ 2 in Housekeeping. Gemma's role is to ensure that the home is kept clean and tidy to a high standard with the help of her team.

Marilyn

Marilyn Strand

Job Title: Head of Laundry

Joined: 1992

Marilyn joined Hickathrift House in 1992 as a housekeeper and started the Laundry in 1998, moving up at the head of the laundry department in 2005. She ensures her team provide a well run laundry service.

Robin

Robin Dunn

Job Title: Head of Maintenance

Joined: 2011

Robin has been with Hickathrift House since November 2011 and is supported in his role by Barry Cordery, the Maintenance Assistant and Gerry Horobin, the Gardener. Together they are responsible for the upkeep of all aspects of the Home including interior decorating. Robin is also responsible for the Health and Safety of the home.

Tina

Tina Fish

Job Title: Activities Co-Ordinator

Joined: 2007

Tina co-ordinates all the homes activities & events, ranging from 1 to 1 activities to larger events such as fete's. They get to know all our residents, finding our about their past, what they like and dont like before developing an activities plan for the home that is tailored to our residents wishes.

Sara

Sara Harper

Job Title: Activities Coordinator

Joined: 2010

Sara co-ordinates all the homes activities & events, ranging from 1 to 1 activities to larger events such as fete's. They get to know all our residents, finding our about their past, what they like and dont like before developing an activities plan for the home that is tailored to our residents wishes.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Hickathrift House