Barchester Hickathrift House

217 Smeeth Road, Marshland St James, Wisbech PE14 8JB

Barchester Hickathrift House, Wisbech, Norfolk

Hickathrift House provides first class, person centered care for both Residential and Memory Lane clients.

The focus is the individual; with a dedicated staff team working closely with families and key professionals to develop a personalized package of care that is regularly reviewed to ensure that it adapts with the individuals changing needs to support and maintain individuality, dignity, privacy and independence.

Their dedication can be seen across the board – in their home cooking, hospitality, housekeeping, administration and in organizing activities for residents.

Hickathrift House is located in the village of Marshland St James, situated between Wisbech and Kings Lynn. It is approximately 40 minutes from Hunstanton and 30 minutes from Sandringham.

Professionals think you’ll find that they’re ideally suited to meet your needs.

Please feel free to drop in and see them if you’re in the area – the kettle’s always on!

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Jackalynne Shields (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 52 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • No Medical Intervention • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: An assessment by our team prior to admission. Ages 60+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Barchester Hickathrift House: click here

posted 15 Sep 2016

We have respite bookings available from November 2016 from £875.00 per week

9.3 Barchester Hickathrift House has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.271)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Hickathrift House is based on 20 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.271 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.502 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.769 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.271 for Barchester Hickathrift House is based on 20 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.502 for Barchester Hickathrift House is calculated as follows: ( (143 Excellents x 5) + (74 Goods x 4) + (21 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 239 Ratings = 4.502

The Quantity Score of 4.769 for Barchester Hickathrift House is calculated as follows:

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Hickathrift House?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Hickathrift House

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

The Overall Average of all the Ratings in the following

8 Reviews* is 4.2 out of 5

*The Average Rating only uses ratings from the 8 reviews. Ratings from the 12 recommendations are not used for the Average Rating as the rating options were limited to Excellent, Good and Satisfactory.

I find that the Staff go out of their way to make my mum very comfortable and happy at Hickathrift House.
I would and do recommend this care home to people I know without hesitation. It is by far one of the better homes in the Wisbech area.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Hickathrift House? Extremely Likely

Ceri Mills, Deputy Manager at Barchester Hickathrift House responded to this review on 24 Aug 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely compliment and expressing your appreciation for the team here at Hickathrift House. I have shared your comments with everyone that is involved in Mum's care. I can tell you it means a great deal to each and every one of them and makes me incredibly proud as their manager. We consistently strive to provide top quality care and so to hear from those using our services that they feel happy and satisfied is always satisfying. It is always a great pleasure for me to share this feedback with the whole team here.

This is a good home but it very much depends on the resident. Some will speak up if there is a problem some do not, despite being told continuously, just ask. I feel for this type of resident they need to be asked specific questions. Are they feeling well or have they any pains or worries. When being washed to look out for any sore patches, ie bottoms and ask does your bottom feel sore and act accordingly. Also, ears are another issue. I understand that you are not allowed to poke the inner ear but you can ask the resident to take a cloth and clean their inner ear. Another question would be can you hear ok and replace batteries and wipe the earpiece and if necessary requesting any maintenance especially replacement of the tube which gets clogged with wax. Having eaten there myself I was not at all impressed with the food, I am well aware of difficulties with heat, again residents differ and having a meal spoilt this way is unnecessary. Common sense should be applied. They are individuals.

Food & Drink: Poor

Ceri Mills, Deputy Manager at Barchester Hickathrift House responded to this review on 31 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of Hickathrift House. It was lovely to hear that you would be extremely likely to recommend us to other people that may be looking for a long-term home for their loved one.

I was saddened to hear you have been experiencing some issues and I am pleased that during our phone conversation today that I was able to resolve these. Since our conversation, I have discussed your concerns with the Senior staff that look after Mum and I hope, going forward you will see an improvement. We are in the process of implementing the Keyworker scheme, so you will receive more communication regarding Mum and her care. At Barchester Healthcare we encourage people (residents, their family/relatives or representatives) to express their views about the quality of care and services we provide and to raise any concerns or complaints with us freely. If you have any more questions or queries please pop and see me.

My mother has been here for three years and is well cared for. All the carers are kind and helpful.

My mother suffers with vascular dementia and all the staff have a great deal of patience with her.

Susan Scarlett, General Manager at Barchester Hickathrift House responded to this review on 25 May 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely compliment and expressing your appreciation for the team here at Hickathrift House. I have shared your comments with everyone that is involved in your care. I can tell you it means a great deal too each and every one of them and makes me incredibly proud as their manager. We consistently strive to provide top quality care and so to hear from those using our services that they feel happy and satisfied is always satisfying. It is always a great pleasure for me to share this feedback with the whole team here.

I stayed at Hickathrift for two and a half weeks whilst my daughter went on holiday. When I asked for different food that was not on the menu staff were happy to oblige, eg Egg sandwiches unfortunately I was on the first floor which needed a lift, which was really tiny and claustrophobic. It also broke down for two days and I had to have my meals in my room. I would have liked a bath and some of my laundry was difficult to find. I liked the chatty staff who were good company.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Hickathrift House? Likely

Susan Scarlett, General Manager at Barchester Hickathrift House responded to this review on 15 Jun 2016:

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Unfortunately, at the time of your visit we were having ongoing issues with the lift to the first floor, however, a new lift is being installed week commencing 27th June which will ensure that all residents are able to access the ground floor. In addition, usually individuals who come to the home for a holiday, stay in our designated ground floor room but on this occasion that room was already in use meaning that we were unable to accommodate you in this room. It is also very nice to hear such lovely compliments and expressing your appreciation for the staff here at Hickathrift House. I have shared your comments with everyone that was involved in your care. I can tell you it means a great deal too each and every one of them and makes me incredibly proud as their manager. We consistently strive to provide top quality care and so to hear from those using our services that they feel happy and satisfied is always satisfying. It is always a great pleasure for me to share this feedback with the whole team here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

The staff at Hickathrift could not be more caring, their attention to detail is excellent. With the forthcoming addition of a lounge to the facilities on Memory Lane, this will give a real home from home feel. My Mum could not be in safer hands, she is as happy as she can be within the confines of Dementia, which is all I could ask. The activity program is varied, however it would be appreciated if more musical content could be included as music reaches every patient on varying levels and enhances their well being even further. The staff are continually inventive in their efforts to enhance the residents well being and should be commended for their commitment and dedication. Residents families are kept involved through meeting and events which adds to the feeling of still being involved in caring for a loved one which is vitally important for all concerned. A heartfelt thank you Hickathrift House staff for everything you do, my family are indebted to you all for caring for our Mum.

Susan Scarlett, General Manager at Barchester Hickathrift House responded to this review on 09 May 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely compliment and expressing your appreciation for the team here at Hickathrift House. I have shared your comments with everyone that is involved and I can tell you it means a great deal to each and every one of them and makes me incredibly proud as their manager.

We are really looking forward to the addition of the new lounge to the Memory Lane community and we know it will make a difference to the lives of the residents that live here. I will take on board your comments regarding the musical content, we are aware that the addition of Music Therapy with Trudie since the beginning of 2016 has made a difference to the lives of our residents and we will continue to work to improve this aspect of activities.

Whilst nowhere is perfect, having looked at many homes we are confident that Hickathrift offers a safe, friendly and caring environment.

Any concerns are listened to by the Care Manager and addressed.

Overall, we would recommend the home.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a lovely review and expressing your appreciation for the team here at Hickathrift House.

I have shared your comments with everyone that is involved in Dad's care. I can tell you it means a great deal to each and every one of them and makes me incredibly proud as their manager.

Staff are kind to residents and give them time. Only concerns - clothes can get muddled, but resolved ok. Sometimes unable to find staff when required, especially bank holidays, possibly working on minimum staff (understandably) but would prefer to see more staff at these times. Elderly very vulnerable and falls etc could happen without anyone being around to assist. Most residents seem to be happy. Food seems ok but again bank holidays not so good.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Hickathrift House? Likely

Susan Scarlett, General Manager at Barchester Hickathrift House responded to this review on 31 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your recent review of Hickathrift House. The home is staffed to the correct levels at all times; including bank holidays and weekends but there are occasions when staff may be assisting a resident and therefore are not always immediately visable. Staffing levels are reveiwed monthly and reflect the needs of the residents that are in the home. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to pop in and see me at any time.

My mother moved into Hickathrift Care Home in March 2011. Although we experienced some difficulties, her time at the home was met with enthusiastic staff. My mum enjoyed the last years of her life within a caring home and it is through this I have some very fond memories. The staff were very understanding and showed a great sensitivity to any complaints or issues we raised. During the end of my mothers life I could not have asked for any better are. She was given great respect, dignity as we were as a family.

No Average Rating is available*

My dad was admitted with dementia but also has restricted sight and uses British sign language as his preferred method of communication. Normally he feel isolated amongst hearing people but the staff go out of their way to try and integrate Dad within the home. They are trying to learn signs to make him feel part of the home and he is now the best I have known him over the past 5 years. The family now do not have to worry that he is safe and being cared for by people who care.

No Average Rating is available*

My mum's condition has deteriorated quite quickly and during the last four years previous to her going into Hickathrift House she had been very agitated and angry. I believe that she has found a sense of peace there, the staff are very attentive and caring. It is a well run home and you are made to feel like you are still part of the caring team. They always have time for you and any concerns that you may have. It came recommended to me and I would recommend it you.

My husband has been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease for 6 years. He has been a resident of Hickathrift for 3 years. As a compulsorily retired GP , he was not the easiest or necessarily the most compliant resident initially, however he has been handled extremely sensitively throughout his period there. Last Christmas I spent 2 months in Australia with my 3 daughters and their families. On return I learned that my husband had become emotionally involved with a female resident. This was the second time this had happened. The staff dealt with my both my personal distress and my husband and his new attachment with great empathy and sensitivity. It was an exercise in good management of a very delicate situation. I shall always be grateful to them.

Of all the care homes I visited whilst searching for a place for my husband I chose Hickathrift for it's light, clean, airy, cheerful atmosphere and excellent rooms (each with a bathroom, toilet en-suite which I felt was so important). However, it was the staff who impressed me most and in spite of changes have always shown a consistently high standard of commitment. All this may sound very glowing ,but it is my own experience . This is what gives me peace of mind.

No Average Rating is available*

My grandmother lived at Hickathrift for 9 years and classed it as her home. The staff provided 100% care and her surroundings were more of a hotel and not a residential home. She was treated with the utmost dignity and nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff. Sadly she has now passed away but as a family we know if it hadn't been for the top rate care she received she would not have had the last 9 years still with us. Any residential home can have a good name, but without the brilliant staff as like Hickathrift it wouldn't really count,it is the staff who care that counts.

No Average Rating is available*

I usually visit my mother in the afternoon. Yesterday I went along in the morning. When I arrived, a care assistant was in Mum's room, at her side, helping her to eat a biscuit and chatting to Mum in a lovely, friendly manner. My mother has dementia and struggles to eat. It was so reassuring to see Mum enjoying some individual attention and being treated as we would care for her were she still at home.

No Average Rating is available*

My Mother in law attends Day Care and also for longer periods of respite. The staff are very helpful, friendly and care about my Husband & I as well as Mother in law. I feel very confident leaving her in their hands.

No Average Rating is available*

My Uncle has been in this home for a year, we have had only good things to say about Hickathrift. A wonderful homely and friendly atmosphere with much support for my Uncle from the fantastic staff. I have care of my Uncle and never have any queries about leaving him in the care of this home.

No Average Rating is available*

I have been coming to Hickathrift for over a year with an Aunt in memory here and Uncle in the normal unit. It has been a joy to see my uncle so happy and contented. The staff have been wonderful to him and helped him through his bereavement. The staff are so wonderful to me and make you feel so cheerful and pleased to visit. I love to be able to come and have lunch with my uncle. Its a really homely home and I am delighted with the care

No Average Rating is available*

I find the place and staff incredible. The place does not smell like a care home and has such a happy atmosphere, it is a happy place. The staff make it happy when I visit I feel happy and Pat is so happy. Pat has been so happy there and still is. She has a lovely room and there is always something going on to keep everyone stimulated. The food is like a five star hotel with choices on the menu. I really like going to visit as it doesn't smell of an old peoples home. I hope there is somewhere here when I need a place in the future.

No Average Rating is available*

Whilst my dad was in respite care (he now is a full time resident at Hickathrift), he was always treated with respect and dignity. The staff appeared to work hard for the residents, from activity workers to carers, to catering staff, gardeners and management. It is a very hard decision to leave a parent within a care home, but I felt his needs were well catered for at Hickathrift.

No Average Rating is available*

We have nothing but praise for the caring team at Hickathrift. My aunt recently passed away whilst a resident here and the love and care given to her was amazing. My uncle is still a resident, his support and care is amazing!

No Average Rating is available*

Would recommend this care home. One concern - my mother who is 91 years tells me she had elderly residents coming into her room late a night, not suitable.

Submit a Review for Barchester Hickathrift House

October 2013

Jackalynne

Jackalynne Shields

Joined: 2016

Prior to joining Hickathrift House in September 2016, I worked for the same company for 15 years, starting out working part time in an independent hospital. Over the years I have worked at various different sites, and in wide-ranging roles gaining experience working with diverse teams and customers. My drive has always been to ensure that the service I deliver is of a high quality and person centred. I strive to enhance and improve the lives of those we support by delivering personalised high quality service to our residents.

Ceri

Ceri Mills

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2009

Ceri has been with Hickathrift House since 2009 and worked her way up to Unit Manager in 2011. She was appointed as the Deputy Manager in 2014 and supports the General Manager within their role. Ceri is responsible for overseeing the day to day running of the home providing clinical support and guidance to the team and ensuring the delivery of care is second to none.

Kirsty

Kirsty Wiskin

Job Title: Head of Community - Residential

Joined: 2008

Kirsty started at the home in 2008 as a Care Assistant and worked her way up to Senior Care Assistant in 2011. During her time here she has gained her NVQ 2 in Health & Social Care and is now working towards NVQ 3.

Kirsty works exclusively in driving and delivering the highest standards of care and dignity to all our residents and assists the Manager to offer the kind of support to families and loved ones that is valued so much.

Paula

Paula Green

Job Title: Head of Community - Memory Lane

Joined: 2015

Paula joined the home in 2015 with vast knowledge and experience in working with the elderly, she was promoted to Head of Community in April 2016.

Paula works exclusively in driving and delivering the highest standards of care and dignity to all our residents and assists the Manager to offer the kind of support to families and loved ones that is valued so much.

Laura

Laura Archer

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2011

Laura is responsible for the administration of the home as well as providing support to the General Manager.
She is supported by Tracey Hills & Kanita Oakey-Kierman, administrative assistants, both of which have been with the company over 23 years.

Laura is happy to provide guidance and support on all financial matters within the home to both staff and families alike.

Laura, Tracey & Kanita have all gained an NVQ Level 3 in Business & Administration.

Nigel

Nigel Coleman

Job Title: Head Chef

Joined: 2011

Nigel is responsible for ensuring that our seasonal home cooked menus are great, the food is superb, the home made desserts taste like Granny used to make - and that our residents' diets offer the choice, nutrition and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Tracey

Tracey Everitt

Job Title: Activities Coordinator

Joined: 2015

Tracey co-ordinates all the homes activities & events, ranging from 1 to 1 activities to larger events such as fete's. She gets to know all our residents, finding our about their past, what they like and dont like before developing an activities plan for the home that is tailored to our residents wishes.

Haydn

Haydn Hammond

Job Title: Head of Maintenance

Joined: 2014

Haydn joined Barchester in 2014 as a maintenance assistant at a new build home, Braeburn Lodge. He transferred to Hickathrift House in February 2016.

Haydn's main priorities are to promote the safety, comfort and wellbeing of the residents by ensuring that their home and the equipment within are maintained to a high standard and fully funtional at all times.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Hickathrift House