Murdoch House Care Home, Wokingham, Berkshire

Murdoch House Care Home is a renovated Tudor-style property that offers both residential and respite care, from a talented and efficient team of caregivers.

The home's policy is to appreciate the personal wishes and independence of residents, looking to empower their lifestyles throughout their retirement without falling short of care standards.

Murdoch House has well-planted gardens and a conservatory where residents enjoy relaxing during the summer weather, with relatives often welcome to join the home's meal nights and enjoy the company of their loved ones.

Murdoch House Care Home also offer short-stay respite care that can be booked up to a year in advance, which can be helpful when planning holidays and short breaks.

Group: Four Seasons Health Care

Person in charge: Christine Tyrrell (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wokingham Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 27 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Murdoch House Care Home: click here

9.8 Murdoch House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.779)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Murdoch House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 25 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Murdoch House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.779 for Murdoch House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (229 Excellents x 5) + (58 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 290 Ratings = 4.779

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Murdoch House Care Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 5.4 positive Reviews (27 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 5.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Murdoch House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Murdoch House Care Home

My grandmother moved in roughly about 4 years ago and it took no more than a few minutes visit to be reassured of the caring nature and commitment of the staff.

It seems that there is nothing that they will stop at to help us and make the residents feel more comfortable. There is a real family atmosphere within the facility and the dedication is evident from the staff through to the managers.

We were truly blessed that my grandmother was able to spend her final 4 years at this location.

Activities: Don't Know

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Murdoch House Care Home responded to this review on 06 Oct 2017:

Thank you, Derek, for your kind comments about your recent experience at Murdoch House Care Home. Our residents’ well-being is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised.

I very much enjoyed my 10-day stay. Nothing was too much trouble for all the caring staff who without exception were respectful, kind and caring they really do care so Murdoch House is truly a care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Murdoch House Care Home responded to this review on 11 Sep 2017:

Thank you, David, for your kind comments following your stay with us at Murdoch House Care Home. Our residents’ well-being is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised.

I am extremely pleased with the care my mother receives at Murdoch House. I know when I come away after visiting that she will be valued and respectfully treated.

The staff have become good friends with my mother and my family member. I feel confident that she will always be listened to and encouraged to make the most of each day.

The atmosphere is always cheerful and uplifting, just what elderly folks need.

The rooms are comfortable and "homely". Spotless and peaceful.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Murdoch House Care Home responded to this review on 29 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your comments about your recent experience at Murdoch House Care Home. Our residents’ well-being is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised.

I would like to say that I am extremely happy with the care that my mother in law gets at Murdoch House. The staff are excellent and treat everyone the same, in fact, it is so good I would go there myself.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Carl Duncker, Marketing Manager at Murdoch House Care Home responded to this review on 17 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments, John. We're happy your experience of the staff is excellent.

On all my visits to Murdoch House, I have always been impressed by the cheery, helpful staff - all of them - who, I know, looked after my cousin with good humour, professionalism and great care.
I also know that my cousin was very happy and content at Murdoch House, which is the most important thing.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Out aunt came to live with us from a care home in Chichester, it was very expensive and our aunt was very unhappy.
We took our aunt to Murdoch House for respite and she loved it.
So this year, again she went for respite and they put her in a permanent room, as then if she wanted to stay she could, which she did!
She is extremely happy, which makes us very happy too.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother's stay (over a year) was a settled and enjoyable one. The staff work hard and in good spirits which helps immensely for the residents own well being. Residents can participate in whatever they choose or simply amuse themselves on a day to day basis, though events are planned continually.
The house is warm, friendly and a good safe environment and I would definitely recommend it.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lovely en suite room, nice pleasant staff, food good, my family always welcome. Happy as can be. This home deserves a medal!

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother is a resident at Murdoch House and I feel confident knowing that she receives the best possible care which is very comforting being as I am so far away. On my various visits to Murdoch House, I couldn't help but notice the kindness/patience and exceptional care of the staff. Regardless of how busy they are - there is always a friendly smile and a good happy atmosphere at Murdoch House. Another thing I should mention is the great food served up each and every day. Friends and family visit my mum and email me often telling me how happy and well looked after my Mother is. My thanks to the manager and all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum decided after 50+ years in her own flat that she wanted to go into a care home where she would be cared for on a 24-hour basis. She subsequently went into Murdoch House Care Home and could not be happier and neither could her immediate family. Murdoch House Care Home generates a real family atmosphere where everyone is on first name terms (staff and residents). The staff are very caring and considerate to all individual needs (both reasonable and unreasonable). Mum also says,"the food is very good!" Most of all she is happy in her new home.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunt is very happy at Murdoch House. She said she was very happy to have found it! It is clean and her room is very comfortable, with a lovely view of the garden. It is a pleasure to visit her there, welcomed by cheerful staff with a tray of refreshments.
There is a beautiful notice board with lots of activities and outings.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunt is extremely happy here at Murdoch House and settled in very quickly. The staff are very kind and helpful, food is wonderful, she loves sitting in the garden and has made friends with some of the residents.

I'm treated like family by the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

We are so lucky we found Murdoch House for Auntie, it is a lovely friendly caring home for her to live. she tells you its like home from home,she enjoys the food and there are lots of activities but auntie said she doesn't always join in. We are always offered a tray of refreshments when we get there, Auntie says the staff can't do enough for you and you only have to ask. Its lovely and clean with no unpleasant odours,
Her room over looks the beautiful garden. My aunt said she wouldn't want to be anywhere else, she very happy, they are all so kind and caring and she said she feels safe.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

It's a very homely home, I came in as respite and now staying permanent, staff very helpful, treated with dignity. I would not want to be anywhere else, they are so kind, nothing too much trouble. Food is nice, home cooking just what I like.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has just spent a week's respite care at Murdoch House while my husband and I went away on holiday.

My overriding impression is of the wonderful staff who made us feel at ease immediately and helped everything go smoothly all along the way.

The staff were cheerful, polite, and communicative.

The respite room my mother stayed in was large and bright with an ensuite shower and toilet. As well as a bed and adequate storage there were 2 arm chairs facing the television and a dining type chair. Everything was spotlessly clean.

Even though my Mum was only there for a week a hairdresser visited and cut my Mum's hair and the entertainment director took my my Mum for a walk outside in a wheelchair.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Murdoch House is like home from home. The atmosphere is always welcoming and inviting. My mums been at Murdoch House for three and a half years and she will be 102 in October she is so well cared for I cannot thank them enough.
I feel so comfortable when I visit mum, the staff are so nice and always have time for a chat, it like visiting her at home.
Refreshments are always offered as soon as I walk in the door, couldn't wish for any where better.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mum spent only a short time in Murdoch House, convalescing in the respite room they keep aside for short term care, after she suffered a fall at home. She was delighted to discover that Murdoch House is not like the typical image of a care home. The residents are active and spend their time as they please, either in their rooms (where meals are served if they wish), or socialising together. She was full of praise for all the staff and enjoyed her trips around town with the activities co-ordinator.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy living at Murdoch House. The staff are very helpful, kind and caring. I enjoy the meals and the choice of food offered. I am as happy as I can be.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I'm fortunate to have my wife live locally able to visit daily. The management and staff have made my wife and I very welcome and have gone that extra mile to make us comfortable.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is a very nice place. The staff treat my friend nicely. They are very friendly. The staff are very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Visited for the first time, very pleasantly surprised. Nothing like some of the care homes I've visited. It smelt nice! Very homely and there were residents everywhere not just in chairs around the lounge. I liked the fresh flowers in the home - not artificial :-))

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very friendly, good service, look after you.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

The key reason we chose Murdoch House for my mother was that both I and my sister felt this was a place where she would genuinely be cared for and treated with dignity. It must now be approximately three years since she came and nothing has occurred to change our initial view. It may not be modern or have the latest technology but there is genuine humanity and care, which is of paramount importance.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was a resident at Murdoch House from 2nd April 2015- October 21st 2015 before she died. She had a lovely stay there and was cared for by brilliant staff, nothing was too much trouble for them.

How likely would you be to recommend Murdoch House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I would highly recommend Murdoch house to anyone looking for residential care. All the staff are extremely friendly and caring towards residents. There are a variety of activities on each week although not all want to participate all the time. My friend is happy here and has made some good friends, she enjoys sitting with her friend at meal times. There is a good choice of healthy well balanced meals each week and requests can be made if residents don't fancy what is on the menu.

Submit a Review for Murdoch House Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Murdoch House Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Murdoch House Care Home