Broadwater Lodge, Godalming, Surrey

Broadwater Lodge, in Godalming, Surrey, is a modern and innovative care facility that offers a number of services to local elderly and frail residents, adopting a person-centred approach that respects individual freedoms.

The home has room for up to 67 occupants, all of whom receive their own dedicated care package with access to GPs and key workers, whilst also functioning as a day care centre which contributes to a good social atmosphere.

Recent investment from owners, Care UK, has seen a new wing added to Broadwater Lodge that is dedicated to looking after adults with dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Angela Bookham (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 67 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Broadwater Lodge: click here

7.9 Broadwater Lodge has a Review Score of 7.9 (7.863)

The Review Score of 7.9 (maximum of 10) for Broadwater Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Broadwater Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.4 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.464 for Broadwater Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (45 Excellents x 5) + (33 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 84 Ratings = 4.464

The 3.399 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Broadwater Lodge is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 13.4 positive Reviews (67 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 13.4 Target = 0.149

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Broadwater Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Broadwater Lodge

My mum has been at Broadwater Lodge for nearly a year now and given all the circumstances, I don't think she could be in a better place. I am so relieved she is living in a safe and secure environment, with friendly staff that really do care and will always go that extra mile when necessary. They keep me updated on my mum's health issues and her doctor is excellent. I have no hesitation in recommending.

How likely would you be to recommend Broadwater Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mum went into Broadwater Lodge after being in hospital for 3 months. My dad has followed, so it is lovely for them to be together. Everyone at "B" is so lovely and friendly and so caring. Nothing is too much trouble and for family, it is very scary to have to put your parents into a home. It is like a home from home and with caring people, you realise they are being cared for and attended to for all their needs. Right through from management down to cleaners, everyone is part of the team that places everything together and they do everything they can physically do to help their residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Broadwater Lodge? Extremely Likely

Attended both to visit my brother and speak to the Doctor at her request annual and updating instructions in an emergency. I found my brother up and about content with a cup of tea and friends. A resident who appeared to be waking up he asked if she was asleep? Generally, I feel he is happy and secure here it's probably where he'll live out the rest of his life. I like to come once a month or so though I know he's not expecting me and won't know I've been. I still think it's important to visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Broadwater Lodge? Extremely Likely

I'm really pleased to have mum at Broadwater Lodge, everyone is extremely kind and caring towards mum and they show her a great deal of love and comfort. Mum's had quite a few problems, all of which have been dealt with professionally and with great care.
When staff call they all start with "Hi it's ( ), there's nothing to worry about." Which is always comforting, no matter what the call is about, the staff always try to make it as positive as possible to reassure me, they've seen it all before and not to worry!

Mum especially enjoys the "Stumbling Inn Pub" within the care home. We held her 90th birthday party there and all the staff were very helpful and we all had a wonderful time as a family. One of mums carers was talking about the queen also turning 90 and said "I bet you wish you had her wealth". Mum said "No, I doubt she is as happy as I am here". Which says it all.

How likely would you be to recommend Broadwater Lodge? Extremely Likely

The centre is run efficiently and in a positive manner. Security is in place that the safety of residents and staff and visitors is of paramount importance. The staff do a good job within the financial limits of the centre. All the staff are positive, caring and diligent about their duties. The food cooked on site is well prepared and wholesome. The day centre activities are varied and interesting, a good variety. The home has a changing theme of activities and displays about the place. I am happy that my wife is being looked after safely and with compassion. I am now able to sleep easily at night and not be worried what I may wake up to. Many thanks to the whole centre.

How likely would you be to recommend Broadwater Lodge? Likely

Always found the staff to be friendly and cheerful to residents as well as visitors. They are caring and patient with even the most difficult residents, allowing them dignity. The food here is plentiful and varied, carefully prepared. The building is homely and well decorated, the staff participate in decorating for any and special events.

How likely would you be to recommend Broadwater Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mum came to Broadwater Lodge in February last year. The care mum gets is very very good and my mum is happy there. The staff are All very kind and helpful and go out of there way to help, not just the residents but the relatives are always welcome to ask questions and get help if there is anything that we are worried about. The food always looks nice and appetising. I would recommend this care home to anybody who is looking for a kind and caring home to put there loved one in.

Submit a Review for Broadwater Lodge

December 2016

November 2016

Angela Bookham

Joined: 1994

Angela Bookham started work at Broadwater Lodge in 1994 as a care worker and, after a spell at our sister home Jubilee House, returned as manager in early 2012.

As a child, I always wanted to be a nurse, but my mother strictly forbade it and insisted that, like my sister, I would take secretarial training. However, it wasn’t long before I decided to pursue my true calling and, at the age of 16, became a carer at an orphanage. I went on to join Broadwater Lodge in 1994 as a care worker, but was quickly promoted through the ranks to team leader and on to deputy manager. After a spell at our sister home, Jubilee House which is a few miles away, I returned to Broadwater Lodge as manager in 2012.

I really love this job and the opportunities it gives me to make a positive difference to people’s lives. I always strive to put myself in the shoes of residents. More and more people are being diagnosed with dementia, so this is an enormous issue which many of us will face at some point in life. I passionately believe in giving people the level of care and attention I would like to receive if I were in their place.

I’m really proud of the atmosphere we have created at Broadwater Lodge – I’d describe it as a ‘home from home’ and that’s often the first thing people say when they walk through the door. Indeed, one family based in Bournemouth was so impressed by Broadwater Lodge that they chose us over other homes closer to where they live.

Every day is different here, and that’s down to the work of our three excellent activity coordinators. They do a great job working with the residents, understanding what they want to do and coming up with new and exciting ideas. One of the best was a Mad Hatter’s Tea Party which we held for the Jubilee. I was new at the time, but was tremendously impressed by the imagination and dedication everyone showed in putting it together. It’s moments like those that make Broadwater Lodge a very special place to be.

Angela celebrates 20 years of service
Broadwater Lodge’s very popular home manager Angela Bookham reached a very important milestone. She has been providing quality and expert care to her residents for 20 years.

The management of Care UK and Angela’s many colleagues send their congratulations and they look forward to working with her for many years to come.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Broadwater Lodge