Berry Pomeroy

26/28 Compton Street, Eastbourne BN21 4EN

Berry Pomeroy is a dual Victorian house that has been lovingly converted to suit the challenges of residential care.

Homely features and comfortable furnishings can be tailored to residents' choice, while there are spacious lounge and dining areas, a private garden and a summerhouse.

Assisted bathing helps clients with mobility issues and all care provision is well-thought through to suit the individual. The home also looks to uphold Christian values.

Owner: Berry Pomeroy Home For Elderly People

Person in charge: Nicole Pollard (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 25 Service Users

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £650 – £800 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Berry Pomeroy to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Berry Pomeroy: click here

The Review Score of 7.2 (maximum of 10) for Berry Pomeroy is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Berry Pomeroy in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 2.5 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 2 years. (A 2 year period has been used as there were no positive reviews in the last 12 months)

The Average Rating of 4.667 for Berry Pomeroy is calculated as follows: ( (120 Excellents x 5) + (41 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 168 Ratings = 4.667

The 2.5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Berry Pomeroy is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 24 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 4 then divided by 2 = 2.000

2. Target of 5 positive Reviews (25 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 5 Target Reached = 1 , then divided by 2 = 0.500

7.2 Berry Pomeroy has a Review Score of 7.2 (7.167) from 14 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Berry Pomeroy?

Reviewer Connection to Berry Pomeroy

My mother, who is 99 years old, broke her arm and came to Berry Pomeroy 16/11/2016 after spending 3 weeks in hospital. When she arrived, she was unable to do anything so as you can see from my remarks we are delighted with the care and commitment that the complete team at Berry Pomeroy show and give to the residents. My mother is so happy and contented that she has decided to sell her flat and move into Berry Pomeroy permanently which is a peace of mind for her children. When I say 'night night' to Mum, I know she is going to be well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

Very friendly home. Staff always smiling and helpful to my gran. Plenty going on to entertain the residents and give them stimulation. Gran says food is good and very varied.
Can't thank you to the team enough knowing they are looking after my gran when the family are not there.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

With only eight months experience I can say that I am very happy here. The care is kind, personal and generally excellent. I enjoy the various activities. The food, I must admit, is not "perfect" but it is generally good and imaginative and I very much appreciate the hot drinks etc in between meals.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

The staff really stood out for us with their smiles, support, helpfulness and going the extra mile. Mum stayed for respite for three weeks and everyone bent over backwards to make the stay as good as possible at a difficult time for time for us. We really appreciated the friendliness and flexibility of the manager and nothing was too much trouble. It is a great location near the sea with nice local shops just opposite.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

Our auntie was admitted to Berry Pomeroy in July. She was met from the taxi by staff and was immediately welcomed which was very important to us as we were unable to be with her as it was organised quickly. She has settled well there and is very happy with the care she has been given and is obviously very fond of the staff. We have been welcomed when we visit her. We were delighted to see how improved she was when we visited. She had her sparkle back, was much more mobile, independent and much more lucid, remembering much more. We are very pleased with the care she is getting. All the staff are really caring and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

My mother became a resident at Berry Pomeroy in 2005, at the age of 90. During this time I was living overseas, so it was really good to know that she was being so well looked after. Each time we came home, she would praise the attitude of the staff who responded well to her various needs, and sometimes her odd requests!! Consequently, after she died nine years later, and my aunt needed respite care at Christmas and I had no hesitation in recommending Berry Pomeroy. Unfortunately, my aunt wasn't well, but once again the staff rose to the occasion, and BP became her permanent home. She has now been there twenty months and we the family have been delighted to see how happy she is, and how well she has responded to BP's care. A big thank you to all concerned.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

The staff are very caring. The rooms are always very clean and tidy.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

My wife and I, on our last visit, found my mother happy, and well looked after. Her key worker and all the carers are friendly and attentive to her needs. Her room was clean and tidy as was the bathroom.
The menu was a good selection with alternatives. She is always helped by a carer as she has a zimmer to the dining room for meals. There is a list in her room for daily activities if she wishes to attend, she is checked on regularly, and staff are always friendly and cheerful.
If she has a fall or is unwell, I am always contacted by phone, which gives me and my wife peace of mind.
My mother will have been in Berry Pomeroy, four years this coming May. She is very happy, well looked after. I am extremely grateful to the managers.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

I visit my mother often. I have found her very happy and enjoying the care and consideration she receives. Mum has been at the home for nearly a year now and has nothing but nice things to say about the establishment.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

Our mother's care appears to be very good with the care staff knowing her needs well. The home is always clean and odourless. Menus are varied.
We have been concerned that there have been staff shortages but this hasn't affected our mother's care.
The bigger concern is that the registered manager and deputy manager are both leaving in May. We have also had a new finance manager in January and a new activities lady joined this month. One of the reasons for choosing this home was the small turnover of staff. Hope this is only a blip, not a trend!!

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Likely

Mrs Gemma Chareka, Regsitered Manager at Berry Pomeroy responded to this review on 13 Apr 2016:

The Management team are aware of the apprehension regarding both the Registered Manager and Deputy Manager going on maternity leave at the same time, we have tried to settle concerns by keeping family members and resident informed as much as possible by meetings and letters. A new replacement manager has already started induction with the current Manager, she has good knowledge of the homes policies and procedures as she previous worked as the Registered Manager here at Berry Pomeroy, we feel this is an asset rather than a negative. We hope this will provide continuity and reassurance for all those concerned.

I have been in Pomeroy 14 months. Until 3 months ago all was very good. owing to staff shortages standards have fallen. We never see managers, carers are very good and work hard, both cooks seem to have left so have supply people in. My breakfast is very good, lunch could be changed more often, veg terrible, suppers are poor. Although shortage of staff, apart from this I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. I think managers could do more, both are leaving as pregnant.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Likely

A meeting with Resident has recently been conducted to discuss current changes and concerns relating to staffing. Berry Pomeroy continues to meet the recommended staff ratio, this does mean at times employing outside agencies to support our current long serving staff members to avoid pressure and maintain high standards. Management do their utmost to run an safe and efficient home, this does sometimes mean we are not able to be on the floor as much as we would like, but we do conduct an open door policies which allows both staff and Residents to approach us at any time. A new Manager has now been appointed and has commenced induction with the current Manager, we are confident she will be a great asset to the home considering her past knowledge as the Registered Manager for 5+ years at Berry Pomeroy.

My aunt received excellent care, delivered with kindness, patience and professionalism.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

A small, friendly and well run care home. Good food, lots of activities for residents, first class care. Excellent location, near sea front, theatres and tennis.

How likely would you be to recommend Berry Pomeroy? Extremely Likely

I am a carer for my 91 year old mother and use Berry Pomeroy for respite care about three times a year. My mother looks forward to her time there and the staff always make her welcome. The manager is extremely helpful and I have total confidence in leaving mum in their care while I am on holiday.

Submit a Review for Berry Pomeroy

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Berry Pomeroy

Nicole

Nicole Pollard

Job Title: Registered Manager

Joined: 2016

Nicole previously worked as the deputy and registered manager until 2009 and has returned to the registered manager position in 2016. Nicole has the registered managers award.

Julie

Julie Winter

Job Title: Senior carer

Joined: 2004

Julie is one of the Home’s senior care staff and has been employed at Berry Pomeroy since November 2004. She holds her NVQ Level 3. She ensures the welfare of the Residents in every aspect of their lives, administers daily medication and promotes independence and nutrition

Louise

Louise Carrig

Joined: 2000

Louise has been a dedicated member of the care team since September 2000. She assists Residents daily with personal care and emotional support. Louise holds an NVQ Level 2

Sue

Sue William

Joined: 2000

Sue has been employed with Berry Pomeroy since May 2002. Sue’s role extends to being a key worker to some Residents, developing person centred care plans and providing one to one support. Sue holds an NVQ Level 2.

Ashley

Ashley Kemp

Joined: 2012

Ashley joined the team as a general assistant in 2012 but has since become a carer, she is currently doing her QCF L2. Ashley is a friendly and bubbly character.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Berry Pomeroy