East Dean Grange Care Home

Lower Street, East Dean, Eastbourne BN20 0DE

East Dean Grange Care Home, Eastbourne, East Sussex

East Dean Grange focuses on personalised residential care packages, with an experienced team who are fully trained in the challenges of older people’s care. Care is offered to those looking for respite or convalescence care, and to people who are living with Parkinson's. A day care service is also available.

The home is located in pleasant countryside surroundings, with an attractively decorated interior, en-suite rooms and a 24-hour call system. Residents are welcome to personalise their surroundings.

A nutritious food menu is tailored to personal taste and mealtimes are an important part of the day. Residents can dine and socialise with visitors and other residents, or choose the privacy of their own bedrooms.

Music sessions, a mobile library and art classes are among the many interests that residents have embraced, with activities organised that suit all levels of mobility.

Person in charge: Vanessa Farmer (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 30 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): German, French, Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on East Dean Grange Care Home: click here

8.4 East Dean Grange Care Home has a Review Score of 8.4 (8.380)

The Review Score of 8.4 (maximum of 10) for East Dean Grange Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 8 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for East Dean Grange Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.38 for East Dean Grange Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (51 Excellents x 5) + (30 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 92 Ratings = 4.38

The 4 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for East Dean Grange Care Home is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 6 positive Reviews (30 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 6 Target = 0.500

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend East Dean Grange Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to East Dean Grange Care Home

• Respite Resident/Service User
  • Volunteer

I come here for a fortnight every year and I really enjoy my stay.

How likely would you be to recommend East Dean Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administator at East Dean Grange Care Home responded to this review on 03 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoy your stays with us and hope to see you again soon.

I've lived here for some time. I can't speak more highly - staff caring and helpful.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administator at East Dean Grange Care Home responded to this review on 01 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

Mom has been at The Grange for six years. At first for respite care then for winter (6 months) stay and for last three years as a permanent resident. The best way to introduce a relative to their new life in care. Mom is happy and well looked after we feel confident in leaving her in their care.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at East Dean Grange Care Home responded to this review on 21 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear that your mum is happy and that you have peace of mind knowing that she is well cared for.

The addition of an intercom system would lessen stress on staff and ensure shorter work for e.g. notification by public. During my stay, the lift was out of order and two staff away. A major complaint - bottom sheet on comfortable bed too small resulting in wakeful nights sleep and lying on waterproof cover.

How likely would you be to recommend East Dean Grange Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at East Dean Grange Care Home responded to this review on 20 Jan 2017:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Soups were delicious - good colour, good flavour, good texture, a lot of variety. Both good cooks. There was a kitchen helper who was absolutely delightful whenever I asked him for help, he was so willing and always did as I asked (I had two new hips and could not bend down!) He was pleased he had got a job. At times there seemed to be a lack of staff! I understand that there was one lady on duty for night duty once! It was a full house and was a lot for one lady to do.

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at East Dean Grange Care Home responded to this review on 19 Dec 2016:

Whilst the staff at the care home are very pleasant and helpful the facilities are tired and need updating. The lift has been out of action more often than not but has been updated recently and currently is working. The rooms at the top of the house have wooden windows that slide and can't easily be opened.My father's room has double glazing but the bathroom is past its sell by date and needs updating the shower is unusable as it's in the bath that he can't get in! Most of the rooms are the same, some have walk in showers but again very tired. There is a bath with a lift system on the ground floor that is used and he gets a bath about once a fortnight. The lounge is tired as is the restaurant. The TVs are tiny and hard for old residents to see.

How likely would you be to recommend East Dean Grange Care Home? Unlikely

Facilities: Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Rooms: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience of care at one of our homes. Our resident's health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please, can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com so that we can discuss this feedback further?

I visit the Grange as part of a team which carries out a monthly religious Church of England service. I also go twice a month with an ordained minister from an East Dean Anglican church to provide Holy Communion to those who want it.
We are welcomed by the manager and staff and value our connection with the Grange. We also go tot he Grange on remembrance day and at Christmas time.

How likely would you be to recommend East Dean Grange Care Home? Likely

I was surprised and delighted by their anxiousness to serve me and see to my everyday needs. I am a vegan and the chef's attention to my needs was exemplary. The staff were lovely. The room was large indeed and I came away from there with fond memories of my enforced stay.

Jayne Duck, Customer Servicies Administrator at East Dean Grange Care Home responded to this review on 18 Aug 2016:

Submit a Review for East Dean Grange Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

Vanessa

Vanessa Farmer

Joined: 2017

I have 26 years experience in health and social care, having started my career in the NHS, as a nurse, and progressed to Deputy Ward Manager.

I then made the move into the social care sector where I was responsible for converting care homes to nursing homes. After a couple of years of being involved in crisis nurse management I decided to move to managing adult social care in residential, non nursing, care homes. In the last nine years I have worked predominately in the voluntary sector before joining Bupa this year.

“Age is no boundary and people can still live happy and fulfilling lives. Activity and community involvement is just as important as personal care”

I operate an open door policy and if you are visiting please come and see me or say hello when you see me around the home.

Penny

Penny Wallis

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2016

I’ve worked in the care industry for 24 years, having started at the age of 14, as a tea girl to earn pocket money.

I have worked in a variety of environments ranging from nursing, residential and dementia to special needs homes.

Throughout my career I’ve worked my way up from carer, one of the roles that I most enjoyed as I take pride in looking after others, to my current role of Deputy Manager, where I support the Home Manager in the welfare of all our residents.

I thoroughly enjoy my job, because the well being and happiness of our elderly is important to me, and I feel they deserve the best support that we can provide and I'm passionate that East Dean Grange can definitely deliver this.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at East Dean Grange Care Home