Filsham Lodge, Hailsham, East Sussex

Filsham Lodge, in Hailsham, East Sussex, has been a registered nursing home since 2011.

All residents receive personal centered care and have daily activities offered to them which are for all to enjoy. Those who cannot take-part in such activities due to nursing reasons, will have personal activities, of their choice and ability, given to them.

Carers are experienced in delivering care to the elderly who suffer with dementia type illnesses and with many nursing needs that the elderly have. Filsham Lodge are proud of their nursing team and are currently renovating many of their social areas.

Group: Sovereign Care Ltd

Person in charge: Anne Crousse (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 53 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Muscular Dystrophy • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Private and Social Services Clients. Ages 60+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Visiting hours for potential clients are from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday with manager.
Visiting hours for residents is un-restricted.

Car park in front of home.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Filsham Lodge: click here

7.6 Filsham Lodge has a Review Score of 7.6 (7.629)

The Review Score of 7.6 (maximum of 10) for Filsham Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Filsham Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.4 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.19 for Filsham Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (49 Excellents x 5) + (23 Goods x 4) + (3 Poors x 2) + (9 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 84 Ratings = 4.19

The 3.439 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Filsham Lodge is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 10.6 positive Reviews (53 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 10.6 Target = 0.189

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Filsham Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Filsham Lodge

The quality of care given to my father, who had late stage dementia, and the support we received as a family from all of the staff at Filsham Lodge was incredible. The staff were attentive, genuinely caring, gentle, professional and supportive to my Dad in his condition. The nurses were experienced and caring and I felt Dad was safe in their hands receiving the good medical care he needed and he had other conditions as well as dementia. My father recently sadly passed away and the team at Filsham Lodge were amazing, words cannot express the support, love, respect, care, patience and reassurance they gave us and Dad in supporting him at the end of his life - we could not have done it without them at such a scary, painful and difficult time. Dad's end of life care given by the staff meant he did not suffer, he was kept calm, pain-free, peaceful and settled with dignity which was so important to us as a family. I cannot recommend Filsham Lodge and the team highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Filsham Lodge? Extremely Likely

My father spent the last 3 months of his life at Filsham Lodge. I found the staff to be caring and kind. Dad was alway freshly shaven and washed which was very important to me and there was always plenty of staff around. At the slightest hint of illness, they would call the doctor to attend and on his last day I was phoned immediately when the doctor advised things were not looking good. This enabled his wife, myself and my husband to be with him at the end which was peaceful. The home was always clean and they feed the residents well including lots of nice treats which I could see a lot of the residents enjoyed. The manager was always around if I needed a chat and I think she runs the place very well. I would recommend this home highly as a safe home with kind staff who will treat your loved one with gentleness and respect and you can rest assured they are safe in their care. It is not an easy job to do but they all seem to get on with it with a smile.

How likely would you be to recommend Filsham Lodge? Extremely Likely

My brother was cared for at Filsham Lodge during the last months of his life. I cannot thank the staff and the manager enough for all the care, attention and support they gave me and my brother.
Despite the hard job they do, they were always smiling and dedicated to make all residents happy. He was originally privately funded and when the time came for him to be social services funded, the home kept him and still delivered the same standards.
I would highly recommend this home to anyone who wants their loved one to be cared for to excellent standards. Thank you to all the staff and manager and I hope they keep up the good work.

How likely would you be to recommend Filsham Lodge? Extremely Likely

I witnessed poor manual handling, carers being disrespectful about residents, carers talking in their languages whilst looking after residents! My nan was going to be kicked out as she is social services funded and the current manager was extremely unprofessional and had a disgusting attitude. The way vulnerable adults are treated is disgusting. Following recent reports in the paper this does not surprise me and I hope CQC intervene as a service can't be run like this.

How likely would you be to recommend Filsham Lodge? Extremely Unlikely

Safety / Security: Poor

Rooms: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Anne Crousse, Manager at Filsham Lodge responded to this review on 18 May 2016:

We are surprised to read these comments as none of the issues were raised in the two and a half years we cared for your loved one. All our staff are trained in manual handling and supervised on a two monthly basis. At a Consultation meeting on 2/06/14 families were consulted regarding proposed changes to the nature of our business ie: delivering nursing care only. It is not our policy to give notice because residents are social services funded. In fact 75% of our residents are local authority funded. We have recently been audited by local authority who were very happy with the care delivered. Our CQC report shows we are compliant in all areas and we have a good rating. With reference to the recent newspaper article, please be assured that it is related to an individual RN practices and these practices were reported immediately to safeguarding and CQC and the NMC at the time. The RN was removed immediately from the service, ensuring the safety and well being of our residents remained paramount at all times.

Caring, friendly, well lead home, updating facilities refreshing to see. After two bad experiences with homes this is a refreshing change. Independence promoted as much as possible. Food and drink readily available at all times in the day.

How likely would you be to recommend Filsham Lodge? Extremely Likely

I am here for a few weeks respite after having C diff which has now cleared up. While being here I have received the most excellent care from everybody including the manager who had been best of all, talking care of my needs. I cannot thank all the staff enough for my treatment.

How likely would you be to recommend Filsham Lodge? Extremely Likely

My father was in their care for a very short time but I was able to very quickly establish that the staff were outstanding in their care for the residents there. I was happy to leave him with them and I know that he was comfortable and well looked after. There is an atmosphere of a large family and all residents I saw were treated with respect, understanding and affection. Thank you

Submit a Review for Filsham Lodge

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Filsham Lodge

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Filsham Lodge