Cornelius House

114 Fishbourne Road West, Chichester PO19 3JR

Cornelius House is carefully designed to provide care to people who can no longer live on their own. The home offers specialist equipment to all residents and service users, ensuring they are provided with personalised care, tailored to their needs.

The home is located just outside of Chichester, set back from the road, overlooking its extensive gardens and grounds. Residents are welcomed into wide corridors and doorways, into well-equipped and thoughtfully laid out communal living spaces, rooms and bathrooms.

Each year, an independent audit is carried out at Cornelius House, ensuring that any views and concerns of residents, relatives and staff are heard and dealt with. An independent auditor interviews relatives , residents and staff, compiling a report of their findings which is published on the home's website.

Staff are friendly, approachable and professional with many core members of staff having more than fifteen years' experience working at the home or within the sector, giving relatives and residents a sense of stability and peace of mind as they receive personalised care.

Owner: John Kellas

Person in charge: Anna Patterson (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 20 Service Users

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £540 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Cornelius House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Sheltered Housing • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Cornelius House: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Cornelius House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Cornelius House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.3 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.679 for Cornelius House is calculated as follows: ( (89 Excellents x 5) + (42 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 131 Ratings = 4.679

The 4.25 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Cornelius House is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 4 positive Reviews (20 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 4 Target = 0.750

8.9 Cornelius House has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.929) from 11 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Cornelius House?

Reviewer Connection to Cornelius House

• Respite Resident/Service User
  • Mother of Resident/Service User
  • Nephew of Resident/Service User

Cornelius House is a very pleasant, well-run and effective care home. The house itself is attractive. Comfortable and well-provided. The staff are most welcoming, efficient and helpful, which is most reasoning and encouraging for residents.
The food is very good and the meals well prepared and attractively presented. I have enjoyed my stay and would happily recommend Cornelius House to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

This is an excellent establishment, satisfactory on all accounts.
This is a pleasure to be treated so well and consistently.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Don't know

I was warmly welcomed and given a clean, pleasant room with views over the garden. The washing facilities were cramped. The staff were kind, helpful and very nice. It was my first experience of a care home and I was pleasantly surprised, but I missed the freedom of my own home. However, the atmosphere was warm and very friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Likely

After a year-long illness involving a stroke which left my son with Aphasia (unable to speak), I was not very happy with the idea of him going into a care home at the age of 37, but how wrong was I? The manager and the team at HHH excelled at taking care of him to the point of spoiling him rotten! They went above and beyond in all aspects of his care. I am certain that their encouragement helped him improve especially his speech. As his mum, a great weight was lifted from my shoulders when I saw the care he was getting. I cannot thank you enough!

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

My father spent the last 14/15 months of his life at Cornelius House. We were so impressed with the level of care and compassion he received from staff whilst he was there. The staff always had time for him and ensured he was kept clean and comfortable. A wide range of activities were arranged during the week. The management of the home were extremely professional and nothing was too much trouble for them.

Cornelius House really felt like a "home" for my father and my mother who visited him regularly. Towards the end of my father's life, the level of care and dignity shown to my father and the wider family was exceptional. We will always treasure those memories and the effort made by Cornelius House to ensure he was able to die peacefully at "home" at Cornelius. We are so grateful to Cornelius, the managers and all the staff. We would un-hastingly recommend Cornelius House.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

My Father was at Cornelius House for 3 very happy years. He was made very welcome right from the start and this continued throughout his stay. He never made any adverse comment to me about his care, and I could see that this was brought out by how I saw he was treated.
When I needed advice it was given in a sincere and helpful way and when there were problems with my Fathers health, I was told very quickly.
The staff at Cornelius House always welcomed me sincerely when I visited and showed a genuine sense of concern for my Father. Although he did not always want to partake in some of the activities organised by the home, when he did take part you could tell by his response that he had thoroughly enjoyed himself. I cannot praise the staff who organised these activities enough - thank you.
With all the adverse stories in the news about care homes, time needs to be taken to show how wonderful many homes are - namely Cornelius House.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

My husband has been a resident of 'Cornelius House' for over a year. In that time, his health has deteriorated. That was to be expected as he has had long-term prostate cancer with complications. With his loss of strength, his care has certainly been stepped up with him being moved to a more suitable room and change of bed. The staff are now feeding him as this is necessary. They are always cheerful and patient with him. Until fairly recently he was able to spend time in one of the lounges where there are often things going on, but I'm afraid his health no longer allows this. As well as looking after my husband, they are very caring towards me as I visit often and have lunch on Sundays. I'll not only miss my husband when he leaves this world, I'll also miss the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

Considering the dark press the care sector has been getting lately, this small but friendly home in Fishbourne is a beacon of genuine care for the elderly.
My Aunt deliberately chose this home and never regretted her choice. She entered into the spirit of the entertainment offered and enjoyed herself as long as she was able to participate. During the last months, after a fall, her carers couldn’t have been more encouraging and kind.
If I lived closer, I'd put myself on the waiting list.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

I have worked at Cornelius for several years as a Complimentary Therapist, so I have lots of comments from the residents about Cornelius. Every resident has some things to say as to how a place should be run but they all agree that Cornelius is the best place to be. They all enjoy the activities, be it a quiz or an imaginary trip around the country with the super activities lady. The staff never fail to smile and chat with the residents. All in all, it is a very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere which enables the residents to enjoy their stay. The garden gazebo is ideal for a morning or afternoon sit in the shade and enjoy the open air. The Summer garden party is great fun, with lots and lots of relatives visiting with grand children and great grand children.
What else can one say but I would move in when I reach a certain age!

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

My mother has lived at Cornelius House for 18 months now, and loves it. I was a local GP for many years, so I know all the care homes in the area well, and knew that Cornelius House was the best by a long way. When it came to looking for a place for my mother to move to, there was therefore only one choice, and we were lucky that they happened to have a vacancy at the right time. I am constantly impressed by the love, consideration and care my mother receives there, the kindness of the staff, and the huge range of activities, events and entertainments that are arranged for the residents. I feel it is exceptional, and that all the staff from the Matron down, genuinely care for the residents, and do all they can to provide a stimulating, loving, family environment for those they are looking after.

How likely would you be to recommend Cornelius House? Extremely Likely

The staff at Cornelius House are quite exceptional in their care and concern and friendliness. The management are capable and cope well with emergencies as well as with the general operation. My Aunt did well to choose Cornelius House.

Submit a Review for Cornelius House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Cornelius House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Cornelius House