Gittisham Hill House, Honiton, Devon

Gittisham Hill House is a charming converted manor house set within its own 12 acre parkland, in an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Situated within Gittisham Hill Park Retirement Village, close to the bustling market town of Honiton in Devon, the home and village form a thriving community within a beautiful setting.

This nursing and residential care home focuses on supporting residents who require nursing and/or personal care and who have some degree of confusion, dementia and memory loss.

There is a calm and relaxed atmosphere in the home. The environment of care has been adapted to meet the needs of residents and the home has areas of interest for people to enjoy including the dining room with its beautiful views.

The care home has a team of kind, friendly and professional staff who provide sensitive and supportive care.

Person in charge: Carol Dight (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Devon County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 39 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Contact Carol Dight. Ages 60+.

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £950 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Gittisham Hill House to find out the exact price for your requirements.) (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Gittisham Hill House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Gittisham Hill House: click here

9.5 Gittisham Hill House has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.505)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Gittisham Hill House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Gittisham Hill House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.505 for Gittisham Hill House is calculated as follows: ( (110 Excellents x 5) + (64 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 188 Ratings = 4.505

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Gittisham Hill House is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 7.8 positive Reviews (39 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 7.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Gittisham Hill House?

Reviewer Connection to Gittisham Hill House

• Relative of Resident/Service User
  • Grandson of Resident/Service User

I can't commend the staff at Gittisham Hill House enough for the way they have made my mother's move from her previous care home so easy. Everyone has been so welcoming to her and she feels safe and happy in her new surroundings. The manager and deputy manager have been particularly sensitive to all her needs. Thank you!

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Staff are always friendly and courteous. The patients are helped at all times. The patients look upon staff almost as substitute families. If a Dr is needed, it is done very promptly and I am kept informed.
Management is excellent, they contact family on visits and any queries are welcomed. Patients have activities - quizzes which are stimulating for them.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 27 Sep 2017:

Thank you very much for your kind review; we still have things to make 'even better' but I know the team will be very thankful for your review. Carol.

The new manager has positioned herself within the residential home and is, therefore, more accessible to residents, family and staff. It has become more homely and friendly. Improvements being made all the time.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 12 Sep 2017:

Dear Lorna,

Thank you very much for your review which will help us make Gittisham even better. I know you understand that we are still 'work in progress' but striving to get excellent in all our categories. Thank you again for the feedback.

Kind Regards,
Carol

Always clean. Residents are very well looked after, clean fresh clothes, tidy groomed hair and fantastic entertainment daily, with trips out. My family member joined this care home a very poorly lady, the first class care in this home, with the in-house nurse and daily visits from the doctor, has brought her back to life.

Dear Amy,

Thank you very much for your review, and I will ensure that your feedback is included in our Staff Meeting this afternoon; the team, I know, will be thrilled. If there are any even better (if's) to make care even better then I hope you will let me know, but again my sincere thanks.

Carol.

New manager is improving facilities and activities in the home. There is a more welcoming feel to the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Likely

Choosing a care home for my father had to meet all the qualities of care, facilities, cleanliness, caring nurses and staff and room facilities, basically what equated to a platinum care home for my dad. After visiting 26 care homes within a 20-mile radius of Sidmouth, Gittisham Hall was the only one that met these important criteria. Not only for my dad but the whole family are happy and content, knowing my dad is really well looked after, safe and happy. Thank you Gittisham.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 22 Aug 2017:

Many thanks Louise for your super review; I am so pleased that we continue to meet all of Dad's needs. I will ensure the team sees your feedback, and again my sincere thanks. Carol

My mother has been at Gittisham Hill House for 8 and a half months and has found it difficult to settle until now. Her main worry is missing her garden and not feeling the care home is like a "home" more an institution.
However, the new manager is certainly trying to make better changes, She is an inspiration and because of her, my mother is beginning to enjoy her life (phew!) need more outside space, more colour in furnishings, more activities - stimulation.

Rooms: Poor

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 10 Aug 2017:

Thank you very much for your kind review of Gittisham Hill House, and the care we provide. I will ensure the team see your feedback, and thank you for your comments; we are 'work in progress' we know, but always striving to do better, so thank you again for taking the time and trouble to send your review, and letting us know the 'even better if's' which we can, and are already, putting into action. Thank you again.

Wonderful all round care, very impressive. I can't describe the improvement in three months.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Dear Josephine, thank you very much indeed for your review, and such lovely feedback. We still have some 'even better if's' to achieve, but thank you for your Review, I know the 'Gittisham Team' will appreciate your feedback too. Thank you again. Carol

My mother has only been in care for 6 weeks having lived with myself and my husband before hand. She has settled down well and likes the staff.
The team have also helped me to come to terms with the fact that I cannot look after my mother myself due to the progression of dementia.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 19 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your kind review. We know it is early days for both you and Mum, but it is lovely to see how settled she has become, and we are glad that we have been able to help you as a family too - caring for our residents is also about caring for their families and I am glad that we have been able to help you during this period. Thank you again.

I am very happy with the care provided to my Aunt.
She is settled at Gittisham, is kept clean and dressed in a thoughtful manner. Staff demonstrate that they understand my Aunt's preferences and her personality. Her room is kept spotless with clothes neat and tidy in cupboards and drawers. When we bring flowers, staff will take time to find an appropriate vase for her room and they are kept watered and tended. My Aunt's particular needs are cared for well. When she has falls, we are informed promptly and she is well cared for.
Our family are made welcome when visiting and staff are happy to discuss our concerns. The care home is always clean when I visit and I see staff wearing protective aprons when serving refreshments.
It has been pleasing recently to see plenty of staff in living areas, garden being used, doors open and to see staff taking residents out for walks.
I've put good against areas I don't have enough knowledge of to give excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 18 Jul 2017:

Thank you very much for your kind review and your comments which we will pass back to the team. I am glad that the increased usage of the garden and outings is proving popular. Thank you again.

Clean, organised and friendly. The staff truly know and care for my Grandfather.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 13 Jul 2017:

Alexander, a sincere thank you for reviewing Gittisham Hill House, and the care that your Grandfather receives. I will ensure that the staff are aware of the review, and your comments. We don't always get it right, but it is fabulous to hear when we do. Thank you again.

Mum is happy at Giittisham Hill House and is looked after well. I would recommend this care home to any family requiring secure accommodation and caring staff for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 11 Jul 2017:

Thank you very much for your review. We are keen to ensure that all of our areas reach an excellent rating, so any feedback you can give about how we reach excellent will be very much appreciated. Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to add a review, from myself and the team.

Good support over the last 18 months since mother-in-law became a resident. Good facilities if residents are able to take part, nice now that the gardens are accessible but needs a ramp for wheelchairs. Some furniture and rooms need a bit of updating due to wear and tear. Always kept clean, front entrance needs attention (i.e. paintwork)

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Likely

Carol Dight, Home Manager at Gittisham Hill House responded to this review on 05 Jul 2017:

Thank you very much for your kind review; we are striving to make life 'even better' for our Residents so your comments are very helpful. There is a 'refurbishment plan' in place for the areas you mention, and our focus has been on making areas accessible, the ramp for wheelchairs is a very helpful observation and we will action immediately. The porch area has been identified as needing attention as you say, so this is in the plan for this year. Thank you again for your comments helping us to continually improve.

My father has been a resident for 4 years, he is nearly 96 years old. No matter what time of day I visit, the welcome is always warm (from staff) and dad is happy. The staff are endlessly patient and kind with my father whose behaviour can be challenging on occasion. Whilst busy the staff tend to find time to chat and update me on my father's condition. Other residents generally seem relaxed, happy and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Extremely Likely

My husband was welcomed in March and settled well. The staff treated him kindly and with humour, especially when he asked for a beer or glass of red wine! He was always dressed well and shaving and manicures were fine. The lady running the activities worked hard to make the events enjoyable and appropriate. He enjoyed his meals and I was always offered coffee or tea. The atmosphere was peaceful in what could be difficult situations.

How likely would you be to recommend Gittisham Hill House? Likely

Thank you Maureen for your kind words and taking the time to add a review. It is appreciated. We continue to look for ways to continually improve and feedback is always welcome, thank you.

We had to find a care home after our friend's stay in the hospital - advised by the hospital doctors.
Our first choice was Gittisham Hill House due to its reputation and a close friend's experience.
So delighted they had a room available.

Submit a Review for Gittisham Hill House

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Gittisham Hill House