The Hyde Care Home, Bridport, Dorset

*****3 weeks for the price of 2 for stays booked by 31 October 2017 and started by 31 December 2017. Terms and conditions apply, call for details******

The Hyde offers a warm and welcoming professional care service to older people who are looking for residential, respite, day care and convalescence care. Care plans are also available for those living with Parkinson’s and those who require palliative care. An experienced team of carers dedicate their time to providing a high standard of round the clock care, tailored to the needs of each individual.

A listed building, this country house boasts large grounds and landscaped gardens, featuring a water feature, raised flowerbeds, a summer house and a croquet lawn. Interiors provide comfortable and homely accommodation with many original features including elegant rooms with wood panelling. Most bedrooms have en-suite facilities and all have garden views and a 24-hour call system installed.

An organic kitchen garden provides a wealth of fresh produce that is often used in meal preparation. The stylish dining room overlooks the gardens and is popular at mealtimes for those who wish to socialise. Residents may also dine in their bedroom if preferred. Personal dietary requirements and preferences are discussed on arrival.

The home encourages residents to take part in a wide variety of activities, including gardening, painting and croquet and visits to local places of interest prove to be popular events. Family and friends are always welcome to join in the events and visit at any time.

Person in charge: Claire Hart (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dorset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 28 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Hyde Care Home: click here

9.5 The Hyde Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.512)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for The Hyde Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 17 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Hyde Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.619 for The Hyde Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (132 Excellents x 5) + (64 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 202 Ratings = 4.619

The 4.893 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Hyde Care Home is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 5.6 positive Reviews (28 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 5.6 Target = 0.893

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Hyde Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Hyde Care Home

The care for my father is very, very good and nearly all of the staff have become like family to him (and us). Recently bereaved, my mother lived with him at The Hyde until shortly before her death. The staff have shown real compassion. Staff shortages are an acute problem at present -agency staff having to be called in at night particularly- this is not good. The food is not particularly good. Bupa seems to insist on "standardisation" which is sad when garden grown veg could be provided within the grounds.

Food & Drink: Poor

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 05 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. I am so pleased to hear that you are happy with the care your Father is receiving and the compassion within our staff. I appreciate the comments you have provided and will share your concerns with the quality team so they can investigate further. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I came to the home in great distress, having lost my only grandson from cancer (he was 3 days short of 21). I needed to be cosseted, and I was! All the staff were so kind and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. They even took me to a hospital appointment that I had. The home is set in the most beautiful scenery (looked after by a wonderful gardener). I think this was very therapeutic.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 22 Jun 2017:

So sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandson. Please accept our condolences. It is great to hear that you were looked after with so much care and kindness, I hope that things seem a little easier for you mow.

My wife and I came here just before Christmas 2015 and it was good to find a comfortable life, without the worries and problems of our own home.
The staff here were very welcoming and helpful.
My wife died recently, the help and concern shown to us both during the difficult time helped us both, particularly myself now left on my own.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 26 Jun 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear that you are been supported at this sad time and that you were both happy at the home, I'm sure that you will continue to make new friends.

The care and kindness shown to my Mum has been excellent. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

I stayed 14 nights to relax in ideal conditions to regenerate myself. In the new year, my husband after 62 years together died from cancer. My son only thirty-seven died a month later unexpectedly due to a heart attack. I was exhausted after because of all the paperwork and arrangements I had to cope with alone. My daughter living in Bridport visited me often a long motorway journey. I spent these two weeks without any pressure. The food and restaurant were regular pleasant intervals each day. My visit for seven nights was increased as I wanted to stay longer, in fact, I didn't look forward to returning to my home. The knowledge that such a welcoming place in such lovely surroundings and staff so kind and helpful was most of the time available to me which was a great comfort. I shall return again whenever I can to repeat the visit and maybe for longer in the future when more necessary support is needed.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 06 Nov 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

I feel this is a very nice place, beautiful grounds. Staff are nice. Digger, the gardener's dog is an added bonus.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 02 Sep 2016:

Extremely appropriate environment for myself at this moment in time. Care, social contact with all staff is beyond any approach much in excess to what I expected. There is ultimate co-operation at all levels. The overall atmosphere is very informal for what must be a correct formal institution. I would find it difficult to find criticism of any aspect of this establishment.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jun 2016:

I don't think I would find a home as good as this anywhere. All the staff are very nice and look after me. The food is the best.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 28 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I came to stay for a holiday whilst my daughter went on holiday to France. I have had a wonderful time and felt very welcome and at home. I have enjoyed the company of the staff and the dog "Digger".

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 21 Jun 2016:

I am here for just one respite week. The staff have been kind and I have no complaints whatsoever.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 26 May 2016:

It feels strange to write a review for The Hyde as a Care Home, as I don't really think of it as such, it is so very much more than the title would suggest. My mum arrived at the most difficult time of her life, recently widowed and suffering increasing hardship from enduring many years of Parkinson's. Over the last eight months it has become her home, where she is safe, happy and well cared for, always with the utmost kindness and professionalism and with great emphasis placed upon her individual needs. As you approach The Hyde down it's sweeping driveway and lovingly manicured ground's you are struck by it's grandeur, but on entering you also feel instantly the warmth, friendliness and genuine kindness that runs consistently through every element of care in this home. My mother is fortunate to have a large, well furnished room, with the most beautiful, peaceful views over the grounds and hills beyond. Meals are home cooked, seasonal and delicious; activities varied and engaging.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 13 May 2016:

On the whole I am very satisfied with the treatment given by staff at most times of the day and night when needed. Kind and conscientious even when very busy, nothing is too much trouble and when not well in health the right medical help is available when needed. My only slight complaint is that I often feel cold. The heating is turned off when I need some background warmth especially in the bathroom and bedroom first thing in the morning and evening.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 20 Apr 2016:

My sister is very well looked after by staff and management.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum's time there was a very important step in her route into residential care. I would have liked her to remain there if they had been able to provide the nursing care she required and at a price we could afford.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum has been using the daycare service for a hoisted bath and lunch for a few months which she enjoys and recently stayed for a few days to enable me to have a break. The staff couldn't have been kinder or more welcoming to her, her individual needs were well catered for (she is has poor sight and hearing)
The Hyde is clean and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. She enjoyed the food and was able to choose from a good menu, her room was ideal. The home is beautifully and comfortably furnished. She was also able to enjoy the grounds and well kept gardens. She is happy to be returning later in the year.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at The Hyde Care Home responded to this review on 21 Apr 2016:

The level of care provided is exceptional. All the staff are genuinely lovely, my aunt is so much happier since being at The Hyde and she has a lot more confidence, also I don't have to worry about her, knowing she has 24 hour care is a big weight off my mind. I would highly recommend The Hyde.

How likely would you be to recommend The Hyde Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother stayed at The Hyde for 7 weeks respite care in 2014. Having always said she would not go into residential care, after coming home she decided that she would like to return permanently to The Hyde as she was finding it hard to cope at home. We could not recommend The Hyde more highly. It is a wonderful place with exceptional caring, friendly staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. The accommodation is comfortable and homely and residents can bring as much of their own furniture, pictures and ornaments as they like. The communal areas are lovely and light and easily accessed and the food is excellent. I know that my mother is happy and very well cared for and that she feels safe and supported in her every need. Family members are made to feel welcome whenever we visit - even a group of eight of us did not faze the manager who set aside a room for us to use in private. I am kept fully informed about every aspect of my mother's care and notified immediately if she is unwell. The Hyde in no way conforms to the usual dismal stereotype of a residential home - it is a happy, loving place and more like a country house hotel with 24/7 care. The grounds are beautiful and the residents and their families have access to them whenever they like. There are two resident cats and the dog of a member of staff, much loved by the residents, which help them to feel relaxed and at home. A truly exceptional place.

Submit a Review for The Hyde Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Hyde Care Home