St Cecilia

29 Nelson Road, Branksome, Poole BH12 1ES

St Cecilia residential home understands that dementia happens and is dedicated to finding the person within. The team has specialised in dementia care for 28 years, providing loving care with dignity and respect.

St Cecilia is a detached Edwardian family house in a peaceful, tree-lined residential setting, near Westbourne village.

The small, family-run care home provides home-cooked meals and quality personal care; a home-from-home for loved ones.

Owner: St Cecilia Care Dorset Ltd

Person in charge: Robin Hiney (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Borough of Poole Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 15 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Admission Information: No agressive/violent behaviour ... over 65's only. Ages 65+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Spanish; Castilian, French

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £775 – £1100 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact St Cecilia to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Stairlift • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St Cecilia: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for St Cecilia is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 30 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Cecilia in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.808 for St Cecilia is calculated as follows: ( (290 Excellents x 5) + (62 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 355 Ratings = 4.808

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Cecilia is based on 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 3 positive Reviews (15 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 17 Reviews ÷ 3 Target Reached = 1

9.8 St Cecilia has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.808) from 30 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Cecilia?

Reviewer Connection to St Cecilia

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

I go and visit my friend of many years in St Cecilia and I am always impressed how friendly and attentive the staff is.
The patients always look clean and cared for.
I am also impressed to see how the staff handles each person individually.
I would not hesitate to recommend St Cecilia.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

As I became a State Registered Nurse in my early 20's I was very interested to visit my relative in St Cecilia. This I do every Sunday and I have always been very impressed with the kind atmosphere and the care all the residents receive. The residents are always looking very clean and tidy and I know that they enjoy their lovely meals. They are always given immediate attention when needed and when I leave I always feel that all the residents are in good, safe hands. I recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

From the very first time that we went to St Cecilia, we were very impressed. The welcome by the staff was warm and friendly even though they didn't know us. The whole atmosphere of the place was homely and inviting. All the residents looked content and were clean and tidy and cared for. If we were ever in a position where we need care for a family member, we would be very happy for them to be looked after there. Well done to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

A very caring and homely atmosphere, the residents are looked after with the utmost care, dignity and compassion a full understanding of all aspects of dementia. All residents are clean and well fed, the staff and manager are very approachable and friendly and helpful to family and residents.
I would have no hesitation in recommending St Cecilia to anyone requiring dementia care.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

When I visit the home I am always relaxed and my friend always looks clean and happy. I am always asked if I would like a cup of tea which does make a huge difference many other homes I have visited are too (busy) etc.
I would highly recommend placing a family member or friend that needed this level of care.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

Well, how refreshing to open the front door of this very caring home and be met with instant smiles, compassion and love. The guys here are all angels in their profession and reflects so much on the faces of the residents. My dad in the later stages of his illness would be a very content person in the knowledge that his care is being undertaken so comprehensively - nothing is ever an issue for any of the staff and the residents are always well groomed, clean and extremely well fed.
This is definitely a home and one where we as the siblings should never have any worries or regrets for loved ones being there - well done the manager and the gang, you've set the bar for others to follow!!! :)

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Likely

St Cecilia has looked after my father for around three years and they are wonderful! All the staff are caring, compassionate and sensible. They are sensitive to the needs of the residents and also very friendly and welcoming to relatives and visitors.
My father seems very content and happy there, always smiling which is a good sign.
Although it has the atmosphere of a family home with lovely staff, it is also run very well and we are kept informed of any developments or health issues.
I would not hesitate to recommend the home and hope my father can stay there for as long as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at St Cecilia's since 2009. 9 years. My father was caring for her at home, it was too much for him. He was fading fast. I tried my mum in 2 other dementia care homes. They were too big, my mum was distraught in them. They didn't understand how to care for people with dementia. St Cecilia's is one big family home. Only 14 residents and today in 2018 there is still a group of the same staff that greeted my mum in 2009. The low staff turnover says it all. This care home understands how to be with people with dementia. Love and kindness surround the residents and my mum has flourished there. She is happy and content. Over 9 years her condition has changed and the staff lovingly adapt their care to her needs. Once my mum was in the care home my father, my sister and I could get on with our lives again. We knew that 24 hours a day our mum was being looked after properly. I recommend this care home to anyone whose relatives or friends need dementia care.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

Continued care with kindness. understanding and infinite patience in a warm friendly yet efficient environment. I cannot fault St Cecilia's in any way and feel fortunate to have found such a place for my mother. Overall quite exceptional.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

Fantastic staff and a really warm and friendly environment, they make you feel very welcome when you visit and it is obvious they care and look after all the residents really well. I live a long way from the care home but they always respond to my calls or emails and let me know how things are going.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

The staff are loving and caring and treat my mum with respect and dignity. They are always responsive to suggestions and always so welcoming when family visit.
They keep in contact on a regular basis and provide updates and let me know if there are aspects of my mum's wellbeing they feel I should be aware of. It truly is a care home because without doubt they do care!

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

My husband has been in St. Cecilia Care Home for 18 months now due to severe Alzheimer's disease.
As soon as you walk through the door you are greeted with smiling welcoming faces. The Manager and his Staff are truly wonderful and nothing is too much trouble for them. My husband always looks well dressed and clean shaven, personal care is really superb. The Manager and his team are with their charges 24/7 and radiate love and compassion. The residents and visitors alike are treated with care, dignity and respect.
My husband used to get quite aggressive before he went to St. Cecilia but he has become calm and content. It is so refreshing that there are no uniforms which all adds to the feeling of being one happy family.
I thoroughly enjoy visiting the Home as it makes me feel like a family member.
I have no hesitation in strongly recommending St. Cecilia to anybody requiring specialised care as this Home is second to none. My husband receives the best care possible.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

St Cecilia's is a very special place. The home is clean, tidy and well maintained. The staff deal so well with all residents and care given is amazing. The residents are safe, well looked after and all health issues are top priority. Always a warm welcome and friendly reception for visitors. A very special home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

I have visited this home on several occasions to see our friend of 50+ years and was really impressed with the caring attention given to my friend and all the other patients in house.
I have been involved with caring over many years and am aware of how these people should be treated. It was so good to see the friendly atmosphere at St. Cecilia's and also the homely way it was run.
I would have no problem to recommend this home especially for people who are unfortunate enough to develop Dementia.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

I would not hesitate to recommend St Cecilia.
My mum has severe Alzheimers and was not managing in her own home. I had viewed several homes from the large to the small. St Cecilia was recommended by Social Services as it is a small home and so would best suit my mum's needs. Instantly on viewing, I felt that this was the one.
I was impressed by the time that the manager gave me and no pressure was put on me, to make a quick decision. It feels very homely, the staff know their residents and their families extremely well. They are very caring people who do their utmost for their residents. My mum is cared for extremely well and is thriving in this environment. She has put on weight and is much happier, enjoying the company of the staff and residents. Her room is large and airy but she only goes there to sleep - preferring to be in the company of others. I have complete faith in the staff and feel reassured that the right decision was made to place my mum here.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

St Cecilia is a lovely, warm, friendly care home which is small enough for the wonderful staff to get to know all of their clients and families who visit, very well. We feel our father-in-law is in totally safe hands and his needs are met fully.

He is happy, clean, comfortable - we can't praise the manager and his staff enough.

Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

I can't recommend St Cecelia's highly enough; it’s splendid. They care for Mum with complete love and devotion. She’s lived 7 years in this warm-hearted, welcoming, super friendly, highly professional dementia care home. Mum was considered 'too challenging' for two other homes. We tried St Cecelia's, desperate to find a loving, caring, home-from-home after our ailing father (82) couldn’t cope 24/7 with mum; an incredibly energetic, active, chatty, bright and lively woman with rapidly worsening dementia. Mum couldn’t have fallen into better hands! The staff quickly gentled her into relaxing and being content, smiling and happy, as she's continued for the last 7 years. Many staff who greeted Mum in those first days, in 2009, are still there now. The extremely low staff turnover in St Cecelia's speaks volumes, fostering a true 'family atmosphere'. Besides the loving care and professionalism we always see in practice, we’re always so welcomed – greeted with genuine warmth day or night. Five stars!

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

It has been a while since doing a review on this fantastic dementia care home called St. Cecilia and its only right to compliment the management and team.

My Mother has been at St. Cecilia since 2015 and has settled in very well. The management and team have made my mother very welcome and also myself and other siblings when we visit. I do take mum out on a regular basis which gives her a break from the home and some quality time with me. The staff have also provided me with protection for the car seats.

Whenever I go round to see my mum, everyone is always happy in the jobs, giving caring attention to the residents, helping them with whatever is needed.
Nothing is any trouble and will always endeavour to accommodate any need or requirement.

Without a shadow of a doubt, I would recommend St.Cecila Dementia Care Home to anyone that is trying to find a great, genuine, warm heawarm-hearted home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

We are so pleased that Dad was recommended to go to St Cecilia's two years ago, since then it has been his home and we have enjoyed visiting him there with all the wonderful staff who look after him.

He settled really well, really quickly, and since joining the small number of residents has been happy, comfortable and safe.

His room is immensely clean and tidy and the food always looks freshly prepared and appetising. Dad looks so well and is obviously happy there. The carers look after all the residents with dignity and affection, they know each of them very well and are always smiling, cheerful and welcoming.

We would have no qualms about recommending St Cecilia's to anyone, we feel very fortunate to have Dad there.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

I need to say that I have never visited my sister's room, nor have I been at the house for a full meal. However from my first visit, many months ago, I have found the staff always caring, patient and friendly. To visitors, they are welcoming and hospitable. They are generally happy to update you, e.g. about status and behaviour. The environment is comfortable and warm. Particular occasions (e.g. birthdays and Christmas) are celebrated, partly with suitable music and food, and by decorations. When it is necessary to assist residents who have limited mobility, e.g. to move into chairs, it is always done with a maximum of support and care plus a minimum of hassle. Food and drink are supplied on a regular basis and, if necessary, assistance is given by staff.
The staff make a point of sitting with and being company for the residents on a one-to-one basis as often as time allows: no-one is ignored. Any small disputes which arise are quickly and amicably settled.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

St Cecilia is a lovely, welcoming care home for residents and their family. My Mum has been there for nearly a year now after being moved on from two previous homes with her supposedly difficult behaviour. St. Cecilia have never said they couldn't manage with my Mum and have taken the time and care to get to know her individual needs and ways and manage them really well with care and attention. They never once said they couldn't cope with her and she has settled really well. Dementia is such a horrible disease and effects everyone differently and you need a care home like this that takes the time to get to know the individual and manages their needs appropriately. It is a small home and nothing fancy, but it's the personal touch that matters and this is just what my Mum needed. It has put my mind at rest, after years of struggling to look after her at home, that she is now safe and being well looked after. Can't thank them enough for the fantastic job they all do every day.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

This dementia care home is amazing! They treat my dad and all their other residents with dignity and love like they would their own family member. The staff have the time to sit with a resident and help them sip their tea, talk to them or just hold their hand! When I was there last, a lady needed to go for a diabetic eye test, but instead, they told her she was going out for cake, with the boss, but would just have to "pop to the opticians on the way"! Apparently, they did indeed stop for cake whilst they were out! If a resident enquires when they're going home they say, they'll give them a lift a bit later when the rain has stopped! Then bless them they forget. This is the perfect way to keep the residents settled and calm.

Once a week is music which when my dad was better he loved! He would dance around the room with a tambourine whilst a man played 'roll out the barrel ' on the piano!

Another thing they do is have canine therapy, where a dog comes to them to talk to!

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

My Mother has been in St Cecilia since just before Christmas in 2016 and I thank my lucky stars every day that fate stepped in. Just 2 days before Christmas we were recommended this care home. I myself had just had major surgery, was unable to drive, and so was unable to help Mum at this time of crisis. In a panic and being 150 miles away, I was able to speak to the care home manager and I immediately thought "everything will be alright!".
My Mum is no longer lonely and frightened. I speak to her regularly, you can phone at any time and no-one ever seems rushed or too busy to speak to you about any concerns. She is clean and warm and well cared for.
There is always some activity going on, which keeps my Mum amused and I particularly like the fact that there are only a dozen or so residents. Carers have time to get to know all the residents well.
This is a sad time for all the family, dementia is a very cruel illness but we have nothing but praise for St Cecilia.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

The personal care mum receives is second to none. The staff all care and show great love to the residents and I could not praise them highly enough. They are very welcoming and approachable, and show a great understanding of the nature of dementia, treating all residents; even the most disruptive as individuals. Mum is a person, not a bed number and I have total confidence mum could not be in better hands.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

Mother-in-law has now been resident in St Cecilia's for 2 years and is very settled and content there. Despite her degree of dementia, the staff always take the time to engage with her and she is always full of smiles.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

St Cecilia is a home that looks like ... home! The staff there act like ... family! How refreshing! On visiting many care homes 6 years ago, desperately trying to find the right one for our father (now in late stages of dementia), St Cecilia stood out a mile. From the moment we walked through the door, we were welcomed like old friends. The staff really care and are very open and honest and supportive when it comes to having to deliver difficult information. There are no uniforms here - thank goodness!!! I think uniforms can be intimidating and although have their place in general hospitals, this is a place where the patients will most probably live out the remainder of their lives here and if that life can be lived in comfort with kind caring people, with a more informal relaxed atmosphere, then that has to be a good thing.

The care and kindness given at St Cecilia is what I would wish for myself and I a very grateful my father has these amazing people around him at this time.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

The acre provide is excellent. The staff are warm, kind, very lovely. My mother has been in St Cecilia with Alzheimer's disease for 10 years. The support we have received from staff is exceptional and the love for my mother is outstanding. My mother has had 24 hour continuing care for the past 8/9 years with all her abilities gone. The staff have made our mums life possible.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

When we were told by the Mental Health team that Mum had to move into care ASAP (January 2015) it was a big worry, but we were so fortunate that a place was available at St Cecilias and she moved in within a few days and we soon realised that this was just the right place for her. It did not seem as plush and fancy as the "new" style homes, but it had a homely feel and as soon as we realised what a wonderful team work there and saw how well the residents were cared for it was indeed the right decision!
Mum settled in quite quickly and the years of worry for us have melted into the past. I would recommend St Cecilia's to anyone that requires dementia care and will do so without hesitation!

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

My wife had to be moved urgently from a care home because she was at risk of harm and very upset. Within a few days of experiencing the love and care at St Cecilia she was feeling much happier and we the relatives were able to leave her after visit knowing she was being cared for so well. We were also made welcome at every visit, no matter what time. We feel deeply inundated to the manager and his staff.

How likely would you be to recommend St Cecilia? Extremely Likely

Our dad has been in St Cecilia since 2011 having been transferred from a previous dreadful care home. The difference with St Cecilia was a world apart. The carers ARE carers. Would highly recommend. We would not wish for our dad to be any else.

Submit a Review for St Cecilia

posted 24 Apr 2018

Ground floor room with ensuite toilet now available. £975 per week. First floor room @ £875 per week. Fees are inclusive of chiropody, hair care, activities, toiletries, administration of medications, etc. Call 01202 767383

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for St Cecilia