Yew Trees

Yew Tree Lane, Dukinfield SK16 5BJ

Located in the popular residential area of Dukinfield, Greater Manchester, Yew Trees is a friendly and welcoming care home offering residential dementia care.

This charming home offers a choice of spaces in which to relax, dine and socialise, from the sitting and dining rooms to the relaxation therapy room and hairdressing salon. The pretty courtyard garden, which is looked after by residents, is a little haven for enjoying the company of friends and relatives. All the stylish and comfortable bedrooms and living areas are easily accessible by wheelchair.

The home’s caring team has created a family atmosphere, encouraging everyone to eat, celebrate and plan special occasions together. Residents are invited to decorate their rooms with small items of their own furniture and treasured belongings, so that it feels just like home. Daily life is thoughtfully designed to support mind, body and soul.

Chefs pride themselves in knowing tastes of residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs.

At HC-One, experienced Home Managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Helen Johnson (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 43 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): British Sign Language

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Yew Trees: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Yew Trees is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Yew Trees in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.655 for Yew Trees is calculated as follows: ( (172 Excellents x 5) + (68 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 249 Ratings = 4.655

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Yew Trees is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.6 positive Reviews (43 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 8.6 Target Reached = 1

9.7 Yew Trees has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.655) from 21 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Yew Trees?

Reviewer Connection to Yew Trees

My husband has been in Yew Trees for 18 months. I have found the home to be very organised and all the staff are caring, efficient and friendly. They treat the residents with dignity. The meals are well prepared and all their needs are catered for. The home is very clean and my husband and all the other residents are kept clean and dry. I have first-hand experience of this as I am a volunteer and am present at the home every day.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Since my dad has been in this home things have improved. Since the new manager has taken over the issues have all been addressed and everything about the home is getting better month by month. The staff are brilliant and always make you feel at home.

I know my dad is getting the best care we could ask for.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Yew Trees responded to this review on 25 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback received as this helps us to improve our service where required. We are so pleased that you are happy with the Care provided to your Father whilst he resides at Yew Trees Care Home, Dunkinfield. We strive to offer kind care to all our Residents and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the Staff Team.

The home is very very nice now, any issues are dealt with promptly. I asked if my dad could be moved downstairs and this was all sorted out in a proper manner.
The new room and all areas are fabulous. Ten out of ten.
I also think the staff are more happy and confident due to much better surroundings and having a confident manager to steady the ship.
Thank you!!

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the staff for all their help with my father's 90th birthday party. All the family who attended commented on how friendly and accommodating the staff were and how well my father looked! I know he really enjoyed the sing-song and the party food provided was very much appreciated.
Thank you from all our family and friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Lovely care home. My mum was really happy here and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Since my mother moved from another care home, her health and mobility has greatly improved.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

I found all the staff caring people, who do the job because they care. In the recent past, I feel that communication between staff and management to be lacking. I am pleased to say that is now improving. The entertainment was non-existent however this has improved with the employment of an activities coordinator. We had 3 afternoons of entertainment recently, two were excellent, the other a bit dull, nobody dancing. But it's happening and getting better. More care helping patients eating meals plus types of food for patients struggling with food. This is at last happening, chefs and management now talk to each other. Documentation of accidents is good, the GP and management work well together. A good regime with giving tablets etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Great care home. My nan was well looked after with lovely staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

The home is good for my mum and it has now got a better management team which the home needed. I am very happy with my mum's care there.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Since the new manager has taken over at this care home I have seen huge and impressive improvements. The cleanliness of the care home is very noticeable. A lady has been employed to do activities with the residents. A noticeboard has been put up with all the activities, these include days out, planting flowers in the pots in the garden, doing the residents nails. The garden at the home wasn't looking very nice but since the new manager took over the flags have all been cleaned the pots are ready for plants. Workmen are working in the home to install a wetroom.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Sadly my stepfather passed away in April of this year in hospital. He was a resident at Yew Trees for over five years. He was well looked after and happy in his time there. The activities and care he received have been marvellous.
I would have no qualms in recommending Yew Trees for care of the elderly, especially with dementia.
They are treated with dignity and kindness at all times even under great pressure.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

My uncle has been in Yew Trees for the past 12+ months. He is very happy and is always joking with staff, who I feel really understand what he needs and help him feel included. I cannot praise the staff there highly enough as it can be quite challenging.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident at Yew Trees for 2 years. He is very happy and settled there which I believe is mainly due to the staff and the pleasant surroundings. He is well cared for and treated with kindness and dignity. The carers are supportive and understanding of both his needs and my concerns for his continued well-being.
I take him out regularly and see him daily. He is always presentable and happy and they always make sure he is ready to go out when I arrive. I am grateful for what they do for both him and me.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

My overall experience with the care home has been a positive one. Staff are friendly and helpful and entertainment is good. Nice to see they try to involve all residents good standard of care. Some of the staff are wonderful keeping you up to date with your loved ones progress. (Thank you).
Sometimes there has been no pads, toilet roll or towel in the bathroom when I have taken my grandma to her room which is concerning, however, staff get it sorted one brought to their attention.

HC-One, Careline Team at Yew Trees responded to this review on 11 Apr 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
We would like to thank you for your positive comments about your experience visiting the Yew Trees Care Gome and in particular your comments about our staff.
We would like to apologise for occasions where there has been a lack of paper products and towels in your Grandmothers room.
We have now put in procedures to ensure that stocks of such items are available at all times and are stored appropriately. We would like to thank you for bringing the matter to our attention.
The Home Manager has an open door policy; please feel free to call in anytime to discuss any concerns you may have.

I visit Yew Trees fortnightly to visit my auntie. I am retired Psychiatric Nurse/Care manager for elderly mentally infirm - my daughter who is also Psychiatric Nurse often visits with me. We are so happy with the care she receives, the staff are so willing and friendly and I am/we are so impressed with their communication skills empathy and understanding shown to the residents.
When leaving my auntie at Yew Trees we are happy to do so knowing she is so well cared for. There is a lovely atmosphere in the home created by a wonderful group of staff who all care so much about their residents - it is a pleasure to visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

The staff do a brilliant job and are always polite and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

We have found this care home to be excellent on all aspects. All the staff are extremely helpful in providing the best care.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

Staff and management very helpful and kind. Rooms are adequate, clean and comfortable. Food is good.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Likely

The home does very well providing good care and regular updates to relatives. A good environment and helpful staff, laundry does have faults like giving clothes to wrong people even when they are labelled; and mum sometimes has no knickers in her room although she has about 10 pairs. Overall good, caring, staff and management who provide information on request and genuinely seem to care about residents well being.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

HC-One & Meridian, Careline Team at Yew Trees responded to this review on 29 Feb 2016:

You have highlighted a concern around lost clothing, and we apologise for any upset or distress this caused.

We recommend all items of clothing are named – with labels, name tapes, or similar – so that staff members can identify which items of clothing belongs to each Resident, and to prevent losses. If you would like assistance with this, please do speak to a member of staff at the home.

We endeavour to ensure each Residents’ clothing is washed and returned to them, and we apologise again that on this occasion this has not happened.

Thanking you again for taking the time to provide really helpful feedback about the home. We value all feedback and ensure it is recorded and acted upon.

Since my mother has been at Yew trees at Dunkinfield the staff and management have been good. We can speak with them on the phone to see if my mother has been okay, so I say all the staff caring for my mother have been good.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Extremely Likely

The home is very friendly and look after my mum very well. The staff are brill and the activities are always going on which help the residents enjoy themselves. I am always made very welcome every time I go to see my mum. I would recommend this home to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Yew Trees? Likely

Submit a Review for Yew Trees

posted 16 Apr 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

December 2017

Helen

Helen Johnson

Introducing Helen Johnson
Home Manager at Yew Trees, Dukinfield

What does ‘kindness’ mean to you?

“I believe that kind care involves going the extra mile to offer people choice and independence wherever possible.”

Helen has gained more than 17 years’ experience in providing care and support to older people, to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and committed leader who is passionate about delivering the highest standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Helen joined Yew Trees as Home Manager because she closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She extends this caring approach to her colleagues and works closely with them to deliver care and support to Residents in a way that they gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby schools and clubs and is always keen to include the local community in life at Yew Trees.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Helen remarked: “I just love working with our Residents that are living with Dementia.”

Away from work, Helen loves nothing more than spending quality time with her family.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Yew Trees