Acorn House Care Centre

Whalley New Road, Roe Lee, Blackburn BB1 9SP

Acorn House Care Home is a residential care service, offering elderly people with a number of sensitive needs an accommodation in which they can achieve a pleasing day-to-day life, while also providing dementia care where required.

The service is set up to achieve high care standards, is regularly reviewed and respected and open to new healthcare and product developments to extend capabilities for the sake of its residents.

An activities programme is very popular amongst residents, who have their personal freedoms respected in pursuing any other goals they wish.

Group: Countrywide Care Homes Ltd

Person in charge: Rebecca Balshaw (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 32 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Acorn House Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Acorn House Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 20 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Acorn House Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.581 for Acorn House Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (162 Excellents x 5) + (50 Goods x 4) + (23 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 236 Ratings = 4.581

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Acorn House Care Centre is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6.4 positive Reviews (32 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 6.4 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Acorn House Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.581) from 20 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Acorn House Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Acorn House Care Centre

My father in law came to Acorn House in October. When he arrived he had not been taking his medication correctly (diabetic) and had not been eating properly hence an ulcer had developed on his heel. His temperament was not good either. Within a couple of months he had improved tremendously and now he is doing really well. Medically no ulcer or trace of, he is happy and content. This is down to the whole team at Acorn. He is fed wonderful meals with some treats made by the cook to suit his diabetes. The nursing and care staff are happy and will do what they can to please we are lucky to have them there.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Staff handle difficult situations calmly. My father was not the easiest when he first went to Acorn, this was a big move for him. Since being at Acorn his health, wellbeing and temperament have improved.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Likely

A very friendly and caring environment. Mum is happy, settled and safe.

Surroundings are clean and modern. Food is hot, tasty and plentiful.

I am very happy with mum's place.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Likely

Very satisfied with the care and attention given to my mum during her time at Acorn House. Care has changed appropriately as her condition has deteriorated. Big shout out to all the staff!

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Having only been here just a short time it's been very nice can't say it's like home but I don't know if it can get better I don't know I've never lived in a care home before. It's something I'll have to get acclimatised too. Thank you for my care so far.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Likely

We would like to express our sincere thanks and gratitude to all the staff at Acorn House. Our father was admitted for 6-week respite care following a long period of ill health and self-neglect. Since his admission 2 weeks ago he has come on leaps and bounds. He looks well and feels special. It's great we have our dad back. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very good home. Helpful and caring staff who are looking after mum well.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Likely

I was admitted to Acorn House on the 21 September 2017 very ill and unable to move. Since that time, I have been given first-class care and am now able to walk with support due to the care I have received.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

This is our first time experiencing a care home environment, staff friendly. Only things would like to see is more activities for residents as feel at times my mum is bored and resorts to her room as nothing happening. Staff at times limited, at times need more. Would be nice for residents to receive newsletters especially as staff seem to be changing etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Likely

Rebecca Balshaw, Manager at Acorn House Care Centre responded to this review on 02 Mar 2018:

There have been a few changes of recent times with the staff at Acorn House as stated in the review, from the manager to recruiting new staff in all departments. We have now recruited several new staff members to our team in all departments and they have just completed their induction training. With regards to the activities, we have had several meetings to discuss a new programme going forward with more choice of activities, 1-1 sessions and newsletters monthly. These newsletters will display events that took place throughout the month as well as provide information on staffing and upcoming events taking place. I appreciate your comments on the review and hope that going forward you see the improvements we are making to amend these issues, but if you have any problems please do not hesitate to see me at any time.

My Mother was resident at Acorn House Blackburn from June 2015. Sadly Mum passed away on November 16th 2017 at Acorn House.
During her time at Acorn House she was extremely happy and had excellent care.
All aspects at Acorn were excellent from the weekly activities arranged by staff, cleanliness of the home to the high quality of meals served.
All the above were well above expectations but most of all the Staff were very professional, loving, caring and treated Mum with greatest respect and dignity.

From the receptionist, care manager and all staff at every level they were simply superb.
During the last month of my Mums life, I cannot praise the whole of the staff highly enough, not only with the way they treated her during some difficult days but their attitude and friendship shown to my family. Again first class.

Please pass on our thanks to all at Acorn House.
I would have no hesitation in highly recommending Acorn House.

Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Stayed for a month after my operation. Really enjoyed the stay, staff work hard and are always happy and willing to help with everything people my need. I would recommend to friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Likely

Staff excellent, very caring and attentive doing their best in a difficult job. Home clean, activities very good and plentiful. Food very good and adequate. Room good and comfortable. Made me feel very comfortable and went the extra mile.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

This home is excellent. There are no negatives that I can see. Staff are very friendly, caring and as helpful as possible. Residents all seem happy and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very thorough and informative review covering all aspects of mums care. I voiced concerns over eye tests/dentist these have been actioned promptly and relevant appointments made. I feel able to speak to staff about any issues at all, confident that action will be taken. Very helpful having a review so I can see how mum is doing.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Can't fault any aspect of mums care. She's content happy clean and well fed.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mum was admitted to Acorn House in March 2016. Since being a resident Mum has received first rate care and attention and her quality of life so greatly improved.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

When I came to look around Acorn House, I didn't hesitate to come and stay here, everyone was welcoming. The home is very clean and organised. I like to put the music on and dance with the others that live here. I am enjoying staff and residents company. Nothing is ever too much for the staff. I also enjoy home-made cakes and biscuits with a cup of coffee.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I find the home very clean and comfortable. I enjoy joining the activities and get plenty of good food and drinks. Most days I have a good laugh. The staff help everybody.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

As soon as we walked in the door we had a good feeling about Acorn House. We can visit anytime of day and the staff including management always make us feel welcome and are very helpful, easy to get along with and friendly. The home is very clean with pleasant rooms which have en suite toilet and wash basin. Activities are organised in the mornings and now and again there are trips out. The home also organise hairdresser, foot care etc. if needed. The food is very tasty and is well suited to the age group its providing for. Acorn House gives us great peace of mind.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I cannot express just how fantastic Acorn House and all its staff are! This has been such a difficult year for us as a family, my dad moved into the home in January this year and it was one of the hardest decisions we have ever had to make. I have to say we were very dubious and very inexperienced with this as it isn't something we have ever had to deal with before, dad had always been very independent so when we were told he would not be able to live alone any longer we were completely at a loss! We searched high and low for the right place which was extremely difficult, I began to think that such a place didn't exist, we saw some real horror stories! We are from Leyland and dad was at first in a home near there until they told us that we had to find another place for him, they said they were'nt staff sufficient to cater for his needs, this was a big blow to us and so the search started again! I work in Blackburn and that's how I came across Acorn House, from the moment I stepped through the door I felt completely at ease, we turned up unannounced which was far from a problem to anyone there. We were shown around in great detail, nothing was too much trouble and that standard has never slipped once! We as a family are so happy that we found Acorn House, dad is so settled, so well looked after we just couldn't ask for better. I would highly recommend Acorn House to anyone, everything about this place is amazing especially the staff, they are truly special people and I personally cannot thank them enough for everything that they have done and continue to do for both my dad and our family. If you are looking for a care home for a dear relative then look no further, you will not find a better place than this.

Submit a Review for Acorn House Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Acorn House Care Centre