Eden Cottage Care Home, Darlington, Durham

Eden Cottage is a “home from home” where residents can feel at home in a friendly, secure and relaxed environment. Professionals strive to preserve and maintain the dignity, individuality and privacy of residents and remain sensitive to each person’s ever-changing needs.

All residents are treated as individuals and are encouraged to enjoy life at the Home and to maximise their intellectual, social and physical potential. Staff recognise that family and friends have an invaluable part to play in a resident’s wellbeing, and encourage visits whenever possible.

All staff are appropriately qualified to ensure that they deliver the highest standards of care. Staff undergo continuous training and development of their skills and experience to ensure that they maintain these standards at all times.

Eden Cottage is a family run business which was established in 1989. They provide 24 hour residential care, day care and respite care for older people. The building is a single storey building with no stairs or lifts to undertake. It is set in beautifully kept picturesque gardens. There are 20 bedrooms with en-suite facilities, all furnished to a high standard to provide maximum comfort and safety. There are two bathrooms, complete with hoist facilities and a walk-in shower room.

There is a large communal lounge with excellent music centre facilities where all of the activity sessions are held. There is also a small quiet lounge, situated at the front of the home, overlooking the beautiful garden for those residents who wish to relax in peace. They have a large dining room where meals are served which is fitted with a 62" flat screen where films are shown and special events are broadcast.

The home also has a landscaped decking area at the rear of the home where residents and their visitors can enjoy endless hours of sunshine in the summer months.

Owner: Eden Cottage Care Home Ltd

Person in charge: Joanne Wedge (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Darlington Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 22 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Car park to the front of the home

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Eden Cottage Care Home: click here

9.8 Eden Cottage Care Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.821)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Eden Cottage Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Eden Cottage Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.821 for Eden Cottage Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (211 Excellents x 5) + (35 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 251 Ratings = 4.821

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Eden Cottage Care Home is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 4.4 positive Reviews (22 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 4.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Eden Cottage Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Eden Cottage Care Home

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

My sister is being cared for at Eden Cottage and she is very happy there. The care, warmth and friendliness are second to none. With only 22 residents it's like living in one big happy family. The staff are all very helpful and pleasant when dealing with any queries that may arise. It is a pleasure to visit at any time I always feel welcome and always greeted with a smile. The activities are also excellent such as chair exercises, sing a longs, bingo and coach trips. It is a very good place to be and the knowledge that my sister is getting such good care and attention is all important.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

When looking for a care home for my Nan, I was delighted that I had found this lovely little place tucked away. As soon as you walk through the door the staff and management made us feel welcome. The homely atmosphere was apparent straightaway. My Nan received the full care and support that she needed, the staff and management were extremely caring and nothing was a hassle to them. My Nan thoroughly enjoyed the food and loved going out on bus trips that the care home provided. I couldn't have asked for a better place for my Nan to be, and would definitely recommend this home to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very friendly staff and residents welcoming. The lady who worked in the kitchen will make any cake or scone that we wanted.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

I visit Eden Cottage every week, the staff are all very caring, you are asked if you would like a cup of coffee or tea. The owner always stops to have a chat if he passes.
The residents all look well cared for, their hair is washed and blow-dried weekly.
As you enter Eden Cottage there is always a smell of home cooked food and cakes each day. Security is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very satisfied with the care and attention received by my Uncle. The carers and support staff are very friendly and caring. There is a good range of stimulative activities in which he participates whenever he can, he particularly enjoyed the animals that came in. His room is always nice and clean and he has settled in it.

By way of constructive feedback, if I were to comment, not complain, on anything it would be the food, it is occasionally lacking flavour, in particular, the fish and chips, which are my Uncle's favourite dish. However having said that both my Uncle and I are aware that it may be a thankless task. The only other comment I would make is that his room would benefit if there were an extractor fan in the toilet as odours tend to linger.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

Joanne, Manager at Eden Cottage Care Home responded to this review on 07 Feb 2017:

Thanks for your review, can we just make you aware that there is a fully functioning extractor fan in your uncle's en suite if you pop to see us next time you're here we can point it out to you.
Thanks for your feedback regarding food and drink, we will take on board what you have said and pass it on to the head chef who will liaise with your uncle to see if there is anything he can do to make the meals more appealing to him.

My friend had respite care in Eden Cottage and I was really impressed with the care she received there. I visit other homes and have to say Eden Cottage is a cut above them, residents interact and there is always something going on. With the relationships between residents and the staff, there is such a breath of fresh air. I have already recommended Eden Cottage to a neighbour.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

My grandma was in Eden Cottage for only a short period of time last summer, she was well cared for, she settled in really quickly and it was nice to see her so happy after she was so sad to leave her own home, she was encouraged to make friends and still managed to get out on trips that the home organised for their residents.
I think the fact that the home was so small helped her settle easier than she would have in a big place. The staff were fantastic and she always commented on the fact that they couldn't do enough for her, nothing was too much trouble and she always told us how understanding they were which made us as a family feel better about her going in to care.
My family have all spoken about the bad press that care homes tend to receive which made us quite nervous about her moving to a home but after our experience, we have nothing but good things to say about the home and would encourage people looking for a place for their relative to look no further than Eden Cottage.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have been coming to visit my friend now for about six months and i come to all the coffee afternoons, i really enjoy them, all the old fashioned cakes are baked beautifully they are delicious, the dining room is turned into a little tea room where me and my friend can spend the afternoon chatting, enjoying the cakes and meeting other people.
The staff all make us feel very welcome, my friend is extremely well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mum resided in Eden Cottage for the last 5 years of her life. After being reluctant initially, she agreed to a trial period to see if it really was for her. As soon as she moved in, the staff began to encourage her to socialise and join in with the activities programme. In no time at all she had developed an extremely good friendship with two ladies in the same corridor which I think helped her to make the decision to stay permanently. Whilst living there she also became close to the staff and began to refer to them as her 'friends', I was delighted by this and felt happy when leaving her after my visits as I felt that she had the support she needed, both physically and mentally. I would not hesitate to recommend this small family care home to anybody.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother is very happy at Eden Cottage and we've seen a big improvement in her. She has made some good friends and is back to her old self. The management and staff are very helpful. I would definitely recommend Eden Cottage. Many thanks.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

Prior to accepting respite care for my Father In Law, my wife and I were very reluctant to let "someone else" care for her father who lives with us and has various medical issues, most particularly dementia.
I visited several care homes in the area, but on entering Eden Cottage in Darlington, I realised that it was going to provide the care which we needed. There was a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere, from staff AND residents all of whom seemed happy, and well cared for. It sounds like a cliche, but it was almost like walking into someone's home. Residents were keen to engage with me and spoke highly of the home and the staff.
The actual experience for my father in law was very positive, he left Eden saying that he would be happy to return. He was more talkative when he returned home which "told" us that he was being engaged with. His personal needs are quite demanding but were met completely. Our batteries are now recharged.
Highly recommended, and we'll be back!
Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am extremely grateful to all staff/management and owners of Eden Cottage who cared for my aunt and for the support to family following her passing. I visit many homes due to my work and Eden Cottage was without doubt the home I wanted my aunt to go to and from her initial visit then short stay she was looked after with respect, dignity and all her needs met with patience and understanding. On behalf of the family I would like to thank you all and wish you every success for the future of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mam has always been treated with care by the staff and is treated as an individual who is valued and respected. She has been made to feel that she belongs there and is happy and content, she joins in and enjoys all of the activities. I have always found that staff have been supportive to me and are happy to discuss my Mams needs and adapt them to what she requires. I have the assurance of knowing that my Mam is safe and comfortable. I know that I will be made aware of any concerns that the staff have. I could only make positive recommendations about this care home. I would describe the care home as small, friendly and homely.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

Love this little home, it has the most lovely atmosphere which is clearly due to all the wonderful staff and the way they interact with each other and with the residents of the home. It is so evident that the residents are treated like family by the staff. I am so pleased that my friend found this home for her respite care.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lovely relationship between management, staff, residents and families. Good cheerful banter around the home. Small, intimate - everyone knows everybody. Staff really know the residents and their life stories, and what makes them tick. Fabulous food - including Christmas lunch. Family can join residents for meals. TV not in the lounge - brilliant. I totally trust the staff here.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

Overall, this is a nice friendly family run care home, and has a nice atmosphere, the staff are very caring and patient with the residents,
Also what is nice for the residents, and the visitors, is the members of staff/carers are the same, and not constantly changing, which allows residents, carers and visitors to build a relationship of trust, and approachability.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Likely

I know that if I go away my mum is being looked after a great relief. I do find the ringing the door bell to enter a pain but understand why it is so. Mum was upset that she needed to go into a care home but seems to have settled. She would like to have a quicker response to her needs (toilet) but again I understand the staff are busy and might have other priorities at that time, and its not a 1 to 1 care.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Likely

All the staff are very caring and express a genuine interest in ensuring Mum is happy and that she is always aware of the various activities on offer.

Mum moved to Eden Cottage from independent living due to advancing dementia.

The staff are trained and understand the needs of people with dementia, and the Cottage provides Mum a safe place in which to live.

I receive a warm welcome every time I visit and any special requests in relation to Mum's needs/preferences are always taken into account.

I am very pleased we chose Eden Cottage and hope that Mum continues to be happy there.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

I had been taking care of an elderly neighbour for a couple of years before he had a fall which resulted in him being admitted to hospital and eventually moving to this home.
On visiting him, it was clear how much care he was receiving from how well kept he looked and on the relationships he had built with the staff there, he couldn't praise them enough, nothing was too much trouble for them.
I had my reservations about care homes from all the bad press they receive, if every home offered the standards of care that this one does, they would get a much better reputation.
The home is really small which I think created a more homely feel and made it much easier to settle in.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

My grandmother resided in Eden Cottage for a year and we were delighted with her care.
Before moving to Eden Cottage she had become withdrawn and reclusive, after the move, she thrived and become socially active again, engaging with fellow residents and joining in with the homes activity programme.
We are so appreciative to all of the staff and are very pleased that we have found this page so that we can recommend the home to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Eden Cottage Care Home? Extremely Likely

A very homely and caring environment with the most wonderful staff who can be relied on to give attention and support to both residents and their friends and families.
I would have no hesitation in recommending their services.

Submit a Review for Eden Cottage Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Eden Cottage Care Home