The Highgate Care Home

Northgate House, 12 Hornsey Lane, Highgate, London N6 5LX

The Highgate provides care for both older people with complex care needs and younger adults with physical disabilities. Convalescence, respite and palliative care plans are also available.

Situated within large landscaped gardens in the picturesque village of Highgate, the home features tastefully decorated interiors. Accommodation includes bright and comfortable lounge areas that are ideal for entertaining or simply relaxing, as well as furnished bedrooms, some with ensuite facilities and balconies overlooking the gardens.

The home is ideally located and has good transport links with a regular bus service stopping at the top of the road and only a few minutes drive from two Northern line stations.

Residents can choose from a wide range of meal options each day, all of which are freshly prepared with seasonal ingredients. Special occasions for residents are always celebrated and often involve a homemade cake!

There's a real sense of community at The Highgate. The staff work to discover what residents enjoy doing and the home's social calendar is organised around those interests. So whether your loved one already has a hobby or would like to take up a new one, there's lots of exciting activities to get involved in.

From flower arranging and movie afternoons, to beauty mornings and visiting entertainers and shows - there is a full social calendar. Anyone is welcome to pop in and join in - whether you're a friend, relative or loved one.

Person in charge: Carol Quinn (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Islington Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 55 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): German, Hindi, Italian, Portuguese, Russian

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Highgate Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for The Highgate Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 13 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Highgate Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.303 for The Highgate Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (84 Excellents x 5) + (41 Goods x 4) + (23 Satisfactorys x 3) + (7 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 155 Ratings = 4.303

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Highgate Care Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11 positive Reviews (55 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 11 Target Reached = 1

9.3 The Highgate Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.303) from 13 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Highgate Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Highgate Care Home

• Power of Attorney/Solicitor of Resident/Service User
  • Cousin of Resident/Service User
  • Father of Resident/Service User

I have been visiting the Highgate Care home weekly now for over two years. I have always found the standards of care very high and most satisfactory. The activities are well suited to my cousin's situation.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 08 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your review and kind words. It is so good to hear that your cousin is enjoying the activities on offer.

The home is kept scrupulously clean and bright and has a high standard of furnishing and maintenance. Above all, the staff without exception appear to be dedicated to their job of looking after their patients.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home.

The Highgate Nursing Home's management is excellent. It is a testament to the manager and deputy manager that they keep their staff long term in every category. The environment is warm and friendly and doesn't have any kind of nursing home smell. It is very pleasant to visit. One always wishes for more of every kind of care for one's loved ones but given that one to one care is impractical, the level of care given is very good.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 20 Feb 2018:

Excellent atmosphere with happy residents.
People very well looked after.
Helpful and considerate staff members.
Clean and tidy in all areas.
Generally seems to be very well run.
I would recommend to friends and family.
If the need was there for similar accommodation for them.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 12 Feb 2018:

I like The Highgate Care Home carers they are very kind to me, and I appreciate their kindness. I enjoy attending the arts and crafts and being creative. The meals are generally pretty good.
I wish at times the carers would pay attention to my call when I ring the buzzer especially when I need the toilet.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 01 Feb 2018:

My mum was admitted to the care home in July 2017. It was a difficult and emotional decision for her to make at the time but I can truly say that it was the best decision made for her and the family. I have seen a great improvement in her care and overall well being. She has now settled in well and is starting to enjoy activities such as music and art classes. It is very reassuring for the family to know that she has constant care either from one of the nurses or care assistants. Everyone has been very patient and welcoming and nothing is ever too much trouble for the care home manager. I would highly recommend this home - all the staff are very friendly and helpful. Thank you for looking after my mum so well.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review and kind words. I'm so pleased to hear that your mum is happy and settled and that she is enjoying the different activities.

I am very pleased I chose this nursing home. I feel safe here and welcomed. There is plenty going on to keep one busy and the staff are not at all pushy and fixed on routine. I can change my daily routines with ease and I certainly feel at home. My room is very comfortable and arranged how I like it.
The food choices are good and very well prepared and presented. If I don't feel up to any of the choices I can easily request any alternative within the scope of the kitchen.
I am very pleased to be able to pursue my hobbies of old and learn new things either on my own or in a group setting.
The grounds are relatively spacious and easily accessible, I love watching the squirrels from my balcony window.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased to hear that you are happy and feel safe in our care. It is lovely to hear that you are enjoying the different activities.

I moved into the home 18 months ago not very well and underweight. I have now gained weight {too much} and I am feeling so much better. The care is excellent and I am looking forward to getting my wheelchair so I can go out to the garden and start writing my books including my crime novel.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 26 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad that you have settled and are now feeling better. I hope it isn't to long before you get your wheelchair and wish you well with writing your books.

Since my husband has been a resident now for over twelve months the staff have become more friendly. As he has no quality of life I feel he is left on his own a great deal. Perhaps it would be helpful if someone could help him choose his television programmes in the evening? He is missing male company greatly.
Quite often the dining room is not open at weekends.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

My family and I agreed that we should have a care home with clear links to the local neighbourhood. Research enabled us to reduce our short list to half a dozen homes which we further refined. Highgate emerged as a clear winner after a face to face visit. After a year that choice has been vindicated certainly in value for money terms.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 05 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

Further to our positive feedback review in May, our mother continues to be happy and her furthering care demands are well catered for.

Recently she had a health episode which was dealt with swiftly and with the utmost efficiency - from the care workers through to the immediate medical support team. This reinforced our confidence and renewed our acknowledgement of the merits of outstanding care in all aspects of the Highgate Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review. I hope that your mother's health is on the mend. I'm so glad to hear that your mother is happy and well cared for and know that this will give you peace of mind also.

In the 8 months that our mother has resided at The Highgate we have been delighted with her care and attention to her needs. She is very happy and content. We would value a 6 month more formal evaluation of her changing needs. This could be helpful to us, our mother and the home. However, individual communication between staff and us is good and regular. Bathroom and WC (public) needs upgrading.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 25 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager and have highlighted the upgrade to the bathroom.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The care given to my daughter since her admission has been first class and has been maintained ever since. The staff seem to us to show genuine fondness towards her above and beyond the excellent nursing care. Staff are also very welcoming to us when we visit - which is not very frequently.

How likely would you be to recommend The Highgate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Highgate Care Home responded to this review on 26 Nov 2016:

Submit a Review for The Highgate Care Home

posted 20 Apr 2018

Furnished ensuite bedrooms, some over looking the gardens. Residents are encouraged to personalise their rooms with bringing small items from home. The home within easy reach of Highgate village and has good transport links.

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Highgate Care Home