Cumberland

67 Whitford Gardens, Mitcham CR4 4AA

Cumberland care home in Mitchum, Surrey, is a skilled dementia care facility courtesy of care provider Care UK, one of the country's growing and widely-respected healthcare experts.

The home has 48 rooms available to practice a person-centred care approach, placing great emphasis on personal dignity and providing as many opportunities as possible for those with dementia to develop their personal confidence and independent living skills.

Cumberland maintains strong links with the local community, often inviting local schools, churches and other groups to take part in social events, much to the delight of residents.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Mariana Motocu (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Merton Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 56 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Cumberland: click here

The Review Score of 7.9 (maximum of 10) for Cumberland is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 9 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Cumberland in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.4 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.472 for Cumberland is calculated as follows: ( (57 Excellents x 5) + (43 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 106 Ratings = 4.472

The 3.429 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Cumberland is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 11.2 positive Reviews (56 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 11.2 Target = 0.179

7.9 Cumberland has a Review Score of 7.9 (7.901) from 9 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Cumberland?

Reviewer Connection to Cumberland

• Volunteer

My husband came to Cumberland from hospital in quite a distressed state. He has settled well now due to the kind attention from staff.
He has Alzheimer's, severe arthritis and is incontinent so needs a lot of help, which he gets.
The quality of his food is generally fine, but rather boring. He seems to get no fruit which he likes.
It would be good if he could be taken out of his room sometimes to be with people, maybe for a musical event for example.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Cumberland responded to this review on 06 Dec 2017:

I am incredibly happy to hear that your husband has settled into Cumberland so well and I am delighted to read your comments and see your excellent scores, particularly for the team at the home. I understand that, due to your husband’s physical requirements, it can be difficult for him to move around the home, even with the aid of the team, but of course we will always try our best to make sure he is included where possible. I understand from our lifestyle and care team that your husband is also able to take part in a number of one-to-one activities which he enjoys. In regards to the fruit, we do provide snacks, including fruit, for all residents three times a day and I believe that you have now been able to speak to the home manager and that we are making sure that this includes some fruit that your husband particularly likes. Thank you again for your taking the time to submit your review, and please do let us know now or at any time in the future if you have any comments, questions, issues or requests, and we’ll be happy to help.

My husband arrived at Cumberland early September and to be honest I was very concerned about nursing and care homes due to things I heard in the media about very poor care and neglect. However, so far the staff, care and environment at Cumberland are professional and attentive. The staff listen to relatives and respond very quickly. We, as a family, are happy with Cumberland and hope they can have from good to outstanding. More money into the budget would be worth looking into to help with moving forward.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

I visited a resident at Cumberland home in Mitcham. I have been doing so for 8-9 years. I was impressed by the care staff and how they delivered care to this resident They were attentive, pleasant and showed passion for their work. I felt the resident's mental health had improved from previous visits. I put this down to the nurses interaction and care. The manager showed strong care leadership.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident for the past five months. From the very first time we visited the home we were welcomed by all the staff. The staff deliver a high standard of care and are always very cheerful. It is difficult for a family member to move into long term care, but this has been made easier by the care and concern of all the staff, not only for my father but for my mother and the rest of our family.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

I am a regular visitor to the Cumberland Care Home to see my brother, I think the care home is well run, clean and tidy. The staff have to deal with a variety of residents, all with their own particular problems, sometimes staff shortages and the need for many residents needing one to on supervision. The need to physically handle the transportation of most residents, for dining and personal requirements, adds to the pressure on the staff.

Even so I see a lot of personal reaction between the staff and residents which makes the residents feel more comfortable, and a happy environment under the circumstances that prevail. I have one other observance that is : My brother has besides his dementia, hearing difficulties, requiring hearing aids, the hearing loss is caused by the noise during working life on large printing presses. He is still able to communicate but I find the staff are not trained to cover that part of his condition, of checking the batteries or the servicing of the hearing aids, thereby restricting his participation in some of the activities in the home or communication in general, unless I do it myself.
Maybe this is something that should be renewed??
Being of an older age myself, with my own mobility difficulties I see how difficult it is for my own family and the staff to relate to the needs and thoughts of elderly residents.
I only visit for short periods of time, the home runs 24 hours a day but I appreciate the efforts made by the staff doing a very difficult job looking after my brother and the rest of the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

My wife has been a resident at Cumberland for 10 months. It has taken some time to realise what a difficult task the nurses and carers have to do hour after hour, shift after shift. They carry out their duties most professionally and with the utmost respect for their charges and with kindness and good humour. The management, admin and support staff also impress carrying out their duties to residents and visitors with respect, kindness and always with a warm welcoming smile. I thank them all for easing my wife (and me) through this last difficult period of our lives together.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

We have found clean and pleasant surroundings on every visit. We have observed patients being treated and fed where necessary with dignity and kindness. My husband has one to one 24 hour care and we have never found him unattended when we visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

After looking at several care homes I was recommended the Cumberland in Mitcham. It was the best decision I ever made. My husband is happy and settled in right away. The staff are caring and helpful. Myself, my daughter and son are always made welcome and offered tea/coffee. Although it was a hard decision to make putting my husband into care after 57 years of marriage it was effecting my health caring for him (I am 83 years old) At least I know my husband is well looked after and is happy that is my main concern.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

My siblings and I are all very happy with the Cumberland as a home to our father, who has fronto-temporal dementia. It is friendly, welcoming, clean and well-run. The staff offer a range of activities for the residents to participate in, and we are particularly impressed by their community engagement events and events for families to join in with. The staff seem to genuinely care about our father and it is nice to see how they interact with him. Overall I get the impression that this home is always trying to improve and if there are any problems, they are dealt with quickly and efficiently. We very much hope that our father will be able to stay at this home until the end of his illness.

Submit a Review for Cumberland